Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Got round to finishing this today, and as someone said above, it's the best 9 hours €50 will buy you (in gaming terms). Every minute of it was a joy to play, and what an ending, perfectly paired with an excellently aptly named achievement. And i haven't done the co-op.

Bring on Portal 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Overheal wrote: »
    wow, spot on. The reason I havent finished Oblivion, barely scratched Fallout 3, got bored midway with Shadow of Chernobyl, etc.

When you put it that way who honestly needed another game to dump 20, 30, 40 hours into? Don't get me wrong I have 200 hours on Teamfortress 2 since Orange Box, but I can't imagine placing that much time (or even a quarter of it) in every title I played.

Don't get me wrong, there are many games I've poured 100 or so hours into with few regrets. But not every game has to be that long, and when some games are simply using futile rewards as an incentive for silly levels of grinding - CoD? - that's not good game design. Doing the same thing over and over for hours an end can be appealing, but it's not necessarily the stuff of great games. It's the reasons why film, for example, have certain running times - some directors can achieve a lot with four hours, but others can do the same in 90 minutes. You never hear people complaining about that, and it's one of the gaming community's particular peculiarities: that bulk always equals better for some reason, which I'd strongly disagree with.

There'll always be games that reward effort and time commitment - fighting games, for example, or TF2 as you say. If you enjoy it, you should keep playing. But other games that have stories to tell, ideas to play around with, pacing to consider are much more appealing to me than a repetitive shooter with tacked on mulitplayer. Portal 2 is, like the first, a poster boy for considered design :)

It's the reasons why film, for example, have certain running times - some directors can achieve a lot with four hours, but others can do the same in 90 minutes. You never hear people complaining about that...

But the reverse is also true, like you can't imagine Inception being as good if it was only 90 minutes, or the same for the Deathly Hallows Part 1. That film is 2 1/2 hours long, but it needed every minute of that time to instill what was happening in the book.
    But other games that have stories to tell, ideas to play around with, pacing to consider are much more appealing to me than a repetitive shooter with tacked on mulitplayer. Portal 2 is, like the first, a poster boy for considered design :)

The best example i can give of this is the Legacy of Kain series. Sure, you can ply through it, but it has one of the longest stories to be told in every game, and it was the voice acting and hours of dialogue that made this game the special prize that it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But the reverse is also true, like you can't imagine Inception being as good if it was only 90 minutes, or the same for the Deathly Hallows Part 1. That film is 2 1/2 hours long, but it needed every minute of that time to instill what was happening in the book.

I totally agree. I've seen four hour films that needed that time, like I've read 1000 page books that needed that! All depends on the situation, but the reality remains that stretching games out to reach some perceived need for an extended running time can seriously damage the final product. And yet you can't blame developers when you see the backlash short games get :( But the best games, films, books are the ones that are as long as they need to be. I thought Persona 4 (despite lots of dungeon crawling) genuinely needed a 70 hour runtime to tell its story well. But not every game does, and therefore the increasingly vocal cries of those who will bemoan any game that doesn't reach the 20-30 hour mark in single player really seem to me like they're basically criticising a game for having the guts not to compromise the gameplay or story!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, they took out peek-a-portal-ing! That'll severely reduce speedrunners' times and the depth they can go to with glitching. I'm glad they removed it obviously, it was an abuse of portal 1's mechanic, but it was a lot of fun, helped me with some of the advanced chamber trials.
    I'm sure they'll manage ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Guys is there a level select when you finish story mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

calex71 wrote: »
    No :( You have to trawl through every chamber, if you're achievement hunting

Got my 1000G today. Suck it, Calex

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finished it.. absolutely loved it!

It's been a long long time since I got that immersed in a game.

Worth every penny of my €40... superb!

Mooaarrr please!
    Nope, doesn't look like it.

Healium wrote: »
    No :( You have to trawl through every chamber, if you're achievement hunting

Got my 1000G today. Suck it, Calex

Fortunately being the seasoned achievement veteran here I made a save at the start of every level :D

/ has 'nam flashback........ Charlie ????

Edit: You can make yourself useful and help with 'still alive'

• Advertisement

Fortunately being the seasoned achievement veteran here I made a save at the start of every level :D

/ has 'nam flashback........ Charlie ????

Edit: You can make yourself useful and help with 'still alive'
    Still Alive is to get through all of test 4 without dying, right? If you die, you have to start back at chamber 1. The 2nd last level caused us huge problems before, so we both were expecting to lose it there.

Got the achievement first time 'round. Cue robot dancing and hi-5's.

Healium wrote: »
    Still Alive is to get through all of test 4 without dying, right? If you die, you have to start back at chamber 1. The 2nd last level caused us huge problems before, so we both were expecting to lose it there.

Got the achievement first time 'round. Cue robot dancing and hi-5's.

Ah just had a look at the ones I had left, "Professor Portal"
    After completing co-op, complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before
    Is going to be a right pain at this stage, wondered why I was getting so many friend requests when I started :mad:

Ah just had a look at the ones I had left, "Professor Portal"
    After completing co-op, complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before
    Is going to be a right pain at this stage, wondered why I was getting so many friend requests when I started :mad:
    Sucks to be you.

It's right here in your file.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll manage ;)
    [YOUTUB]tLhcoPW5Puo[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUB]gHgdDROszt4[/YOUTUBE]

Oh transgenic, is there anything he can't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Finished there, loved every minute of it, it was the perfect lenght imo, much longer and it would have dragged they got it just right, long enough that you'd want to play it again over a weekend but not so long that you just want to get to the end, and its loud out loud hilarious for the majority of the game, Stephen Merchants lines are comedy gold the whole way through.

There's a level select on the PS3 version - you just press new game and you can choose your chapter. Coop I don't know because, ya know, PSN :(

There's a level select on the PS3 version - you just press new game and you can choose your chapter. Coop I don't know because, ya know, PSN :(
    You can pick a chapter, but you can't pick specific chambers, which is a bit tedious if you're an unlikeable, liked-by-nobody fat orphan who's backtracking achievements like Calex

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Will anyone be getting the app "The final hours of portal 2" for $1.99...sounds great..can't wait to get it when i get home :D
    The Final Hour of Portal 2 takes you deep within the top-secret office of Valve, creators of Half-Life, for an unvarnished, behind-the-scenes look at the making of its latest game Portal 2. Journalist Geoff Keighley was granted unprecedented “fly on the wall” access over the past three years to create this staggering 15,000 word multimedia experience. From the hush-hush Portal prequel that was shelved to the last minute scramble to complete the game’s story, readers will experience a gripping and dramatic tale brought to life with exclusive photos, videos, interviews, interactive experiences, and other surprises.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-final-hours-of-portal-2/id432031492?mt=8#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

I know its a rhetorical question but what shower of idiots are running PSN? Can't download P2 until the idiots sort out their funking network. Christ I hate the PS3

omerin wrote: »
    I know its a rhetorical question but what shower of idiots are running PSN? Can't download P2 until the idiots sort out their funking network. Christ I hate the PS3

So buy an Xbox... :rolleyes:

It was a security attack on PSN, so they took it down and are rebuilding it from scratch with better protection. Bigger companies have fallen to hackers, and i'm jsut glad that they are doing something about it rather than just putting it back online and hoping for the best.

Anyway, whats the rush? Everyone else has to wait too (on PSN) so you're not missing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

I wouldn't take a PS3 or Xbox if it was free, hate consoles. ;)

Its the free version of the PC version I need to tie in with Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

omerin wrote: »
    I wouldn't take a PS3 or Xbox if it was free, hate consoles. ;)

Its the free version of the PC version I need to tie in with Steam.

As a PC games, portal works really really well on the PS3, there was only one time I missed the keyboard & mouse, and that's because I was doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Sorry if its been asked already (im not looking through 44 pages). Just wondering if its worth a buy or would renting it for the week be enough?

iangobl wrote: »
    Sorry if its been asked already (im not looking through 44 pages). Just wondering if its worth a buy or would renting it for the week be enough?
    Renting for the week should be more than adequate time to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

if I remember your post correctly you got bored about 1/10th of the way through shadow of chernobyl..
    Couldn't really blame him for that. The first part of the game is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Just finished the SP and have not a bad thing to say about it. Ending was the best I've seen in a game for a long time - funny, exciting, funny, epic and funny. Wouldn't say it was too short at all - much longer than the first, doesn't outstay its welcome, plenty of variety & new tricks. All the new gimmicks work much better than I imagined they would, and the last couple of 'tests' where you have to put them all together are ingenious level design. A few head scratchers for a while (when you know what you have to utilise, but how being the question) but nothing beats that grin when you figure it out.

Honestly, this game is close to perfect, Valve again proving themselves masters. Would have liked more
    Half-Life links bar the token Borealis cameo and a brief mention of Black Mesa
    and
    the ending song isn't quite as hilarious as Still Alive (but still hilarious)
    but serious nitpicking. Portal 2 is the kind of imaginative, perfectly paced, gameplay driven and well-written game we don't get nearly enough of. It's more than a worthy sequel, and I have co-op left to go (thanks Sony for the involuntary delay).

It's been a long time since I had such a satisfying gaming experience.
    "Still Alive" is a classic moment but I think I enjoy "Want You Gone" more. Cave Johnson and the history of Aperture
    alone more than makes it worth the relatively short game length. They had me at
    Mantis Men

If there is a third installment, it'll have a lot to live up to without being a rehash.
    #That's what I'm counting on
    . Portal 2 could easilly have done that and been mostly well received but didn't. Valve can't go back to
    test chambers
    I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Portal 2 seems to be sold out everywhere. Doesn't happen very often these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Couldn't really blame him for that. The first part of the game is the worst.

yeah, a few of us tried to sing it's praises and explain how even though he'd played for six hours or so he wasn't even a quarter of the way through. I think he even promised to give it another run through in the future.

Advertisement