Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with Newry! One upshot: A hell of a lot less time to get into proper taper madness! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with Newry! One upshot: A hell of a lot less time to get into proper taper madness! :pac:

I know, cos the nerves have started already! At least it's one less week of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

jcsmum wrote: »
    Suppose I should start logging a few runs.

Last Wed ran for half an hour, forgot the garmin, everything felt okay.

Friday, 5 miles, 9 min miles (or less). This run was not nice, I felt heavy & clunky. Everything felt tight, especially my right leg. :(

Saturday did nothing, too windy... 'preservation' is key this week.

Yesterday 8 miles, not sure of pace, but I started slow but after 2 miles, the pace picked up. I sprinted the last mile, not sure why..... maybe because I could. It was an 8 min mile or so :) It did wonders for my confidence.

I signed up for Newry. Not sure what to expect and how it will all go, but I will do my best.

Sorry to hear about Cork. Just wanted to wish you best of luck for Newry.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about Cork. Just wanted to wish you best of luck for Newry.

ah thanks a mill! :)

(oh, and thanks to everyone else for their advice and good wishes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

ah thanks a mill! :)

(oh, and thanks to everyone else for their advice and good wishes!)

Taper Time :eek:

2 Weeks of lunacy to go....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey missus, just catching up now. Sorry to hear about Cork after all of your hard work. It’s such a shame, but there’s always next year. You’ll be going for the sub 3.30 for your next attempt in the Rebel Country! Best of luck with Newry! :)

claralara wrote: »
    Hey missus, just catching up now. Sorry to hear about Cork after all of your hard work. It’s such a shame, but there’s always next year. You’ll be going for the sub 3.30 for your next attempt in the Rebel Country! Best of luck with Newry! :)

:pac: (I can laugh cos I know you have a sense of humour.... well you'd want to knowing some of your running buddies ;) )

This has been a weird week. I've probably been overdoing it on the resting/non running part of the programme. I really have to stop eating crap, drink more water and go to bed earlier.... tut tut.

I decided to run in Marlay yesterday, but I had to bring the little man with me. I plonked him in the middle of the field in front of the house with his toys and I figured I would do laps of the field to get me to 3 miles. Every time I passed him, he started cheering and roaring 'momeeee, momeeeee, come on momeeeeeeeeeee'. :o
    He then got fed up playing and joined me for a lap. I think I have a little speedster on my hands. I think he ran a mile, with a jacket and school shoes!

3 miles in 24:07, pace of 8:02

When it gets to the tough bits in Newry, just keep that image of your little man cheering for you in mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

This has been a weird week. I've probably been overdoing it on the resting/non running part of the programme. I really have to stop eating crap, drink more water and go to bed earlier.... tut tut.

Well I never......:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

How supportive is your little man, he sounds adorable :)

The very best of luck for Newry jcsmum (not that you need it!), you've put in mighty work, and I've no doubt you'll run a fantastic time. I look forward to reading your glowing race report.

Enjoy!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Best of luck for Sunday, have a good run. Put the head down into the wind and go get that sub 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Best of luck - but you don't need it, you'll destroy that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck on Sunday. Will be looking forward to the race report. Hope the wind (and the rain) behaves itself :D

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Taper madness was okay to be honest, but the nerves have definitely kicked in today! I just can't wait to be at the start line.

I've heard the first half of the course is hilly enough and the second is 'lonely' (it's on a path :confused:) so I'm not sure what to expect.

I know that after DCM, I couldn't wait to sign up for another marathon as I had enjoyed it so much and felt amazing crossing the line. So here I am less than 2 days away from another one.... Mentally I was very focused for Cork, it helped knowing others running it and knowing Aimman and Meno would be pacing and also the bonus of having family support...... but twas not to be....

Obviously a sub-4 is the goal, but I won't be beating myself up if I don't do it ;), I can always look ahead to this years DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Taper madness was okay to be honest, but the nerves have definitely kicked in today! I just can't wait to be at the start line.

I've heard the first half of the course is hilly enough and the second is 'lonely' (it's on a path :confused:) so I'm not sure what to expect.

I know that after DCM, I couldn't wait to sign up for another marathon as I had enjoyed it so much and felt amazing crossing the line. So here I am less than 2 days away from another one.... Mentally I was very focused for Cork, it helped knowing others running it and knowing Aimman and Meno would be pacing and also the bonus of having family support...... but twas not to be....

Obviously a sub-4 is the goal, but I won't be beating myself up if I don't do it ;), I can always look ahead to this years DCM.

Best of luck on Sunday- Knock em dead!
    4hrs is in your head, its in your legs; now just do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Make yourself a pace band and try to keep yourself on target by comparing it with the mile markers.

Best of luck again.

Where to begin.... I've decided to breakdown this race report into sections as I could ramble on forever.

Start line & expectations
    Was in good form at the start line, no injury, niggles, good nights sleep, weather looking pretty good, relaxed set up before the race. I supposed the thought of getting a sub 4 was 50/50. Little did I know what lay ahead.

Mile 1-13
    I started off too fast and couldn't seem to rein myself in. I was with the 4 hour pacer for the first 2 miles, he did the first mile in about 8 mins :eek: and then he probably eased off the pace a bit. I have no idea why, but I felt that I wanted to be a few steps in front of him which is what I did. No idea how far ahead I moved, but he and his band of merry men/women overtook me at mile 14 (they were 3 mins ahead of sub 4 pace then)
    Okay, who ever said that the first part of this marathon was 'rolling', I'd like to give him a piece of my mind :mad: The first few miles were flat along the canal, mile 4-13 was hilly. And I mean HILLY. I found it near impossible to pace myself. I did have a pace band, but I seem to be about 2 mins ahead at every mile. I kept telling myself to slow down... Then I'd come to another hill, rather than lose momentum, I seemed to forge up the hill and sprint down the other side. I think I was very inexperienced here and I paid for it later

Mile 13.1 - mile 20
    I passed the half way mark at 1:55 - happy days, not really. I knew I had gone too fast and my body was severely suffering. From mile 13, the course was mainly flattish and on a pathway along a canal. When the 4 hour pacer overtook me, I was deflated eventhough I was still on course for a sub 4. Every step took so much out of me. I stopped, started to walk. :( I lost track of the number of times I walked. And each time I stopped, I was on the verge of tears, there was no-one around, nobody out supporting, maybe 1 or 2 runners in the distance, no marshalls..... I felt completely alone. I didn't cry, it was more of a whimper and I did a hell of a lot of whimpering yeserday :D

Mile 21-26.2
    At mile 20, even with all my walking, I was still on course to get a sub 4. Logistically that is, emotionally and physically I knew that it was too big an ask, that it was slowly but surely slipping from my grasp. At mile 21 I think, I came across 4 marshalls just chatting along the path. I told them I wanted to stop. They made me sit down on a bench and they gave me water. If you had told me before the marathon that I would be sitting down chatting to 4 marshalls during a marthon I'd have been highly offended but that is all I could do! After a few mins rest, I headed off again. One of the marshalls had a motorbike and he told me he'd be heading down the path later and he'd check in on me. He checked in on me at mile 25 :rolleyes: I felt the isolation so bad during this stretch. There were only a handful of supporters along the canal - the people that were out cheering were lovely, but it was mile after mile of despair for me. Maybe if there were more people around, I would have been less likely to walk so much... just to save face :o.
    The canal pathway ended at mile 25, the family were camped out there. I think I scowled and grunted at them. I haven't stopped apologising since! The last mile to the finish was through the town. Again, very little support. I ran the last mile like my life depended on it and managed a sprint finish.

