Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Helix wrote: »
    this game has brought more lols than any ive ever played before
    Get out. Seriously.

I have 5 days to wait. Before that, the Americans and worldwide Steam users will have it, and the internet will be full of talk and spoilers.

It's going to be enough torture to wait :(

P.S. GLaDOS isn't even booted up http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

You're a damn liar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

one name that i care for stephan merchant , though i need a game now ever so badly with karl pilkington as the voice character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

one name that i care for stephan merchant , though i need a game now ever so badly with karl pilkington as the voice character

Preferably with dialogue written by Pilkington himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Burgo wrote: »
    There is a leaked copy, but no crack for it apparently.
    well i have it pre-loaded on my PC, so yeah, you could say theres a "leaked" copy of it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

1 2 3 Kick It is now complete. Looks like the next target is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

1 2 3 Kick It is now complete. Looks like the next target is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Wonder if the games are weighted in anyway when it comes to making a difference. Killing floor has a huge amount of players compared to the others but is lagging way behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mantel wrote: »
    Wonder if the games are weighted in anyway when it comes to making a difference. Killing floor has a huge amount of players compared to the others but is lagging way behind.

Its now assumed that they are weighted differently. Also, it now seems that the "Axillary Power" aka potatoes collected does actually mean something. GLaDOS can overclock the CPU's after a certain amount of potatoes have been collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The next person to post a spoiler NOT IN SPOILER TAGS gets an infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Its now assumed that they are weighted differently. Also, it now seems that the "Axillary Power" aka potatoes collected does actually mean something. GLaDOS can overclock the CPU's after a certain amount of potatoes have been collected.

plus its something that'll make sense
    about half way through portal 2

quite clever actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Current projected launch 62hrs 55mins
    Default launch 64hrs 25mins

Looks like its only gonna knock a few hours off the release time. Which is a good thing. The release time would have been at midnight, if they knock a few hours off we can play it in the evening of the 18th

• Advertisement

So, got this from the ARG wiki
    ---LOG FROM [ REDACTED ], BY J.H. TO C.J.---

1. We designed the entire thing to be very, very durable. It was easy to get the materials since everyone's been thinking
    it's a simple icebreaker ship. Ha.

2. We have made sure to strip it of anything not necessary, so that we have plenty of space for it. It doesn't have any
    backup supplies in the event the crew runs out of food, though. And there isn't much food onboard in the first place.

3. In the event you need to send it off all of a sudden, use the OR box with code 'hb1'.

That's all, C.J. Not much else I can tell you other than this won't leave a blight on our record. Mesa is going to be sore
    when they see what we've done.

*drools*

(Don't see this as a spoiler. Merely speculation. HALF LIFE, PLZ. That Achievement BETTER be about the damn Borealis)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Its obviously referring to the Borealis but its just more meaningless speculation, I know thats the whole idea of the ARG but until I actually hear something real I'm not getting too excited.

Hopefully the ship has some sort of proper role in Portal instead of just being a side gimmick to further fuel the HL hype

Krieg wrote: »
    Looks like its only gonna knock a few hours off the release time. Which is a good thing. The release time would have been at midnight, if they knock a few hours off we can play it in the evening of the 18th

Some of the calculations are predicting as little as 35 hours remaining though most seem to be hovering around the 40ish mark. That should put it somewhere on Monday.
    Harps wrote: »
    Its obviously referring to the Borealis but its just more meaningless speculation, I know thats the whole idea of the ARG but until I actually hear something real I'm not getting too excited.

Hopefully the ship has some sort of proper role in Portal instead of just being a side gimmick to further fuel the HL hype

I can't see how the Borealis could feature too much in Portal 2 since it's set so far in the future. Unless of course it's through old notes just lying around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not sure if this is related to the ARG yet, possibly is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Helix wrote: »
    plus its something that'll make sense
    about half way through portal 2

quite clever actually

im sorry but how on EARTH is that a spoiler?

