Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Man, this game goes waaaaaaaaaay beyond what i expected from a game. I thought it was just good story writing, and i thought the ending was a bit out there, but reading that it all makes sense... Serious planning gone into this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished it last night and absolutely love it can't wait for Sony to get the finger out and play coop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I thought it was just good story writing, and i thought the ending was a bit out there, but reading that it all makes sense... Serious planning gone into this game!

Maybe that's why they seem to have given up on half life 2. The plot is not salvageable, it could never make sense of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

tuxy wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they seem to have given up on half life 2. The plot is not salvageable, it could never make sense of it.
    What's wrong with Half-Life 2's plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ríomhaire wrote: »
    What's wrong with Half-Life 2's plot?
    There wasn't one? You just go from point a to b to c and occaasionally someone will talk at you as if you already know what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote: »
    There wasn't one? You just go from point a to b to c and occaasionally someone will talk at you as if you already know what's going on.

I actually thought Half Life did a great job with it's story. There's no cinematics, and it's all from a first person perspective, so it's not as easy to tell a story at times. But i found that i actually cared about the character more then in any other first person shooter i've played in a long time. And it actually has a pretty in depth backstory.

Kiith wrote: »
    I actually thought Half Life did a great job with it's story. There's no cinematics, and it's all from a first person perspective, so it's not as easy to tell a story at times. But i found that i actually cared about the character more then in any other first person shooter i've played in a long time. And it actually has a pretty in depth backstory.
    But you don't learn anything about the characters until the next couple of episodes. In HL2, you're just sent to various places, sometimes not even knowing why.

I could explain the plot to you if you like. It's in the background so that players who care can investigate it and players who just want to run and shoot things can do that without having it shoved in their face.

Thanks for being condescending. Considering the plot of HL1, Episode 1 and Episode 2 and Portal 1 + 2, the plot of HL2 is fairly lacking. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for being condescending.
    You're welcome. Half-Life 2 also had much more of a plot than Half-Life 1 did. They usually didn't even come up with an excuse for funnelling you into the linear corridors in Half-Life 1 other than the occasional "Go to the satellite facility Gordon", "Go to the Lambda Complex Gordon".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I thoroughly enjoyed Portal 2, more than the first one. Played the single player campaign in turns with a mate. The writing is superb, as is the delivery, as is the 'eureka' moment when you realise what you have to do to progress.

The ending part with
    the moon
    made me mark out so hard, when you see what you're supposed to do. Thoroughly satisfying. Another home run. Can't wait to do the multiplayer.

This game shows everything positive about video games today. All the ignorant nay-sayers/media moguls have obviously never seen/played or even heard of this work of art.

I wish somehow this could be shown to kids at school. It's unfeasible, but teaching logic puzzles like this would be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Up to Chapter 9 now, easily the most enjoyable game I've played in quite a while, I've got my thesis to finish for college next week yet I spend over 3 hours playing it earlier instead of going to college, its got a real 'just one more puzzle' feel to it.

I love the puzzles towards the end where you have to combine all the different gels & beams, a lot of time spent thinking but theres a real satisfactory feeling when you figure them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just finished it - brilliant sequel to the original, definately lives up to expectations...

One thing I'm disappointed about though...
    The ending song! nowhere near as good as "Still alive"

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Just finished it - brilliant sequel to the original, definately lives up to expectations...

I just finished it as well and though the EXACT same thing, then again how were they going to top it :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Thought the same as well... It didn't have that
    reload the last checkpoint as soon as it finishes so you can experience it all over again
    appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Have to say though the
    shooting the portal into the moon part
    was a fantastic ending touch.

It's certainly not as funny, but I think it's a better song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They should have made it harder, don't think it took longer than 3 mins to figure out any of the rooms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They should have made it harder, don't think it took longer than 3 mins to figure out any of the rooms :(

Agreed, Portal 1 was way harder with puzzles that had me stumped for days. Still some very clever ones in this! Anyone get the hidden transmission and convert it to a picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Only 2-3 ones had me stop for a while and left me stumped for about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cube in glass box?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

I thought it was better.
    Much more catchy rhythm to it.
    And the computery sounds were just under annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

I vote this least intelligible thread for those who haven't cleared the game

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tman wrote: »
    Thought the same as well... It didn't have that
    reload the last checkpoint as soon as it finishes so you can experience it all over again
    appeal
    thats only because the ending had far more closure than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I like the co-op ending tune better myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just finished it, great game, thoroughly enjoyable and I loved the ending. Glad I only rented it though as it only took me three days to finish.

Anyone find the missing experiment? Took my time to explore every area I was in but never came across it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone find the missing experiment? Took my time to explore every area I was in but never came across it
    You can find it in the old Aperture area just after the third pumping station iirc. There is a waiting room and control room stacked on top of each other, it's where you find Glados in the bird's nest. In the control room there is a door half boxed up that you can squeeze into...

Just finished this a little earlier. It's brilliant. But nowhere near as good as the original, though I guess that's mainly because nobody really knew what to expect when they played the original.

One thing I didn't like was that the ending was pre-rendered. It's a silly thing to pick at, but I'd have preferred if it was still in-game play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Just finished this one last night. Possibly the best game I've ever played. I thought it was soooo much better than the first one in terms of overall story, atmosphere, settings and (most impotantly) the puzzles.

For me it just about beats the likes of Oblivion and Valkyria Chronicles to "Game of this Generation". Excellent stuff.

Advertisement