Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Friday Helmet Debate.....

• 19-11-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

From the PBK Blog.......

"The fact that nowhere that has introduced a helmet law has been able to demonstrate any significant reduction in risk to cyclists is a convincing statement. To some extent it may be true that everyday cycling is simply not risky enough to require the use of helmets. However, ensuring that minors are required to wear helmets first and foremost is definitely a priority, even if convincing the adult populations of countries such as the Netherlands to wear helmets is likely to be a far more troublesome prospect."

My own view would be yes to helmets, no to compulsion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Jawgap wrote: »
    From the PBK Blog.......

"The fact that nowhere that has introduced a helmet law has been able to demonstrate any significant reduction in risk to cyclists is a convincing statement. To some extent it may be true that everyday cycling is simply not risky enough to require the use of helmets. However, ensuring that minors are required to wear helmets first and foremost is definitely a priority, even if convincing the adult populations of countries such as the Netherlands to wear helmets is likely to be a far more troublesome prospect."

My own view would be yes to helmets, no to compulsion.

I'm actually living over the Netherlands and I reckon it would be close to impossible to get everyone to wear a helmet over here (although the police are incredibly strict on having lights on bikes so if any country could pull it off....). Last winter when there was snow and ice everywhere I did see a lot of people cycling with their kids in kid seats with no helmets, an unnecessary risk imo. So there's no harm in wearing a helmet but I'm also against compulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

As I lay sprawled on my back on Brewery Road this morning, having vaulted over the handlebars of my bike after hitting a pedestrian, I was glad I was wearing my helmet. I was surprised at the force that the back of my head hit the ground. Although the impact would not have killed me, it might have left me concussed, cut, and badly scratched. After 5 years of commuting, this is the first time my helmet has been 'called into action'.

I think the wearing of helmets for adults is a personal choice. However, an informed opinion as to whether you wear one or not, (based on research findings, your own and other people's experience, etc), is much more desirable than an uninformed opinion.

Thankfully, everyone involved in this morning's incident was ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement