Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just a few levels past the light bridges now and I'm finding it far too easy. The level design so far pretty much gives you a road map of how to proceed by virtue of having so few wall panels that can actually hang portals. I'm enjoying it, but there's no challenge compared to the original.

I was thinking the same. errr, yeahh, that changed pretty quick lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I saw this yesterday, and it's after getting a huge spike in views since then. Plus, it gets funnier every time I see it. Frankly, I had to resist creating a new thread, because I think it deserves one :p

Left 4 Portal 2

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Darn religious holiday keeping shops closed :P I want this todayyyyyyyyyy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Trying to find somewhere that has this in stock for Xbox 360 for the OH >_<

Coupled with the fact the PS3 network's down.... *sigh*

If anyone sees copies anywhere in Dublin lemme know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

jenga-jen wrote: »

Game in Dundrum has a ridiculous amount. It's closed today though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

jenga-jen wrote: »
    I think Tesco in Rathfarnham (among a few other stores) is open. Not too sure though. Ring and check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

xtra-vision is open today I think, as well as some of the tesco shops.

Not sure about the tesco in rahtfarnham but the one in nutgrove is closed i think, remember seeing a sign during the week , not the sign could have easily read open but I wasn't paying too close attention but there is an xtra vision right beside that one which will be open.

Does anyone know if Tesco sell PC games? :P

Colibri wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Tesco sell PC games? :P
    Nope. But they do sell the PS3 version which you get a copy for the PC inside the PS3 box.
    BUT you cant register the PC copy because the PSN is down. It's killing me. Want my first playthrough to be on PC. Resisting temptation to do it on the PS3 though.

Nope. But they do sell the PS3 version which you get a copy for the PC inside the PS3 box.
    BUT you cant register the PC copy because the PSN is down. It's killing me. Want my first playthrough to be on PC. Resisting temptation to do it on the PS3 though.

I was in the same dilemma. Ended up wanting the PC version - simply because I just find it more convenient to game on my laptop than on my ps3 (with an SD TV). Cross play too so it's no difference to me :)

edit: oh and the price :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished the SP and have not a bad thing to say about it. Ending was the best I've seen in a game for a long time - funny, exciting, funny, epic and funny. Wouldn't say it was too short at all - much longer than the first, doesn't outstay its welcome, plenty of variety & new tricks. All the new gimmicks work much better than I imagined they would, and the last couple of 'tests' where you have to put them all together are ingenious level design. A few head scratchers for a while (when you know what you have to utilise, but how being the question) but nothing beats that grin when you figure it out.

Honestly, this game is close to perfect, Valve again proving themselves masters. Would have liked more
    Half-Life links bar the token Borealis cameo and a brief mention of Black Mesa
    and
    the ending song isn't quite as hilarious as Still Alive (but still hilarious)
    but serious nitpicking. Portal 2 is the kind of imaginative, perfectly paced, gameplay driven and well-written game we don't get nearly enough of. It's more than a worthy sequel, and I have co-op left to go (thanks Sony for the involuntary delay).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just finished the SP and have not a bad thing to say about it. Ending was the best I've seen in a game for a long time - funny, exciting, funny, epic and funny. Wouldn't say it was too short at all - much longer than the first, doesn't outstay its welcome, plenty of variety & new tricks. All the new gimmicks work much better than I imagined they would, and the last couple of 'tests' where you have to put them all together are ingenious level design. A few head scratchers for a while (when you know what you have to utilise, but how being the question) but nothing beats that grin when you figure it out.

Honestly, this game is close to perfect, Valve again proving themselves masters. Would have liked more
    Half-Life links bar the token Borealis cameo and a brief mention of Black Mesa
    and
    the ending song isn't quite as hilarious as Still Alive (but still hilarious)
    but serious nitpicking. Portal 2 is the kind of imaginative, perfectly paced, gameplay driven and well-written game we don't get nearly enough of. It's more than a worthy sequel, and I have co-op left to go (thanks Sony for the involuntary delay).

Thanks for that. Pretty much summarises my opinion too.

Here's my problem now though; I decided to play something else once I'd done with portal and NOTHING compares. Everything else feels inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Did anyone else not get their cross game items such as TF2 hats in Portal 2 and Portal 2 badge in TF2?
    I can't seem to find them... :/

Just finished the co-op. Nearly put my controller through the TV with the last few levels. The very last level took us at least 20/30 minutes.

Raaaaaaaage.

Satisfaction of solving it, though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

quarryman wrote: »
    Here's my problem now though; I decided to play something else once I'd done with portal and NOTHING compares. Everything else feels inferior.

Here's my problem with games in general. I love investing hours and hours into RPGs as much as the next gamer. But there's another type of gaming, the one that doesn't have you doing repetitive tasks over and over. They are games that don't overstay their welcome, instead taking mechanics and stretching them to their maximum and refusing point blank to overstay their welcome. Braid's one example, Vanquish another. Money never comes to mind with these games for me: Portal 2 may only be ten or so hours long (twenty with co-op, and that's hardly bad value!) but minute for minute there's more joy than your typical scene in Portal 2 than, for example, Elder Scrolls. That's a great game too, but traversing the same basic dungeon fifteen times eventually makes some of those 120 hours a grind. Game developers that understand pacing are super rare, the whole 'value for money' issue a strange argument for me. I'd rather nine or - hell - even six perfectly paced hours than one hundred stretched ones. I got fed up of the likes of Dead Space 2 and Dragon Age before they were over, despite their strengths and extended running times. With Portal 2, I was never bored. No trial is the same. There's always a new twist on existing physics.

