Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

jcsmum wrote: »
    Got out of work early yesterday, so I got the opportunity for a longish run yesterday.
    9 miles at 8:58 pace. All good, was a bit tired but I rewarded myself with a Magnum classic when I got home. :cool:

Ah, a just reward for a long run.... I've the longing on me now for one of them, and it's only just gone 10:30 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

was a bit tired but I rewarded myself with a Magnum classic when I got home. :cool:

Now that's definitely too much information K :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Now that's definitely too much information K :eek:

What I do in the privacy of my own home........ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

What I do in the privacy of my own home........ :D

Nothing private about that creep peering in your window!

Very nice running there recently missus. You're getting speedier... I thought I would have caught up with you by now but it appears I'm going backwards! :(

Been hanging out around your neck of the Marlay woods a bit too - must keep my eyes peeled. Might head up for my recovery there this eve actually.

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Nothing private about that creep peering in your window!

Jebas... With friends like that......

claralara wrote: »
    Very nice running there recently missus. You're getting speedier... I thought I would have caught up with you by now but it appears I'm going backwards! :(

Been hanging out around your neck of the Marlay woods a bit too - must keep my eyes peeled. Might head up for my recovery there this eve actually.

If I get out of work early today, I'm headed there before I go home. I'm just planning on 5 miles this evening.

If I get out of work early today, I'm headed there before I go home. I'm just planning on 5 miles this evening.

I have 5 easy miles to take care of but not sure what time I'll get up - will probably be later than you though. Will keep my eyes peeled for you Gonzalez! :D

5 miles in Marlay Park and not one step further, pace of 8:42
    Not pleasant, was really tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Your flying. Keep up the good work. Are you following any midweek plan regarding the paces of your runs?

any target time for the 10 mile?

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Your flying. Keep up the good work. Are you following any midweek plan regarding the paces of your runs?

any target time for the 10 mile?

Nope, no midweek plan. My 10 mile PB from last year's race series is 1:28, so I'd be aiming for sub 1:25 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nope, no midweek plan. My 10 mile PB from last year's race series is 1:28, so I'd be aiming for sub 1:25 at least.

You should be aiming for between 80 and 82 mins imo. Don't sell yourself short.

You should be aiming for between 80 and 82 mins imo. Don't sell yourself short.

Why thank you Brian! :) To be honest I'm not that bothered about the 10 miler. I think 80 mins is a bit ambitious to be honest, but who knows. My whole focus is on the sub 4 marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A good 10 mile time can be a confidence boost - if you can stay close to 8 min/miles in the 10, then you can stay at 9 min/miles in the marathon. And you're well capable of doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    A good 10 mile time can be a confidence boost - if you can stay close to 8 min/miles in the 10, then you can stay at 9 min/miles in the marathon. And you're well capable of doing that.

+1, you'll have no bother getting your goal of sub 1'50 for the half, but that's about 8'20/mile. So you're likely to be closer to 8'10/mile for the 10 miler.

Friday, half day from work, so a lunch time run. It was very hot out and I struggled a bit with this. I did 8 miles 9:02 pace.

Saturday, 6 morning miles, didn't use the garmin which was nice.

This morning did over 6 miles, actually judging from mapmyrun it was 10k, in about 57 mins. Again no garmin by choice.

5 wet and windy miles in Marlay park yesterday after work. I've never seen the place so deserted. Pace of 8:39, time 43:16.
    I finished the run at the top of an incline and managed to sprint it - there was dry retching at the end. That is all. :cool::D

Really is great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

5 wet and windy miles in Marlay park yesterday after work. I've never seen the place so deserted. Pace of 8:39, time 43:16.
    I finished the run at the top of an incline and managed to sprint it - there was dry retching at the end. That is all. :cool::D

Doesn't count unless you hurl!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good going!

