Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Right So

jcsmum wrote: »
    St. Cocoas 5k garmin time 21'55

As we have 'sign up to all races' syndrome, my racing partner Ro and I headed down to Kilcock yesterday pm for this one. My PB is 21'15 so was hoping for a sub 21.

Met a lot of familiar faces down there, we're all very secretive :) After a quick registration and warm up, lined up and off we went. I didn't have any pressure on me or any nerves. Maybe I should have. From the start to the finish, it was like I wasn't even trying. I was running but there was no urgency or determination. I pulled up for a few seconds at one stage, thought I was going to be sick, that was all in my mind. The legs weren't hurting, my breathing was pretty normal. It was like I didn't 'engage'. Even in the last k I ran behind a group which I eventually overtook but was happy to run behind them (eavesdropping!) for a few minutes. Absolutely no competitive edge to be found.

Disappointing performance really, but I have signed up for the 5k in Navan on Wed. That might be better....or worse. We'll see.

Ah - go easy on yourself :)- that Kilcock course is not really a PB course because of that rotten hill we have. But if you really wanted to do a good under 21 - either Johnstown near Enfield or Kinnegad next year (just a little bit further down the N4) - Both of these races brilliant PB flat courses - thats where I got under 30 mins and I would never get that in Kilcock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd enjoy pacing ;)

I must be a mind reader, congarts on the appointment to your first pacing gig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sounds like you'd enjoy pacing ;)

I must be a mind reader, congarts on the appointment to your first pacing gig :D

A deja vu moment you mean....
    We actually had a conversation about this in Cork. :)

:o
    As a former poker player I'll say I remembered that conversation and just didn't know you had followed through :D Do you believe me?

:o
    As a former poker player I'll say I remembered that conversation and just didn't know you had followed through :D Do you believe me?

No I mean we talked about pacing in general and you recommended it and mentioned something about getting me a pacing gig in the midlands half
    I see that ship has sailed :)

• Advertisement

No I mean we talked about pacing in general and you recommended it and mentioned something about getting me a pacing gig in the midlands half
    I see that ship has sailed :)

You can be first sub :D
    (I actually have had all the slots already full since April, that must have slipped my mind in Cork :o)

I have heard that Oylegate is a nice lowkey debut pacing-race and Izoard is an old hand at the pacing so you will be in good company. Enjoy.

No worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I have heard that Oylegate is a nice lowkey debut pacing-race and Izoard is an old hand at the pacing so you will be in good company. Enjoy.

That might depend on the pacees :P

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

I can be a very demanding pacee. For a start....I will expect all hills to be flattened out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As the Midlands was a good pacing gig last year. You have to bribe Meno to get his gigs. Those flowers cost me a fortune:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    As the Midlands was a good pacing gig last year. You have to bribe Meno to get his gigs. Those flowers cost me a fortune:D

I'm not going to begin to tell you what i had to do to get that gig 8-/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oi sunflowerseeds, what the hell was that this morning? Runs by HER club session with her headphones in and dashes off.

The CHEEK.

Also, K, how come you haven't been to any of our club sessions yet?

Oi sunflowerseeds, what the hell was that this morning? Runs by HER club session with her headphones in and dashes off.

The CHEEK.

Also, K, how come you haven't been to any of our club sessions yet?

Sunflowerseeds :)
    Who said I was joining DH? Not I. Sorry I disobeyed your commands your majesty. Is that why you're called Racoon QUEEN?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry Queenie, green and yellow beats black and white any day :pac:

Oi sunflowerseeds, what the hell was that this morning? Runs by HER club session with her headphones in and dashes off

I got a panic attack when i saw the hills! Ah no, had to leave for Roscommon for football supporting duties at 11 so early run for me this morning. How were the hills?!:D

Sunflowerseeds :)
    Who said I was joining DH? Not I. Sorry I disobeyed your commands your majesty. Is that why you're called Racoon QUEEN?

Ummm I did. :mad:
    I got a panic attack when i saw the hills! Ah no, had to leave for Roscommon for football supporting duties at 11 so early run for me this morning. How were the hills?!:D

Jesus. :(

She knows that black and white are SO her colours RQ. I'm slowly chipping away at her!

Yeah hills are tough and there was a decent enough breeze there this morning I noticed. I did contemplate doing a few hills reps by myself at 9....but I'm not totally insane :eek:

They were horrible reps. 1000 metres apparently. When Jim tells you they're a certain length you usually need to add 200 metres or so onto it. Just short of 1250m in reality.

Did I mention they were horrible? I had to dash off after 4 of them for an appointment. Thank God.

I guess I should update the log a little bit. I'm ticking away with my running and am abstaining from races for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to introduce some speedwork into my runs and some HMP and MP miles. Luckily this pace isn't an issue. I'm up to 16.5 miles for my Lsr. I also passed the 1,000 mile mark on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I guess I should update the log a little bit. I'm ticking away with my running and am abstaining from races for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to introduce some speedwork into my runs and some HMP and MP miles. Luckily this pace isn't an issue. I'm up to 16.5 miles for my Lsr. I also passed the 1,000 mile mark on Sunday!

Epic reporting :p. Congrats on the 1000 mile mark :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Woo hoo! Super congrats on passing the 1,000 mile marker!

And well done on the no-racing ban also, I'm also staying strong.:D

But if you do feel like a low key race, there's an internal club race on the 10th of August around 7pm. (Mainly an excuse for eating and drinking a lot afterwards) PM me for details...

RayCun wrote: »
    But if you do feel like a low key race, there's an internal club race on the 10th of August around 7pm. (Mainly an excuse for eating and drinking a lot afterwards) PM me for details...

But surely that's for club member only?
    Oh wait.....:eek:

But surely that's for club member only?
    Oh wait.....:eek:

All going well, I should be a member by this evening :)

:D

You win this round Ray.......:(

You win this round Ray.......:(

Absolutely loved the club session :)

:confused::mad: Must have been too easy so, will fix that for next week :mad:

:confused::mad: Must have been too easy so, will fix that for next week :mad:

Actually P said it was going to be an easy enough session at the beginning. And it was.
    Looking forward to next week Ray, bring it ON!

• Advertisement

What did you do?

Advertisement