Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RubyK wrote: »
    Fair play to you on the pacing gig! You'll earn your reward in DCM ;)

You mean a sub 3 so? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great running yesterday jcsmum, you took it all in your stride. Even your moment with the microphone during the pre race briefing:D

It was good to have the downhill section for the last bit to get people to push along. Disappointed about the cake, I think I was looking forward to a slice of tea brack myself. Turned out that the cake was a lie, but I think the big Strawberry sweets made up for it.

Funniest moment was approaching the junction that I was going to take a pitstop at, but realising our balloons had just all tangled and frantically trying to unwrap them, only to realise I snapped off the wrong balloon. I'd never get a job as a bomb defusal expert. lol and you shouting "I'm not coming with you' Reminded me of the film Stuck On You, :eek:

Aimman wrote: »
    Great running yesterday jcsmum, you took it all in your stride. Even your moment with the microphone during the pre race briefing:D

It was good to have the downhill section for the last bit to get people to push along. Disappointed about the cake, I think I was looking forward to a slice of tea brack myself. Turned out that the cake was a lie, but I think the big Strawberry sweets made up for it.

Funniest moment was approaching the junction that I was going to take a pitstop at, but realising our balloons had just all tangled and frantically trying to unwrap them, only to realise I snapped off the wrong balloon. I'd never get a job as a bomb defusal expert. lol and you shouting "I'm not coming with you' Reminded me of the film Stuck On You, :eek:

So I take it you won't be auditioning for the lead role if they make The Hurt Locker 2 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

jcsmum wrote: »
    You mean a sub 3 so? ;):D

Absolutely, why not :D You're going to run a fab pb time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I really wanted to hop out of the car and join them... I'm such a bad mother

I think someone just found your wallet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Great running and great report there jcsmum! You almost made a 3/4 marathon sound like fun!

Great running and great report there jcsmum! You almost made a 3/4 marathon sound like fun!

Racing it would have been a whole different ball game!

Monday woke up with sore sore legs, didn't stretch properly after Athlone, rookie mistake! :o Decided to take a rest day. I spent the whole day berating myself about it and saying 'look it's dry outside, you could have done an easy 4 miler before work...' and then after work I kept looking outside hoping that it would rain hail or snow so that I would feel less guilty about not running. I have serious problems no? :rolleyes:

Anyway club session up the delightful stocking lane last night. Dropped the little man to his training which is about 1/2 mile away or so and jogged up to the bottom of the hill. Big turnout again tonight. Turns out we started at the top of the hill and jogged down, then back up, 3/4 way down and up again... and so on all at a good fast pace. No recovery jogs to be enjoyed. Was wondering if the legs would hold up for this and thankfully they did. We finished the session with about 15 mins to spare. Some people ran back to race meeting point the short way and others took the longer loop. Figuring we'd have time before we'd pick up the kids, I ran the long way back with another of the mothers. Um, lets just say our sense of timing and distance was way off and we ended up practically sprinting back to the kids training venue (sub 7:30 mile pace :eek:). Nothing like parental guilt to instil a dose of HTFU.
    (must look at that Pulp Fiction clip again :))
    Great session, 6 miles covered.

Up with the birds this morning, 4 miles at 8:04 pace.

Club speed session last night. Between warm-up and cool-down 6 miles covered.
    So many club members doing the marathon, lots of excitment and nervousness in the air. Found out that our club members will be volunteering to steward along the last 800 meters of the marathon route. Memories of Limerick and Cork flooding back to me..... :o:eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Memories of Limerick and Cork flooding back to me..... :o:eek::)

Delete the negativity boss, Limerick was hot and you were close, Cork was three weeks later and hotter plus you upped the pace too early, you have another full marathon rotation in the legs and you're targetting inside your ability.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You've put in great training, and look at all the pb's you've racked up. You're going to banish those memories from Limerick & Cork on the 29th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the pacing - sounded like a great day.

And the very best of luck over the next couple of weeks. Look after yourself, get to that start line in one piece, run your own planned race and you'll play an absolute blinder.

Really excited for you - you've trained well and hard and you deserve a great day :)

Took an unplanned rest day on Friday. Bold. Was so lazy Saturday morning, first time I've really not wanted to head off on an LSR, just wanted to hang out with the kids in my pyjamas really. But for the greater good, I set off around 9.30. the plan was 2 loops around Knocklyon/Ballyboden with a home water stop in the middle. Naturally after a few hundred meters all was right in the world again and I settled into a nice rhythm. Tried not to be too hung up on pace but was hoping I would be in an around MP. Delighted with my 15 miles at 8:11 pace. Was tiring a bit on the last few miles but happy that it went so well.

