Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State Pathologist - S Class Mercedes

• 19-11-2010 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Arsne

Whats the story with this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

The State Pathologist is a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

are they not allowed buy what they want with their salary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Arsne wrote: »

They use the car to drive from place to place afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

She didn't want a Humvee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

They use their own cars I presume. They used to have the services of a garda driver at some stage if I remember correctly but that service was removed a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I wouldn't begrudge her anything! She does one tough job and is a total professional, imagine the week she has just worked! She's the one that should have a state car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tantalum

The boot capacity is 560l so they can squeeze in more bodies + lash a couple of more (up to 100kg max) on the roof if needed.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge her anything! She does one tough job and is a total professional, imagine the week she has just worked! She's the one that should have a state car!

There are more than one though. Yes, she's the main figure as she heads the State Pathologist's office but there are two Deputy State Pathologists and two Assistant State Pathologists as well (these last two are based in two hospitals whilst the others are based in the State Pathologist Office in Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Arsne

Appears that the car and driver is now supplied by a chauffeur company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Don't even bother OP. I started a thread on this & all I got was people saying how hard her job was, how much she deserved an S-Class etc.

People don't tend to read thread titles here - they started debating whether she should have a driver, who owned the car etc, when my only issue was why it was an S-Class.

• Advertisement

Maybe they (State Pathologists Office) are paying for a driver and car to be available for their employees. Or maybe it was a driver and car from one of the undertakers? Who knows?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

spyderski wrote: »
    People don't tend to read thread titles here

You really think that is the source of the confusion in this thread?

You really think that is the source of the confusion in this thread?

Nope, but it did seem to be on mine - despite clearly outlining my issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Appears that the car and driver is now supplied by a chauffeur company

So then why are you asking what's the story if you already knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Who really cares what the Angel of Death rides in; that's the least of our worries.
    If things get as bad as they could, we'll have her walk from case to case.
    We'll be able to while away the hours, listening to her progress on Radio Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE

She can have it, the thought of looking at dead and mutilated bodies week in week out seals it for her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Don't even bother OP. I started a thread on this & all I got was people saying how hard her job was, how much she deserved an S-Class etc.

People don't tend to read thread titles here - they started debating whether she should have a driver, who owned the car etc, when my only issue was why it was an S-Class.

Because she likes it's driveability?

She doesn't drive it, she has a driver.

And "liking its driveability" is not an excuse for any state employee, however difficult and traumatising their job may be, to have a €120,000 S-Class Mercedes at their disposal.

We should get her a Hermes bag & Prada shoes too, according to some posters on here,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

She doesn't drive it, she has a driver.

And "liking its driveability" is not an excuse for any state employee, however difficult and traumatising their job may be, to have a €120,000 S-Class Mercedes at their disposal.

We should get her a Hermes bag & Prada shoes too, according to some posters on here,

Are you saying she has a state car? If so, can you provide a link? If it's her personal car, well that's her own business.

• Advertisement

They see me Rollin', They Hatin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

We should get her a Hermes bag & Prada shoes too,

Well said. A woman should look her best when meeting corpses for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

who says crime doesnt pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

anybody confirm whether this is a state car or not?

personally, if it is, i couldn't give a flying f'uck. you cant pay the state pathologist enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Pffft!! Anyone can do her job:

Investigator: "So, what do you think?"
    Me: ....................

Me: "Yep..........he's dead!"
    Investigator: "You sure?"
    Me: "Dammit, man, I'm the State Pathologist!! I know what I'm doing!!"
    Investigator: "Ok, ok!"

Me: "Anyways, he's decapitated................*puts on sunglasses*...............sure is no way to get a-head in life!!"

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Tears off in Mercedes S-Class*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Afaik its her own car. She gets mileage (does a hell of a lot of it) so got a big diesel that will go on and on.
    I reckon she hires a driver when the distance is over a certain measurement so she arrives fresh (as it were) for the gruesome job ahead.

I think the previous guy (Harbison?) got 200k in mileage one year.

Don't see any problem with the setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd rather see the likes of doctors get the best benefits for their jobs than most of the politicians.

cisk wrote: »
    They see me Rollin', They Hatin'

True dat- She should get some 24" Chrome spinners & Lambo doors on that Mo'Fo.

Deffo Ridin' Dirty.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

She deserves any car she wants. Seriously, with the amount of shít wrong with the country this is the best you can come up with? The fact it is an S-class and not an E-class or something?

