Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Wow thats some report K, really sums up the highs and lows of running.

Glad you're looking at it positively. DCM & the sub 4 pacers watch out! - there's a woman on a mission targeting you :)

Well done again on a great time and more importantly having the sheer determination to keep going and not give up. Honestly can't believe you walked and chatted to some marshalls and got that time. As Emer says, I'd take that too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on shifting everything a week early and refocussing on Newry at short notice. Pity you wont be making it to Cork.

Fair play on gettin 4:!3, even after some walking and a picnic with 4 marshels, considering the condition

Massive respect for already eyeing up DCM and building up the positive thinking.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nules10 wrote: »
    jcsmum a very moving report... you did fantastic in such tough conditions. Fair play to you... total respect. well done

or non-moving in my case! :D

I'm surprised I'm not turned off marathons for life. The opposite is true. I got an email this morning from active Ireland (I think) and the Dingle marathon is mentioned. I actually checked the calendar to see when it was :rolleyes: and thought about signing up for it (until I checked the price!)
    I really want to cancel out Newry with a successful marathon. I won't be happy until that's done.

Sports massage booked for Thursday. The legs are feeling okay, better than post DCM. I've no doubt I have knots everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm surprised I'm not turned off marathons for life. The opposite is true. I got an email this morning from active Ireland (I think) and the Dingle marathon is mentioned. I actually checked the calendar to see when it was :rolleyes: and thought about signing up for it (until I checked the price!)
    I really want to cancel out Newry with a successful marathon. I won't be happy until that's done.

Sports massage booked for Thursday. The legs are feeling okay, better than post DCM. I've no doubt I have knots everywhere.

Dingle is a real killer. The hills down there are much worse than connemara and it would also be very lonely. I would reccomend Portumna or Longford. Portumna is a 5k loop which sounds awful but it means there are always people around you and there will always be support near.
    Longford is lovely and flat and known as a great PB course if a little lonely.

Both Portumna and longford got great reviews in the events forum last year.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Dingle is a real killer. The hills down there are much worse than connemara and it would also be very lonely. I would reccomend Portumna or Longford. Portumna is a 5k loop which sounds awful but it means there are always people around you and there will always be support near.
    Longford is lovely and flat and known as a great PB course if a little lonely.

Both Portumna and longford got great reviews in the events forum last year.

A bit of advice needed. Would you think I'm better off aiming for a marathon sooner rather than later (Dublin)? I thought I should hold off for Dublin, but to be honest, I'm kinda itching to try another one.
    Won't be able to tell my friends/family though, they think I'm crazy enough as it is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

A bit of advice needed. Would you think I'm better off aiming for a marathon sooner rather than later (Dublin)? I thought I should hold off for Dublin, but to be honest, I'm kinda itching to try another one.
    Won't be able to tell my friends/family though, they think I'm crazy enough as it is. :rolleyes:

Can't help you on that but I just want to know how the burgers went down?:)

Don't take advice from me. I'm the guy who ran flat out in barcelona a week after a 50k race.

I would have told you to wait for Dublin but if you are keen to go for one sooner, both of the baove are way better options than Dingle..

mrslow wrote: »
    Can't help you on that but I just want to know how the burgers went down?:)

I actually ended up making meatballs. They went down very well thanks. I had my own recipe but I like to add ingredients from other recipes too. :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't take advice from me. I'm the guy who ran flat out in barcelona a week after a 50k race.

I would have told you to wait for Dublin but if you are keen to go for one sooner, both of the baove are way better options than Dingle..

Yeah I saw that Dingle was hilly (and I suspected lonely) - once bitten, twice shy.
    Portumna 5k laps. :eek: I hate laps.
    Maybe Longford. I'll have do to more research.
    I just wasn't disciplined on Sunday and I want to put that right. Dublin is too far away.
    (yes, I have a problem :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I actually ended up making meatballs. They went down very well thanks. I had my own recipe but I like to add ingredients from other recipes too. :)

You ba5tardised my recipe??? I'm deeply offended :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yeah I saw that Dingle was hilly (and I suspected lonely) - once bitten, twice shy.
    Maybe Longford. I'll have do to more research.
    I just wasn't disciplined on Sunday and I want to put that right. Dublin is too far away.
    (yes, I have a problem :o)

This all sounds so familiar from where I was after Dublin last year!

Is travelling for a race a possibility?

I know it sounds awful, but with the 50k and 100k running simultaneously the atmosphere will be great. Also you'll know exactly what to expect on every lap so pacing should be much easier.

This all sounds so familiar from where I was after Dublin last year!

Is travelling for a race a possibility?

Glad this insanity is 'normal'! No, travelling is not an option.
    I'll take a few days 'rest' & think about what I'm going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Reading the log it sounds like you thrive on the company when running- I'd be reluctant to run a lonely marathon if I were you.

Def take a few days out - have a good think about it and don't rush into anything. I was the same after Kildare a few weeks ago, I almost signed up to about 5 halfs in the hopes it would obliterate that crap race. The only reason I stopped was because I thought that if the next race went wrong too, not too sure how I would handle it...seen as I didn't handle Kildare very well :rolleyes:. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't and I now have a more realistic plan in place.

As it happens I looked into Longford half as it's meant to be a flat PB course but I did see lots of comments about the full being a lonely race. As WB says maybe that's not the best option for you. I know you're keen to get going again but there's no rush...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

After what you went through it sounds like you need an LSR group hug ;)... Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to unite the Saturday splitters, the Sunday splitters and the Kilometre splitters to that end......:D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    After what you went through it sounds like you need an LSR group hug ;)... Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to unite the Saturday splitters, the Sunday splitters and the Kilometre splitters to that end......:D

Yes, but I'll have to wait til Sunday's sunburn (neck and shoulders) goes away first. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yes, but I'll have to wait til Sunday's sunburn (neck and shoulders) goes away first. :rolleyes:

Are you now a sunburn splitter? :eek:

Are you now a sunburn splitter? :eek:

Em, did you not read my race report - I don't run ALONE. :p (I'm no splitter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Word of caution. Longford can be pretty lonely too...
    If you're looking for some support, the loop's race would be a good idea, otherwise hold off until Dublin? (if you can!)

Emer911 wrote: »
    Word of caution. Longford can be pretty lonely too...
    If you're looking for some support, the loop's race would be a good idea, otherwise hold off until Dublin? (if you can!)

I know! :) I think sense is kicking in a bit this morning. I think I'll save myself for Dublin.
    And well done on your 400 miles!

All on for meeting up with those Sun splitters...but dunno about those Kilometre splitters - not quite that open minded yet :D

Had my first sports massage yesterday evening (thanks for the recommendation N).
    Have to say, thought it would be a lot worse. I'm thinking of going out testing the legs after work this evening, but everything feels okay right now.

note to self, get massage before next marathon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

hi jcsmum, just wanted to say its the difficult races that make the truly great runners, the race is not always to the swift but to those who keep going.

your race report was excellent,
    babs

nachoqueen wrote: »
    hi jcsmum, just wanted to say its the difficult races that make the truly great runners, the race is not always to the swift but to those who keep going.

your race report was excellent,
    babs

Well hello there stranger! :) Good to hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

yep ive been busy but my back is fixed and Im eyeing up a half marathon maybe even a dcm ???:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sounds like a very tough race, sorry to hear it didn't go well. I'm sure you'd have run much better with more company on the way around, and without all the drama of having to change your plans at such short notice. Has to be Dublin for the next one!

Haven't much to post about really, have only done 1 run post massage. Ran 7 miles on Saturday, 9 min mile pace. It was fabulous, felt like I had a new pair of legs really.... :cool:

Must get back into the saddle again - Dunshaughlin is only around the corner. :eek:

Have been off-line for a while, so need to catch up on all the logs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Have you made a 'next step' decision yet? Are you going to hold off for Dublin or will there be a sneaky 26.2 miles in the interim?

What's your 10k pb by the way?! I'd like to be a little bit prepared mentally for the a5s whooping in Dunshaughlin!!

Advertisement