Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website caching

Options
  • 19-11-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I KNOW this doesn't belong here, but this forum looks to have a few knowledgeable bods, so I'll give it a go.

When I go to visit a certain site (it's not adult oriented, but nor is it microsoft.com), the version I'm getting of the entire site is dated sometime in October, ie, the archives only show October, any recent links to that site from external sites only bring me to the homepage (which I assume happens if the link "doesn't exist"), the homepage shows nothing past October, etc etc.

If I try it in work, it works fine, I can see everything up to yesterday. Is there any good reason for this? I've tried clearing my cache and cookies to no avail. I have 2 PCs connected to a router, and both show the same thing. I would never go to this site on one of those PCs, so it can't even be something local to the PC, afaik, but I'm absolutely stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Are you going through a proxy or anonymizer? What browser and what ISP are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Nope, no proxy, no anonymiser. ISP is a Limerick based crowd called Ripple. and my browser is FF 3.6ish. It's just this one site that does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

corblimey wrote: »
    Nope, no proxy, no anonymiser. ISP is a Limerick based crowd called Ripple. and my browser is FF 3.6ish. It's just this one site that does this.

Okay well even though your browser might not actually be set to use a proxy, ISP's may still use a transparent caching proxy in an attempt to reduce the load on their bandwidth. Try this Proxy Test first and see where it says your request came from.

bhickey wrote: »
    Okay well even though your browser might not actually be set to use a proxy, ISP's may still use a transparent caching proxy in an attempt to reduce the load on their bandwidth. Try this Proxy Test first and see where it says your request came from.

That site tells me that "This request appears NOT to have come via a proxy."

Just downloaded and installed Chrome, I've never had Chrome on this machine before. Went to the same site, hey, same problem. So it can't be machine caching, it's either the ISP, or something on my router?

• Advertisement
Advertisement