Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »

Ah don't you start! :rolleyes:

Will Yeh leave ir out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger2d2 wrote: »

Will Yeh leave ir out ;)

Can't believe I posted that 3 times, bleedin phone 8-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Can't believe I posted that 3 times, bleedin phone 8-/

Okay okay, leave me alone...... (runs away crying)

2 lovely runs over the weekend. Saturday 8 miles 8:28 pace and Sunday 6 miles 8:43 pace.
    Everything feels pretty good, I just wish I could stop eating crisps and chocolate. Silly me stocked up the 'sweet press' for Halloween. Needless to say I've broken into it a few times. :o

Can't wait for this day next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

2 lovely runs over the weekend. Saturday 8 miles 8:28 pace and Sunday 6 miles 8:43 pace.
    Everything feels pretty good, I just wish I could stop eating crisps and chocolate. Silly me stocked up the 'sweet press' for Halloween. Needless to say I've broken into it a few times. :o

Can't wait for this day next week. :)

I'll look out for a heavy set lass cruising around at 8 min miles on the day then.:D

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'll look out for a heavy set lass cruising around at 8 min miles on the day then.:D

Are you trying to upset me? 8 min miles indeed..... ;)

Are you trying to upset me? 8 min miles indeed..... ;)

Sorry, I hadn't taken the extra poundage into consideration :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey jcsmum, nearly there now! Have a great day Monday, you're on course for a fine pb!!

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey jcsmum, nearly there now! Have a great day Monday, you're on course for a fine pb!!

Thanks A, as are you! :) Will we see you in the pub after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks A, as are you! :) Will we see you in the pub after?

Thanks K, still not sure if we are staying over Monday yet, all depends on what happens in work today. If we are though, I'll be in to meet you all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So it's that point where you can't believe it's here so quickly, yet all you want is to be at the startline right now?! Keep banking that energy and have an absolutely fantastic race on Monday - your training has been spot-on and you'll have a truly great day. Can't wait to catch up with you afterwards :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck on Monday K, hope you have a brilliant race - you deserve it. PB ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck to you...and enjoy the day!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You've put in the work for a good marathon. Take it handy to Fosters Avenue if you want, but push on then, show that course what you're capable of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck on Monday, you'll have no bother. Training has gone so well for you that you'll get the time you've earned....
    Catch up with you after in McGrattans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck out there on Monday. I have no fear you'll have a super run.
    You'll have Kerry colours on this time around so nothing can go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck on Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You'll have Kerry colours on this time around so nothing can go wrong!
    'coz that worked so well this year!!

Best of luck K, you're so gonna nail that DCM course!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck missus. I expect 3:34:59 at the very worst. Don't let me down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

best of luck on Monday K, you're ready to smash that PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck on monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Enjoy the race, I'll have to keep my eye out for you on the route, I reckon you'll be doing a faster time than you think.

Aimman wrote: »
    Enjoy the race, I'll have to keep my eye out for you on the route, I reckon you'll be doing a faster time than you think.

How are you fixed E?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck tomorrow...U deserve to go well so go out and do urself justice :)

I had so many thoughts and feelings coming into this marathon. I had hit the wall in my last 2 outings and despite trying not to focus on that, it haunted me in my training and actually right up until I crossed the finish line yesterday! I am glad to say that I have finally put my demons to rest on that score.

Got up nice and early yesterday and despite having shaky hands while eating my breakfast, I was raring to go. Got a lift into town with two members of the club and we met up with a bunch of other members in the Conrad at 7:45. It was all very relaxed and everyone was buzzing!! Lined up towards the back of the first wave within sight of the 3.30 pacers (but considering that time was NOT in the plan - I hadn't trained for it and I just felt 'not yet....maybe next time :)') I had 2 pace bands 3.39 and 3.35 and to be honest I rarely looked at either & I didn't bother with the 3.39 one atall. Standing there, I was just willing for the gun to go off..... like everyone else I guess.

Before I knew it, we were off. The miles up to the Phoenix park were uneventful really. My plan was to keep between 8:05-8:20 pace. A few times I looked down at it read 7:50. Then I started talking & giving out to myself 'do you want another Limerick....well do ya???!!!' So I tried to rein myself in, but everything felt strong and I felt maybe to run a bit less by garmin and more by feel.

Out of the park, missed RQ who I know was practising cartwheels and handstands for me ;). Got a big shoutout from Ro at mile 10. Another shoutout up the Crumlin Road from jc's teacher (didn't know she was going to be there, so delighted that she spotted me!) I remember disliking that whole stretch from the park all the way up to Walkinstown but yesterday I seemed to just be a different runner, the pace was steady and the body felt good. At the halfway stage I was 30 seconds up on a sub 3.35 time, but hand on heart I knew that I wasn't going to be able to maintain this, but felt that I wanted to be as close to 3.35 as I possibly could.

Passed Ray and family at mile 14, thanks for the holler!!! The family were camped out at Bushy park and I was laughing and waving and blowing kisses to them. A far cry from the tired woman who saw them this time last year. People from the club were out along the route at various places, especially around Fortfield Road and Terenure and it was great to get a shout out from them. Even people shouting out the club name was great. I did have a name badge but it fell off at mile 3 (one of the guys in the club made one for everyone!)