Not sure if this is related to the ARG yet, possibly is though.

Guess we find out tomorrow.

That's one very specific time though.

Another game down, current focus is Rush.

There's now a program available to auto-switch the game at the optimum time called the GLaDOS@Home Community application.

Current focus is now Cogs if you have it, then in decreasing order of importance:

Toki Tori
    BIT.TRIP BEAT
    The Ball
    Audiosurf
    Amnesia
    Super Meat Boy
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Killing Floor

Edit: Apparently the potato modifier hasn't kicked in and won't until there are 375,466 potatoes. That might mean we could be looking at Portal 2 early tomorrow if true!

Nothing seemed to happen when that number of potatoes was hit.

Toki Tori is nearly there, focus has now been changed to Bit.Trip Beat.

If you don't have that then move on to the next most important game. The order is:

BIT.TRIP BEAT Pixel2CPUrate = .0073
    The Ball Pixel2CPUrate = .0043
    Amnesia Pixel2CPUrate = .0019
    Super Meat Boy Pixel2CPUrate = .0015
    Defense Grid: The Awakening Pixel2CPUrate = .0014
    Audiosurf Pixel2CPUrate = .0013
    Killing Floor Pixel2CPUrate = .0005

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Jet Black wrote: »
    Normally hate those kind of comics, but it made me chortle.

Also, irony:
    Many games companies have stated piracy as a reason to focus on the console market. The PC version of Portal is entirely uncracked but one can download a rip of the console versions now. Can't wait till it unlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

• Advertisement

Personally I am beginning to think that the ARG will have minimal impact on the games release . . . I think it is setup in such a way that the release has to be within a timeframe very close to the original planned release time.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Personally I am beginning to think that the ARG will have minimal impact on the games release . . . I think it is setup in such a way that the release has to be within a timeframe very close to the original planned release time.

+1 to that, I've been very suspicious of this since late Friday. The ARG was well and good, solving puzzles to progress, there was a genuine sense of community achievement when a solution would come out. But this is feeling like a waste of time, there is no puzzle solving anymore, there is just people idling in games trying to make a clock tick faster. The game has been finished for ages at this stage (at least since the console disks were made) and should have been released by now. Or, the Arg should have started a few days later so that the big countdown would appear tomorrow and launch the game on Tuesday since that's been the planned release date.

And what really sucks is that so many people in the forums (there are a lot of hardcore fans there) have had the ending spoiled because of the console leak. If the release had been on Friday many people would have been spared that and everyone would be delighted that it was available early, but I personally feel this final "challenge" has been a pointless mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Look you are all forgetting one simple principal ................................................................................................................ the cake is a lie :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I posted this exact theory on another forum the day all this started and i got lambasted for saying it.

This "ARG" is just a marketing tool so that both Valve and Portal 2 get a rub of the good-vibes indie voodoo. The first Portal was sort of a hipster-ish game and they just lap up indie stuff and augmented reality gubbins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Anyone know where usually has the best PC retail prices? (Slim pickings i know) I've got an All4one voucher with Portal 2s name on it.

calex71 wrote: »
    Look you are all forgetting one simple principal ................................................................................................................ the cake is a lie :D
    Grrr, no it's not! Ratman was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I posted this exact theory on another forum the day all this started and i got lambasted for saying it.

This "ARG" is just a marketing tool so that both Valve and Portal 2 get a rub of the good-vibes indie voodoo. The first Portal was sort of a hipster-ish game and they just lap up indie stuff and augmented reality gubbins.
    >hipster
    >indie

Don't you ever, EVER try to put those 2 words in the same paragraph again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

am i the only who didnt know they patched Portal 1? It has a different ending now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Overheal wrote: »
    am i the only who didnt know they patched Portal 1? It has a different ending now...

Quite possibly, it was part of the portal 2 announcement ARG. They also put in a new achievement and new radio transmissions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Overheal wrote: »
    what?

Advertisement