Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RayCun wrote: »
    Are you running with Ingrid? She's thinking of doing DCM this year, you'll have to pass on all your tips

Yeah it was Ingrid I was running with. She doesn't need any tips, she's brilliant!

Back to school, creche, work, routine this morning, so begins all my early morning runs again..... and probably some more regular posting.

Saturday morning headed out for a slow one in preparation for the LSR on Sunday. 7 nice handy miles at 9 min mile pace.

Sunday, headed to the park for 8.15 and got into a nice 8.30 pace. Looped back to the car park at 9, hung around for a few mins and headed off again when nobody showed. Did a 3 mile loop and back to the car park again to meet Mr Slow. We covered most of the half race series run. Didn't look at the garmin at all, we were just chatting away and before we knew it, it was 21.25 on the garmin for me. Pace was 8.30. :)

4 recovery miles early this morning, pace 9.19.

Club hill session up in Stocking lane last night. Ran over to the meeting spot, then up to the hill. Did 5 reps, roughly 500m each, back to the meeting spot and then home. Over 8 miles covered.
    While this was a tough session, I much prefer running on the paths than on grass. Thankfully the legs had recovered from Sunday's 21 miler - that's always a bonus.

A nice early morning 4 miler today, pace 8:40 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're in flying form at the moment missus. Gonna smash that marathon time - whats your target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »
    You're in flying form at the moment missus. Gonna smash that marathon time - whats your target?

+1 - I was just popping in with the very same sentiment and enquiry! :)

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    claralara wrote: »
    +1 - I was just popping in with the very same sentiment and enquiry! :)

A PB would do very nicely. Third time lucky with the sub 3:45 goal. Everything is going really well at the moment, but after the disasters in Limerick and Cork am too afraid to say anything or count on anything.
    It will all depend on the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Your training is going better than mine and I'm still going for 3.30 :)

3.45 is too soft for you - 3.3* maybe ?

Your training is going better than mine and I'm still going for 3.30 :)

3.45 is too soft for you - 3.3* maybe ?

Maybe I'm being cagey, but I seem to lose it at the end of marathons, so I can't (or won't) commit to a time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being cagey, but I seem to lose it at the end of marathons, so I can't (or won't) commit to a time. :o

You were on the edge in Limerick and it was very hot, Cork was three weeks later and also very hot. You ran 21 miles @ 3:45 pace last week and finished very strong but none of this matters, you've had two marathons with a disappointing finish (ie you were disappointed:)) run DCM conservatively but I guarantee you'll kick on in the last 10k or so for a massive pb.

Club session last night. After a warm up, we did 2x 20 min tempo runs around the fields. This was a bit like an obstacle course with dodging other runners, bushes, nettles, briars, spectators at a football match. I did the first one at around 8 min pace, but decided to up this for the second one. Really enjoyed this session, so glad I joined the club.
    I'm getting to know people and what people I'm close in pace to, so while I don't compete with others, I know where I should be in sessions and also where I'm trying to get to! :)

6 miles covered in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I can put money on a conversation we'll have after DCM :p. It will go something like this...

Post marathon...
    Me: How did you get on/How was it
    jcsmum: Shaz, I'm never doing another marathon again, it was awful

Fast forward 2 weeks later when we next meet up for a run...

jscmum: I've signed up for X marathon so I'm thinking of doing 20 miles today
    Me: I thought you were never running one again :confused:
    jcsmum: I never said that

:D:D

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: 17 mile LSR
    Started at 8.30am, did 7 miles between 8.00-8.10 pace before meeting up with MrSlow. I knew he was a bit under the weather and we had agreed to do 9 min miles (hence my 7 quick ones!!). Got 3 miles in before we met Chinquetti. After a few miles the now very sensible MrSlow abandoned ship as he was not feeling well. Chinquetti and I carried on at a nice comfortable pace, got me back to the car near 17 miles. A lap or two of the carpark saw me right. ;)

Sunday: 7 mile 'recovery' run. I'm not sure I can call this recovery as it was quicker than that. 8.20 pace

Monday: 4.5 early morning miles. 8.10 pace.

I can put money on a conversation we'll have after DCM :p. It will go something like this...

Post marathon...
    Me: How did you get on/How was it
    jcsmum: Shaz, I'm never doing another marathon again, it was awful

Fast forward 2 weeks later when we next meet up for a run...

jscmum: I've signed up for X marathon so I'm thinking of doing 20 miles today
    Me: I thought you were never running one again :confused:
    jcsmum: I never said that

:D:D

Talk about twisting my words! :p:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: 17 mile LSR
    Started at 8.30am, did 7 miles between 8.00-8.10 pace before meeting up with MrSlow. I knew he was a bit under the weather and we had agreed to do 9 min miles (hence my 7 quick ones!!). Got 3 miles in before we met Chinquetti. After a few miles the now very sensible MrSlow abandoned ship as he was not feeling well. Chinquetti and I carried on at a nice comfortable pace, got me back to the car near 17 miles. A lap or two of the carpark saw me right. ;)

Sunday: 7 mile 'recovery' run. I'm not sure I can call this recovery as it was quicker than that. 8.20 pace

Monday: 4.5 early morning miles. 8.10 pace.

You doing the half this week?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    You doing the half this week?

yeah. You?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

yeah. You?

Yep I'll be there alright. anything for a tee shirt and goody bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great training jcsmum, best of luck on Saturday! You'll fly it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Havent read your log in yonks. You are absolutely flying. My legs are tired just reading your log. Fair play!!!

Havent read your log in yonks. You are absolutely flying. My legs are tired just reading your log. Fair play!!!

Oh she's back, how's the land of pasta and gondolas?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Talk about twisting my words! :p:o

Call it poetic licence :D.

Well done on another cracking week of training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Oh she's back, how's the land of pasta and gondolas?

Ciao Mr.S. I've turned into a pizza. I just need someone to roll me around my next race. Is it true you are not pacing DCM? Was it coz I pulled out?

Ciao Mr.S. I've turned into a pizza. I just need someone to roll me around my next race. Is it true you are not pacing DCM? Was it coz I pulled out?

That was the only reason, I just didn't see the point ifykwim :pac:

Club fartlek session last night. First evening I've actually felt cold before, during and AFTER a run. 6 miles covered in total.
    650m warm up. 1 mile at pace, 3 min jog, 1k at pace, jog, 1k at pace, jog, 650m, jog, 400m, jog, 400m, jog, 650m, jog, 1k at pace and warm down. (think I got all that right).
    This was pretty tough but happy that I managed it all. It helped that another of the girls there was going my pace so we did most of the session together.
    We were supposed to do a mile at pace at the end but it was abandoned. I would have been happy to do it which is positive.

Also got my club singlet which I will be wearing with pride on Saturday. :cool:
    (Thanks Ray!)

4 miles this morning at 8.30 pace. The long sleeves are back

Nice work jcsmum! Club sessions sound like are going great. Well wear with the singlet :)

Also got my club singlet which I will be wearing with pride on Saturday. :cool:
    (Thanks Ray!)

4 miles this morning at 8.30 pace. The long sleeves are back

:confused:

RubyK wrote: »
    Nice work jcsmum! Club sessions sound like are going great. Well wear with the singlet :)

What hotel did you decide on A?

What hotel did you decide on A?

Neither Mr Slow, I was under the weather last week, and my training slipped, so I'm not going to do the half, I'll stick to a LSR this weekend instead :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Neither Mr Slow, I was under the weather last week, and my training slipped, so I'm not going to do the half, I'll stick to a LSR this weekend instead :)

Sorry to hear that.

The long sleeves are back
    :confused:

Not everthing I say is cryptic. I was running at 6.30 this morning. It was cold. That is all. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks Mr Slow, a bit disappointed, but sure it's only a minor blip in the plan ;)

I'm sorry to read you are still not 100%, roll on a quick recovery and plenty of pb's in 2013.

Advertisement