Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

I got a cold a few days before Dublin last year K and it did me no harm. If anything it's good in a way coz it makes you slow down and not attempt anything crazy like a Friday 20 miler. I'm excited for you already coz I know you can do great things in this race all going well. Bring it on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck this weekend not that you'll need it, all the training has been done so enjoy the run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Best of luck, hope it goes really well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thanks everybody for the good wishes. Well, did the final run this morning 3 miles at 8'35 pace. Had intended this to be a nice slow one, but after a sluggish first mile at 9'20, I paniced a bit and decided to see if the legs really have marathon pace in them. Turns out they do, hopefully they'll oblige on Sunday and give me 26.2 of them!

I'm under no illusion as to the task ahead but I'm really trying to stay positive and confident. Limerick was always going to be my 'test' marathon for Dublin so I'm just going to go for it and if it doesn't work out, I'll try again in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck with it. Sorry I won't be there to roar you on but I'm sure you dont need my encouragement :D. Most of all please enjoy it and finish with a smile on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very, very best of luck with it. You've worked hard and you're in great shape and you will do really well. As Shaz says, most of all, enjoy it.
    Keep smiling and everything else will fall into place:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck on Sunday K, will I bring the Celebrations again this time? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I am so so glad that those blasphemous words you uttered in McGrattans last October ("never again…") were nothing more than a momentary, glycogen-depleted, slip-of-the-tongue. Your training for Limerick has been fantastic. Your dedication to the marathon, illustrated by the early morning runs and the few lonely LLSRs, will pay off. I am certain that that you will have the absolutely amazing run that you deserve. Banish any marathon negativity that may be lingering and just enjoy it! You know it's in your hands. The very very best of luck on Sunday, I'll be thinking of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Go smash it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. Sorry I won't be there to roar you on but I'm sure you dont need my encouragement :D. Most of all please enjoy it and finish with a smile on your face.

WHAT???:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Give it socks K. I'll be somewhere along the way shouting you on with a box of nearly finished Celebrations in tow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Mr Slow wrote: »
    WHAT???:mad:

Damm work getting in the way of my social like again :rolleyes:...specifically a flight to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    Damm work getting in the way of my social like again :rolleyes:...specifically a flight to the US.

Ah Shaz :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck on Sunday K. I know its going to be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Have a great run on Sunday, hope you get the rewards for all your hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

GIVE me a J.... J.... Give me a C.... C.... give me an S...S.... give me a..... oh you get the jist :D. I will be doing my cheering on from Dublin. You will do great K. Really Really can't wait for the report ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Nules10 wrote: »
    GIVE me a J.... J.... Give me a C.... C.... give me an S...S.... give me a..... oh you get the jist :D. I will be doing my cheering on from Dublin. You will do great K. Really Really can't wait for the report ;);)

+1 Exactly what she said, go for it K, hope you have a great race. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck! Hopefully catch up with you after the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Best of luck, hope you enjoy the day, remember you but the effort in now it time for the reward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck K hope you have a great day and get the reward you deserve for all your great training.

• Advertisement

Garmin reads 26.4 miles in 3'46 pace 8'35.

Even though I missed out I'm thrilled. Tough course. Race report to follow when I'm more 'together'.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

great running :) well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done, thats a fantastic time!! i hope you're pleased, enjoy the post marathon party!!!;)

whooo hooo. well done K. Now i hope you are working on that report and not planning on going out celebrating ;) have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Well done, sounds like it went close to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant running in Limerick jcsmum!! Congrats on a great pb :)

Great Limerick Run race report

My marathon PB is 3:58 from DCM last year where I felt I had way more in me so my goal for yesterday was a sub 3:45. Training went very well, confidence was good, all systems go. Woke up to a lovely morning in Limerick, a minute walk to the start line, a quick hello to Mr Slow and off we went 6 mins later. None of the mayhem of Dublin. Decided to use my strategy of staying a slight bit ahead of the pacer, which is what I manged to do until mile 22 :rolleyes:. I started running with another lady after a mile or two and we kept each other company until mile 18 when I let her go on. She had run Limerick before and she was scaring me a bit about the last 6 miles. It was great to have company though because the field is small enough. I'm not very good at remembering specifics about miles, but in general miles 1-13 were great (out and back from the city to UL)
    Practically danced over the half way mat, big shouts to the family and pud's owner at this point. Things were feeling pretty good.

Miles 14-18 were partly out some country roads which was lacking in support a bit. I think it was between mile 17 and 18 there was a smallish but sharp incline up a bridge. I attacked this hill but this is when my relationship with my legs broke down. It's like they said 'WTF was that' and from then on, they became more and more defiant! I could have throttled the supporter who shouted out at mile 18, 'only 8 miles to go'. Grrrrrr. Not helping. I kept saying '8 miles, sure what's that, you'd eat 8 miles for breakfast!'

Mile 18-home were absolutely dreadful. I can't really describe them, but I felt that I was in a different world from my legs, no will power, no words of motivation, no cheers from the crowd - nothing would make them move at times. The family were at mile 21 and hubby said the difference in me from mile 13 to then was huge. The sight and sound of the 3:45 pacer and his band of hangers-on creeping up behind me and overtaking at mile 22 was so deflating. Now if I could just keep them in my sights, I'd be okay. Only 4 miles to go..... 4 miles.... Yeah, I can see the green balloons, yep still there, yeah I can just about make them out..... oh oh going going GONE. :( I knew in my heart of hearts I just wasn't going to make it. It required more effort that I was able to give. Now my mission was just to keep going. With 2 miles to go, 2 guys who had finished the marathon and were heading home presumably saw me struggling and offered to run with me which they did. The awful thing was that when I ground to a halt on a few occassions, I was really weak. I had taken water on at all the stations, I had taken enough gels, but with the pace I was undertaking and the sun and very little shade, I was struggling big time. I am embarrassed to say that at the bend before the finish line, my legs stopped again. The whole crowd went crazy urging me on and after a few seconds when I surged forward again, it was like I was going for gold in the Olympics. I have no idea how I got the finish line after that. Hubby has photos of me and they aint pretty! :o

I fell over the line and into the arms of the St John's ambulance guy. I was absolutely exhausted, drained but exhilerated to have completed the race. I had to go to the first aid tent for a while after as I was quite weak and I really didn't want to face the family in that condition.
    I have no complaints about the day, I found the race very tough especially the last 6 miles. I'm not sure it's a race I would do again. I thought the organisation was great, the support on route, the personalised race numbers, the care I got at the finish line - brilliant.
    Thanks to Matt for all the shout outs at half way, mile 22 and again at the finish. I did go from all chat at mile 13, to mouthing obscenities at mile 22 and then zombie mode at the finish line. When all is said and done, I'm delighted with my performance, I averaged 8:35 pace all the way round and to get a 12 min PB aint too shabby! Oh and I get to apply for London! My official time is 3:46 and I was the 15th female to finish.
    Enjoyed the pub aswell last night. Onwards and upwards, like I said before I'll try again in Dublin.
    I'm sure there's lots more I've forgotten but this will have to do for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done K. Great run and time that your training deserved.

Was talking to a couple of locals that did it last night as well and they said the last 6 miles were tough alright.

Well done k. Great stuff. Those last few miles sounded awful. When do we get to see the pics ;) nice report too A+ ;)

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    Well done k. Great stuff. Those last few miles sounded awful. When do we get to see the pics ;) nice report too A+ ;)

I thought you were coming on to say that it wasn't long enough. The photos are quiet funny will put them up later.

Advertisement