Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Play the o2 Thurs 12th May!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Some of my pictures from last night

p1030137s.jpg

p1030168h.jpg

p1030182n.jpg

p1030404f.jpg

p1030525o.jpg

p1040026wk.jpg

p1040128jo.jpg

p1040188y.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Incoming

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    We were beside a group who spent most of the night getting up to go to the bar and then left 10 minutes early declaring it was over. Tools.

See? This mega cool 'genuine fan only' device I have in mind would've weeded them out before they ever got in the door!

I know a few Dubliners who are on the boat to Scotland as I type to catch Glasgow and afterwards motoring down to Shefield.

But we're not jealous. Right?! :(

Great photos Minstrel27. Looks like you were practically ON the stage!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChairmanWow

Had an absolute blast, very good crowd, for the most part, in front of the stage. The band were on fire. Only my second time seeing them, the last being S&A in Manchester which I thought was great but this really blew that away. Red Barchetta was the highlight for me but the whole set really worked even the few I wouldn't have been too keen on. Real grounds for believing they'll be back with Clockwork Angels. Well done to everyone for the pics, some really beautiful shots. Particular thanks to Minstrel for confirming that I really did see Chicken Boy and the gorilla on stage - when I woke up this morning I wasn't too sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KupoX666

Was at the gig last night, also my first gig ever and what a first gig it was.:) Blew me away.

Rush RUUUUUUULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Here's the full set of decent pics from the night, will add the videos when i et home tonight, got some killer video from the barrier of working man

Was my first rush gig and seeing Neil, Geddy and Alex come out on stage made me smile like i never did before, can't describe the feeling. Was even better because i was down near the barrier

5714210803_8fbfc13d9e.jpg

5716594674_5c920dfb60.jpg

5714774486_ec58895ff6.jpg

5714776372_f1e7c190f2.jpg

5716599384_bac3fd4fee.jpg

5716041167_92538d6bc9.jpg

5716046119_a1d4fe89c6.jpg

just in what a show !!! What a brilliant night .I was in the seats, and i was a bit surprised how subdued some of the audience was, strange. In hindsight, i reckon i should have gone

My theory on the audience seeming a bit subdued is either:

a) Most of them were in such awe they temporarily lost control of their faculties and were rendered speechless (the jaw dropping effect) and some of them might have stayed that way all night!

or more likely

b) I reckon a LOT of fans were taking video footage or photos and you can't shout the house down/applause at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

just back, two words, speechlees & awsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was up in the seats, and while it was fairly quiet there, I took it to mean that people were paying attention. Memories were being made, and a chance to study at the School of Rock doesn't come along every day. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

KupoX666 wrote: »
    Was at the gig last night, also my first gig ever and what a first gig it was.:) Blew me away.

Rush RUUUUUUULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is brilliant but f**ks you up too ........ cos nothing will ever be better than that. All gigs are downhill from here man .... but what a way to start your concert going life. Congrats:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

bnt wrote: »
    I was up in the seats, and while it was fairly quiet there, I took it to mean that people were paying attention. Memories were being made, and a chance to study at the School of Rock doesn't come along every day. :cool:

Same here but that people felt it was appropriate to leave their seats during songs was beyond me :confused:

OK, just want to say Thank You to all the Rush fans for this thread. I'm new to it and have been reading over it whilst in bed with flu, and it's really cheered me up!

Some hilarious posts here but you can really feel the luv for the band and the build up of excitement leading up to the gig and then the countdown in the last few days.

From what to wear on the day (most women would NOT spend that much time wondering which T-shirt to wear :) ) to the advice on how to expertly stretch an old Rush T-shirt which was now (shock horror) too small with presumably not enough time pre-gig to start a diet (ok, let's be kind and just say the T-shirt had shrunk :D ). And all the various itineraries gig day, what time to get up, what to have for 'Rush Day' breakfast, what Rush songs to listen to at home, in the car, on the bus etc, where to get something to eat on the day and where and very importantly how much to drink pre-gig so as not to need jax gig-time.

And it was very quiet in here last night when you were all at the o2 with Rush. YES, you WERE there and it WAS Awesome but it will take a few days to sink in. Saw them before at Wembley Arena. Brilliant.

Thanks for the video's and photo's. They really captured the atmosphere.

Rock on Rush....Fans! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Very surreal to see Geddy Lee in full flow and sausages being made in the background, had to laugh at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Anybody catch a shirt they threw in at the end ? What was on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

First review I've seen so far - it's very short but there are some decent pictures with it.

http://www.state.ie/27814-live-reviews/rush-o2-dublin

Couldn't get this to open with Firefox for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Damn I'm so eager to see 2112 and working man again. Can't wait until someone gets some good quality versions up!

I was stunned at the intro to Working Man. I was so confused my brain couldn't comprihend it. My friend said it was a look on my face that was like "this sounds like working man but it's not working man". It was a whole new sound to it I never heard and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Just found a great quality Working Man here from Lancecon63 on Youtube.

Phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

That's a refreshingly kind review. I didn't know that they are "Behind only The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for most consecutive gold or platinum albums sold by a rock band."

