Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another kitten?

• 19-11-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

my little rescue kitten is 14 weeks old now, still an indoor girl and in very healthy shape. It was the best thing I ever did getting her, love her to bits.

But I've moved jobs recently and I'm not at home as much as I used to be. So I'm thinking of rescuing another to give her some company. I'm starting to see the traits of her loneliness during the day, she's goes a bit stir crazy when we get in and hates is when I go in the morning.

So should I get another? Should it be male? Any idea how old?
    Also, any advice on introducing them both?
    I've been googling and reading up on it and most sites have suggested putting the new arrival in a separate room on his own for a week. Is that a bit excessive? Especially with me being gone all day, the poor little thing would need some interaction.

The last thing I want is to upset my little one by having a newbie invade her terriritory. I should have just got 2 first day, I know......
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

i think a second kitten would be a great idea, i started off with two brothers and they had each other for company when i was at work or gone somewhere, now we have 4:eek:

Anyway most people will tell you to leave the kitten in a seperate room for a week or so, i have never done this i always just let the kitten around the cats and there does be some weird looks and usually a bit of hissing from the new kitten. But i always make sure to give the older cats loads of attention and they do be fine, the hissing always stopped after a few hours. And after a couple of days there eating out of the same bowls and after a couple of weeks there all sleeping together and the best of friends:D

Now i dont no if i just have very well behaved cats or what?? Also mine are all male cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've two female 1yr olds & it took a couple weeks for them to be used to each other. Kittens will be much faster.

You should definitely get another kitten around the same age if you can. Get them on a Friday so you have the weekend to settle them in. Speak to the shelter, they will give you advice.I'd do it sooner rather than later as kittens don't like to be on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Thanks guys, I think I'm defo going to do it. It must be fate - just rang the shelter and they have a litter of 10 week olds which would be perfect.
    I just cant stand the thought of her at home right now, bored. She had every toy in the book but you just cant beat live interaction.

More advice and thoughts welcome! I'm sure the fun will begin next weekend.(already cancelled all social activities :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Oh, that's great! She'll love her new friend! Might take a day or so for them to get to know each other but then they'll be thick as thieves. :)

If you're getting a male just be sure they're both neutered before she has her first heat (at about five to six months) as they WILL do the deed! Our vet neuters at 12 weeks onwards so they can both be done soon.

Just be sure your little lady is fully vaccinated before you bring another little one home.

Here are my two foster kittens playing. Sweep (the calico) LOVES Michi, the black and white lad! They have to spend a lot of time on their own as I'm at college but they're never bored and they cuddle up to each other and groom each other. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3wk_QXdYs

Thanks Boomerang,

should I get a male or female or does it matter? I read somewhere that the opposite sex is better to avoid rivalry. Herself is fully vaccinated, wormed and scheduled for neutering in Jan.

By the way, your two are adorable:)

• Advertisement

It was so difficult to find a kitten - believe it or not. The CSPCA had none (but I dont think that was for good reason :( )
    Any public ads I replied to - all gone, which is great of course.

Contacted the Animal Care Society and one of their volunteers has a little 3 month old guy. I'm collecting him friday, I'm so excited and nervous. So here's hoping he fits in ok.....;) Off to Maxi Zoo later to do some shopping.

These guys are great - I've also sponsored a cat.

http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm collecting him friday, I'm so excited and nervous. So here's hoping he fits in ok.....;) Off to Maxi Zoo later to do some shopping.

You'd better post loads of pictures or you'll be in trouble! :p

I will defo post some picture as soon as I have them....apparently the little guy is black, with a white ring around his neck...so his current name is Father Ted!!
    As hilarious as that is, I'll be changing it to Maxi. :)

well little Maxi (pic below) has arrived and he is adorable!

However, Tibby (4 month old she cat) does not like him at all. She hisses and spits, tries to hit him. Loves to chase him and tackle him to the ground.....she seems very put out. I am completely worried now that they will now get along. They are fully separated now and will remain so for another week, will try integrating then again.
    He on the other hands seems to love other cats and is dying to see her! Poor little guy...
    Will give it more time of course but dreading the possibility that they will be separated forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Adorable!
    I wouldn't worry too much about the integration. We've had loads of issues integrating our new stray to our other two. It's taken a long while (two months) and the two of them still aren't particularly happy with her but we've come to a cease-fire at the moment and they are gradually starting to tolerate her.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Adorable!
    I wouldn't worry too much about the integration. We've had loads of issues integrating our new stray to our other two. It's taken a long while (two months) and the two of them still aren't particularly happy with her but we've come to a cease-fire at the moment and they are gradually starting to tolerate her.

Oh thank god there is hope then!! I'm willing to wait for as long as they need; no way am I getting rid of him, he's been passed around enough. They are both booked into a 'double room' in a cattery for xmas, but my sister said she will take one if they are still not getting along.
    He is just too small to fight his corner at the moment, but believe it or not he actually tries. :)
    The lady who gave me this little guy said he is 3 months old; he is much smaller than I expect which leads me to think he is more like 2 months old. To be sure, he is off to my vet tonight for a little once over.
    He has the most lovable nature in a kitten I've ever come across - he loves to roll over on his back to get his tummy scratched! :D:D

Advertisement