Finish line & analysis
    At the finish line I was just so thrilled to have finished. My garmin read 4:13 So many times from mile 14 - 25, I just couldn't see how it was possible, I had so much self doubt and despair. I happily queued at the ice spa/bath trailer. Despite my meltdown, I felt okay at the finish line. After DCM, I just wanted to sleep, yesterday I didn't have that awful sense of fatigue. Newry was not the race for me. My strategy was all wrong, I went out too fast, I managed the hills all wrong, I began to distrust myself. But on the upside, I feel that yesterday was huge in terms of character building. I'm actually not that hung up on not achieving the sub 4. I do think that it is in me somewhere.... roll on DCM! :)

On a side note, thanks to everyone for the texts and PMs- they were all really appreciated.

But on the upside, I feel that yesterday was huge in terms of character building. I'm actually not that hung up on not achieving the sub 4. I do think that it is in me somewhere.... roll on DCM! :)
    That's the best way to look at it. It's not very pleasant while it's happening, but you do learn an awful lot from the hard days, and it sounds like yesterday certainly was one. Look after yourself now!

The sub-4 is *definitely* there, and it will feel fantastic when you do it in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey there, fair dues to you! That sounds like a tough course, mentally and physically, but you persevered, and kept going. That experience will really stand to you, DCM will be a breeze after that.

One of the main reasons I only want to do 1 marathon a year - Dublin - is because of the support en-route. I have no doubt the crowds got me a sub4. I'd have really struggled without them.

Enjoy a bit of a rest, and then roll on DCM '11 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

DCM will be a breeze for you! Well done on sticking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great report, glad the experience hasn't scarred you so much and that you're going to get straight back on the horse for DCM. That's not what you said on sunday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Sounds like you had a tough day but I think everyone here has had one of them at one time or another. It'll just make it all the sweeter when you break 4hrs in Dublin:)

That's the best way to look at it. It's not very pleasant while it's happening, but you do learn an awful lot from the hard days, and it sounds like yesterday certainly was one. Look after yourself now!

The sub-4 is *definitely* there, and it will feel fantastic when you do it in Dublin :D

I was thinking of you yesterday during meltdown. It just made me realise what a terrific achievement Barcelona was for you.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great report, glad the experience hasn't scarred you so much and that you're going to get straight back on the horse for DCM. That's not what you said on sunday ;)

Ah, what did I know back then! I never really meant it anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done on your perseverence. Sounds like quite a bleak route and little support which I think makes it much harder. Especially when this wasn't your target race. On the bright side you have now completed multiple marathons. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Having so little support sounds like hell, fair play for getting through it. Mind yourself and enjoy the well earned rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done on completing- as a non marathon starter no less finisher I'm always amazed at how you crazy folk keep running for so long.
    Sounds like it was very tough mentally and despite this sounding like a platitude I'm sure completing the course (to me in what seems like a very respectable time) will stand you in good stead.

A bit of distance from this event will allow you some perspective but a number of things jump out at me
    It was always going to be difficult to get your head right for this race when you hadn't plannned for it, visualised it, thought about it, slogged through the training for this event. All your training had been centred around Cork and then you had to move gear. Also you lost a week of head space-that probably didn't help.
    The lonely roads were probably a killer- you seem to have done loads of your running in the big groups on a Saturday morning and that camraderie was not around in Newry, coupled with no crowds this race seems like a real head killer. I did a half in Longford/Roscommon last October and there were no spectators, I can't imagine the loneliness of that x2 for time and distance.
    Keep the head up, you've another marathon under your belt and this experience will actually move you closer to your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow, great report. I felt like having a little cry for you while reading. FAIR PLAY for getting to that finish line. I don't know if I'd have had the same perseverance or grit. Hearty congratulations on that!
    I know you were aiming for the sub 4, but 04:13 is nothing to be sneezed at - I'd take it :D

Enjoy the rest.
    Good luck with the next plan (Dublin I guess?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

jcsmum a very moving report... you did fantastic in such tough conditions. Fair play to you... total respect. well done

Advertisement