Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name three books that you have read in the last 5 years that made you cry

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 philcoleman

The only one I can think of is the one I ream most recently - A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. The ending just got me!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Cloud atlas and Anathem came close, both absolutely amazing books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

At Swim, Two Boys - by Jamie O Neill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

There's lots :rolleyes:

The Pact - Jodie Picoult
    Marley and Me - John Grogan
    Love Hurts - Linda Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I was alternating between a lump in the throat and a burning rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Tuesdays with Morrie, great story but I dare anyone not to cry! watching the film is even harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

- Goodnight Mr Tom
    - Harry Potter 6 & 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 radiateur

The Book Thief

The last Harry Potter

Mothers and Sons (Colm Toibin)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini my god i cried so hard, such a great book, was one of them books where once you pick it up it's so hard to put it back down. Loved It! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini my god i cried so hard, such a great book, was one of them books where once you pick it up it's so hard to put it back down. Loved It! :D

Agreed! Fabulous book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

A thousands Splended Suns was fantastic so emotional but that didn't stop me from enjoying it completely. An excellent read.
    Thiesdays with Morrie by Mitch Alborn was also fantastic and I did shed a bucket of tears, I also cried at his at his book Have a little faith as well.

But I also have to mention My sisters Keeper, the book was fantasrtic and completely pulled on my heart strings. Just so disappointing that they made such a muck up of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Wild Swans - Jung Chang

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Alborn

All three made me cry, all excellent reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have to admit that I pick up Watership Down once in a while, and it never fails to make me choke up a little :o:o
    I think Time Traveller's Wife came close as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Just finished Suttree by Cormac McCarthy probably the saddest book I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    Call of the Wild by Jack London

For the last five years anyway...

Although for unbridled gushing, fourteen years old reading The Amber Spyglass.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Valmont wrote: »
    Although for unbridled gushing, fourteen years old reading The Amber Spyglass.

+1. Also, the scene towards the end of book 2, The Subtle Knife, where the aviator, Lee Scoresby & his daemon hare die while holding off a group of soldiers as Lyra makes her escape. That opened the tear ducts a bit too.

Others would be Timbuktu by Paul Auster, the dog crossing the motorway at the end.

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee, where the professor loads the dog carcasses into the incinerator (i'm an animal person clearly:rolleyes:).

Advertisement