Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

thats a super time anda PB, don't be so hard on yourself. You did a half marathon last week and you are flying. Don't let what you feel was one bad run put you off. You are flying at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

What they said:)

You're putting in all the quality miles K and the main goal is DCM. It's disappointing when you don't reach your target time but that's a super PB (two in one week!)
    Onwards and upwards now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You had a super run yesterday - especially after last week's race and a hard week's training. Enjoy the PB and the fact that you know you'll go even faster next time round! Well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on the pb, there’s plenty of 5ks over the winter, you can crack 20:30 once you get DCM out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

21:08 for 5k is equivalent to a 1:38 HM according to mcmillan.

Given that you pretty much did that last weekend (over a tougher course) is a good sign. Your goal is a marathon so holding your 5k equivalent right up to HM shows that your training is paying off as it is specific to longer races.

BTW your marathon equivalent is 3:25. Sub 3:30 won't be a bother to you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

menoscemo wrote: »
    21:08 for 5k is equivalent to a 1:38 HM according to mcmillan.

Given that you pretty much did that last weekend (over a tougher course) is a good sign. Your goal is a marathon so holding your 5k equivalent right up to HM shows that your training is paying off as it is specific to longer races.

BTW your marathon equivalent is 3:25. Sub 3:30 won't be a bother to you ;)

:rolleyes: , but thanks!

Club session last night. 7 miles at 8:45 pace around the paths of Firhouse/Knocklyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Marthastew wrote: »
    What they said:)

You're putting in all the quality miles K and the main goal is DCM. It's disappointing when you don't reach your target time but that's a super PB (two in one week!)
    Onwards and upwards now:)

Oh no, the split between the Mile and the KM brigade is becoming even more confusing :eek::confused::D

jcsmum wrote: »
    Club session last night. 7 miles at 8:45 pace around the paths of Firhouse/Knocklyon.

Club session no less, you've come a long way from taking charitible milk shakes - cue mr slow - :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Club session no less, you've come a long way from taking charitible milk shakes - cue mr slow - :D;)

You need some new material! :rolleyes::p (and I don't mean lycra!)

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You need some new material! :rolleyes::p (and I don't mean lycra!)

Haha, the old ones are always the best - That's what CL says :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

You know my thoughts on the 5km so all I'm gonna say is eyes on the main prize and plenty more 5kms to be tackled in winter :)

Hill reps with the club last, these were tough but so satisfying. 5.5 miles covered, pace under 8 min miles

4 miles this morning, 8.11 pace.

Well done on the LSR again. To be fair Mr Slow has point.
    I know you don't like the pressure, none of us do, but you'll cruise 3.45 if your training continues as it it's currently going. You're flying it.
    It is hard to get you're heaad around trying to hold the pace for that length when not so long back, the pace was uncomfortable or a test over shorter distances. I've been there and still find it a challenge
    P&D has a couple of runs over the next few weeks that combine LSR with PMP. One is an 18 miler with 14 at MP, or 20 miles with 12 @ PMP. You could try one of these with the PMP @ 8.00 minute miles and just see how it goes. If it it doesn't go well, you've lost nothing, you have a tough session under your belt and you learn more about where you are. And if it goes well then great.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Agreed, although the 16 with 10 is a better 'toe in the water' workout. 6 mile warm up and 10 at pace.

Do it :cool:

So I finally took some advice and did an LSR on Saturday based on the above. Met Ro in a blustery Phoenix park at 8.45am and we set off on a 6/7 mile warm up. After a few miles my wing woman was not doing so well, but she suffered for a while in silence. She abandoned me at 4.5 miles (absolutely gutted for her but I know when she gets her health issues sorted, she'll be back to her old speedy self). I headed off to round up my warm up to 7 miles, back to the car for a drink and off to do 10 PMP miles.

Wasn't sure how this was going to go, but felt that if I struggled then it would tell me a thing or two of what MP I should be aiming for/capable of. Delighted to say that I managed 10 miles at 8 min pace. I'm still unsure of strategy for Dublin and I may just decide on the morning of Dublin how I'm going to do this. Was a confidence boosting run at any rate.

Sunday
    Brought the little man to the PP for his first xc race, U9, 700m. I have no idea how many kids were in this, about 25 I'd say. At the first bend he was coming last and I was so gutted for him. Delighted to say he came 17th. He was thrilled with himself. Fantastic running by all the kids!

Headed out for a recovery run in the afternoon, 6 miles at 8.39 (some recovery pace alright :rolleyes: will I ever learn)

Monday
    Dragged myself out of bed at 6.30 this morning (thank you Ryder Cup :rolleyes: for my late night). 4 miles at 8.11 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

She abandoned me at 4.5 miles

What do you mean 4.5 miles?!! It was surely 24.5 miles we'd done. Felt like it anyway :(
    As I said strange that everyone you run with gets struck down with mysterious energy sapping conditions. That right Mr. S?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What do you mean 4.5 miles?!! It was surely 24.5 miles we'd done. Felt like it anyway :(
    As I said strange that everyone you run with gets struck down with mysterious energy sapping conditions. That right Mr. S?! ;)

She's like Typhoid Mary! :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Punishment for running with people from other clubs. Traitor.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    She's like Typhoid Mary! :cool:

I'm picking you all off one at a time....... (shouldn't I have an evil laugh or something?)

I'm picking you all off one at a time....... (shouldn't I have an evil laugh or something?)

The murderous rage thinly hidden behind those blood red eyes is enough! :P

Who's next eh....who's next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Well she has already taken Nules and myself out with the constant injuries - I reckon she has voodoo dolls for the pair of us :eek:. Just when we think we're getting better, wham - in goes that pin again!

So that's a victim list of 4 so far...so indeed Ro who is next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

It might have been me. I read her log last night and woke up with plantar faslicitis and the ability not to spell:D

chinguetti wrote: »

It might have been me. I read her log last night and woke up with plantar faslicitis and the ability not to spell:D

That's a bad case of illiteracy alright :)

Maybe we should get Ray to block her log incase anyone else gets taken down!

Anyway, back to running :rolleyes:

Club session at Stocking lane last night. I jogged over and just joined the group before we set off up the hill, didn't even get to catch my breath. Brilliant hill session, legs felt strong. I did however eat my dinner less than an hour beforehand which was not ideal but this weather makes me so hungry :o. 7 miles in total covered including the warm down 1.5 mile home.

Anyway, back to running :rolleyes:

Club session at Stocking lane last night. I jogged over and just joined the group before we set off up the hill, didn't even get to catch my breath. Brilliant hill session, legs felt strong. I did however eat my dinner less than an hour beforehand which was not ideal but this weather makes me so hungry :o. 7 miles in total covered including the warm down 1.5 mile home.

Is Stocking Lane as exciting as it sounds? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Think

smellySocks-225x300.jpg

rather than

Stockings-184x300.jpg

and you're on the right track :D

That's disappointing! :(

It's like the scenario where someone has a very sexy voice on the phone, then you meet them! :eek:

Think

smellySocks-225x300.jpg

rather than

Stockings-184x300.jpg

and you're on the right track :D

:D:pac:

Time to update this log....

Thursday Oct 4
    Was having a root canal treatment done in the afternoon, so felt I might not be able for a club session headed off for a run before work. 6 miles at 8.14 pace. From what I can remember this one felt pretty good.
    (on a side note, I was collecting the little man to his training with the club and on the way home I spotted all the adults out doing a tempo run. I really wanted to hop out of the car and join them... I'm such a bad mother :rolleyes:)

Friday Oct 5
    Stuck for time, so a quick 2 miler round the block.

Saturday Oct 6
    Up bright and early, 8 miles done 8.09 pace. The legs felt d-e-a-d for this, so thankfully the pace is decent. I felt I was going a LOT slower.

Sunday Athlone 3/4 marathon - pacing

Signed up to pace this a few weeks ago, thought it would be good prep for Dublin. I know that the pace would be slower than what I was used to, but I have done some good LSRs over the last few months, training has been going well and at this stage it was just about getting the miles in.

Met Pete and his running buddy in Lucan after 8oc and we arrived in Glasson before 9.30. Perfect conditions, not a puff of wind and lovely sunshine. Met up with Rachel in the registration area where everyone seemed to be sitting around having tea/coffee and scones - it was all very civilised.

I was at a lost as to the pacing information on the way down to Athlone. From the website the pace was to be 10.10 for the first 1/3 and then 9:38 for the rest. How would one make a pace band for this exactly. I was going a bit crazy trying to divide 19.66 miles by 3 and getting different splits for the first third of the race. I need not have worried. Firstly pacer extraordinaire Aimman was co-pacer and secondly we were told to keep it simple, keep the pace around 9:40 for the entire race and try to get people in between 3:10-3.12. Just before 11oc we were all ushered to the front of the hotel for the race briefing and the pacers were 'introduced' to the crowd. As we stood on the steps looking down at everyone I remarked to Aimman that I felt I should have the Sam Maguire in my hands or something. After the race briefing we shuffled out onto a narrow laneway and before we knew it we were off. The laneway while being narrow had briars on either side so hanging on to the balloons was going to be a task in itself. We made it back with 1 of the 3 balloons :cool:

Keeping a 9:40 on a hilly course like Athlone meant that I was constantly checking the garmin, trying to balance out the slow uphills with the faster descents. Somehow every mile seemed to beep at 9.38-9.40 :D, being a garmin freak was paying off. A is a super pacer and he was great for rousing the crowd. Me, I'm more of a 'one on one' pacer. I just have little chats with people at they arrive at my shoulder. We seemed to have a core group of followers which we brought all the way around with us. Everyone seemed to be doing Dublin and for most of them it was their first marathon. I could hear Rachel and her new buddy careermove behind us chatting - obviously not working hard enough :rolleyes:, I think it was around half way when they pushed on. Great times by both of them. :)

The course itself is a tough one, not the easiest for people to keep a steady pace. The hills were long in places and the hill at mile 18 is just plain cruel. I was delighted that our pacees just dug in at that stage and everyone kept plodding along. There were water stations every 4 miles and not just water I might add. There were bowls of oranges, watermelon, bananas and jellies. Because I was pacing and trying to act all professional ;) I only took 1 jelly. Talk about self restraint! Then A got people all excited telling them stories about cake being available last year around the half way stage. However none materialised :(. Just as well really I suppose, how would one eat cake and run. I mean I'd give it a go but it might not have looked pretty.

After the hill between 18-19, we urged all the group to push on the last stretch for home (yes our finish line photo looks like we ran solo, thanks Shaz! :p). 19.69 miles covered, chip time 3:09:41, pace 9:38.
    Super organisation in Athlone, friendly stewards, post race massage, post race shower facilities. I think the small things like having a separate key drop, bag drop, plenty of t-shirts (in men's and women's sizes), fruit, jellies, bottles of water (no cups :)) make this a definite one for the calendar. Would love to pace it again. Had a great day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fair play to you on the pacing gig! You'll earn your reward in DCM ;)

Advertisement