Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah thanks, am actually really looking forward to it despite the threat of wind and rain. Am also googling things to do in Waterford for the Sunday. The coppercoast geopark looks nice. We have a little boy who loves the sea! :)

You should definitely head out around the coppercoast, lovely scenic drive. Also, in Fenor, there is a mini-farm that I bet your little fella would love. http://www.familyfriendly.ireland.ie/Search-Results/Details.aspx?touristItemID=12421

Just down the road from the farm is a new playground that is supposed to be really good for kids, and just across the road is Mother McHughs pub, that has a lovely new restaurant called the Copper Hen, which has gotten very good reviews. It's open for Sunday lunch 1-5pm afaik.

If you all like swimming, maybe you could go to Splashworld in Tramore.

Hope you have a great weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

How is the new job in the South East tourism board going for you A?;)

Ah thanks, am actually really looking forward to it despite the threat of wind and rain. Am also googling things to do in Waterford for the Sunday. The coppercoast geopark looks nice. We have a little boy who loves the sea! :)

The more wind + rain + unfavourable conditions, the more endorphins and that sense of being hardcore while everyone else is sleeping off the night before. Have a great race.

mrslow wrote: »
    How is the new job in the South East tourism board going for you A?;)

:D Are my suggestions for family activities tempting you?? It's not too late for you to sign up to the half, leaving plenty of time to sample some of the delights of the notso sunny Southeast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RubyK wrote: »
    :D Are my suggestions for family activities tempting you?? It's not too late for you to sign up to the half, leaving plenty of time to sample some of the delights of the notso sunny Southeast!

I can practically guarantee you it is sunnier than Paris has been this week! I closely resembled a drowned rat after my run yesterday morning.

• Advertisement

I can practically guarantee you it is sunnier than Paris has been this week! I closely resembled a drowned rat after my run yesterday morning.

That'll be great practice for Saturday rk! It's set to be a rain-fest down here ;)

Not so subtle na na na na na 'I'm in Paris' fest10.gif

mrslow wrote: »
    Not so subtle na na na na na 'I'm in Paris' fest10.gif

Nothing as depressing as being here and checking up the times for a bus from Dublin Airport back to Tallaght on Friday evening...

Nothing as depressing as being here and checking up the times for a bus from Dublin Airport back to Tallaght on Friday evening...

Enjoy today then, take buses tomorrow!

Bring me back something small and expensive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You should definitely head out around the coppercoast, lovely scenic drive. Also, in Fenor, there is a mini-farm that I bet your little fella would love. http://www.familyfriendly.ireland.ie/Search-Results/Details.aspx?touristItemID=12421

Just down the road from the farm is a new playground that is supposed to be really good for kids, and just across the road is Mother McHughs pub, that has a lovely new restaurant called the Copper Hen, which has gotten very good reviews. It's open for Sunday lunch 1-5pm afaik.

If you all like swimming, maybe you could go to Splashworld in Tramore.

Hope you have a great weekend :)

That sounds lovely Ruby, thanks. I'll report back on Monday! :) (and I don't mean just on the race!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

There is....Living here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck tomorrow and I'm sure you'll be well gone by the time I finish so have a great weekend :)

I'd love to do it but alas Saturdays are not mine to play with :(

shazkea wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow and I'm sure you'll be well gone by the time I finish so have a great weekend :)

We'll see! ;):) One never knows!
    I'm heading to Waterford this evening and back to Dublin on Sunday, what about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

We'll see! ;):) One never knows!
    I'm heading to Waterford this evening and back to Dublin on Sunday, what about yourself?

Bset of luck tomorrow. I have no doubt you'll smash your Dublin time.

''Go Jack's Mum''................;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

digger2d2 wrote: »
    ''Go Jack's Mum''................;)

+1, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck

Good Luck missus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done yesterday, great running out of you :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Well done yesterday, great running out of you :)

+1, that was an absolutely savage run for you yesterday :D

Firstly thanks for all the good wishes on my log before the race - I only got to read them yesterday!

We headed to Waterford on Friday after work. Woke up on Saturday morning to wind and rain, as expected. My last half time was 1.56.58, so was originally hoping for anything better than that. Then on the day, factoring in the weather, I figured a sub 2hour would be great. Didn't put too much pressure on myself, was just out to enjoy it as much as I could.

At the start couldn't see an offical start line, so delayed in putting on the garmin - was a bit out of sync with the mile markers all the way around. Was on the start line, wishing I had taken another trip to the loo, felt my bladder was a bit full - that bothered me for the first few miles. :rolleyes: Headed off up into Waterford city, no great wind to face yet. Then we approached the road out to Tramore. Hello wind :D It wasn't a constant wind as such, but at several times a bit gust would nearly knock you over. I tried to stay behind tall guys but mostly they were too fast and scampered off into the distance. I thought we would never reach Tramore or the start of the loop and I kept looking out for the race leader on his way back to base. The sooner I saw him, the sooner we would reach the loop and be heading back.
    So finally we veered off the main road and uphill, wind firmly in our faces. A short downhill, uphill downhill, round bends - the stewards kindly reminding us that in a few mins we would have the wind in our backs and it would blow us back to Waterford. They were the longest few minute EVER. Finally we rounded the bend, down a hill, eyes semi closed due to rain and wind and back on to the main road, wind at my back, heading home......

Whatever was in me that day, I felt that the wind might have goaded me on, made me more resilient, toughened me up. I felt I had nothing to lose. Mile 9, 10 and 11... I began to overtake...... one person at a time, this was a hugh boost mentally. Mile 12, nearly there. I was never so happy to see a superquinn or a woodies sign in my entire life. Round the final bend into the wind towards the race HQ. A car hooted, the family were camped out at the entrance of the sports stadium waiting for me to run by. This was no time for pleasantries!! Quick wave and then on to the track. It only took one foot on the soft spongy track for me to up it a little bit more and I just went for it. I sprinted for home, overtaking a few on the way. Official time 1:52:28
    Absolutely chuffed to bits.

Delighted to meet up with the gang for a well deserved drink afterwards. That race has really rocketed my confidence and self belief. A happy camper this morning. :D:cool:

Just saw your report! Brilliant running! Well done!!

Oh forgot to add, I did a 6 mile recovery run last night. Was a bit dubious about doing one as I felt my leg muscles were a bit tight. Was glad I did it in the end, but I went too fast. A bit stupid of me really - what was the need for speed? :rolleyes: 6 miles 55 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Wow, what a cracking run; thrilled for you :D.

Turning that corner on to the main road again to head home was brilliant. I did curse that Woodies green roof near home as it seemed to close but yet so far and I was bursting!!

I've some work to do missus, you beat my time from the Adidas half, well done;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great run jcsmum, well done!

That's a fantastic time......Well done!!:)

Great time - sets you up nicely for a sub-4 full later this year :D

• Advertisement

Great time - sets you up nicely for a sub-4 full later this year :D

They'll be all looking for the secret banana now......:D

Advertisement