Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

We should take a case to the EU, pretty sure Steam's pricing strategy violates every single competition directive they've put in place. Publisher's might be able to come up with some bull**** excuse for the retail prices based on rents etc. but there's no way they should be let away with it on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

We should take a case to the EU, pretty sure Steam's pricing strategy violates every single competition directive they've put in place. Publisher's might be able to come up with some bull**** excuse for the retail prices based on rents etc. but there's no way they should be let away with it on Steam.

A concerted boards.ie effort?

I wonder what's the worst that could happen, they stop selling Steam games in the EU?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fortunately I live in the UK now. :)

Did anyone see that case over here where a pub landlady challenged Sky's on rights to Premiership games when she was taken to court over using a cheaper Greek provider? The initial opinion of the European Court is in her favour and could have interesting consequences.

So you could argue on a similar note that price fixing across the EU is also against EU law. Of course there's nothing stopping the likes of Gamestop/Tesco/HMV charging different prices in different countries and Steam could argue that if they were to charge the same in every country that would be seen as anti competitive to other retailers.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Convenience.

Stupidly low prices.

Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Playstation Move support confirmed. So with the PS3 version you now get a free PC version, cloud storage so you can play the game on both platforms and Move support...

I think i'd be mad not to buy it...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Playstation Move support confirmed. So with the PS3 version you now get a free PC version, cloud storage so you can play the game on both platforms and Move support...

I think i'd be mad not to buy it...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422007
    Came here to post this. I'm really happy about this news, I think I'd prefer to play it on PC (I guess as that's what I'm used to) but I think that Portal would work really well with the Move controller, especially compared to the Dualshock controller when the puzzles get more complex. I haven't played Portal with a controller so I wouldn't know for sure. I wonder if the glowy ball will change from orange to blue depending on which type of portal you're about to fire out? :pac:

Strange to see a developer go from 0 to full support for a platform, but I guess it is Valve, they don't do things by halves. Sony must be loving Valve right now too. I guess stuff like this is the reward for having a more open platform.

GothPunk wrote: »
    I wonder if the glowy ball will change from orange to blue depending on which type of portal you're about to fire out? :pac:

Twould be awesome! It would be such a simple thing to add in, I can't see them not doing it! :D
    GothPunk wrote: »
    Strange to see a developer go from 0 to full support for a platform, but I guess it is Valve, they don't do things by halves. Sony must be loving Valve right now too. I guess stuff like this is the reward for having a more open platform.

Well they did state that the PS3 version would be the best version at E3, so i suppose they're living up to it!

I just want them to port the Left for Dead series to PS3, the PS3 really needs a wacky FPS zombie survival game :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Well they did state that the PS3 version would be the best version at E3, so i suppose they're living up to it!
    Best version on consoles I think is what they said. ;)
    I just want them to port the Left for Dead series to PS3, the PS3 really needs a wacky FPS zombie survival game :p
    It is a really fun series, and I'd much rather the high quality Valve FPS zombie survival game than some shjtty Gameloft version. (If a gap in a library exists on a platform you know GameLoft will exploit it!) Lord knows there are enough zombie survival twin stick shooters, zombie survival garden defense and zombie survival management sims on the PSN already, but no FPS one?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

People got a bit excited about the move support. Oh well :(

There’s a story making the rounds regarding Portal 2 support for PS3 Move.

Unfortunately this quote was “lost in translation” — Portal 2 does not include support for Sony’s motion controller.

Heh, that's weird, the translation of the article was spot on, it was a fluff up on valves part, not the translators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think i'll be buying this on ps3 but playing it on pc. if they are giving the pc/mac version away with the ps3 version there's no reason not too go for the ps3 version considering the steam EU prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No way i'm watching that...

Why would anyone even want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

5uspect wrote: »
    Why would anyone even want to?

Yep... I'm commencing a total media blackout for all things Portal related starting now

I'd rather enjoy the experience myself instead of spoiling it months before the game is due out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seriousbuns

:( when it finaly gets released im not gonna move until i have it finished

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

got a UK friend to buy and send it to me on Steam, saved myself €13!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now ask yourselves: How cryptically will this tie into Half Life (2:Episode) 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Overheal wrote: »
    Now ask yourselves: How cryptically will this tie into Half Life (2:Episode) 3

we going to the ship, thats just going to happen. whether we ahve the portal gun is the question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe youre on the ship and you run into the freeman

• Advertisement

But doesn't Portal 2 take place
    nearly a century after Portal 1
    ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

5uspect wrote: »
    But doesn't Portal 2 take place
    nearly a century after Portal 1
    ?

Indeed it does. There was originally speculation as to how it would tie in, but they decided that it wouldn't directly link to the Half Life series this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Things like time lags are of no major significance when you throw in aliens, Gordon Freeman being in stasis, portals to other dimensions, the vortigaunts, time dilation and G-man. They can work anyhting they want to into the story if they wanted. Plus there isn't much indication when the original portal is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I have portal 1 to gift, First come first served.
    You need a steam account.
    You will also have to bear the shame of admitting to this forum that you have not gotten this game yet, which will lead to speculation about your sexuality and mental capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Krieg wrote: »
    I have portal 1 to gift, First come first served.
    You need a steam account.
    You will also have to bear the shame of admitting to this forum that you have not gotten this game yet, which will lead to speculation about your sexuality and mental capacity.

I tried a couple of pages back and everybody seemed too ashamed to admit to not owning a copy:p

I've also still got a copy of Portal 1 to gift if anybody is interested... (I promise I won't giggle at your puny E-Penis!)

Not only is Portal a game that any self respecting person should have played; Valve gave it away free at one stage. You should dangle your free copy in front of anyone looking for it for our amusement. It's the only thing for it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Even though Valve gave it away for free, it still made $20 million in revenue last year, so apparently a lot of people didn't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭JCW

I dont have it and I only played Half Life 2 for the first time yesterday!Hides head in shame.....

So you're the last one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

JCW wrote: »
    I dont have it and I only played Half Life 2 for the first time yesterday!Hides head in shame.....

GET HIM!

Advertisement