Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

If you can, head to HMV. Almost all new releases there are €45 at launch. All the big ones anyway. Anyone confirm the price in HMV?

Oh fantastic! Cheers for the tip :) (not sarcasm)

I'll check ASAP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has anyone that got the PS3 version activated their free PC copy yet? Just wondering how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Hey, seeing as I'm stuck in Korea for a while, people I know who are playing Portal 2 multiplayer are in short supply. I'm on the boardsie steam group but if anyone wants to help me out in tackling the co-op, it'd be much preferable to the cesspool that can be anonymous online gaming.
    Steam name : maccon_m

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Nowhere in Kilkenny selling it either. Went to Gamestop and told them the website said it was released yesterday. She went and checked but still refused. BAH.

Bought for the PC there yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Bought for the PC there yesterday

She said the PC version was out but the consoles weren't being sold until tomorrow. Same in HMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, retailers were allowed to sell the PC versions when it was available on Steam.

But since a number of people have gotten console versions (myself included), there must be confusion somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    Has anyone that got the PS3 version activated their free PC copy yet? Just wondering how it works.
    This should tell you how it works. As he says in the video, it couldn't be easier.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/19/portal-2-on-ps3-how-to-redeem-the-free-steam-copy-for-your-pc/#continued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

My copy from Gamestop.ie arrived in the post there at lunch time anyway. case was completely shattered but game is fine, and a day early so I'll forgive the broken case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

NotorietyH wrote: »
    My copy from Gamestop.ie arrived in the post there at lunch time anyway. case was completely shattered but game is fine, and a day early so I'll forgive the broken case!
    GODDAMNIT. Mine didn't come today, and I paid a fiver for "Express" Post :(

Healium wrote: »
    GODDAMNIT. Mine didn't come today, and I paid a fiver for "Express" Post :(

That's a balls I went with regular. It might still come today though. It arrived around lunch time for me, separate from the main post. Express post might be slightly later in the day. Are you in a city? That might be something to do with it. I ordered over a month ago too so might be processing them in the order they received 'em.

EDIT: Actually I did go with express shipping, just checked receipt.

• Advertisement

That's a balls I went with regular. It might still come today though. It arrived around lunch time for me, separate from the main post. Express post might be slightly later in the day. Are you in a city? That might be something to do with it. I ordered over a month ago too so might be processing them in the order they received 'em.

EDIT: Actually I did go with express shipping, just checked receipt.
    I checked online, and it hasn't shipped yet. Grrrr. It's probably because I ordered a used Guitar Hero game with it, but... I ordered on the 4th. Surely they sourced the damn game by now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I checked online, and it hasn't shipped yet.
    Don't trust that - mine still said "processing" despite the fact I recieved it today.

I'd say you'll get it tomorrow.

I didn't get it any notification of despatch, but I did have an inkling it was despatched yesterday (if you've internet banking, check your card and see if they have charged for the game yet. If they have, that's a good sign it's been despatched).

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Well the game engine is almost 7 and the Source Engine was delayed for years because of the development of HL2. Still though Portal is not about the graphics, so that aspect can take a back seat imo.
    I think what he means is the last time he saw colours other than brown and grey in a video game was eight years ago :P

I think it looks fantastic. It might not have the texture resolution of Metro2033 (that game has ridiculous detail) but it's incredibly real looking. It doesn't have that plasticy look that the Call of Duty and Unreal Engine games suffer from.

I checked online, and it hasn't shipped yet. Grrrr. It's probably because I ordered a used Guitar Hero game with it, but... I ordered on the 4th. Surely they sourced the damn game by now :(

DOn't worry they always say processing. My account still said it was processing my order for Bulletstorm a week after it arrived and it shipped two weeks before they estimated ship date. It still says it's processing my Portal 2 order too.

DOn't worry they always say processing. My account still said it was processing my order for Bulletstorm a week after it arrived and it shipped two weeks before they estimated ship date. It still says it's processing my Portal 2 order too.
    Hmmmm, ok. And Express Post comes separate to regular? I'll keep my hopes up that it'll arrive this evening haha.

As far as I know, there's no post from Friday until Monday or Tuesday. The THOUGHTS of having to wait that long for my copy of Portal 2 :pac:

*shivers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Does "processing" come before or after "Dispatching Soon", cuz that's been there a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I don't want to read this thread incase of spoilers but im just gonna post that I cant wait to get my hands on a copy of the ps3 version tomorrow!

Varik wrote: »
    Does "processing" come before or after "Dispatching Soon", cuz that's been there a while.

before Dispatching soon I think. That's the way it is with Amazon anyway. I'd say it's on the way.

Hmmmm, ok. And Express Post comes separate to regular? I'll keep my hopes up that it'll arrive this evening haha.

As far as I know, there's no post from Friday until Monday or Tuesday. The THOUGHTS of having to wait that long for my copy of Portal 2 :pac:

*shivers*

I think there is post on Friday as it's technically not a public holiday. Not sure. Hoping my copy of MK will arrive from Amazon then, but on t the other hand hoping it won't arrive till Monday so I can get through Portal and a bit of my backlog and mess about with infamous 2 beta. Really excited to play Portal though.

EDIT: Sorry for double post!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

I probably won't be able to pick it up until Friday. Will most game shops and places like HMV be opening on Good Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Absolutely, it's not actually even a Bank Holiday, they'll be open

• Registered Users Posts: 45 oneshotfinch

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What a shower of retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Finished the single player just there. Easily twice the length of the original, and there's a bunch of stuff I missed, like
    all those vitrified test chambers and the "missing experiment"
    , so I'll be giving it a damn good replaying once my exams are done next month. Not to mention all that co-op goodness.

Really polished from beginning to end. Great music, fantastic writing and pacing.

One small thing I didn't quite like was how they really toned down the number of puzzles requiring you to place portals while flying through the air. I played through Portal just a week ago, and The airborne puzzles there were rather less forgiving. And this is a fairly minor niggle but I preferred it when a little "loading" message popped up on the screen between sections. Sure, the world was paused, but you were still "in" it. Taking the player to a loading screen kinda breaks the immersion somewhat.

Still, there were a number of damned perplexing puzzles that had me scratching my head for ages, and the dialogue was absolutely wonderful. Excellent single player. Damn fine game. Get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I wonder if gamestop etc. are even accepting trade-ins of the PS3 version. There's nothing stopping you from using the free pc code and trading in the PS3 version the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ríomhaire wrote: »
    It might not have the texture resolution of Metro2033 (that game has ridiculous detail) but it's incredibly real looking

Too right, that thing can bring even a top end gaming rig to it's knees in DirectX 11.

I'm waiting for my 360 version to get to me and I'm going to upgrade my old gaming rig over the next couple of weeks to play this. My three year old lappy gave up about half way through the first test area. It was like a massive memory leak flaw in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

really enjoyed that fantastic game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, I've written up my impressions about the game on my blog, if anyone is interested. It does not contain any story spoilers, so don't worry :)

The vast majority I'll agree are stupid, but I do agree with the one or two people who rated a 3 or 4.

And I'll agree with all of them that complain about the price. €50 for the game is WAY too much for the amount of content you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah I really want to play this but not a chance I'm paying that much for it, gonna just wait a while and try yo avoid spoilers until the price comes down a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stopped playing at the end of chapter 7 after 4.5 hours game time as i didnt want to finish it in one go.

Seriously disappointed with it, fair enough its more portal but only a little bit more and nearly 5 times the price of the previous.

Its a good game but very short and should have 4 other titles with it for the price.

Advertisement