Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I've avoided this thread all week as i don't want anything spoilt but i do have one question.
    Is the co op game completly seperate to the sp. By that i mean. If i play through single player, are the levels the same in co op?

actually 2 question. Is there replayability?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

replayability? Yes. You will want to listen to some of the dialog again, and sometimes you miss a lot of dialog. Theres a whole bit in the beginning where Wheatley is terrified of a jump, for example, that i missed on my first run. And so much more. Easter Eggs and such.

Co-Op is completely different, requires 2+2 portal mechanics, and wont spoil the single player and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

weiland79 wrote: »
    I've avoided this thread all week as i don't want anything spoilt but i do have one question.
    Is the co op game completly seperate to the sp. By that i mean. If i play through single player, are the levels the same in co op?

actually 2 question. Is there replayability?

Co-op is separate from single player, all puzzles that are designed with two players in mind.

As for re-playability, if you go for a second game it will be all the same puzzles, just depends on how bad your memory is and who you play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

pixelburp wrote: »

Comparisons time. I recently bought The Witcher, having heard good things about it, and with its sequel on the horizon I figured I would give it a whirl. One of it's main selling points was a boast of 80 hours gameplay. Even old-school games rarely boasted that kind of figure. Anyway, I'm about 15 hours in at this stage, and it's as plain as day where the 80 hours are coming from - pure padding & filler. I've wasted so many hours retracing my steps, watching silly cut-scenes, etc. that I've nearly given up on the game.

I compared it to Bulletstorn, FPS with a gimmick and quite funny.

Euro for Euro Bulletstorm tops it quite easily with replayability and high scores.

I do sound like im dissing portal 2 im not really its a good game just not worth thefull price tag.

Now im going to make a mod that puts a clock in the game and a leaderboard so times can be recorded :D tbh it really needs that and any new rooms use it. Mod made or DLC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I compared it to Bulletstorn, FPS with a gimmick and quite funny.

Euro for Euro Bulletstorm tops it quite easily with replayability and high scores.

I do sound like im dissing portal 2 im not really its a good game just not worth thefull price tag.

Now im going to make a mod that puts a clock in the game and a leaderboard so times can be recorded :D tbh it really needs that and any new rooms use it. Mod made or DLC.
    My point of comparison wasn't about quality, it was quantity. Yes Portal 2 is short, but start to finish the game was involving and enjoyable; not a moment wasted. I mentioned The Witcher because it intentionally pads out it's time with needless filler and travelling.

Hmm I'll agree to disagree that Bulletstorm was funny; not really my cup of tea :)

As for Portal 2's humour, I would love to know whether Merchant was working off a script or just ad-libbing his lines (which it felt like in places) For example, I stopped playing to listen to it all of below, hilarious stuff (not technically a spoiler as nothing's happening, but still) with Wheatley "hacking" a computer:

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »

Hmm I'll agree to disagree that Bulletstorm was funny; not really my cup of tea :)

Oh Come on Wallington P Tallywhacker was funny.

I really dont think Portal 2 is worth the asking price, comedy and gameplay wise. But it is a very good game just not enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

Anybody find any easter eggs yet.I only found one.its where you see one of the robots from the co-op

im kinda pissed. me and my brother were clearing co-op on day one. but now i find out he went and finished them behind my back with our cousin :( what a ****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Maximilian wrote: »
    I? Jeez you'd swear you did it all by yourself :)

Not at all, the Edgeless Companion Cube played a vital role!

:pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    im kinda pissed. me and my brother were clearing co-op on day one. but now i find out he went and finished them behind my back with our cousin :( what a ****er.

good luck getting him to replay it with you.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    good luck getting him to replay it with you.
    why should I care if he replays it with me or not? I can always go online. Im sorry I know you're still whining incessantly about how much of a rip off this is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I cleared the single player there last night. Steam counter says 4 hours, but i dont think thats right.. 6-7 would be closer i think.

I have to say, i'd be edging more to the dreamers75 side of thinking.

I enjoyed the game, it looked nice, it was funny but I just dont think it had the wow factor that portal had. If I was to rate it would probably get a 8/10 from me.

Now I haven't played the co-op im waiting till a buddy of mine gets the game from amazon, but unless co-op is the most magical gaming experience I have ever encountered, there is no way the game is worth the €50 they are looking for it on steam imo. Maybe with the addition of user content it will become worth that, but not yet anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you rate the game 8/10 but it's not worth 50E ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Anyone up for some co-op? I don't want to play with some smelly stranger who has already been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

What did people expect from Portal 2?
    I got exactly what I expected, and I'd have paid 60 euro for it.
    Just so happens I paid half that. So call me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

is co-op a separate game or just the campaign? bought it this morning now its on my work desk until i finish at 10pm tonight :(

I cleared the single player there last night. Steam counter says 4 hours, but i dont think thats right.. 6-7 would be closer i think.
    Im more inclined to trust the counter. What you experienced is 4 very rich hours of gameplay, which to your perception, felt like 7 hours. ;)

now im sorry the game wasnt the second coming of Christ but it was definitely worth the 45 I put into it. 40 if me and my brother had both been smart and pre-ordered at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

This game is great. Loved it so much. I cannot say how good this game is. Valve have done it again. The only complaint I have about this game is no challenge maps. Everything else is fantastic. Gameplay is amazing and the acting and story is just goddamn hilarious. Whatever the writers and actors are being paid it should be doubled. Also, did anyone else think that
    SPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

The Steam counter is buggy as hell by the way. Don't trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

ríomhaire wrote: »
    This game is great. Loved it so much. I cannot say how good this game is. Valve have done it again. The only complaint I have about this game is no challenge maps.

The Steam counter is buggy as hell by the way. Don't trust it.

Yeah, I wish there where some single player challange maps like the first game just to extend it a bit. By the looks of it there will be support from Valve for more test chambers/etc. There's that trading section in Co-op that can't be used atm after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If there's a better game than this this year, it will be a ****ing great year.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    why should I care if he replays it with me or not? I can always go online. Im sorry I know you're still whining incessantly about how much of a rip off this is :rolleyes:

And the Valve fanboi in you is constantly defending it thus feeding my whining, vicious circle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OSI wrote: »
    It's a different campaign. Different levels, characters, dialog etc...

sweet, so is it 6-7 hours as well? my nd my housemate both own portal 2 so I know we'er gonna wind up playing it while in our own rooms and yelling through the walls at each other, same with mortal kombat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was just thinking that
    But ME3 is on the horizon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You're still going to be a gun toting Space Marine in ME3.

This could be a very, very good year.
    Don't forget LA Noire, unusual as GTA game where you are a cop. Portal is something special tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Loving it so far, only started this evening.

Did co-op with random people mostly, have to say of the 4 games I played 3 of the guys I was matched with (xbox) were Irish, fair play to the last guy I was on with we raced through most of the levels we played without mics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Have you seen the list of amazing games coming out this year? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Elder ****ing scrolls baby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just a few levels past the light bridges now and I'm finding it far too easy. The level design so far pretty much gives you a road map of how to proceed by virtue of having so few wall panels that can actually hang portals. I'm enjoying it, but there's no challenge compared to the original.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You've barely even scratched the surface my friend, hang in there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Is Gamestop open tomorrow, Easter Sunday? I really want this.

Advertisement