Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options
  • 19-11-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭

It took me ages to come up with that dynamic thread title :rolleyes: - I really should have enlisted the help of digger to come up with something catchy or snappy.
    Anywhooo, am stuck with it now.

When I started my log last year, my goal was the adidas race series half marathon - the though of doing 13.1 miles was a definite challenge. The more I ran, the more races I did, the more training logs I read, the more I began to enjoy, even love running, so the goalpost changed during the Summer when I signed up for DCM.

Here are my past PB race times plus my goals for this coming year.

5k 23:40 (Mizuno feet first 5k Killarney 13.11.10) sub 23
    5m 39:48 (Adidas race series :rolleyes:) sub 40 (a proper sub 40)
    10k 52:03 (Dunshaughlin 10k June '10) sub 50 (fingers crossed)
    10m 1:28:12 (adidas race series) no goal really
    half marathon 1:56:58 (adidas race series) sub 1:50 - optimistic perhaps...
    marathon 4:11:24 (DCM) sub 4hr

I suppose the ones I'm more interested in are the 10k, the half and the marathon, the others not so much.

Anyway my next focus is on the Waterford half. Haven't a goal in mind yet, would love to do sub 1:50 but don't think that is possible at the mo, 1:55 would be nice. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I see your year runs arseways like a tax return year or a school year… I prefer the clean cut new year’s day new year myself... Ha! :D No pressure over Christmas that way ;) Best of luck. Not a bother to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll be well able for those times - I can see I'm going to have to work hard next year to avoid getting chicked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Best of luck with your new log and your 2011 goals!

I'm with claralara on this one! I wont be starting mine until 2011, but then again I have to complete a PB in a Half before I can finish my current one.

Your goals for 2010 have already been achieved, well done on your times.

Ill follow with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great goals there and best of luck with them. Emm but I don't see Barca on that list :)...I should really work on commission for that org committee!!

I'm sure I'll be chatting to you in Waterford after and you'll have a sub 1:50 in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the new log.
    Lots of good runs this year, and good times! I'm jealous. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »
    It took me ages to come up with that dynamic thread title :rolleyes: - I really should have enlisted the help of digger to come up with something catchy or snappy.
    Anywhooo, am stuck with it now.

I think your Thread Title clearly displays that your focus is on training, running faster and creating new PB's and not the flim flam of catchy, creative and original titles....Not that "A new log for a new year" isn't remarkably catchy, creative and original......;)

Best of luck with the new goals......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Best of luck with the new log, and hitting your goal times. It'll be no bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

This time next year you'll be laughing at how much you've underestimated yourself! See you at Dunshaughlin for your sub 40!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I was so bold over the weekend, my running took a definite back seat. It was my little boy's birthday on Saturday, so between preparing for it, supervising an army of screaming crazed 5/6 year olds and then recovering from it, I was in no mood for running. It was more an evening for lying on the couch enjoying the sound of silence! :D

I did a 10k run last night. No idea of time as my garmin is sick. It just won't pick up a satellite, it goes nearly to the end and then just as you think it's picked them up, it starts all over again. So annoying :(
    On the flip side it was nice to run with no time or distance pressure.

Am back to using mapmyrun and stopwatch to record my runs. Not sure how accurate this is, did 6.8miles this morning in 56:55. Lovely run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Lovely run, well done!

I'd be confident enough in the mapmyrun & stop watch method. (It's all I know!!) I'd say once you tick the 'follow roads' box, you can't go far off. I've checked my run to work on the car trip a couple of times and it seems pretty bang on. Also if I go to the satellite view, I can see exactly where my house is to start and where the office is to finish. At the very least I'd say it won't overestimate your abilities so rest assured you're not being swindled and you actually are that good! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I did a 10k run last night. No idea of time as my garmin is sick. It just won't pick up a satellite, it goes nearly to the end and then just as you think it's picked them up, it starts all over again.

Sometimes when I do this I switch it off and back on again, and when it restarts it picks the satellites up almost immediately.
    Krusty might know how it works, is it switching to use different satellites or something?

6 miles today, 51:22. Had planned on doing a few more miles, but the back of my leg above my knee was a bit niggly, so I decided to call it a day.

5 cold miles in 44:26 - hey hey the garmin is back! I had to ring the garmin helpline and was shown how to reset it.
    Crikey it's cold out there..... it was a nice brisk crisp run.
    We're going out for pizza now, so I can deffo pile on the toppings guilt free :D

Um, just rescued my log from oblivion :o
    Did 4 miles last night. Wanted to do more but OH wasn't home from work til late, so 4 miles had to do. Nice run, although it involved a little 'dancing' on the footpaths avoiding the icy pathes... Knocklyon needs more thawing! NOW!
    My garmin is still fecked so I'm not sure of time/speed - have to send it back. It's not even 6 months old yet! :(

