Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Give it socks tomorrow girl! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm racing this one vicariously through you. Sub-50 please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So the aim was sub 50 in Dunshauglin. Wasn't sure how this was going to play out at all. My running has been pretty non-existant since Newry and combined with the negativity of that day I wasn't sure if it was going to affect me.

Had enough time at the start to collect my number, say hello to all the boardsies... and headed to the start line.
    I was not prepared for that heat. I struggled until 4k. I had started too fast, I did my first mile in 7:20 and the second mile in 7:40 (I paid for that later!)

By 5k I had eased somewhat into it, but again at 7k I was struggling. I was absolutely exhausted. I did charge up the hill (it IS a hill!) and at the top of it, I nearly collapsed into the ditch. I avoided looking at the garmin, because as I was drinking from cups of water, I had to slow down and walk at this stage. :o

With about 1.5k to go, I checked my time and knew that the sub 50 was there for the taking. I put the head down and just went for it. The finish line was a welcome sight, boardsies shouting encouragement on the left, family on the right. Chip time 49:28 :D

I have never felt so exhausted crossing a finish line EVER. The steward at the finish line had to help me take the top off my water bottle. Once I joined the gang again, my breathing came back to normal :rolleyes:.

I am absolutely thrilled with my PB. I found the race really tough. Again, all the questions about my sanity/ability have resurfaced. I am completing all my race goals, the sub 4 marathon is the only one left. I know in my heart and soul that the times I am posting now are the best I can do. My training is not intense enough to knock much more time off them.
    To be honest I'm happy with that. I just want to enjoy running a bit more and concentrate less on the times and PBs.

(Yeah, I say that now..... who knows)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done K!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done, great stuff! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done jcsmum, I knew that sub50 would be a cert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Great way to bounce back from Newry, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done. Great time. Thrilled for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Great work, well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Woohoo sub 50 - go girl, that's brilliant :D. Thrilled for you and a great comeback performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done! Great time because, holy crap, it was tough out there (I'm such a wuss, i know!) :D

Fantastic running there on Saturday evening, those strawberries were well earned at the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats K, that's a great time given the heat, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done
    Great running all things considered
    Don't rule out the club entirely- there's a group that does long runs on Saturday mornings that might suit

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    there's a group that does long runs on Saturday mornings that might suit

She knows us already :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    She knows us already :P

:pac:

Headed to Marlay in the evening for a change of scenery. Didn't bring the garmin, did 2 laps (4 miles), I think about 9 min pace.
    First 2 miles were a bit ugh, second 2 much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Just catching up on your fab PB. Well done you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey missus, just wanted to say well done again on a savage PB. Absolutely delighted for you. And you looked as fresh as a daisy when I saw you at the finish - granted you'd had about an hour to recover by that stage! :D

claralara wrote: »
    Hey missus, just wanted to say well done again on a savage PB. Absolutely delighted for you. And you looked as fresh as a daisy when I saw you at the finish - granted you'd had about an hour to recover by that stage! :D

Oh pur-lease!!! :rolleyes: You should have seen me cross the finish line. Now there's a photo which could be used at Halloween!

• Advertisement

Due to time constraints (story of my life), I only managed 4 miles yesterday afternoon. Because the run was short, I did up the tempo. No garmin, so no idea of time, but I felt like I was fast ;)
    I'm liking this 'no garmin' phase!

On Friday, managed 5 nine minute miles.

Congrats on the 10K pb jcsmum, great running!

Saturday was officially a rest day before the Clontarf Half, although I did a 90 min walk around Marlay with 2 friends. Walking is so borrrr-ing!

Anyway, up bright and early on Sunday morning, probably a bit too early. I had a rubbish nights sleep and was not really prepared for running. We arrived in Clontarf before 8:30, picked up our number and did a bit of sunbathing before the race kicked off. The weather was glorious, obviously a bit hot for running, but who doesn't love a challenge :rolleyes:

My PB in Waterford was 1:52, so anything sub that would be great, but I wasn't going to put any pressure on myself. I have not enjoyed my last 2 races and I need to break that streak. I need to start enjoying this again.

I have no clue where I started, the start line was a bit of a free for all really.. think I was half way between the 1:45 and the 2hrs pacers. It was hot out there, but I was doing 8:30 pace and seemed pretty comfortable. I was running with some guy until the first water station, it passed the time for sure. He was aiming for a sub 2hr, so I felt I had more in me and I pushed on. Running on that soft sand wasn't easy, but it wasn't easy for anyone plus it was only for a short while. I forged on up the road from the beach and on to the prom again towards the half way point. It was distracting in a good way watching all the race leaders on their way back to base. Thanks to Digger for his shout out. I was in my zen like state by then. While the way back was definitely tougher, I never felt out of my depth or in pain or distress like I was in Newry or Dunshaughlin. I figured I would be sub 1:53 but not a second more! And I was right, by my watch it was 1:52:59, so am delighted with that. I needed a feel-good race to get my positivity flowing again. The half is definitely my favourite distance & a sub 1:50 is definitely on the cards.

Lovely to meet up with all the boardsies again.

jcsmum wrote: »
    The half is definitely my favourite distance & a sub 1:50 is definitely on the cards.

Nice work yesterday, good to see you feeling a bit more positive about things again. Sub-1:50 is definitely there this year for you :cool:

Well done K, you looked fine afterwards, there's definately more to come off of that time!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Well done K, you looked fine afterwards, there's definately more to come off of that time!

Thanks C, I felt that maybe I could have pushed it a bit more for the last few miles, but I was really enjoying it and I didn't want to jeopardise that. :cool:

Another great run! You are in great form by the sounds of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done on a great run on sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looked like an easy run for you. You didn't even look out of breath at the finish. Sub 1.50 at the Dublin Half?

Advertisement