Sometimes she has to drive the length of the country and back in a couple of days. She has a very technically demanding job. She should travel in as much comfort as humanly possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

(1) Was she forced into her current employment? Enough with the oh but the poor dear has to work with terribly traumatic scenes. It is in the job title and I am aware there are hundreds of very qualified people in Ireland trying to get into the forensic pathology department...........
    But guess what people, the one place in Europe that with the exception of a couple of the higher people in the department, you have to be a member of the Gardai to apply??? I can only imagine the class of highly qualified person applying.

ONLY in Ireland
    would you see such blatant obtuseness and cronyism

(2) What do her international peers earn. Enough with this "there is no one else as qualified" malarkey. Reduce her wage to the average international/european standard. If she decides to leave, so be it. Offer the position up to an international audience, watch and see it be gobbled up. Then repeat it for all the state bodies. Trust me, you may not want to believe it but there are some more intelligent people in the world than Ireland....

Did she not have a helicopter at one stage as well....... Surely a state chopper would make more sense than an s class. There are loads of choppers laying idle at the moment, buy one for a knock off price and TAADAA..... end of silly threads that make me question my country again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have no reservations about this woman having some comfort in her career, she has whats probably the most unpleasant and demanding position of any civil servant, she travels the length and breath of the country looking at cut up decaying dead bodies.

She deserves it unlike others in this government that are driving similar cars that have sent this country down the toilet

ClutchIt wrote: »
    She deserves any car she wants. Seriously, with the amount of shít wrong with the country this is the best you can come up with? The fact it is an S-class and not an E-class or something?

Sometimes she has to drive the length of the country and back in a couple of days. She has a very technically demanding job. She should travel in as much comfort as humanly possible.

Sometimes I have to drive the length of the country and back in the SAME day - ain't nobody buying me a S-Class though. Anyhoo fair play to her - wonder if she has a 2011 model on order yet....

I have no reservations about this woman having some comfort in her career.

Agreed
    she has whats probably the most unpleasant and demanding position of any civil servant

Read the job title there for me again please
    she travels the length and breath of the country looking at cut up dead bodies

Read the job title there for me again please

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

this is the ultimate rabble thread.

the plebians just love a good dig at the aristocracy eh?

she's entitled to drive whatever the f'uck she wants and she's entitled to mileage - it's not her fault she does alot of mileage to deal with the level of scum populating the country.

jesus h christ, this is a new low even for AH. slagging the f'uckin state pathologist now? get a life...

she's entitled to drive whatever the f'uck she wants and she's entitled to mileage - it's not her fault she does alot of mileage to deal with the level of scum populating the country.

jesus h christ, this is a new low even for AH. slagging the f'uckin state pathologist now? get a life...

Who's slagging the State Pathologist exactly? I think the more enlightened among us can see problem with ANY state employee parading around in ostentatious displays of wealth when the country is broke.

If someone wants to buy themselves a gold car with a jet engine using their own money, fair play to them - not if I'm paying though.

• Advertisement

... I am aware there are hundreds of very qualified people in Ireland trying to get into the forensic pathology department...........
    But guess what people, the one place in Europe that with the exception of a couple of the higher people in the department, you have to be a member of the Gardai to apply??? I can only imagine the class of highly qualified person applying

I'd like to see a link to a regulation or document where it says that you have to be a member of AGS to apply for a post at the State Pathologists Office. I am not aware of "hundreds" of qualified forensic pathologists in this country. There are many clinical (histo)pathologists but you need special expertise and training to become a qualified forensic pathologist (after your histopath training and experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

says the FF devotee

:rolleyes:

but what yer man said above was right about salary, all our public service salaries are on epic LOL proportions.

I saw a role there with the fisheries board a year or so ago for some technician post or the such.

salary? a cool 80k or so.. at the upper end of the scale...(maybe more..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Preusse wrote: »
    I'd like to see a link to a regulation or document where it says that you have to be a member of AGS to apply for a post at the State Pathologists Office. I am not aware of "hundreds" of qualified forensic pathologists in this country. There are many clinical (histo)pathologists but you need special expertise and training to become a qualified forensic pathologist (after your histopath training and experience).

yes, but across the EU, I am sure there would be suitably qualified candidades who would take the role sans the S Class and probably for half the salary

that, is the bottom line, and one of the several reasons Ireland, as a country is screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 this is one person i would not begrudge anything to.
    . Anyhoo fair play to her
    ;)

yeah, coming out of places where angels fear to thread, murder scenes involving young children, maybe she ought to get the bus....:rolleyes:

Good on her having the Merc. Her and her fellow pathologists, I have no problem with getting some comfort. They actually do some good for the community in the course of their workday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Who's slagging the State Pathologist exactly? I think the more enlightened among us can see problem with ANY state employee parading around in ostentatious displays of wealth when the country is broke.

