Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

mrslow wrote: »
    I have to stop offering advice 1361.gif

No, don't do that!
    You know if I get a sub 4 in Cork, it will be all down to the uncrossing of my arms! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    No, don't do that!
    You know if I get a sub 4 in Cork, it will be all down to the uncrossing of my arms! ;)

What's this 'if' business, WHEN you get sub 4!

Edit: 5 weeks and 6 days to go!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I suppose you could call it that

No harm in that at all jcsmum, bet you'll feel all the better for it this week.
    Am also trying to 'correct' my arms.... when I remember it! :)

Me too! But I'm finding it really hard to change my running style.

Time to log a few runs.

21 miles on Saturday morning in 3:29, pace of 9:58 (only a mile away C!!)
    This run felt really good, only one little pocket of tiredness around mile 17/18. After 7 miles on my own, met Nules10 for her 14, it was great to have the company. We must have sprinted the last mile to the cars, well that's what it felt like anyway :). All we were missing was the music from Chariots of Fire.

4 miles recovery run on Sunday 36:51, pace of 9:12. Probably faster than what I intended, but felt really good.

8 miles on Monday, over to Marlay park, a lap of the park and then home. Really blustery wind into my face on the way over to the park, but I made up the time on the way back. 8 miles in 1:12, pace of 9:05. Really nice strong run.

Time to log a few runs.

21 miles on Saturday morning in 3:29, pace of 9:58 (only a mile away C!!)
    This run felt really good, only one little pocket of tiredness around mile 17/18. After 7 miles on my own, met Nules10 for her 14, it was great to have the company. We must have sprinted the last mile to the cars, well that's what it felt like anyway :). All we were missing was the music from Chariots of Fire.

4 miles recovery run on Sunday 36:51, pace of 9:12. Probably faster than what I intended, but felt really good.

8 miles on Monday, over to Marlay park, a lap of the park and then home. Really blustery wind into my face on the way over to the park, but I made up the time on the way back. 8 miles in 1:12, pace of 9:05. Really nice strong run.

Another one? You're not messin are you?

Don't push too much for the last few weeks, with 3/4 20 milers the injury odds are up. Are you revising your goal?

• Advertisement

Another one? You're not messin are you?

Don't push too much for the last few weeks, with 3/4 20 milers the injury odds are up. Are you revising your goal?

Nope! My training will be a bit of a mess the last 2 weeks before Cork - family stuff, so I'm a bit worried about that, but I have the LSRs done, so it's all about on the day!

Nope! My training will be a bit of a mess the last 2 weeks before Cork - family stuff, so I'm a bit worried about that, but I have the LSRs done, so it's all about on the day!

Damn! I was hoping you'd pace me to 3:45!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That must be about eight 20 milers you've one...Do you think I have a major shareholding in Fyffes? :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great stuff K on 21 miles and with a sprint to finish it off!!

Yep will be out on Sat morning if you're around. No idea on what my plan is (need to make up my mind on strategy for Kildare) but should be on for at least a 10.

shazkea wrote: »
    Great stuff K on 21 miles and with a sprint to finish it off!!

Yep will be out on Sat morning if you're around. No idea on what my plan is (need to make up my mind on strategy for Kildare) but should be on for at least a 10.

That would be perfect, I can always start the hour earlier and meet you after 7 (miles that is, not o'clock!) ;) I think Nules is up for a run too.

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That must be about eight 20 milers you've one...Do you think I have a major shareholding in Fyffes? :D;)

tut tut ;)

tut tut ;)

How did I miss that???:eek:

How did I miss that???:eek:

I know, cos they're few and far between! He's so precise!!! :rolleyes:

While JC is at hip hop on Tuesday evenings, I have an hour to kill
    5.5 miles in 48.04, pace of 8:44
    Legs felt tired for the first mile or two, but again the last mile or so felt really good.

After a rest of 3 days :o I met the gang this morning for an LSR, Aimman, Digger, Pistol and Claralara (on 2 wheels providing support!) We looped back at 5.5 miles for Shaz and Nules10

The plan for me was 17, but the pace at times was a little bit quick for me (how the hell am I going to 26.2 miles at 9.07 pace! :eek::confused:) so wasn't sure what I was going to end up doing. Digger suggested the magic word '20' and I though maybe....

