Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query - am I entitled to a receipt print out?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hoping for some insight into this. We bought a domestic item about about 3 years ago from a well known store, to the value of over 1000€. Now it is malfunctioning and of course, we cannot find the receipt! My mum who would know nothing about the consumer act etc. went in to query this and they politely told her its out of warranty etc. They were able to find her details on the computer immediately. My question is are they obliged to provide this record to me if I ask for it? Because unless legally they have to (maybe under the Data Protection Act?), I have a feeling if I just ask they won't give as they will presume I'm headin to the Small Claims COurt. Don't get me wrong, I will talk to them properly and ask again for them to rectify it, but just planning for the worst case scenario - are they obliged to provide me with that record/receipt? Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They should have a record ...full accounts must be kept for 7 years according to Revenue rules ....but they would be entitled to charge you for labour in retrieving and printing the record. It would not amount to €1000 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They must provide a receipt at the time of purchase. I'm not aware of any requirement to reprint a receipt at a later date. It would be entirely at the goodwill of the retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

That's what I'm getting at Dudara. What I think happened to the receipt is that we bought a new fridge day one and had a problem with it inside 30 days. So we called them up and they came back and collected that one and gave us a new (the current one) again. I am thinking we might have given them the receipt and not gotten it back. Anyway that's beside the point, it was our responsibility to keep it safe and we didn't. So under say the Freedom of INformation act, we cannot request the receipt from them? (does the act even apply to provide businesses?)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They should have a record ...full accounts must be kept for 7 years according to Revenue rules ....but they would be entitled to charge you for labour in retrieving and printing the record. It would not amount to €1000 though.

Thanks for the reply. Yup they have it on their books but just want to know if I can somehow force them to give it to me if it comes to it. Either that or I could bluff I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Either that or I could bluff I suppose!
    Oh don't become one of those "I know my rights rabble rabble" people who are wrong. You'll only end up making yourself look foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If it's DID they'll just reprint it there and then, at least that's what they did for me when mine became unreadable due to sunlight fading

Oh don't become one of those "I know my rights rabble rabble" people who are wrong. You'll only end up making yourself look foolish.

Just looking for advice thanks, not criticism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

tommy21 wrote: »
    Just looking for advice thanks, not criticism!
    That was advice.

That was advice.

OK Aidan I should have mentioned "helpful" advice. Anyway I don't want this thread shut down as I am looking for ideas, so if you don't have anything to contribute or don't like what I'm saying or my opinion, just don't post on the thread. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is it one of those flash crappy samsungs ??? there is a product recall of sorts on some of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK Aidan I should have mentioned "helpful" advice. Anyway I don't want this thread shut down as I am looking for ideas, so if you don't have anything to contribute or don't like what I'm saying or my opinion, just don't post on the thread. Cheers.

tommy21 Please leave the moderating to the moderators. If you have a problem with a post, then please use the Report Post functionality.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thanks for the reply. Yup they have it on their books but just want to know if I can somehow force them to give it to me if it comes to it. Either that or I could bluff I suppose!

You've already said that they traced the sale when your mother went back, so there's no need for you to do anything else. They've already got the proof of purchase on record. There's nothing for you to bluff, unless you're going to start lying or something. That will get you nowhere.

Any communication at this point should be done in writing. Outline the problem and ask for a remedy. Given the age of the appliance, over 3 years, a replacement or refund are pretty much off the cards, so a repair of the problem is what you should be seeking. Wait for their response.

Also, in order to get a copy of that receipt, why haven't you just asked already? This entire thread is moot because you don't know if they'll refuse or not yet. Ask first, and then see what happens. As I said though, you really don't need that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

dudara wrote: »
    They must provide a receipt at the time of purchase. I'm not aware of any requirement to reprint a receipt at a later date. It would be entirely at the goodwill of the retailer.

correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

dudara wrote: »

They're only required to provide a receipt at the time of purchase if you request one. They're under no obligation to give you a receipt or any proof of sale if you don't ask, though most do.

Advertisement