If someone wants to buy themselves a gold car with a jet engine using their own money, fair play to them - not if I'm paying though.

This is laughable; where travelling is a large part of your job, you should be entitled to travel in comfort, whether you are privately or publically employed. Whether the appropriate level of comfort is a BMW, a Lexus, an S class, or an E class, is splitting hairs. And no better place for it than right here amongst the ignoranti of AH.

The reasoniong that she has a horrible job and therefore deserves a few perks is nonsense though. One mans horrible job is another man's dream. Im pretty sure if you asked the State Path whether she would prefer to be cutting open dead bodies or sitting at a desk all day, she would choose the former every time. Once you have cut open a few dead bodies and come across a few harrowing crime scenes, that part of the job loses its ability to shock.

I am not in the slightest insulting the honour of the pathologist. But I always find it always better to question authority than to blindly follow like so zombie lemming, for example such as yourself.

Do you know what her wage is?
    Do you know if it is in line with the rest of the developed world?
    Do you know that there was a fare and unbiased interview for all the best international persons for this position?
    Arethe murders and scum as you say any worse/better anywhere else in world?

Now like a good chap, piss off middling quick back to trollville.

yes, but across the EU, I am sure there would be suitably qualified candidades who would take the role sans the S Cclass and probably for half the salary

that, is the bottom line, and one of the several reasons Ireland, as a country is screwed.

So? The OP was not about changing personnel in the State Path's office. It was about the car and still nobody has linked to anything that shows where the car came from (private or hired) etc. Actually, it doesn't really matter to me. The State Pathologists have to travel tho whole of Ireland (excl. NI) to get to these scenes and also carry out the post-mortems.

In other countries each larger city would have their own Forensic Medicine/Pathology centre so that doesn't happen. But as it stands they have to travel. Have a centre in Cork, Galway and Dublin each and you have pretty much covered the regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

But guess what people, the one place in Europe that with the exception of a couple of the higher people in the department, you have to be a member of the Gardai to apply??? I can only imagine the class of highly qualified person applying.

I too would love to see a breakdown of the staff at the S.P.'s.O., there's not that many of them so it should be an easy enough task. Me thinks the poster is mixing up the SPO with the Garda Technical Bureau tbh.

prinz wrote: »
    I too would love to see a breakdown of the staff at the S.P.'s.O., there's not that many of them so it should be an easy enough task. Me thinks the poster is mixing up the SPO with the Garda Technical Bureau tbh.

There should be some admins as well as one or two anatomical pathology technicians (including the State Path's).

As for the last sentence, yes, or maybe mixing it up with the Forensic Science Laboratory in Phoenix Park. This has nothing to do with forensic pathology though apart from sample analysis possibly.

I saw a merc convertible for sale for 5k a while ago
    Think it was one of those s-class things too

:(

There should be some admins as well as one or two anatomical pathology technicians..

Yep, they have a few clerical staff, these are supplied by the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform. Never seen a need for these to be members of AGS too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As far as I can see the question of whether the car is state-supplied or bought with her own money still hasn't been answered with any documented proof to support either position. In addition, someone suggested that doing a tough job doesn't entitle you to more benefits or salary because you know in advance what you'll be facing and I've also seen a suggestion that she receive the average industrial wage. Who on earth is going to do the job for that? Others complaining that possible salaries in a technical job could potentially reach 80k at the high end of the payscale? Frankly I'd like the potential to earn that at least after however long in a position. Nothing is free. Some jobs command more money than others, some are less pleasant than others and therefore command more money and benefits. Were this not so, you might find nobody wanting to do the job for the average industrial wage. Certainly, nobody ambitious enough to be remotely useful.

prinz wrote: »
    Yep, they have a few clerical staff, these are supplied by the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform. Never seen a need for these to be members of AGS too though.

Same for the Forensic Science Lab. Have not seen anywhere that you have to be a member of AGS:

For the post of Analyst, the minimum academic qualification is a level 7 qualification in an appropriate Science subject.

For the post of Scientist, the minimum academic qualification is an honours degree (level 8), normally in chemistry, analytical science or an appropriate biological subject such as biochemistry, biology or molecular biology, or an equivalent qualification.

Link: http://www.forensicscience.ie/index.asp?locID=21&docID=-1

As far as I can see the question of whether the car is state-supplied or bought with her own money still hasn't been answered with any documented proof to support either position.

AFAIK it's a mixture. Sometimes they use their own transport, sometimes a State car will be used.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement