Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminal 2 - Budget €200MIL , Cost €600MIL

• 19-11-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Want to know what people think of the news report this morning of the official opening of Terminal 2 and it's final cost of €600M, €400M over budget!!!

How can such a project run so far over budget?

I would like to hear from ye why and how this happened.

EDIT: Jaysus u r right I would do the same, LOL!! Whoops forgot a few million there!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Want to know what people think of the news report this morning of the official opening of Terminal 2 and it's final cost of €600, €400 over budget!!!

Jaysus, ill gladly build a terminal in my garden for €600. Bought a shed recently, and was nearly €800!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

From this Google cached content a couple of years ago they budgeted €600m.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CtPVkkhL56UJ:www.dublinairport.com/about-us/airport-development/Terminal_2.html+daa+terminal+2&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Which news report did you get the €200m from? Even O'Leary was saying they spent twice as much at €1.2b to get more airtime for Ryanair. If it was originally budgeted at €200m and it cost €600m I'd imagine he'd be all over it to help him advertise his company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

From this Google cached content a couple of years ago they budgeted €600m.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CtPVkkhL56UJ:www.dublinairport.com/about-us/airport-development/Terminal_2.html+daa+terminal+2&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Which news report did you get the €200m from? Even O'Leary was saying they spent twice as much at €1.2b to get more airtime for Ryanair. If it was originally budgeted at €200m and it cost €600m I'd imagine he'd be all over it to help him advertise Ryanair.

RTE Morning Ireland stated the original budget at €200M+

Even this web site, in 2007, states the how over budget it was running...

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10007100.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

TO cut a long story short: initial budgets are based on what you know at the time. A team of quantity surveyors plans out every job, every piece of gear, and what they cost. A hole costs €x to dig, a wall costs €y to put up, a crane costs €z per day, and so on. Then the building starts: there are unforeseen problems, things take longer than expected, they find weird ground conditions, and pretty soon the original schedule is a faint memory. If a team of builders can't get to the place where they're supposed to be building something, just because another job is running late, they still have to get paid.

It's all about the planning: the better the planning, and the more you know going in, the fewer problems you'll have. So, if the original plans had a budget of €200 million ... the original plans were inadequate. :rolleyes:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

There was no way it was ever going to cost 200M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

bnt wrote: »
    TO cut a long story short: initial budgets are based on what you know at the time. A team of quantity surveyors plans out every job, every piece of gear, and what they cost. A hole costs €x to dig, a wall costs €y to put up, a crane costs €z per day, and so on. Then the building starts: there are unforeseen problems, things take longer than expected, they find weird ground conditions, and pretty soon the original schedule is a faint memory. If a team of builders can't get to the place where they're supposed to be building something, just because another job is running late, they still have to get paid.

It's all about the planning: the better the planning, and the more you know going in, the fewer problems you'll have. So, if the original plans had a budget of €200 million ... the original plans were inadequate. :rolleyes:

Actual reason; because they could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

and to think O Leary was going to build it at no cost to the state but no fianna fail had to please DAA so they cold look after all their buddies with contracts and backhanders from the €600,000,000+!!

the very sight of the new terminal nearly ruined my holiday last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Elevator wrote: »
    and to think O Leary was going to build it at no cost to the state but no fianna fail had to please DAA so they cold look after all their buddies with contracts and backhanders from the €600,000,000+!!

the very sight of the new terminal nearly ruined my holiday last week

Fly from Belfast like I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

squod wrote: »

no

squod wrote: »

Galway to dublin is too handy tho!

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »

Appreciate what you are saying but when you tender for a contract that figure should be realistic and have only a small amount of leeway for the unforseen issues as you mention

This looks like a blank cheque was handed out.

So who is at fault for the planning - DAA, Government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Terminal 2: Built just on time to impress the IMF. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Has anyone actually been inside the new terminal? I have and it is incredible. It certainly looks like it cost 600m!

Check out the bar for fecks sake. The couches cost €15,000 alone.

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00742/Aoife-09_I_742431s.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2010/1119/1224283711308_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Has anyone actually been inside the new terminal? I have and it is incredible. It certainly looks like it cost 600m!

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00742/Aoife-09_I_742431s.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2010/1119/1224283711308_1.jpg

Phwoar!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

When did a construction project in this country ever come in on tender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bonerm wrote: »
    Most of the interconnectors in the country have come on time and within budget.

bonerm wrote: »

Luas Cherrywood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

That is one pretty interior...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Money well spent in my opinion. I mean the scene with Arnie standing in the window of the office blasting all the cop cars to bits alone would have made it worth it. Plus the CGI was as good as anything put out today and it was made way back in '91. I dunno, some people will complain about anything.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There is your answer right there op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/oleary-disputes-cost-of-new-airport-terminal-482399.html

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary is still disputing the DAA's figures for the overall cost of Terminal 2.

The Dublin Airport Authority said the project cost €600m but Michael O' Leary has said that is not the case and the overall cost is €1.2bn.

The new terminal will be officially opened by the Taoiseach Brian Cowen later this morning with the first flight arriving in later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

just be glad they weren't building a bank....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Millions. lol. Let's not worry about the small stuff at the moment eh?

couches at 15,000 a pop!!!

first thing I'm doing when I set foot in the terminal 2 building is slashing holes in their seating in silent protest and I'd urge everyone else that sets foot in the place to do the same!!

they might think it's cool to refuse O' Learys offer of a free terminal 2 and blatently throw away tax payers money wrecklessly and that the public won't care

how in...

what the...

who the...

no, I am fcukin speechless here

who signed off on this!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

couches at 15,000 a pop!!!

first thing I'm doing when I set foot in the terminal 2 building is slashing holes in their seating in silent protest and I'd urge everyone else that sets foot in the place to do the same!!

they might think it's cool to refuse O' Learys offer of a free terminal 2 and blatently throw away tax payers money wrecklessly and that the public won't care

how in...

what the...

who the...

no, I am fcukin speechless here

who signed off on this!?!
    So that they have to spend extra money buying new couches.