• Advertisement

5.5 miles yesterday after work, pace of 9:02. Pretty decent run, despite the rain. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great consistent training being done here jcsmum :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Great consistent training being done here jcsmum :)

Hey stranger, how goes the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Hey stranger, how goes the training?

Me? Not so good I'm afraid. Would love to be in the thick of marathon training like the rest of ye, but it was not to be this year.

You're getting great training in I see, Cork didn't take anything outa you!

RubyK wrote: »
    Me? Not so good I'm afraid. Would love to be in the thick of marathon training like the rest of ye, but it was not to be this year.

You're getting great training in I see, Cork didn't take anything outa you!

Sorry to hear that A, hopefully see you next year!

Away for a few days so running fairly patchy.

Met the guys in the park on Saturday for 20 miles. It was nice to run different stretches with different people, broke up the run and made for interesting conversation.
    Did the last 5 miles with Average Runner and Pistol, who were both doing 20. My God we seemed to fly around, at one stage I looked at the garmin at we were doing around 8:30 pace! :eek: But while I felt tired, I was able for it and delighted when we got back to the cars. Thanks guys!

Was away Sunday to Wednesday so running was not really on the agenda. Did manage one 4 miler, 8:40 pace.

This morning was up at 6:30, 4.5 miles around the block. Didn't bring the garmin but I felt strong and kinda wanted to run to last a bit longer.

Was pretty rested for the 10 miler on Saturday. I knew there was a head cold on the way, but luckily on Saturday morning, I felt good. The goal was sub 85 but more importantly to enjoy it. What a perfect morning too.

I started right up the front of the second wave, the lesser of two evils I thought. It meant that for the first 3/4 mile I had the road to myself. Probably started out a bit too fast - what's new?!? :rolleyes: Then the overtaking began and continued for the whole race. :) It was a tad annoying at the beginning, but when the crowds started to thin out, it was a definite confidence boost to overtake. My wobbliest mile was up the Chesterfield avenue. From mile 6- 9 everything was pretty good. I knew sub 85 was in the bag as my pace was pretty consistent. I knew I had to conserve a little bit of energy for the last mile. I thought the last mile would never end. The finish line seemed so far away. I did sprint the last few hundred meters which always raises the question in me 'could I have gone faster throughout the race?'

Garmin and chip time identical 1:23:44 Absolutely thrilled with that. :)
    No complaints about the race on the day. Was disappointed to miss Shaz on route. Could have done with a holler in the last stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great running there K well done. Sounds as if you really enjoyed. Hopefully catch up with you on Saturday for the long run

Nules10 wrote: »
    Great running there K well done. Sounds as if you really enjoyed. Hopefully catch up with you on Saturday for the long run

Yeah I should be there on Saturday. Hopefully my head cold will be gone by then. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was pretty rested for the 10 miler on Saturday. I knew there was a head cold on the way, but luckily on Saturday morning, I felt good. The goal was sub 85 but more importantly to enjoy it. What a perfect morning too.

I started right up the front of the second wave, the lesser of two evils I thought. It meant that for the first 3/4 mile I had the road to myself. Probably started out a bit too fast - what's new?!? :rolleyes: Then the overtaking began and continued for the whole race. :) It was a tad annoying at the beginning, but when the crowds started to thin out, it was a definite confidence boost to overtake. My wobbliest mile was up the Chesterfield avenue. From mile 6- 9 everything was pretty good. I knew sub 85 was in the bag as my pace was pretty consistent. I knew I had to conserve a little bit of energy for the last mile. I thought the last mile would never end. The finish line seemed so far away. I did sprint the last few hundred meters which always raises the question in me 'could I have gone faster throughout the race?'

Garmin and chip time identical 1:23:44 Absolutely thrilled with that. :)
    No complaints about the race on the day. Was disappointed to miss Shaz on route. Could have done with a holler in the last stretch.

Great running, for some reason I didn't think you were running on saturday so wasn't looking out for you :confused:

I'll be there on saturday for 10 miles or so BTW

Advertisement