Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I can see some retailers refusing to buy back the PS3 version.

It's not really any different that the current schemes run by companies such as EA. For example, the initial purchaser of Dragon Age gets some DLC free but the second hand buyer has to pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

It's not really any different that the current schemes run by companies such as EA. For example, the initial purchaser of Dragon Age gets some DLC free but the second hand buyer has to pay extra for it.
    I disagree, it is kinda different in this instance.

You are buying one copy of a game that you can play on multiple platforms non-simultaneously. You own your content in more ways than is usually granted. This is something Valve is doing to go above and beyond in favor of the consumer.

By putting used copies out there you are enabling others to play Portal 2 without giving Valve a cent, so there's that. There's also the fact that you still have the ability to play the game even after selling it. You're taking Valve's innovative approach to content ownership and ****ting on it. And it will have consequences for their future actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

By putting used copies out there you are enabling others to play Portal 2 without giving Valve a cent, so there's that. There's also the fact that you still have the ability to play the game even after selling it. You're taking Valve's innovative approach to content ownership and ****ting on it. And it will have consequences for their future actions.
    Yeah, welcome to the used games market. This really isn't anything new.

Healium wrote: »
    Agreed, I think people should be able to resell things. The difference here is that you're reselling the item and keeping it too. You can still play the game after receiving money for it. That's sufficiently different from reselling other things, isn't it? You are specifically betraying a generous offer from Valve. That's what bothers me about this. I'm less up-in-arms about used games in general, though I'm no fan of Gamestop.

Edit: Excellent Steamworks FAQ on how Portal 2/Steam will work on the PS3 - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388

• Advertisement

The trade in price will be far lower and from the sound of this you won't get any steamworks from any pass or extra code you can buy.

Agreed, I think people should be able to resell things. The difference here is that you're reselling the item and keeping it too. You can still play the game after receiving money for it. That's sufficiently different from reselling other things, isn't it? You are specifically betraying a generous offer from Valve. That's what bothers me about this. I'm less up-in-arms about used games in general, though I'm no fan of Gamestop.

Edit: Excellent Steamworks FAQ on how Portal 2/Steam will work on the PS3 - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388
    Thanks for the link.

Nope, I still disagree. It's no different from reselling a copy of Oblivion or Fallout 3 Game Of The Year editions, after you've already installed the DLC to your hard-drive.

The Steam part is an extra, much like EA's online pass system. It's an incentive to buy the game new, so that you can access this for free (will you even be able to purchase Steam from PSN, if you have a used copy?)

It's just an incentive. If people decide to abuse it... well, people will abuse it :o

I'm really turning against the used games market, but your first post was very OTT :p . This really is nothing new, it's just a bigger prize for the person who buys the game new.

It's the same principle
    Varik wrote: »
    The trade in price will be far lower and from the sound of this you won't get any steamworks from any pass or extra code you can buy.

Unlikely. Gamestop will just offer you a standard price. They're not going to check your code to see if it's valid.

Nope, I still disagree. It's no different from reselling a copy of Oblivion or Fallout 3 Game Of The Year editions, after you've already installed the DLC to your hard-drive. It's the same principle
    Got to disagree, you can't play that dlc without the disk you trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay. We know all this bitching about second hand games. Morale and ****, but everyone forget one major thing portal 2 is bringing: steam platform on ps3!!!!!! This is just epic, it's a beggining of better future.

Unlikely. Gamestop will just offer you a standard price. They're not going to check your code to see if it's valid.

I never said that they would check, and as with PSN i don't think there's a method to check other than using the code and they don't check with EA passes or any other included DLC. Gamestop will just give a price that far lower than normal as they need to sell the used game at a lower price point afterwards to make it compare favourably to the new copy with the steam version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

This is just epic, it's a beggining of better future.

Unless you happen to be one of the poor saps who buys a preowned copy!:p

Got to disagree, you can't play that dlc without the disk you trade in.
    Sure, but it's still the same principle. Obviously they're not exactly the same situations. Frankly, I'd love to see Valve remove Portal 2 from accounts of those who buy the PS3 version and immediately trade it in, but they won't. There's a ton of PC players who are planning to buy the PS3 version, get the free PC copy, and trade in the PS3 version.

It's not as if Valve couldn't punish those who trade it in, they just won't. It's good business. Valve and the PS3 don't have a good history. Apparently the Orange Box PS3 port was dreadful, I think EA ported it. They also didn't get Left 4 Dead. Valve were also very vocal in the past about how little they thought of the PS3. PS3 players don't know Valve like we do, and they haven't experienced their recent games. Portal 2 could have bombed on PS3, because their only experience with the developer is a bad one.

Now, Valve have realized that Microsoft have a really bad certification system, which really stunts creativity. While they may not like the PS3, it's the lesser of 2 evils, and will allow them to integrate Steam into a console game. Valve actually want PS3 players to appreciate their games. That's the whole point behind the Steam integration, the co-op play between PS3 and PC, the free PC copy... They want to entice PS3 players to buy the game new, and reward them for sticking with Valve.

It's simply a gift to PS3 players, after screwing them over in the past. Don't expect copies of Half-Life (episode) 3 to come with a free copy, it's just a once-off gift to the PS3 community.

portal 2 is bringing: steam platform on ps3!!!!!!
    YEAH! And I'm probably not going to see user-created content (or it'll at least be heavily-delayed, or cost money) on Xbox! WOOOOO! :p
    Varik wrote: »
    Gamestop will just give a price that far lower than normal as they need to sell the used game at a lower price point afterwards to make it compare favourably to the new copy with the steam version.