It is idiocy like this that has put us in the trouble we are in. How is petty vandalism going to solve anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

OisinT wrote: »
    It is idiocy like this that has put us in the trouble we are in.

No. Its not.

Its idiocy like this:
    refuse O' Learys offer of a free terminal 2 and blatently throw away tax payers money wrecklessly

You think this is pathetic? Eyre Square in Galway was a much larger fiasco - took years to complete and ran way over budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The couches cost €15,000 alone.

have you got a link for that?

(not disputing it btw, just curious...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

€600m and it looks like a crotch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

T2 wasn't paid out of our (tax payers) money. I've heard it again and again on the radio, the DAA doesn't take money out of the exchequer but does put millions in. It's their own money (loans, whatever) that paid for the terminal, and those fierce swanky looking couches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tom Hanks don't come cheap.

mikom wrote: »
    Tom Hanks don't come cheap.

Is he stuck in Terminal 2!!! :pac:

KazDub wrote: »
    T2 wasn't paid out of our (tax payers) money. I've heard it again and again on the radio, the DAA doesn't take money out of the exchequer but does put millions in. It's their own money (loans, whatever) that paid for the terminal, and those fierce swanky looking couches!

hey you, stop posting sensible facts, k thx bai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OisinT wrote: »
    So that they have to spend extra money buying new couches.

It is idiocy like this that has put us in the trouble we are in. How is petty vandalism going to solve anything?

They'll learn the lesson for Terminal 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I thought it was costing 1billion? There were signs all over the airport 2 years ago saying it was going to cost 1billion. Maybe thats including the new runway, Pier D and other improvements.

It was built too late but hindsight it a great thing. I've been in it and its quite nice inside.

Apparently a hearse with the Irish flag on it attempted to drive up up to the new place today but was stopped. Its now parked down by the ryanair offices. So I've been told anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Michael O'Leary at the opening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Sc@recrow wrote: »

Yep so it was true, another publicity stunt.

the coffin looks more comfortable than a Ryanair flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Fart wrote: »
    Phwoar!!!

What recession.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Knowing plenty of people working for sub-contractors on the project, I am surprised they were able to do it for €600m. The whole planning of it seems to have been a joke. Fault to be found on all sides... tender, contractors, sub-contractors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its a huge waste of money. add in the 300million waste that is Luas Cherrywood, the voting machines, the 600million it cost to "buy back" the M50, the overrunnings of countless motorways and public projects, the port tunnel, the health system payroll fiasco and its easy to see its not only the banks that the government f*cked up with.

how ironic it is, the day the IMF come to town is the day we open a project approaching a Billion quid, that wasnt needed. i go to dublin airport about 120 times a year and bar sat mornings and christmas, the airport is operating well below capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its all about the type of contract used with the contractors. Most contracts used nowadays are design and build with any cost overrun costing the contractors, hence why things are build better and on schedule.

In the older contracts, the contractor could go back to the client with any little problem during construction. It ultimately led to budget and time over runs e.g. the Glen of the downs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sc@recrow wrote: »

oh his antics never get trite. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

i go to dublin airport about 120 times a year and bar sat mornings and christmas, the airport is operating well below capacity.

That's what I don't get. I use the airport maybe 40 times a year and am almost always amazed at how quiet and quick it all is. Don't really see what this new terminal was built for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Absurdum wrote: »
    the coffin looks more comfortable than a Ryanair flight

more legroom anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its well below capacity NOW, but wasnt it seriously overcrowded a few years back when they first decided to build it.

Looking forward to going through it to be honest.A good first impression for tourists too. Ive landed in glorified warehouses that ryanair use and i immediately think ****hole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Terminal 2 for the operational trials back in September. I was well impressed.

Cost overrun? Everything in this blighted, deeply corrupt little country has cost overruns.

At least at lot of us will get a look at T2 when we're emigrating off this rock for good.:(

T2 will look mouldy in a few years.

Those couches will be fart/poo stained in no time.

The beautiful interior finishings will go brown and sag like Cowen's fat-filled tits and arse crack.

The marbled floors will be caked with chewing gum, child dribble and sneeze snot. Our very own virtual O'Connell Street

The commisioned artworks will become dated and cheap, and will be removed as fire hazards.

Here's my idea of a commissioned art piece for T2.

All in favour, say "Tá"

http://imgur.com/3xbA6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

BS, in my humble opinion. Anyone who believes that Micheal O' Leary was going to build us a nice shiny new terminal and hand it over with no strings attaches is pretty damn naive. Michael O' Leary cares only about what's good for him, and what's good for Ryanair. To take his pronouncements on the matter as some form of unbiased truth is silly in the extreme.

T2 will look mouldy in a few years.

Those couches will be fart/poo stained in no time.

The beautiful interior finishings will go brown and sag like Cowen's fat-filled tits and arse crack.

The marbled floors will be caked with chewing gum, child dribble and sneeze snot. Our very own virtual O'Connell Street

The commisioned artworks will become dated and cheap, and will be removed as fire hazards.

Here's my idea of a commissioned art piece for T2.

All in favour, say "Tá"

http://imgur.com/3xbA6

cheer up bro

• Advertisement
Advertisement