Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If you go to the start new game menu you will see that there are 10 chapters, and you are on chapter 4.

I must be playing too much because I just read that in GlaDOS' voice. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Basq wrote: »
    So I played the game for half an hour last night.. and about 2.5 hours tonight.

Am really enjoying it but am just starting '
    Chapter 4 - The Suprise
    ' and it's
    18/22 levels

Surely it couldn't possibly be THAT short.. I mean quality over quantity and all, but jesus! :eek:

Your not near the end your just near the good bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your not near the end your just near the good bit ;)
    I thoroughly enjoyed the end of Chapter 5 and the start of chapter 6. The start of Chapter 9:
    And then figuring out the Pit Boss achievement was brilliant. I was in the top >99.99% to get that :)

catchy end song too (sort of..well, pretty much a spoiler so dont listen until finished)

edit: from the youtube comments :D
    I don't know about you, but I didn't get my $60 from Cave Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Enjoyed the new National song in the game, worth sticking around that level to listen to:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

How long is it? Prob rent it today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I finished it in about 9 hours and I missed a good few little bits that I'm looking forward to finding on my second run through. There's a lot of extra dialogue if you wait around also. It's quite funny so it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

played till about chapter 3 or 4 last night, really enjoying it. puzzles can be a bit easy as i recently played through portal 1 again. the puzzle are meant to get harder as it goes on so heres hoping. steven merchant is very funny indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Predator_ wrote: »
    How long is it? Prob rent it today

Took me 7 hours by the Steam clock and I wasn't really rushing through it... was expecting much more from it after all this talk of it being 2-3 times longer than the original... Like others have said though, you'll want to play through it again to find bits you missed/scoop up the remaining achievements... Then there's co-op as well, Dec commentaries to listen to...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hang on, hang on, hang on. If I buy Portal 2 on the PS3, I get it FREE on the PC?

****ing sold.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Hang on, hang on, hang on. If I buy Portal 2 on the PS3, I get it FREE on the PC?

****ing sold.

Yeh , you just have to login to your steam account on the ps3 and your psn + steam account will be linked , then on steam go to games and activate a product on steam and enter the code that comes with your ps3 copy of portal 2.

Unfortunately the psn is down at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Just finished the single player last night. Superb game all in all. I did't find it as challenging as the first game but the later puzzles did take some time to solve. The humour was terrific, I really don't remember ever laughing so much while playing a game, not intentionally anyway.
    My favourite part was
    playing through the old tests from the 50's and listening to the brilliant JK Simmons as the old Aperture CEO

Do not get covered in the repulsion gel, we haven't entirely nailed down what element it is yet but it's a lively one and it does not like the human skeleton.

Hardly got any of the achievements so I'll probably go through it again, hell I'll do it just to hear the excellent dialogue once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

tman wrote: »
    Took me 7 hours by the Steam clock and I wasn't really rushing through it... was expecting much more from it after all this talk of it being 2-3 times longer than the original... Like others have said though, you'll want to play through it again to find bits you missed/scoop up the remaining achievements... Then there's co-op as well, Dec commentaries to listen to...

The steam clock has been said to be inaccurate although it said I took about 10 hours for the single player, sounds about right. Looks like another few hours for all the co-op stuff as well which is a continuation of the story instead of just extra testing levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cave Johnson Here ...

So I finished Portal 2 & according to my Steam profile I came in at 7 hours. From what I am reading this is about average.

It that short? Yes, undoubtedly.
    Does the game suffer for it's brevity. Don't be absurd.

Comparisons time. I recently bought The Witcher, having heard good things about it, and with its sequel on the horizon I figured I would give it a whirl. One of it's main selling points was a boast of 80 hours gameplay. Even old-school games rarely boasted that kind of figure. Anyway, I'm about 15 hours in at this stage, and it's as plain as day where the 80 hours are coming from - pure padding & filler. I've wasted so many hours retracing my steps, watching silly cut-scenes, etc. that I've nearly given up on the game.

On the other hand, Portal 2's 7 hours didn't feel padded; didn't feel like plots and scenarios needlessly padded to increase the time; there were few cut-scenes, set-pieces or scripted events. So those 7 hours were seven full hours of me playing the game. Not waiting for the game telling me when I can participate (step forward Homefront), but actually playing it.

And considering I spent those 7 hours with an idiotic grin on my face as I chortled at GLADOS / Wheatley / Cave Johnson's lines - all the while feeling smug for solving the latest puzzle room - what the heck more would people want?