Um, just rescued my log from oblivion :o
    Did 4 miles last night. Wanted to do more but OH wasn't home from work til late, so 4 miles had to do. Nice run, although it involved a little 'dancing' on the footpaths avoiding the icy pathes... Knocklyon needs more thawing! NOW!
    My garmin is still fecked so I'm not sure of time/speed - have to send it back. It's not even 6 months old yet! :(

Ah..Welcome back...It is slippy alright, I managed to fall yesterday but bounced back up as if nothing had happened and ran on...Unfortunately it was witnessed :eek: My Girls thought it was v funny, me in my gloves and running tights sprawled half on the road and half on the grass verge! With all the races postponed etc. I've lost track (get it...track) of what everyone is doing...What's your next race?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ah..Welcome back...It is slippy alright, I managed to fall yesterday but bounced back up as if nothing had happened and ran on...Unfortunately it was witnessed :eek: My Girls thought it was v funny, me in my gloves and running tights sprawled half on the road and half on the grass verge! With all the races postponed etc. I've lost track (get it...track) of what everyone is doing...What's your next race?

I saw this quote yesterday 'If you stumble, make it part of your dance'. :) Pity we can't apply that to running. I was like a little old dear last night in parts. I had to run on the bike track for nearly all of it. Glad you're not hurt anyway.
    I had signed up for Waterford, so I'll keep going training for that. I'm just happy to be out really - I'm not going to be too goal-intensive for now.

What about yourself? You sound as if you're not back into the swing of things yet. I really hope DCM hasn't scarred you - you were doing amazing before that. :)

What about yourself? You sound as if you're not back into the swing of things yet. I really hope DCM hasn't scarred you - you were doing amazing before that. :)

Ah yeh...A few issues at the moment to sort out before I clear my head and get stuck into running again. Once sorted I'll set a goal and get going again...Just trying to do enough at the moment to keep ticking over!

That's good :)

Ah yeh...A few issues at the moment to sort out before I clear my head and get stuck into running again. Once sorted I'll set a goal and get going again...Just trying to do enough at the moment to keep ticking over!

That doesn't sound like the Digger we all know and um tolerate:D, back on the horse young man, see you on Saturday morning 10am sharp ;)

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like the Digger we all know and um tolerate:D, back on the horse young man, see you on Saturday morning 10am sharp ;)

Ok so, papal cross?

Ok so, papal cross?

Good man, 10am!

Luckily I got some running sessions in before this latest deluge of snow!

Friday 8 miles, Saturday 5 miles and yesterday 4 miles in a very deserted but beautiful Marlay Park (-6 degrees too, I am so :cool: ) Then last night around 9.30pm as I had to get off a non-moving bus on the Knocklyon/Firhouse road, I'm knee deep in snow and there are no other people around, some guy decked out in running gear sprints past me. Me, now not so :cool:

There is always some crazier runner out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Then last night around 9.30pm as I had to get off a non-moving bus on the Knocklyon/Firhouse road
    Were you on the 49 as well?

Were you on the 49 as well?

No, the 74. A nice s-l-o-w journey from town. :rolleyes:

So finally got out yesterday a nice 8.5 miles over to Marlay park, a lap of the park and then home. My God was it warm, nice though, but I wore too much clothing. Glad to be back out there again, even though my legs were in shock for a few miles. :) I was tired, but it was so worth it. Will try to get out again this evening.

So finally got out yesterday a nice 8.5 miles over to Marlay park, a lap of the park and then home. My God was it warm, nice though, but I wore too much clothing. Glad to be back out there again, even though my legs were in shock for a few miles. :) I was tired, but it was so worth it. Will try to get out again this evening.

There's a few going to the Phoenix Park tomorrow morning if you're interested...Not sure as yet if I can make it myself.

There's a few going to the Phoenix Park tomorrow morning if you're interested...Not sure as yet if I can make it myself.

Only saw this now. The home PC is from the stone age and I really can't be bothered to switch it on, only when completely necessary.
    Hope you got out today!
    There are so many logs I need to catch up on and comment on. Will have to wait til I get back to work next week! :D

Got to the park today. As my garmin is in 'intensive care', I just ran for an hour, steady pace. Very tough in the beginning, but began to ease into it.

Am in no shape at the moment for Waterford, won't really be hoping to break any records there. yeah, I know the competitive streak that is in all of us will break out and I'll be gutted if I can't do another sub 2hr. I have got to get back into the swing of things.....

"Step away from the tin of Roses".................:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

Only saw this now. The home PC is from the stone age and I really can't be bothered to switch it on, only when completely necessary.
    Hope you got out today!
    There are so many logs I need to catch up on and comment on. Will have to wait til I get back to work next week! :D

Yep, made it in and did 10 miles with meno, chinguetti, RK, mrslow, Ral and brianderunner.....Was really nice for running...Some of the guys who are in training for Barca etc. went on and did another 20....

We are in the Park again on the 3rd if you're not back in work!...10 AM Papal Cross.....

Advertisement