Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice work :)

You into taper now?

Indeed I am! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Indeed I am! :)

Woohoo! Some very solid training done over the last while, just get through the next 3 weeks safe, sane and sound and you'll have a great run in Cork. :cool::D

mrslow wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd eat anything after a run, did I not warn you it'd be covered in Meno's hairy sweat? :eek:

Sorry about the Kyber I always dread it but just wanted to conquer it yesterday.

:pac:

Re the kyber, you surely did conquer it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Happy tapering jcsmum! Let the madness begin ;) Seriously though, you've put in great work, roll on 6th June and a lovely new PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done on your last long one K. You are doing great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on another long run and thanks for coming up to the finish of the Sportsworld 5.......Was great to get that cheer and see some friendly faces:)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done on another long run and thanks for coming up to the finish of the Sportsworld 5.......Was great to get that cheer and see some friendly faces:)

You're very welcome. You looked fresh as a daisy too. Roll on Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Enjoy the taper, I look forward to reading about the madness :). And thanks for the cheer at sportsworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Great running
    You've so many long runs in you at this stage that the real thing is a mere trifle
    Mind your taper and get the legs in good nick

Due to matters beyond my control, I can't do Cork. :( Absolutely gutted, but like I say, beyond my control.
    I am looking at the Newry Marathon which is on the week before. It looks like a small (maybe lonely) marathon. My heart and head won't be in it as much, but I'd hate to let all this training go to waste.

Any advise would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Due to matters beyond my control, I can't do Cork. :( Absolutely gutted, but like I say, beyond my control.
    I am looking at the Newry Marathon which is on the week before. It looks like a small (maybe lonely) marathon. My heart and head won't be in it as much, but I'd hate to let all this training go to waste.

So sorry to hear that :(

Might be worth having a go at Newry. 2 week taper is just fine, that's what I did for Barcelona. Tbh you'll never be *too* lonely at 4 hour pace in a marathon, even in a smaller race there's usually a bit of a group aiming for that. Could you also consider Portumna about 2 weeks after Cork? There will be a lot of the usual ultra suspects around for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Damn, that's a pity.
    How about travelling? Caen marathon on the 19th?

So sorry to hear that :(

Might be worth having a go at Newry. 2 week taper is just fine, that's what I did for Barcelona. Tbh you'll never be *too* lonely at 4 hour pace in a marathon, even in a smaller race there's usually a bit of a group aiming for that. Could you also consider Portumna about 2 weeks after Cork? There will be a lot of the usual ultra suspects around for that.

Thanks J, Portumna would also be be an option I guess. Part of me just says 'do Newry and get it over with'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Any advise would be appreciated.

Ah sh1te....That's a real pity!:(

RayCun wrote: »
    Damn, that's a pity.
    How about travelling? Caen marathon on the 19th?

Thanks Ray, but I really don't want to travel abroad for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's such a shame jcsmum, if I were you I'd enter up for Newry. You've all that hard work done now. Go for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sorry to hear that. There's nothing wrong with switching your focus to the DCM, i know it seems like a long way off but you'll have an excellent base built up before an 18/24 week program. In the meantime you could do a short race or 2 (Donore/Dunshaughlin?) just to 'use' the training you've done. It won't go to waste that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sorry to hear that K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ah Noes :mad:, I am really diappointed for you. I guess there is just no way around this?
    Definately do either Newry or Portumna, it would be a shame to put the fitness you have built up to waste. 4hrs is just a formality now, so you just need to find a race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sorry to hear that. There's nothing wrong with switching your focus to the DCM, i know it seems like a long way off but you'll have an excellent base built up before an 18/24 week program. In the meantime you could do a short race or 2 (Donore/Dunshaughlin?) just to 'use' the training you've done. It won't go to waste that's for sure.

I'd agree with Brianderunner, if your heart isn't in Newry you've already lost half the battle, maybe look for a half a few weeks after Cork and get the best out of your built up endurance and roll on to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Oh crap, I'm absolutely gutted for you - hope everything is ok.

Not sure if this helps but here's what I heard about Newry. Nice course and its well organised, first half is rolling but pretty flat afterwards but can be quite windy. Apparently support was great for the first few miles but a bit quiet in the middle stages of the race. Other thing was that the field was quite small which can be good or bad depending on what you are used to.

If you do race it I have no problem combining this with a trip to Banbridge Outlet centre (:D:D) and acting as a cheerleader - not that far away from me here.

Don't know anything about Portuma so no comments there but as RK says plenty of boards support there.

shazkea wrote: »

Don't know anything about Portuma so no comments there but as RK says plenty of boards support there.

Yeah Loads of Boardises are doing portumna (though most are doing the 100k option :eek:) and it is on a short loop of 5k. It pretty unanimously got top marks on the event thread last year so i have no doubt it is an extremely well organised/ suported race.

shazkea wrote: »
    Oh crap, I'm absolutely gutted for you - hope everything is ok.

Not sure if this helps but here's what I heard about Newry. Nice course and its well organised, first half is rolling but pretty flat afterwards but can be quite windy. Apparently support was great for the first few miles but a bit quiet in the middle stages of the race. Other thing was that the field was quite small which can be good or bad depending on what you are used to.

If you do race it I have no problem combining this with a trip to Banbridge Outlet centre (:D:D) and acting as a cheerleader - not that far away from me here.

Thanks Shaz, am very much leaning towards Newry to be honest. Dust off your pom poms I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ah no thats terrible jcsmum... hope you are ok. I don't think i am around the day of the Newry Marathon but if i am i will pop up to cheer you on :) not far from me either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Sorry to hear that Cork isn’t happening for you. I think you’re right to go for Newry, you’ve got great training under your belt and you’ve a couple of weeks to get your head used to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

That's a pity
    I'd have a few sleeps on this before deciding;
    When do you need to take a decision on Newry?
    What other events are on- Clontarf is that on in July, Longford in August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks Shaz, am very much leaning towards Newry to be honest. Dust off your pom poms I'd say :D

Consider them dusted - or at least my credit card for the outlet centre after ;)

Suppose I should start logging a few runs.

Last Wed ran for half an hour, forgot the garmin, everything felt okay.

Friday, 5 miles, 9 min miles (or less). This run was not nice, I felt heavy & clunky. Everything felt tight, especially my right leg. :(

Saturday did nothing, too windy... 'preservation' is key this week.

Yesterday 8 miles, not sure of pace, but I started slow but after 2 miles, the pace picked up. I sprinted the last mile, not sure why..... maybe because I could. It was an 8 min mile or so :) It did wonders for my confidence.

I signed up for Newry. Not sure what to expect and how it will all go, but I will do my best.

Best of Luck with it. Here's hoping the wind has died down by then. Take it nice and esy this week and make sure you're well rested.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of Luck with it. Here's hoping the wind has died down by then. Take it nice and esy this week and make sure you're well rested.

Yes sir!

Advertisement