Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Simmer plate in Galway?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have been hunting high and low for one of these for my Gas hob as the mess the gas flame makes on pots is terrible and there is no control of the heating (heat up and boil but no simmering) but can not find anyway in Galway.

Basically its called either a Simmer plate or a heat deffuser and sits on top of your hop between your flame and pot.

If anyone has seen or knows where to get one in Galway city / county, then please post here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Have you checked amazon or e-bay?

Or maybe Anthony Ryans in the city, I'd say they'd have that kind of stuff, too! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

In the same boat, spent the last fortnight looking for one. Anthony Ryan's surprisingly enough DON'T sell them.

Found one on http://www.kitchencookware.ie/

search for simmer ring.

Haven't ordered yet, might go to Dublin soon and hope that the shops there are better stocked - planning to call into Kitchen Compliments (dangerous shop ;) )

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

You could always invest in quality pans as these solve your problem and more.

I have gas and have never had any issues with making a mess of pans or keeping things on a quiet simmer with the Analon pans we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 skdb

galah wrote: »
    Have you checked amazon or e-bay?

Or maybe Anthony Ryans in the city, I'd say they'd have that kind of stuff, too! ;-)

Was hoping I could get locally instead of online :(
    In the same boat, spent the last fortnight looking for one. Anthony Ryan's surprisingly enough DON'T sell them.

Found one on http://www.kitchencookware.ie/

search for simmer ring.

Haven't ordered yet, might go to Dublin soon and hope that the shops there are better stocked - planning to call into Kitchen Compliments (dangerous shop ;) )

CC

Oh crap...that was my last hope for Anthony Ryans...I may have to order online now if there is no local shop to do this...
    Webbs wrote: »
    You could always invest in quality pans as these solve your problem and more.

I have gas and have never had any issues with making a mess of pans or keeping things on a quiet simmer with the Analon pans we have.

I don't see buying more expensive pots is going to help as the flame will also mark these pots...only difference is that the pots are already black...and is there a pot that you can use to just simmer milk or sources or casaroles with?

This is driving me nuts...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Have you tried Peter Murphy in Westside? Or the likes of B&Q/Woodies/Higgins'?

I'm amazed that Ryans don't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 skdb

Fey! wrote: »
    Have you tried Peter Murphy in Westside? Or the likes of B&Q/Woodies/Higgins'?

I'm amazed that Ryans don't have them.

Confirmed, went today to Ryans and yep, they dont do them...they could not even suggest anyone else :confused:

Tried B&Q/Woodies and no joy, where is Higgins and Peter Murphy in Westside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Higgins is on Shantalla Road.

Surely the likes of Ryans could order one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

saw those in debenhams recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

skdb wrote: »

I don't see buying more expensive pots is going to help as the flame will also mark these pots...only difference is that the pots are already black...and is there a pot that you can use to just simmer milk or sources or casaroles with?

This is driving me nuts...:pac:

The flame doesn't mark the Analon pots that we have at all, we also have cheap pots we got from IKEA ages ago, and apart from some minor marks (from when i left the pot on too long and it dries out) on the very bottom of the pot then there is no problem.

I assume you want to have your pots on display, but have not come across this problem before and have cooked with gas for years in different places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

There is a way of turning the gas very low, basically just before you turn the gas to the off position stop, there should be a very small flame which is perfect for a low simmer. It may take a few attempts before you know where the exact stopping point is but it may be cheaper than buying a specific piece of equipment. Before I discovered this, I was driven mental by not being able to turn it down low enough....never noticed the flames ruining my pots though.

Advertisement