Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

jcsmum wrote: »
    Not everthing I say is cryptic. I was running at 6.30 this morning. It was cold. That is all. :rolleyes:

It's been freezing the last couple of mornings. I've been wrapped up like an onion bringing the dog out for a walk at 6.30am.

Fair play to you for getting back into the early runs, though it's such a nice feeling having training done and dusted before breakfast time (the very few times I've managed it ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Was that you I saw at 6.45 am running whilst reading a copy of 50 Shades? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Was that you I saw at 6.45 am running whilst reading a copy of 50 Shades? ;)

Oh, so many ways to reply here......and none of them particularly polite :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks Mr Slow, a bit disappointed, but sure it's only a minor blip in the plan ;)

I'm sorry to read you are still not 10%, roll on a quick recovery and plenty of pb's in 2013.

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Good luck tomorrow missus. You're flying at the minute - no doubt you'll have a fantastic race :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow jcsmum, another pb in the bag no doubt ;):)

Saturday Race Series Half

My strategy for this was to stick with the 1:40 pacers for as long as I could and if I felt good enough, to push on. MrSlow and I had run most of the route a fewweeks ago and I was quite comfortable about it even with the last minute change to the route. Confidence was good. Training for DCM has been going well and running with the club has given me a lot of positives. Of course there is always the pressure of attaching yourself to a time but having a PB of 1:44:48 from Bohermeen last March, I always felt that a new PB was pretty certain (if I didn't blow up! :rolleyes: )

Arrived up at the park around 9.30, loo stop, bag drop, a quick hello to a few others from the club and I positioned myself right beside Niall at the start of wave 2. Cheeky me. A big hug from Olwyn and we were off. It was great being at the top of the wave because there was minimal ducking and diving and we all settled into a pace early on. I’m not going to go through each mile cos firstly I can’t really remember races in detail and secondly from start to finish line, I stuck to the pacers like glue. I was either in the middle of them or right behind them. The pace was quite comfortable and I never felt paniced or stressed at any stage. I suppose lack of confidence prevented me from pushing on earlier but the thought of the hills in the last few miles kept me with the pacers.

Niall was pushing us all on just before the 12 mile marker and I started to dig in coming up the hill at the furry glen. A third shout out from Conor (thanks boss :)), finish line in sight and I sprinted for home. Chip time 1:39:16 (27th in my category!). Absolutely chuffed to bits and a huge confidence boost for DCM. I know I had more in me at the finish line and hopefully I’ll take a few more minutes off this at some stage.

The pacers were excellent, a great job by Niall as always.

Sunday Rambleaid 5k, Tymon Park

As the club were helping in the organisation of this, I decided to sign myself and the little man up for this. As he’s only 7, I wasn’t sure if he would be able to run 5k, but I figured what’s the harm in trying :cool:. Arrived at the race HQ early as I had volunteered to help out. Spent most of that time chatting to other club members and discussing the half. Everyone was so lovely and supportive. The club did really well (well done Ray!). The weather wasn’t looking good as we headed off for the start just before 10oc. Drizzly rain and quite windy too. I felt my biggest problem with be holding him back in the first 2 miles. I think I spent most of the race saying ‘stop talking, conserve your energy, stop looking around, stop hitching up your tracksuit bottoms they’re not going to fall down, I’ll bring you to Symths later, stop talking......’ We stopped twice, once to take off his hoodie and again at the bottom of one of the many little hills. When we saw the finish line, I suggested a sprint finish. He took off like the wind to ‘beat’ me to the line. 29:57!!!!!! I was such a proud mommy! :D:D:D:D

Dropped him home and headed out for a short recovery run 5 miles at 8:45 pace. Legs felt pretty good for this.

Monday

5 early morning miles, pace 7:55. Some of this was tough, into the Firhouse road wind, but the pace was pretty consistent throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I see you're bucking against the anonymity Boards provides! :rolleyes:

There's time to come off of that too boss!

Congrats on another pb jcsmum, that was a great run! Confidence must be high for next month :)

Well done to your little man on his racing debut! You must be v proud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's great to see the kids out enjoying their running - you'll have to bring him to the next cross-country race in a couple of weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done JCsmum a great run. congrats to JC on his great time for 5k!! I hope you did bring him to Smyths!!;) Where would we be without Smyths!!

I also forgot to mention that I had a 5 mile and 10 mile PB on Saturday during the half. (4 mins or so off my 10 mile Mallow disaster!) :)

RayCun wrote: »
    It's great to see the kids out enjoying their running - you'll have to bring him to the next cross-country race in a couple of weeks :)

Will do, he's dying to race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done K. super progress being made here. Saw you at the FM104 truck after the race but by the time I got through the queue for baggage you had gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done K. super progress being made here. Saw you at the FM104 truck after the race but by the time I got through the queue for baggage you had gone.

Ah so a PB and then a bit of DJing. Heck, she's doing mighty training these days:D

Great going K, yourself and the Claralara one will be running in Rio at this rate.

pistol_75 wrote: »

That was the meeting point for the running club post race. (not sure I would have been able to talk to you if you had arrived :p;) )
    Actually I spent a while hanging around to see if I would see any boardsies, but I saw nobody :(

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ah so a PB and then a bit of DJing. Heck, she's doing mighty training these days:D

Great going K, yourself and the Claralara one will be running in Rio at this rate.

I'm sorry, what?!? :rolleyes::eek::pac:
    The boot camp guy must have knocked into you after all and whacked you on the head with something! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Nice going and congrats on a super PB. You're not resting on your laurels tho getting those miles in, impressed. Well done to jcjunior too on his PB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Huge congrats - fantastic race on Saturday. Should be a huge confidence boost knowing there's a lot more in that tank.. ;):)

And well done to your namesake on Sunday - great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Brillant pb K, congrats, all that hard work is paying off. Roll on DCM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Well done K. Great PB. Everything is boding well for another PB in six weeks

Sounds like the wee man has his mum's running gene's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant running K, great selection of pb's for you on Saturday - well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Great to see you Saturday K and super, dooper well done on a super, dooper time:D
    I like to think my hug helped you on your way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Well done on the PB, great running! And well done to your little man on his 5k as well :)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Great to see you Saturday K and super, dooper well done on a super, dooper time:D
    I like to think my hug helped you on your way:)

but of course! :D

Club session last night. Jog over to the start line of the Rathfarnham 5k, then we covered most of the route and then a jog back to the club HQ.
    Nice speedy lap with 3 of the ladies from the club - we all seemed to push each other on.
    5.5 miles total covered

6 miles this morning, pace 7:57.

Thursday night session with the club, some hill reps, 5 miles covered

Friday, got out of work early so got my LSR of 14 miles in, pace 8:50. I was happy to get this done as it meant a rest day before Sunday's Rathfarnham 5k. (Thanks Shaz for being so understanding for me dumping you!)

Saturday - rest day

Sunday - Rathfarnham 5k, chip time 21.08
    Was so psyched up for this, heaped a whole pile of pressure on myself for this one, actually thought sub 20.30 was a huge possibility. Was desperately nervous before this one, is there such thing as taper madness for a 5k? :o
    Beautiful morning in Rathfarnham, over 1.000 runners, quick warm up, goodbye to the family and off to the start line. Ray had shared his racing wisdom with all the club members on a strategy for this race and while I did try to follow it, it seemed to come apart towards the end. First mile in 6:20 and all was well. Up the hill into Terenure, again no major panic. The long stretch towards Templeogue I was plodding away, overtaking a few people - again things were okay. I was tired but was digging in. Round the corner, past the start line, shout outs from people on both sides of the road from family, boadsies and club members. Sometime after this, I think at the 800m mark I started to crumble a bit. I was panned. I tried to keep it together but the finish line was nowhere in sight. Lost pace/momentum/heart here. Finally when I saw the finish line in the distance, I sprinted for home.
    Okay, it's a 7 second PB, but I'm really disappointed. The legs felt fine, confidence was good. I know there's a lot of mileage in the legs but still......
    Anyway yesterday has put me in my place a little bit, I need to do better.

Monday
    New day, 6 miles in the dark and rain this morning, pace 8:11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear it didn't go well, you definitely have a better 5k than that in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Considering you had a half marathon race last weekend, and plenty of miles in between, sounds like a good run to me. Always tough on yourself. You'll get that sub 20.30 and better post marathon training.

BTW Two races in a week or so... have we had a relapse??!!

• Advertisement

I know you are disappointed, but that is a super 5K time, and to be getting a pb, with all those long milers in your legs, is an achievement. Well done :)

Advertisement