Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice one jcsmum, well deserved :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done again K, great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats again K, great running yesterday, looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Congratulations! Wonderful time and achievement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done K. Thrilled for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Woot woot sub 4 in the bag, well done :D. Don't worry I won't hold you to the quote you're never doing a marathon again!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Great stuff on breaking the 4
    Well done!
    You must have passed me at Clonskeagh, I was at the 20 mile mark doing my best to encourage you crazy marathon folk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great going K, delighted for you. When i met you on the flyover with the Claralara express train, we were about 2 mins up on the balloons so you kept the gap all the way and finished strong from the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

chinguetti wrote: »
    Great going K, delighted for you. When i met you on the flyover with the Claralara express train, we were about 2 mins up on the balloons so you kept the gap all the way and finished strong from the looks of it.

I wouldn't say I finished strong, I nearly died on my feet but the sight of you and Mrs gazelle were enough to spur me on.
    Also you mentioned that lovely word 'pub'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Congratulations again K, sub 4 for you was never in doubt.

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Congratulations again K, sub 4 for you was never in doubt.

Thanks a mill, I know I said on Monday never again, but I've changed my mind already. Recovery has been great actually, I managed to drive to Kerry yesterday even with blisters and a black toe nail.
    Now off to read your race report....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, I know I said on Monday never again, but I've changed my mind already.
    Haha :D

What's next for you then?

Thanks a mill, I know I said on Monday never again, but I've changed my mind already.
    Haha :D

What's next for you then?

Waterford half. You?
    And thanks again for appearing with that tin of celebrations even if I did eat most of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again missus!! :D

Waterford half. You?
    And thanks again for appearing with that tin of celebrations even if I did eat most of them!!

Probably going to do a 5k in December just to see where I'm at, and target the Raheny 5 (if I don't break 40 this year I *will* cry, 40.13 and 40.30 in the last 2 years). Not sure after that, next marathon will most likely be DCM next year, won't be ready for one in the spring though I might do the half in Cork.

Glad you enjoyed the sweeties - well you *did* have something to celebrate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

haha, told you so :D

Btw where's your report? :)

menoscemo wrote: »

haha, told you so :D

Btw where's your report? :)

I wrote one yesterday but lost it. Will write it again tonight when the kids are in bed.

I wrote one yesterday but lost it. Will write it again tonight when the kids are in bed.

Funny thought I saw you in Mr Slow's log complaining about a lack of a report...pot kettle black and all that :D

Don't make it as long as CL's though, I used my quota of coffee for the day to get through that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

shazkea wrote: »

Don't make it as long as CL's though, I used my quota of coffee for the day to get through that ;)

Funny eh?! You were warned!

Coffee is bad for you anyway - It inhibits iron absorption! :p

Sneaks off to make 6th cup of coffee since lunchtime..:)

claralara wrote: »
    *fingers in ears* La la la not listening :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Had a whole race report written but lost it on this damn phone. Will write it again later.
    Chip time 3'58'05
    Delighted.

Congrats again on an amazing time. It was lovely meeting you properly in the pub. Hope the legs are recovering well

claralara wrote: »

What about Red Bull ;)

It's all caffeine, unfortunately. Cutting down on Coke Zero hurt :(

It's all caffeine, unfortunately. Cutting down on Coke Zero hurt :(

No Coke Zero, seriously :eek::eek::eek:. I'd give up running before I'd give up my coke zero. Respect for giving that up

I'm back on it now, could only give it up for about 4-5 weeks :(

I did write up a second race report but lost that also on the iphone.... I swear, honest..... am now on a laptop, but this will be the condensed version, 15 minutes to Downton Abbey!!

Preparation for DCM
    My preparation was less than what I would have liked. I had chunks of weeks with no running, but I always felt that a sub 4 would be there for the taking for me. I felt good physically beforehand and had got some nice long runs in during Sept/Oct. Also the PB in the half was a great confidence booster.

First half
    Positioned myself in front of the 4 hour pacers and just hoped and prayed that they would stay behind me. Same strategy for the half. To be honest I was feeling very warm for the first few miles, a bit sluggish too. My mile pace was hovering around 8:50-9:00 and I couldn't seem to rein myself in. I was having flashbacks of Newry and there was no way I was having that. My pace seemed to settle after 10 miles or so. I passed the half sub 1:58 by my garmin. I was also conscious that my garmin beeped well before each mile marker.... another thing to take note off as every second counts.

Second half
    I remember this half being much more enjoyable for me last year, althought the first half was good too. The family were camped out at Bushy park. Hubby said I looked very comfortable. Not so, I was feeling the tiredness from then on..... every mile, I was getting more and more tired. The pace was dropping too, up to 9:10-9:20 - hopefully I had gained enough seconds in the first half to not make this an issue. And there was no way I was looking around for black balloons. I had a friend at the Dropping Well and family at Milltown. I thought the final hill before Fosters Avenue would never come, that stretch seemed endless. Another friend on the avenue. He said to dig in, that sub 4 was in the bag. I told him I was tired, he said 'you're supposed to be'. I thought the downhill and flat stretch all the way home would be satisfying in some way, nope..... I was experiencing such fatigue. Mrs Gazelle and Matt passed me at the UCD flyover and I felt like I was a snail plodding along compared to them. But there was no way I was giving up. Mile after mile..... I just put the head down and kept going. so many casulties along the way. I was never so happy to see the finish line. Chip time 3:58:05 (garmin read 26.42, as if 26.2 wasn't long enough!! :rolleyes:

Post race thoughts
    During the last few miles and at the finish line, I never felt so tired. I said 'never again'. I had to take 5 mins at the barrier at the finish line to close my eyes and just stand still. A steward offered to walk me up to get my medal and he apologised but he would have to move me along. I was so emotional and drained until I got to McGrattens that I felt like I was an extra in The Walking Dead

It's now nearly a week later and for the past few days I've been analysing. I am definitely doing another marathon, maybe Cork next year. I have lots to work on, I need new shoes, I need to experiment with more gels, I need to follow a tougher plan (maybe, that's up for discussion!). I think I can do sub 3'55 or sub 3'50.
    I know this sounds very ungrateful but I'm not as euphoric as I thought I would be about the sub 4. Yes, I am delighted and it is a great achievement but I know there is more in me.

I have had 2 runs since DCM, a 3 and a 4 miler, both fine. I actually felt I could have gone out running on Wednesday I was so recovered!
    Next on the agenda is the Waterford half. PB is 1:48:24. Not sure if I can do any better than that at this point to be honest.... but I'll give it a try. :)

I think I can do sub 3'55 or sub 3'50.
    I know this sounds very ungrateful but I'm not as euphoric as I thought I would be about the sub 4. Yes, I am delighted and it is a great achievement but I know there is more in me.

I know exactly how you feel, see below! ;)
    It's the bitter taste of unfinished business.
    Bottle it.
    Keep it safe.
    Unleash it for your next marathon.

Another 4 miler on Monday night, upped the pace a little bit on this too.... just to see if I could! :rolleyes::) Everything felt pretty good. I have a lovely black toe/toe nail from DCM - the kids love it. I'm so hardcore! :cool:

Another 4 miler on Monday night, upped the pace a little bit on this too.... just to see if I could! :rolleyes::) Everything felt pretty good. I have a lovely black toe/toe nail from DCM - the kids love it. I'm so hardcore! :cool:

I have half remove the nail from my left big toe, I'll let the raw flesh desensitize before I hack off the rest! :eek:

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I have half remove the nail from my left big toe, I'll let the raw flesh desensitize before I hack off the rest! :eek:

Charming

Advertisement