Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Router for me?

• 19-11-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Firstly to say to the mods, I already posted this in the 'wireless' forum but it doesn't get as much action as over here so i'm hoping to get a response here if its ok!

I recently changed from Eircom broadband to UPC 30mb Broadband, and unfortunately there's some areas in the house that are only getting one bar of signal due to the crappy cheap router that UPC supply as standard.

Anyway i'm basically looking for a good Wireless N router that will give out good range. I dont need anything fancy like media storage or anything like that.

I was looking on Komplett and found these 2 routers...

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/...W/default.aspx

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/...E/default.aspx

I've read a few reviews on the the first Cisco Linksys one there and it seems to do everything I'll need it to. ie. extend the range.

Does anyone have any opinions on any of these routers or can you suggest any other ones for me please??

Thanks alot!

Bubba!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

I can vouch for this router,
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/15478369/Linksys_Wireless_N_Broadband_Router_WRT320N/WRT320N_EW/default.aspx

Linksys, Cisco routers are very solid. I have a lot of PCs, Notebooks, Games consoles attached to mine, i even share with my next door neighbour, so there can be up to 15 devices attached to it, with no lag or latency.
    Im surprised you say the UPC one is rubbish though, as they now use Cisco routers that are very good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Bubba wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinions on any of these routers or can you suggest any other ones for me please??

It would be easier to give an opinion if you fix the links first :rolleyes:

Also before you go out and buy a new router, check first that the problem isn't caused by interference. Download & install InSSIDer and see what the signal strengths & interference are like in the weak areas. If you've got a lot of other wireless signals on the same channel as yours then changing your channel to a quieter one might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

bhickey wrote: »
    It would be easier to give an opinion if you fix the links first :rolleyes:

Also before you go out and buy a new router, check first that the problem isn't caused by interference. Download & install and see what the signal strengths & interference are like in the weak areas. If you've got a lot of other wireless signals on the same channel as yours then changing your channel to a quieter one might help.

Hi Ya, any suggestions on good tools to download and try for signal monitoring? I stuck a linksys 610n on my UPC gateway as wireless was crap on UPC box - each evening when I came home and by Blackberry associated, the wireless would fall over for everything and restart was required. Had issues originally, on Linksys, as I was sending all types (B,G,N) out on both radio's but when I switched to dedicated radio's it made big difference but still get drop offs in far corners of house - chatting to neighbours they said same and we think houses may possibly be well built and solid...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

As mention above, best signal monitoring tool is inssider 2.0
    And its free. Cordless Dect phones are also know to mess with wi fi signals.
    Doubt if thats your problem though. If range is the issue you can get another router of the same make and set it to bridging or repeater mode. Not all makes or models support that, so check it out 1st

Advertisement