Sunday, novice xc in the Phoenix Park. The family and I arrived at the park around 10.30 as the little man had his U9 race at 11. He came 16th (again, he thought it was a conspiracy :)), which was mid pack. It was so pleasant standing around the park in the cold and rain for the next 2 hours.
    The ladies race was at 1 so at around 12.30 I met up with the club mates and we jogged around the course to get ourselves familar with the mucky terrain! Only 1 of our team had run xc before so we were a little bit nervous but the club coaches couldn't have been more supportive. We were all pinning our hopes on Michelle our speedster who came 3rd overall! :D
    I had decided that I was in 'preservation mode' for DCM so I couldn't afford to go all out on this one. Lining up at the start & looking around at the other ladies I felt so old. We had 2 laps of the course to do which meant there was great support all way around! I had absolutely no idea where I was in the field for the duration of the race, I just stuck to a pace which was semi-comfortable and managed to keep to this. I didn't kill myself & could probably have finished a few more places up if I had been more aggressive (sorry Ray! :o). I seemed to be able to overtake on the climbs (thank you Stocking lane!) and managed a sprint finish. Was actually pretty happy with how I did 48 out of 74 (I think). Enjoyed it in a weird kind of way.
    Hung around to watch the men's race. It looked so tough, I was feeling all kinds of pain watching them lap after lap. It was lovely being part of a team and everyone was really supportive of each other. Had to dash off after the race to rejoin the family who were thawing out in the car!

Up bright and early this morning, 6 miles pace of 7:52 (did the firhouse 10k loops). Was slightly concerned about a twinge in my right foot after yesterday, but it seems to be working okay at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There were 60 places between Bros Pearse and Liffey Valley so - just this once - I'll let you away with it :)
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it, because the Intermediates are on next month ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    There were 60 places between Bros Pearse and Liffey Valley so - just this once - I'll let you away with it :)

But if she'd finished first there'd have been a lot less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on the XC yesterday K. Interesting that you gained places on the hills, normally hills don't bother me but yesterday they killed me!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done on the XC yesterday K. Interesting that you gained places on the hills, normally hills don't bother me but yesterday they killed me!

And well done yourself. The men's race looked like a big ole world of pain.

RayCun wrote: »

Why thank you great leader! I am not worthy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great running recently K, just catching up with your log. You're in flying form.

Hill session with the club last night. Toughest. Session. Ever. I always slot into the second group and I was wondering why there were so few takers for the second group last night. After one rep, I knew exactly why :eek: Ouch. I'm guessing 400 meter climb, 400 meter cool down (7 reps) If I was on my own, I'd have flagged down a taxi home, but I somehow managed to hang on to the back of the group and keep going. Maybe not the wisest session to be doing so close to DCM, but from here on out, I'm going to be taking it easy.
    A total of 5.5 miles covered.

• Advertisement

Hill session with the club last night. Toughest. Session. Ever. I always slot into the second group and I was wondering why there were so few takers for the second group last night. After one rep, I knew exactly why :eek: Ouch. I'm guessing 400 meter climb, 400 meter cool down (7 reps) If I was on my own, I'd have flagged down a taxi home, but I somehow managed to hang on to the back of the group and keep going. Maybe not the wisest session to be doing so close to DCM, but from here on out, I'm going to be taking it easy.

Fair play two good sessions down since the XC. 3:39:59 is a joke prediction in the DCM thread right, surely you'll be going for 3:35 at least? 3:39:56 is my time from DCM last year though and my official pb. You've taken most of my other pbs lately you might as well go for that as well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good session last night- it was tough but the bus-stops up and over session is the real killer for me. I think you are underestimating the climb on the first section, I reckon its more like 750m up. Surely someone has a Garmin record that can tell us to the cm the distance?
    I agree with RQ, you will cruise home well under 3.39 in DCM

Fair play two good sessions down since the XC. 3:39:59 is a joke prediction in the DCM thread right, surely you'll be going for 3:35 at least? 3:39:56 is my time from DCM last year though and my official pb. You've taken most of my other pbs lately you might as well go for that as well. :D

Ah don't you start! :rolleyes:

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Good session last night- it was tough but the bus-stops up and over session is the real killer for me. I think you are underestimating the climb on the first section, I reckon its more like 750m up. Surely someone has a Garmin record that can tell us to the cm the distance?
    I agree with RQ, you will cruise home well under 3.39 in DCM

I feel better now knowing that. :)

Will Yeh leave ir out ;)

Will Yeh leave ir out ;)

Listen woman. Go take down my pb, or else. :mad:

Took a rest day on Wednesday. As OH was late home from work last night & I had no babysitter, I couldn't get to the club session. I dropped my little runner over to his training at 7 and drove past all the adults making their way to the meeting spot :(.
    Ran over to collect the little man from his training 1 mile, 1 mile home (which has to be my most enjoyable mile ever - he's such a chatterbox while he's running. 'look at me mom, I'm not even breaking a sweat, can we go faster' 'can we go running every night' 'what? we're ONLY doing 1 mile'?
    I've created a monster!! :D
    Dropped him home and headed out to do a 3 mile loop. Didn't bother checking pace but it was a nice handy one.

This morning 4 early morning miles, 8:55 pace. Was so tempted to hit the snooze button at 6.30 but I knew we were having scones at work, so I felt I'd enjoy the scone much more having gone for the run. :)
    How right I was!

Listen woman. Go take down my pb, or else. :mad:

if you insist :cool:

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Will Yeh leave ir out ;)

is that Tallaght speak? I do not understand this dialect :cool:

Advertisement