It's like Holmes vs. Moriarty
    Or ... Aristotle vs ... SMASHY SPIKE PLATE!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pixelburp wrote: »

Comparisons time. I recently bought The Witcher, having heard good things about it, and with its sequel on the horizon I figured I would give it a whirl. One of it's main selling points was a boast of 80 hours gameplay. Even old-school games rarely boasted that kind of figure. Anyway, I'm about 15 hours in at this stage, and it's as plain as day where the 80 hours are coming from - pure padding & filler. I've wasted so many hours retracing my steps, watching silly cut-scenes, etc. that I've nearly given up on the game.

not the thread for it, but don't give up on the witcher. The tutorial and the first chapter are pretty terrible but the game proper starts in chapter 2 and from there on the story and game progresses fantastically. you're right about the back tracking but that's pretty standard for that kind of game where it isn't completely linear. the "80 hours" shouldn't be a selling point for it, but it is a nice bonus when the game picks up and you get into the world and the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Decided to go out and get my copy of Portal 2 from HMV yesterday even though I had ordered it off of amazon. The gf's brother wanted it so I said to him that he could have the amazon copy when it arrived.

Turns out my amazon copy arrived today. I gave it to him.
    Haven't got a chance to play portal 2 yet myself, so it really was a needless purchase.
    BUT!
    Inside the HMV box was a plastic pouch with the manual, disc and a piece of paper with the PC copy code on it.

Under the plastic pouch was another piece of paper with a different PC copy voucher code on it. I now have two voucher codes for the PC version. Ha.
    What to do with it???:confused:

Give it to me? I'll be your friend.

Give it to me? I'll be your friend.
    Ha. I just tried to register the steam copy there even though I hadn't play/linked my accounts on the PS3 and it wouldn't let me. Had to link them first. AND the PSN is down so I can do that.
    For you to be able to use the code you would have to be able to get your hands on the PS3 version. Think the gf's brother will have a use for it. i.e. give it to one of his mates.

Gonna play through Portal first now and hopefully it will be up and running soon enough, but I doubt it.

Nevermind. I'll still be your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Seems like Xtravision left the manuals and the PS3 activation code in the boxes on display for rental. Someone I know who shall not be named pocketed the PS3 code and then rented it. He's going to play it on the PS3 then keep the PC version. Note this is not me. I pre-ordered on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Under the plastic pouch was another piece of paper with a different PC copy voucher code on it. I now have two voucher codes for the PC version. Ha.
    What to do with it???:confused:

If you do give it to someone (me)

They'll need a copy of the PS3 game to run on their ps3 first then use the code.

You'll be giving it either to someone with a Used copy (boo!)

Or they'll need a PS3 and get a lend/rent of the game to use the PC version.

Or you can always setup another account(steam and PSN) for yourself to use for Co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I'm not sure but I think you can redeem the PS3 codes on the PC version of Steam with the "Activate a product on Steam" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think you can redeem the PS3 codes on the PC version of Steam with the "Activate a product on Steam" button.

You have to link your steam account to a PSN account first, the PSN is currently down and it is killing me.

You have to link your steam account to a PSN account first, the PSN is currently down and it is killing me.
    Yeah. Tried putting the code into Steam earlier and it said that the code for Portal must be used from a link Steam account after first plating Portal 2 on the PS3. Wouldn't let me redeem it.
    I'll probably end up giving it to the gf's lil brother so his mates can play coop with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

BAH! Just got the game today and I can't link it to my Steam account, because of the problems PSN is going through. DAMMIT, I want my cross platform play!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Bah I just finished the co-op campaign, now there's nothing left to play. Co-op is brilliant though, highly recommended that you play it if you haven't done so yet.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Creature wrote: »
    Bah I just finished the co-op campaign, now there's nothing left to play. Co-op is brilliant though, highly recommended that you play it if you haven't done so yet.

I? Jeez you'd swear you did it all by yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Finished it 100%. Singleplayer + co-op finished and all achievements gotten.

And a lot of you may not know about this button in Co-op, press Use on it, you'll spend around 10 minutes pressing it.

qwAr4.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As a mainly PC gamer, it sure is a strange feeling to find myself reading a Jim Sterling detructoid article that doesn't fill me with rage. But he is spot on on this occasion.

http://www.destructoid.com/valve-fans-whine-and-cry-about-portal-2-like-idiots-199220.phtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just finished it, that was brilliant took me ages to figure out some bits. Merchant was brilliant, very funny and GLaDOS and The other guy Cave. Lots of really funny bits and loved that song at the end.

Did not know that Nolan North (Nathan Drake in Uncharted) did some voice work in it. Think he is a broken turret or something.

Advertisement