Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Dont really see the issue. Original release date was the 19th, and there is a chance we will get it before that now. So they might be doing the exact opposite of dragging the release date out tbh.

Well there's two things I don't like about how they are doing this release. In the first, I just mean the more artificial hype Valve try to create around a release, the more I lose interest. I just wish they spent more time making the actual games than putting in place all these teasers and marketing gimmicks. That's more a general grievance with the industry, I just find the gameplay is not matching up to the over-elaborate image the publishers try create.

And the second, and more grating imo, is Valve trying to flog other 3rd party products on the back of their own. I just don't like that, to me they are compromising their brand and creating artificial associations that don't make sense imo.

I'm just wary about the whole direction Valve are taking. We've seen it plenty of times in the past, the more the company try capitalize on the product, the more they compromise the product. Guess I'm just trying to pre-empt the inevitable let-down I suspect will come before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the more the company try capitalize on the product, the more they compromise the product

i can tell you that this product has not been comprimised in any way shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's just cheaper advertising using the internet to hype things up rather than the $150 million spent on plastering modern warfare 2 on billboards, tv and print.
    The indie developers are probably very cooperative with the extra sales and their own advertising.

aaaaaaand now the potato thing makes sense

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Helix wrote: »
    aaaaaaand now the potato thing makes sense

You're very annoying.

• Advertisement

You're very annoying.

i know, imagine... posting about portal 2 in the portal 2 thread:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't understand what everyone is crying about.

Regardless of whether you paid for the bundle or not...you may get the game a few days earlier, or a few days later.....who cares....as long as the end product (i.e. Portal 2) is what we all hope it will be.

I'm sure it will be a great game, and I've no problem waiting an extra few days or even weeks to see it released as a product without the need of patches.

I have no intention of playing these "potato" games to have it potentially released a day or 2 earlier. I've already pre-ordered the game, it will be here when it's here.

I've pre-ordered the game on the merit of the first Portal, and don't need or buy into any of this advertising or hype. I'm sure a lot of people are the same. I really don't see why some are getting hung up on a side-note to the game itself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Still waiting for GLaDOS to implement a Valve-Time distortion...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we could easilly have a whole new thread to talk about how ****ing awesome the early-launch promotion for Portal 2 is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Anyone know where I can get the real bonus level 6 files from for Toki Tori? Apprently there's some sort of zip but since the arg wiki crashed no-one has it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I can understand peoples frustration. As they see it Portal 2 is already late and releasing it in time for the weekend would have been rather nice. Instead we'll probably get it Monday evening sometime. Valve have always followed a "when it's done" release pattern. Portal 2 seems to be done and being teased out much to the annoyance of many gamers.

While I don't have the time to participate in the ARG I've tried to followed and enjoyed it. It's a great way to promote the game with out spoiling the actual game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i just watched the gamestop ad last night for portal 2 and it showed the 3 versions of the game and listed it as 34.99 , anyone can clarify this for me. also does anyone know if the pc modding levels if they are any would also work on the ps3 versions cause of steamworks cheers . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

i just watched the gamestop ad last night for portal 2 and it showed the 3 versions of the game and listed it as 34.99 , anyone can clarify this for me. also does anyone know if the pc modding levels if they are any would also work on the ps3 versions cause of steamworks cheers . ;)

Was that ad on tv recently because people on another thread are reporting that gamestop have upped the price of portal 2 to €50 on the consoles. This could be some leverage to get it at the cheaper price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

kendragon wrote: »
    Was that ad on tv recently because people on another thread are reporting that gamestop have upped the price of portal 2 to €50 on the consoles. This could be some leverage to get it at the cheaper price

the very same ad, i dunno if it was just the pc version but they done it in a way that was confusing , i can see myself going down to the gamestop on thursday looking at the ps3 cover and it be 49.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I saw the same ad.. and am 90% sure they state "from €34.99". It's probably that for PC version.

They had the Xbox 360 and PS3 version for €38.97 (€40.97 delivered) on Gamestop.ie for a while on Thursday but back up to €49.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

the very same ad, i dunno if it was just the pc version but they done it in a way that was confusing , i can see myself going down to the gamestop on thursday looking at the ps3 cover and it be 49.99.
    It will be. The €38.97 offer is online-only, and valid until the 21st. Just email them.

Healium wrote: »
    It will be. The €38.97 offer is online-only, and valid until the 21st. Just email them.
    I got it while it was €38.97, but it's €49.99 on the website now though - and has been since Thursday evening.

Basq wrote: »
    I got it while it was €38.97, but it's €49.99 on the website now though - and has been since Thursday evening.
    Yeah, but wasn't it €49.99 a few hours before you got it for €38.97?

They're being sneaky and messing around with the price, hoping nobody will notice.

Anyone interested, email hello@gamestop.ie and ask them what the story is. It's advertised as €38.97 for Xbox and PS3 until April 21st, while stocks last (online-only)

They fixed the price when I emailed them a few weeks ago

Twas indeed.
    They're being sneaky and messing around with the price, hoping nobody will notice.
    I just presumed it was price fluctuation depending on stock levels - most other online sites do it.

You find something at a bargain price, it stays like that for a certain time period or til stocks last.. and then goes back up.

Basq wrote: »
    Twas indeed.

I just presumed it was price fluctuation depending on stock levels - most other online sites do it.

You find something at a bargain price, it stays like that for a certain time period or til stocks last.. and then goes back up.
    Shurrup. I'm going to out-bargain you :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Just in case anyone isn't clear on this.
    • You do not need to buy the entire Potato Sack to contribute. If you already have one of the games in it, eg, Super Meet Boy, just play that one and you will be helping.
    • You need to be playing the game and interacting. Steam will detect if you just leave it running in the background and you will not be contributing.
    • Earning Potatos acts as a multiplier for how fast the bars filll up. Earning a single Potato will make a huge difference.
    • Instructions for getting Potatos here.
    • Also get one by joining this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Anyone interested, email hello@gamestop.ie and ask them what the story is. It's advertised as €38.97 for Xbox and PS3 until April 21st, while stocks last (online-only)

They fixed the price when I emailed them a few weeks ago

I assume it was a limited time offer. Amazon do it the whole time. It's not like they're now charging the people who ordered it for 38 euro, 50 euro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

PCGamer have given it a 94/100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Magill wrote: »
    PCGamer have given it a 94/100.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Loving the game so far, its just more of the same as the first, havent tried Coop yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

iMuse wrote: »
    Loving the game so far, its just more of the same as the first, havent tried Coop yet though

Leak or early off steam?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

iMuse wrote: »

Sorry, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

There is a leaked copy, but no crack for it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

The xbox and ps3 versions have been leaked for a few days now. I've been tempted but it just wouldn't feel right playing a steam game on a console! Plus theres the co-op to think about! Pre-ordered it through steam earlier :)

• Advertisement

this game has brought more lols than any ive ever played before
    glados is on fire in the first half

Advertisement