Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options
  • 19-11-2010 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

ORLY?

/ValveTime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'm shocked! Shocked! Well, not that shocked. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I've no problem waiting, one thing about Valve, they don't do shovelware. If they need extra time to make sure the game is as good as it possibly can be then thats fine with me. It's just a pity that more gaming companies are not as committed to quality as these boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Didn't even know the old release date, so now I've got April to look forward to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

tman wrote: »
    Didn't even know the old release date, so now I've got April to look forward to! :)

You'll look forward to it even more come next winter! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

delayed till april 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wossack wrote: »
    delayed till april 1st?

Which in Valve time is Q2 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, at least you know that time will be well spent tweaking the game. Valve are one of the last companies that make sure their end product is as good as can be on release.

Next year is shaping up good for games, Portal 2, Duke Nukem, Crysis 2, Deus Ex Revolution...........possibly HL: Episode 3 (at least this time next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Booo first Little Big Planet now this !!!

Was looking forward to both for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

eddhorse wrote: »
    Booo first Little Big Planet now this !!!

Was looking forward to both for Xmas
    The original release date was February :pac:

It will be a long christmas !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Similar to Wizards

"Valve games are never late, they arrive precisely when they mean to" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If Valve announced that they needed the blood of a dozen virgins to make sure Portal 2 was perfect when it was released then I would probably forgive them.

Let's just be thankful that all they need is a little more time.

True, id prefer them to take their time rather than release it and have to patch it ! Co-op portalisms whoo baby !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Am i the only one thats not that excited about portal 2 ? the first one was good no doubt but it wasn't a game that lasted longer than a few days for me. I wished valve would just get a move on and get episode 3 done... or even better.. get cracking on half life 3 !! Its been nearly 6 years since half life 2 !!!

Portal and l4d can go **** ! Gimmi a new half life game and engine along with the countless goodies that come with it in terms of mods and **** !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Valve? Delay a game? Never!

I am not that excited about it either. The first one was good and original and all but by the end I just wanted to get out of the bloody factory or compound or whatever it was.

Where's Gordon Freeman? Please, I need closure.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The secret is to not get your hopes up (EVER) about when a valve game might come out. That way when they push it back (AGAIN), you wont care as much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They're just upgrading it to the new HL3 engine - for release with HL3. :cool:

... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Healium wrote: »
    Don't you really mean NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(where the O's are portals)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just going to assume that this is the "official" Portal 2 thread :P

PS3 players can play with PC and Mac players including voicechat.

The PS3 copy also comes with a free copy of the PC/Mac version if you sync your Steam account :o

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/portal-2-on-ps3-features-cross-platform-chat-multiplayer-and-a/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just going to assume that this is the "official" Portal 2 thread :P

PS3 players can play with PC and Mac players including voicechat.

The PS3 copy also comes with a free copy of the PC/Mac version if you sync your Steam account :o

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/portal-2-on-ps3-features-cross-platform-chat-multiplayer-and-a/

We get cross system chat but no cross game chat?

The console versions of games usually run for €10 or so more than the PC version may get this on PS3 just to have the option, but there is going to have to be some serial code in the box the same as comes with steam games on PC to register to an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This is pretty awesome news. Not even just for portal, but any future games. This deal with valve will be huge, especially when the next generation of consoles are released... maybe we could see full steam intergration on the PS4 ?? Would be amazing if it had Keyboard and mouse compatablity aswel, for us broke asses that cant afford a proper gaming PC !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Don't ya just love Valve! I was having trouble deciding which platform to go with, as I am without a proper gaming rig for the foreseeable future, but it would feel wrong buying a Valve game on PS3. Now I get both with the one purchase. Nice to see a developer and Sony doing something right. This is why open platforms are a good thing - I'm looking at YOU Xbox Live!

I <3 you Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

they need to do something like that to give portal 2 value like they have with this PS3+pc version.

As a standalone game - I would not have purchased the original if it had not been part of the orange box, it was an innovative concept no doubt but the original game itself was nothing more then a sourcemod that happened to be a little bit too complex/lucrative to be given away for free. i am genuinely not that excited about this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Its funny when valve put a month on the release date, i think the more pertinent information is what year!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hercule wrote: »
    As a standalone game - I would not have purchased the original if it had not been part of the orange box, it was an innovative concept no doubt but the original game itself was nothing more then a sourcemod that happened to be a little bit too complex/lucrative to be given away for free. i am genuinely not that excited about this game.

As a standalone game, i definitely would have bought it. It was short, but it was an amazing game. It was fun, funny and bloody clever. As a massive fan of Valve, i absolutely can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Portal did with an fps engine, something new and unique, a puzzle game based on fictional phisics. It took the known user interface of fps, and applied it to a problem solving 3D platformer.

Half of Portal was training though, now that portal guns are like second nature to gamers, they can start doing mad stuff with huge maps, >2 portals, co-op etc.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Hercule wrote: »
    it was an innovative concept no doubt but the original game itself was nothing more then a sourcemod that happened to be a little bit too complex/lucrative to be given away for free. i am genuinely not that excited about this game.
    Really? Portal was one of the best received games of 2007, a game that won quite a few GOTY awards. I think it's a bit of a push calling it 'nothing more than a sourcemod'. I totally understand people not liking the game or not thinking it's that great, but seriously, the fantastic level design, innovative approach to puzzle gaming, voice acting and narrative are not on par with a sourcemod. Portal is much, much better than that. I don't think you're the only one who wouldn't have given the game a shot though if it hadn't been included with The Orange Box though, as it's quite different from Valve's usual releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i doubt i would ever have played it except for the orange box.
    What a great game !!! Cannot wait for 2. I went back and played through portal again not so long ago. It would be nice to have portal 2 longer, and maybe more challenging if it going to be a stand alone game though, or else having the price reduced. Full price for portal 1 would have been a bit much for 4 hours gameplay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Free Mac copy with the PS3 version? I was just going to go with the Mac version, but **** it that's a pretty decent idea on Valve's side. I would be with GothPunk in thinking a Valve game on Playstation is inherently incorrect, but sure why not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Ok perhaps people are misinterpreting what I am saying -imo Portal 1 is a complex sourcemod, thats not belittling it to the rank of "rubbish sourcemods" I am not lumping it in with the hundreds of crap/unfinished sourcemods - You could arguably define CSS/DODS/TF2 as sourcemods too - it doesn't de-merit a game - I don't however believe it belongs on the shelf at the same price as the "full" games churned out by Ubisoft/EA/Bioware/Blizzard et al.

the narrative/humour is good, and is particularly memorable which is rare for modern games - level design was good also, I would be insane to even question how innovative the whole concept is/was. Personally I enjoyed breezing through the game over two or three play-through then felt no conviction to play the game ever again - uninstalled it to make room for something else.

This game belongs or in 2007 belonged in the Xbox Live arcade/indy game/Minecraft price range.

Advertisement