!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dayglo

My own two cents..

For me - RUSH peaked with Hold your Fire.
    At the risk of being tarred and feathered, the last few albums-(post ROLL THE BONES) sound very 'samey' and I find the new material just doesnt cut it for me. Moving Pictures is a classic Rush album. That album made me want to hit drums and Neil Peart is one of my all time drum inspirations and teacher. (Mind you, he should leave the jazz thing well alone- he does not have it in his drum gene codec for jazz.)

As to the gig- yes it was fantastic for the most part - and ticked most of the boxes. The backdrops and videos were very clever, if a little bit overdone. Lighting rig was abs. super. I felt the performance was a bit loose and lazy at times-(was quite surprised at Geddy loosing himself in a bass run at one stage- so much that he was totally out of sync with his two band mates-if it wasnt for Alex kicking him into touch it could've gotten messy for Geddy) My fave track of the 'Moving Pictures' album- 'Thro the Camera Eye'- was bloody abridged:mad:!! It was not note for note - which really really annoyed the **** out of me- 'cause they did every other track off the album flawlessly.

The bands shining glory is in its back catalogue- not what they are doing now- IMHO. That for me is the Rush I will always love. That was the crowning glory of this gig for me and the fact that they finally came to Dublin to see the RUSH faithful of Ireland.

One more thing- Neil DID pull alot of funny faces when he was playing- if you were watching him closely enough! Neil is not a robot all the time:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

I was at the gig last night, and as above, at the risk of being tarred and feathered, I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. I seen Rush twice before, both times at Wembley Arena, for the Roll The Bones tour, and Snakes and Arrows, and thought they were amazing both times, but last night didn't really do it for me.

The production was great, but the playing was definitely sloppy in places, and I think they played within themselves, going through the motions a bit. Even the drum solo failed to impress, and as a drummer myself, it was what totally blew me away at the previous gigs.

Now I dunno if maybe the subdued crowd affected their performance, or vice versa, but the previous gigs had the crowd going insane...or maybe the band, the crowd, and me are all just getting older :)

I'm still glad I went though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Already want to see these again,great night all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I was at this and it was f***ing great - they would put bands half their age to shame. Thought the crowd were great and not subdued at all, and the new material sounded great.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Heres a view of working man from the barrier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Video of Peart's drum solo

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

When i said the crowd were a bit subdued, i think perhaps it was just me. I was soo excited before this show , it was unreal. For a guy in his mid forties, i was worse than a teenager, i think i was more excited than before i first saw Rush live in Wembley in 1983 . It is hard to explain, i have been a fan since 1979. There music does something for me, that no other band's music can do . I wish i could explain it, but i can't, there is just something about them. I think it was the fact that they were finally in Dublin after all these years . This is what i cant get my head around, i have seen them 12 times already, so why was this gig so special ?
    After the show began, when they went into Presto after SotR and TSS i thought the atmosphere dropped a little. Now this afternoon i played the S & A dvd and when you look at the first half of that show, i think it was a better set list . But the strange thing is, the more time passes since the gig, it doesnt seem to matter, it was just a great night.
    Anyway, roll on this time next weekend when i'll be in Newcastle . There really is just something about Rush .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Saw them in Newcastle on the S&A tour and they were brilliant. Dublin was way better, fantastic gig. Really good pics and footage up on the site, keep it coming, unfortunetly my stuff is cr"p. Have to say myself and the young fella loved the night.
    BTW why do some as"hol%s go to a gig and talk all the way through it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

Dayglo wrote: »
    ... One more thing- Neil DID pull alot of funny faces when he was playing- if you were watching him closely enough! Neil is not a robot all the time:)

Amazing thing about Neil is that, although he looks as serious as Buster Keaton onstage, and even offstage in preparation for the gig he's like this huge brooding prince of Darkness - all concentration...

When you see him interviewed - he's this goofy, laughing, smiling almost dorky sort of fellow. Really really animated and kind of hyperactive actually. It's really funny the change in him.

Incidentally, my wife is wondering if he might be slightly autistic! Because of his talents, concentration and attention to minute detail. I believe in the 80s at any rate he used to have the most precise measurements of his drum set-up for the roadies. Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

After the show began, when they went into Presto after SotR and TSS i thought the atmosphere dropped a little. Now this afternoon i played the S & A dvd and when you look at the first half of that show, i think it was a better set list . But the strange thing is, the more time passes since the gig, it doesnt seem to matter, it was just a great night

Funnily enough, if I could change anything about the set I'd swap Presto & Stick It Out around. That said, I thought Presto sounded great but it did seem as if a lot of people didn't know it...

I loved the setlist though, Moving Pictures was amazing live, and they played Marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭torby

no By-Tor and the Snow Dog....one of my fondest memories....lol...:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Fantastic gig!!!! Loved every minute of it!! Definitely in my top 5 of gigs and the only drum solo I haven't yawned through!:D What I want to know is.......
    ......where did all those sausages go???????? Had me salivating the whole time!!!!:pac:

Advertisement