Disagree. Gamestop haven't done this with any game that has an online pass/DLC. It's cheaper to buy Mass Effect 2 new (with a code for Cerberus network) than used.

They'll just charge €5/€10 less than a new copy. They'll also still offer you about 10c trade in for a used copy.

Lots of good stuffQUOTE]
    Oh I agree, I can see why Valve are doing it.
    I'm merely arguing the extra un-ethical nature of abusing the PS3/PC deal.

Lots of good stuffQUOTE]
    Oh I agree, I can see why Valve are doing it.
    I'm merely arguing the extra un-ethical nature of abusing the PS3/PC deal.
    Sure, but many people are un-ethical. The two of us might not be, but there are a hell of a lot of people out there that won't bat an eyelid. As I said, Valve aren't clueless. If they wanted to put a system in place where you lose your PC copy or something, they could do it. They own Steam, and could easily implement something there.

If Valve don't care, why should we? Valve are giving PS3 players a gift, and... PS3 + PC players are... giving other PS3 players a gift.... with no Steam :pac: EVERYONE WINS! (Except Xbox players :rolleyes: )

Actually, will used copies not have access to the user-created levels, then?

Anyway, I'm going to stop arguing about used copies of games, before I go and burn down a Gamestop or something...

LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT PORTAL 2

I have my Xbox copy pre-ordered, ironically, through Gamestop.ie, with Express Post. I got my copy of Bulletstorm a day before release with standard post, so hopefully I get my Portal 2 at the same time as the Americans :D

I also hope that the Borealis makes an appearance.

I also hope that Valve weren't lying when they said that PC, PS3 and Xbox will all get user-created content at the same time. Frankly, I don't believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Healium, I know. I do my gaming on xbox too. Steam will newer ever cOme over to xbox :( . Microsoft will better let it rot them do that...

I wount be buying portal 2 now, but news about steam are savage! Got way too many games to finish and got brink la noire and duke preordered too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Release date cannot come soon enough.

I am already preparing to have my sense of perspective royally ****ed with again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ.. I've been anticipating this game so much that I really hope I'm not disappointed!

Basq wrote: »
    Christ.. I've been anticipating this game so much that I really hope I'm not disappointed!
    GO BUY A USED COPY, BARGAIN HUNTER

FLAME FLAME FLAME

/thread

LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT PORTAL 2

I have my Xbox copy pre-ordered, ironically, through Gamestop.ie, with Express Post. I got my copy of Bulletstorm a day before release with standard post, so hopefully I get my Portal 2 at the same time as the Americans :D

I also hope that the Borealis makes an appearance.

I also hope that Valve weren't lying when they said that PC, PS3 and Xbox will all get user-created content at the same time. Frankly, I don't believe them.
    Apologies for my earlier rants, didn't meant to be too off-topic.

I'd prefer to get it for my Xbox for control & general system preference but the PS3/PC deal is too big of one for me to pass-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

... it's just a once-off gift to the PS3 community.

I definitely agree with you that Valve are trying to make the PS3 crowd believe in them but I disagree that this is a one off. Part of the Steam experience is that your games are available on all the platforms you have and that they support. I believe Valve see this as no different that buying a copy for the mac then getting it free for the PC. I do think that perhaps down the line we may see a reversal in that the PS3 version may also be made available to the PC crowd, maybe even within the year.
    Release date cannot come soon enough.

I am already preparing to have my sense of perspective royally ****ed with again.

I've taken the day off work :o

Steam had better not collolapse like it normally does for a big release.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I've arranged with my GF to go to an internet café (getting a new PC, won't have it when the game launches, not sure how well it will run it, it meets the min specs but it's a netbook) the evening the game launches and play co-op (said café allows you to log in with your own accounts).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I've arranged with my GF to go to an internet café (getting a new PC, won't have it when the game launches, not sure how well it will run it, it meets the min specs but it's a netbook) the evening the game launches and play co-op (said café allows you to log in with your own accounts).

thats kinda sad tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

dreamers75 wrote: »
    thats kinda sad tbh

It's sad having a girlfriend that wants to play games with you?

I wish i was sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hey guys, details about the PS3 version and the free copy for the PC version if you buy it on PS3 has been announced.

They simply are giving the game away to anyone who literally links their PSN account with their Steam account from within the game.

It even allows you to create a Steam account from within the game to get your free copy for the PC.

This is incredible stuff in all honesty. I never thought they would be giving it away like that.
    Thought there would have been a code involved while linking your accounts at the same time to reduce trade-ins and people taking advantage of this offer. It appears that they just dont care too much about that. All they seem to care about it getting you a free ticket to getting onto Steam.

This was unexpected really. Games are gonna be passed around by friends I'd imagine.

Hmmm. Maybe this is too good to be true.

As tempting as it is to trade the game in once you get the PC version up and running I don't think I could let myself do that. Love Portal, and looking forward to playing it on both platforms.

http://uk.kotaku.com/5791822/portal-2s-steam-connection-to-the-ps3-explained

EDIT: Ah crap. I knew it was too good to be true. Turns out there is a one time use code in the PS3 version. Stupid Kotaku forgetting to mention the vital detail.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388#ps3codeforpc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya saw that, really class move by Steam! I still don't know whether to get it on PC or PS3. I would prefer PS3 but using a mouse would be way easier for the tougher levels where precise aiming would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow looks like im getting the ps3 version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Ummm. Might wanna take another look at my above post. :o:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

back to the pc version I go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ummm. Might wanna take another look at my above post. :o:o:o:o:o:o

Sorry, I must be missing something, even though it's a one time code, it still sounds like you can play the game on your PC from your games list? You hardly only get to play it once on your PC :confused:

Advertisement