Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openstreet maps to Garmin?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 4:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I downloaded a map of Ireland as a .osm file from openstreetmap and I want to convert it to a .img file for use on my garmin, they have the biggest heap of crap known as mkgmap which unless you have a phd in programming and hacking then you won't be able to work it as its dos based.

Any ideas on how to easily convert .osm to .img files?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stinicker wrote: »
    I downloaded a map of Ireland as a .osm file from openstreetmap and I want to convert it to a .img file for use on my garmin, they have the biggest heap of crap known as mkgmap which unless you have a phd in programming and hacking then you won't be able to work it as its dos based.

Any ideas on how to easily convert .osm to .img files?
    Why bother doing it yourself? There are ready-made versions of the UK and Ireland OSM maps available for download as .img files here ...

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi Guys,

Whats the benefit of these maps??

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi Guys,

Whats the benefit of these maps??

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    For a start off they're free :D They tend to be much more up to date for newly opened road schemes, esp. the new motorways, or changes to existing layouts, especially in the larger towns and cities, but the downside is that coverage in many rural areas can be pretty patchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Alun wrote: »
    For a start off they're free :D They tend to be much more up to date for newly opened road schemes, esp. the new motorways, or changes to existing layouts, especially in the larger towns and cities, but the downside is that coverage in many rural areas can be pretty patchy.

Hi Alun,

Thanks for that. So in essence really the patchy rural coverage hurts the benefits of the motorways a little.

Very good to know this is hear though so thanks a million for clearing this up!

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Hi Alun,

Thanks for that. So in essence really the patchy rural coverage hurts the benefits of the motorways a little.

Paul

You can examine the maps coverage in your area by just looking at the openstreetmap site.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.1&lon=-6.7&zoom=8&layers=M

Where there are active mappers you will find the coverage very good and much more correct and comprehensive than other map data. But yes, there are areas of Ireland that haven't been fully mapped yet. We will get there eventually though - it only takes 2-3 people per county to get most of boreens and local roads done.

The other advantage is that if you find something wrong or missing you can fix it yourself and the map will be updated within a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

There are also worldwide routable Garmin OSM maps from here:

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Advertisement