I left nules, aimman and CL near the cars when I was at nearly 17 miles and headed off to do '1 more'. Digger had already headed off into the sunset to do 20. When I reached 18, I said 'okay just one more'. I got back to the car at 19.4. You couldn't have paid me to do another 0.6 of a mile let alone 0.1. I was wrecked. I lay on the couch for a bit when I got home and all I could feel were my calves twitching.

This was the most tiring LSR so far. 19.4m, pace of 9:40

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

(how the hell am I going to 26.2 miles at 9.07 pace! :eek::confused:)
    I asked myself the same question all the way through training for Barcelona!

Nice work today btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

. (how the hell am I going to 26.2 miles at 9.07 pace! :eek::confused:)

Apparently there's guaranteed tail-wind along all of the route in Cork.:D

Seriously though your training has gone great, you'll fly it!

After a rest of 3 days :o I met the gang this morning for an LSR, Aimman, Digger, Pistol and Claralara (on 2 wheels providing support!) We looped back at 5.5 miles for Shaz and Nules10

The plan for me was 17, but the pace at times was a little bit quick for me (how the hell am I going to 26.2 miles at 9.07 pace! :eek::confused:) so wasn't sure what I was going to end up doing. Digger suggested the magic word '20' and I though maybe....

I left nules, aimman and CL near the cars when I was at nearly 17 miles and headed off to do '1 more'. Digger had already headed off into the sunset to do 20. When I reached 18, I said 'okay just one more'. I got back to the car at 19.4. You couldn't have paid me to do another 0.6 of a mile let alone 0.1. I was wrecked. I lay on the couch for a bit when I got home and all I could feel were my calves twitching.

You did brilliant out there today and 19.4 rocks girl :D. Stopping and starting as you waited for a crocked runner couldn't have helped either :o... Plus we had a quiet word with Aimman on his strategy for getting ye across the line under 4 - all in hand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done you did great to knock out the 19.4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You're after getting plenty of 20 milers in jcsmum, you're in great nick for Cork. The tough sessions like Saturday will keep you strong, in body and mind :)

• Advertisement

5 mile recovery run yesterday, not sure about calling it a recovery run though. It was 5 miles, 44:55, pace of 8:59.
    Everything felt really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

5 mile recovery run yesterday, not sure about calling it a recovery run though. It was 5 miles, 44:55, pace of 8:59.
    Everything felt really good.

Well done on Saturday and good pace yesterday. Don't worry about sub 4. I think you'll be fine.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done on Saturday and good pace yesterday. Don't worry about sub 4. I think you'll be fine.

She should be looking at 3:50/5!

DigiJem wrote: »
    Apparently there's guaranteed tail-wind along all of the route in Cork.:D

Seriously though your training has gone great, you'll fly it!

:pac:

shazkea wrote: »
    You did brilliant out there today and 19.4 rocks girl :D. Stopping and starting as you waited for a crocked runner couldn't have helped either :o... Plus we had a quiet word with Aimman on his strategy for getting ye across the line under 4 - all in hand!!

It didn't involve sticks or rolling pins did it? ;)

She should be looking at 3:50/5!

... but she isn't!

... but she isn't!

But she should be!!!:mad:

But she should be!!!:mad:

This could go on a bit, so I'll agree with you.... ;)

This could go on a bit, so I'll agree with you.... ;)
    So what's it to be? 3:50???

• Advertisement

It didn't involve sticks or rolling pins did it? ;)

LOL, nope not quite. Although if I'd had a rolling pin in the house I would have tried it out yesterday...my baking skills are crap though so luckily I don't!!

Nope simple strategy...we (the coolest relay team ever) are going to take over pacing...guaranteed sub 4 then ;). Only on offer to fellow boards though and the price is a round of drinks (alcoholic) for every minute we get ye under 4...how does that sound :D
    Aimman - this is a new strategy...just go with it!!!

Advertisement