Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sounds very similar to how I trained for Barcelona, only I had 5 runs in the week (LSR, 8-10 miles on Sunday, either 8-10 miles or a track session midweek, and two recovery runs).

Are you just showing off now?! :p
    Jeez the pressure! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

How many 20's are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Are you just showing off now?! :p
    Jeez the pressure! ;)

Got feck all to show off about considering my "LSR" for this week is 20 minutes :pac:

mrslow wrote: »
    How many 20's are you planning?

I'll aim for 3. So one down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

digger2d2 wrote: »
    He'll be too busy scoring chicks with his Ultra medal draped around his neck....;)

That only works with the Dingle 50M medal.

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »

If ye need medals for that lads, there's a problem...:)

Aimman wrote: »

If Menopause wasn't doing Berlin I'd read that as a challenge to him :pac:

If Menopause wasn't doing Berlin I'd read that as a challenge to him :pac:

I read it as 'Mine is bigger than yours' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I read it as 'Mine is bigger than yours' :D

So who is going to do Little Rock first then?
    [Embedded Image Removed]

So, set out on Sat morning for an LSR, was thinking 16, maybe 18. I did 15 miles and wasn't able for one step more. It was a horrible horrible run. I didn't feel 100% before I left home, blocked nose, a bit stuffy....

At mile 11, when I was 4 miles away from my car it all fell apart, I was hot, tired, grumpy - my shoes bothered me, my ipod was annoying, my stomach was acting up.... I stopped to walk twice. I finally got back to the car, I was an emotional wreck. I was questioning my whole ability to run or even think of doing another marathon.

Took yesterday off to 'recover' (in every sense of the word).

The run took me 2:30, I think 9:58 mile pace.

• Advertisement

Been there, it's not a nice feeling. Look after yourself now, and pick yourself back up and get back in the saddle next week. You know yourself that you're tough, it was just a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think we all should have gone to Connemara, that's where all the good runs were...

So, set out on Sat morning for an LSR, was thinking 16, maybe 18. I did 15 miles and wasn't able for one step more. It was a horrible horrible run. I didn't feel 100% before I left home, blocked nose, a bit stuffy....

At mile 11, when I was 4 miles away from my car it all fell apart, I was hot, tired, grumpy - my shoes bothered me, my ipod was annoying, my stomach was acting up.... I stopped to walk twice. I finally got back to the car, I was an emotional wreck. I was questioning my whole ability to run or even think of doing another marathon.

Took yesterday off to 'recover' (in every sense of the word).

The run took me 2:30, I think 9:58 mile pace.

Bad runs are there to make us appreciate the great ones!

Chin up Missus

Bad runs are there to make us appreciate the great ones!

Chin up Missus

I know you're right. I mean it's the firsty crappy run I've had really since DCM. But my God it really took so much out of me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

It's horrible when a run goes wrong, it completely messes with your head. We've all been there, but as Mr S said, it makes the good runs real good. :)

Forget about it, and move on with this weeks plan.

I expect these words will come back to haunt me in July, when I'm back in marathon mode :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

K, it has happened before and look how you recovered from it! :)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    K, it has happened before and look how you recovered from it! :)

With a greater appreciation for Digger's banana? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

With a greater appreciation for Digger's banana? :pac:

Is that meant to be a motivator :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RubyK wrote: »
    It's horrible when a run goes wrong, it completely messes with your head. We've all been there, but as Mr S said, it makes the good runs real good. :)

Forget about it, and move on with this weeks plan.

I'm robbing Ruby's quote...wise words :)

Took another rest day yesterday. Am still not feeling well. I aim to do some miles this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Took another rest day yesterday. Am still not feeling well. I aim to do some miles this evening.

You sound like you could do with a relaxing week this week- don't burn yourself out, less could be more

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    You sound like you could do with a relaxing week this week- don't burn yourself out, less could be more

Totally agree, perfect time for a step back week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Totally agree, perfect time for a step back week.

+1
    When your body needs a break, take a break. Rest or very short, very slow running only, until the energy comes back.

...you're a Mammy, now put on your Mammy hat and what would you be saying to yourself? :rolleyes:

I agree, if you feel like you're turning running into a chore, you'll start to resent it. It's no harm to take a bit of time out, relax and then get back into it.

Emer911 wrote: »
    +1
    When your body needs a break, take a break. Rest or very short, very slow running only, until the energy comes back.

...you're a Mammy, now put on your Mammy hat and what would you be saying to yourself? :rolleyes:

wearing a sensible mammy hat and training for a marathon don't mix! You know yourself! :D

Despite all the good advice, I headed out yesterday after work. I was thinking 5 or 6 miles, 8 at a push. (one of those evenings where I had time on my side, not always the case)

It was a weird (see digger I can spell weird!) one. The first mile was comfortable, then the next 3 were tough (they were slightly uphill, but still). It was like my right leg was heavy and unwilling. :( Then after I'd say 4 miles, things just clicked (and in a good way ;)) The last 4 miles were great, especially the last mile home.
    Delighted to have that under my belt. Things are good again.
    8 miles in 1:13. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That was great going jcsmum, and restores your faith in running :D

Despite all the good advice, I headed out yesterday after work. I was thinking 5 or 6 miles, 8 at a push. (one of those evenings where I had time on my side, not always the case)

It was a weird (see digger I can spell weird!) one. The first mile was comfortable, then the next 3 were tough (they were slightly uphill, but still). It was like my right leg was heavy and unwilling. :( Then after I'd say 4 miles, things just clicked (and in a good way ;)) The last 4 miles were great, especially the last mile home.
    Delighted to have that under my belt. Things are good again.
    8 miles in 1:13. :)

Our reverse psychology techniques worked then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good to see you're back on form. Everyone gets these glitches...the thing is not to let them derail you...so well done, 8 miles is a proper run.

Advertisement