I assure anyone who may question spending fifty euro on what is perceived to be a short game that it truly is worth the investment (or indeed wait until the inevitable Steam sale!). Portal 2, without any hyperbole, is seriously a one in ten thousand game, the rare kind that does our hobby proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

Stephen Merchant voices Wheatley, the personality sphere
    knew i recognised wheatlys voice from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Here's my problem with games in general. I love investing hours and hours into RPGs as much as the next gamer. But there's another type of gaming, the one that doesn't have you doing repetitive tasks over and over. They are games that don't overstay their welcome, instead taking mechanics and stretching them to their maximum and refusing point blank to overstay their welcome. Braid's one example, Vanquish another. Money never comes to mind with these games for me: Portal 2 may only be ten or so hours long (twenty with co-op, and that's hardly bad value!) but minute for minute there's more joy than your typical scene in Portal 2 than, for example, Elder Scrolls. That's a great game too, but traversing the same basic dungeon fifteen times eventually makes some of those 120 hours a grind. Game developers that understand pacing are super rare, the whole 'value for money' issue a strange argument for me. I'd rather nine or - hell - even six perfectly paced hours than one hundred stretched ones. I got fed up of the likes of Dead Space 2 and Dragon Age before they were over, despite their strengths and extended running times. With Portal 2, I was never bored. No trial is the same. There's always a new twist on existing physics.

I assure anyone who may question spending fifty euro on what is perceived to be a short game that it truly is worth the investment (or indeed wait until the inevitable Steam sale!). Portal 2, without any hyperbole, is seriously a one in ten thousand game, the rare kind that does our hobby proud.

Spot on.

My preference is RPG (with Oblivion being my all time favourite) but I will always acknowledge quality in another genre - Portal 2 is an example of that.

"Orange, did you know that you're not Blue's first co-operative partner?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Loving it so far. The worst review I have seen, from GameSpot I believe, lists the loading times as a fault. Says something like they're not long but you notice them. Talk about scraping the barrell!

JK Simmons is very good. The voice acting is fantastic. Stephen Merchant is excellent and it's actually very, very funny. You actually stop playing the game to listen.

"Neurotoxins falling to non-lethal levels. Warning. Neurotoxins falling to non-lethal levels"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm avoiding spoilers, so I'm being very careful on this thread not to read anything that'll spoil it for me. I'm in what I assume is the 2nd half of the game (JK Simmons' part).

Absolutely loving it so far.

I'm hoping Valve releases DLC in a few months that unlocks challenge maps (or even a challenge map mode on the whole game that makes everything harder)

I can picture a lot of those early levels being really tough with the floor covered in water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 oneshotfinch

There's only around two or three test chambers for each idea (repulsion gel, light bridges etc) so I'd like to see challenge map DLC.

What I love the most about the game is the extra details. For example
    When you get to The Part Where He Kills You, Hilarious. When you teleport off of the platform he has you trapped on, and then start to run away, and he says "Where are you going!? Come back!" If you actually go back, it's hysterical. He says, "Oh, I didn't think you'd actually come back. i wasn't ready for this. . . so . .. uh. . " Anyway, if you have't heard it, get to that point, and Turn back. Also. . . Jump into the pit when he tells you to.. Even more hilarity.

Yeah challenge rooms would be a worthy addition. The advanced rooms in the first were more a combination of portal skills and twitchy trigger fingers. The SP in this is just portal skills. I certainly think that's a great design decision - none of the trials involve split-second timing - indeed, the one or two vertical portal challenges (i.e. the ones where you're in free-fall between two portals trying to blast an opening on one side) are the closest it comes to that, and even with them you can take your time and line up the shot. But yeah, having the seriously twitchy and hardcore advanced maps would be the most worthy DLC addition IMO - I'm extremely glad the SP sticks with a stable, accessible difficulty curve, but would be nice to have the super hard ones as an extra :)

And one more thing, and ending spoilers ahoy:
    They need to make Portal 3 where they get outside Aperture in the haste. They keep taunting us with glimpses of the outside world, but we've still been confined gameplay wise to the Aperture buildings. Bring on whatevers beyond that cornfield! Let's venture forth with companion cube in hand! I still think there's a slight possibility Half-Life 3 or whatever might run with that idea.
    Oh, and I still can't get over how awesome the moon portal was.

Some great humor and HL references so far. I'm at the part in chapter 6 where
    you find potato GLaDOS being pecked by a crow and attach her to your portal gun
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

liked the game up until chapter 4 or so and got tired fo going in to chamber after chamber, felt like the same thing over and over again.
    have exclusive gamestop skins for co-op bots if anybody wants them also.

liked the game up until chapter 4 or so and got tired fo going in to chamber after chamber, felt like the same thing over and over again.

\Oh Ill have them if they are xbox ?

I'll take me please, if they are for PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

will send pm kearney and its for ps3;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wow, spot on. The reason I havent finished Oblivion, barely scratched Fallout 3, got bored midway with Shadow of Chernobyl, etc.

When you put it that way who honestly needed another game to dump 20, 30, 40 hours into? Don't get me wrong I have 200 hours on Teamfortress 2 since Orange Box, but I can't imagine placing that much time (or even a quarter of it) in every title I played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if I remember your post correctly you got bored about 1/10th of the way through shadow of chernobyl..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Forgot to mention, they took out peek-a-portal-ing! That'll severely reduce speedrunners' times and the depth they can go to with glitching. I'm glad they removed it obviously, it was an abuse of portal 1's mechanic, but it was a lot of fun, helped me with some of the advanced chamber trials.

Advertisement