I started to feel better in myself around Terenure..... I felt strong and the pace again was 8:10-8:15 and it didn't feel like too much effort. A work colleague was at the Dropping Well and my brother in law was under the bridge at Milltown and my first cousin (who I missed eventhough she was roaring at me) was at the Spar in Milltown. Knowing they were going to be there was just great and kept me ticking away. I'd have to say the hills were okay for me, I just put the head down and dug in. I know what it's like to have to walk in a marathon and while I felt bad for the walkers I overtook from mile 16 onwards, it gave me such a boost. I was NOT going to walk a single step....no sireeeee'.

Another work colleage at Fosters Avenue and he ran beside me for a while. I didn't feel that I was able to push on at that stage, I just wanted to keep it nice and steady. Along by UCD, across the flyover and down by RTE.....steady does it. At mile 23 the legs started tiring big time, now was the moment, could I hold it all together. Again, head down, counting steps, overtaking, trying to savour the crowds, trying to muster as many positive thoughts as I possible could. Knowing that MrS and MrC would be at mile 25 was huge incentive for me..... two guys who would love to be running yesterday. Plus there was no way I was going to be struggling while passing them :rolleyes::D A big huge wave to the two of them (which I think cost me 30 seconds! ;)) and I was on the final mile. The final mile which seemed like it would never end. The crowds were going mental......and really helped pushed me on. The club members were stewarding the last 800 meters and the thoughts of that pushed me on even more. Finish line up again, it seemed so far away. One foot on that blue carpet and I was finally able to savour my moment. Across the line in 3.36.36, a whole 9 minute PB :D
    The garmin reads 26.4 miles, 3.36.36, pace 8.12 (48 in my category!)

I have a whole loads of emotions today about it all. Firstly I am so happy to have run it all and put the past few marathon experiences behind me. I know now that I can do it and do it right! I know too, that I can do better and that I will do better.
    Secondly the support from boardsies is so invaluable, okay some of you are so demanding in your expectations, but I wouldn't have it any other way :):rolleyes:
    Thirdly the running club members were incredible. The number of texts and FB messages of support were phenomenal. The support on the route was overwhelming and from the club stewards on the home strait. One guy from the club was on his bike and he popped up 4 times with bags of jellies and words of encouragement. I was especially touched by members that maybe didn't have the race they wanted yesterday but were so genuine in their delight for me and other club runners. I can't express what that meant to me.

Great to meet up with so many people yesterday, I'm like a cheshire cat in work today... yep you read that right 'work'!! :cool:

(on a side note, I took 4 gels yesterday at miles 6, 12, 16 and 20, but the last few miles I felt very weak again. I think I could have done with some food (not jellies, tried those but they didnt' do anything for me). Not sure what I could have eaten to give me a boost towards the end)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I had so many thoughts and feelings coming into this marathon. I had hit the wall in my last 2 outings and despite trying not to focus on that, it haunted me in my training and actually right up until I crossed the finish line yesterday! I am glad to say that I have finally put my demons to rest on that score.

Got up nice and early yesterday and despite having shaky hands while eating my breakfast, I was raring to go. Got a lift into town with two members of the club and we met up with a bunch of other members in the Conrad at 7:45. It was all very relaxed and everyone was buzzing!! Lined up towards the back of the first wave within sight of the 3.30 pacers (but considering that time was NOT in the plan - I hadn't trained for it and I just felt 'not yet....maybe next time :)') I had 2 pace bands 3.39 and 3.35 and to be honest I rarely looked at either & I didn't bother with the 3.39 one atall. Standing there, I was just willing for the gun to go off..... like everyone else I guess.

Before I knew it, we were off. The miles up to the Phoenix park were uneventful really. My plan was to keep between 8:05-8:20 pace. A few times I looked down at it read 7:50. Then I started talking & giving out to myself 'do you want another Limerick....well do ya???!!!' So I tried to rein myself in, but everything felt strong and I felt maybe to run a bit less by garmin and more by feel.

Out of the park, missed RQ who I know was practising cartwheels and handstands for me ;). Got a big shoutout from Ro at mile 10. Another shoutout up the Crumlin Road from jc's teacher (didn't know she was going to be there, so delighted that she spotted me!) I remember disliking that whole stretch from the park all the way up to Walkinstown but yesterday I seemed to just be a different runner, the pace was steady and the body felt good. At the halfway stage I was 30 seconds up on a sub 3.35 time, but hand on heart I knew that I wasn't going to be able to maintain this, but felt that I wanted to be as close to 3.35 as I possibly could.

Passed Ray and family at mile 14, thanks for the holler!!! The family were camped out at Bushy park and I was laughing and waving and blowing kisses to them. A far cry from the tired woman who saw them this time last year. People from the club were out along the route at various places, especially around Fortfield Road and Terenure and it was great to get a shout out from them. Even people shouting out the club name was great. I did have a name badge but it fell off at mile 3 (one of the guys in the club made one for everyone!)

I started to feel better in myself around Terenure..... I felt strong and the pace again was 8:10-8:15 and it didn't feel like too much effort. A work colleague was at the Dropping Well and my brother in law was under the bridge at Milltown and my first cousin (who I missed eventhough she was roaring at me) was at the Spar in Milltown. Knowing they were going to be there was just great and kept me ticking away. I'd have to say the hills were okay for me, I just put the head down and dug in. I know what it's like to have to walk in a marathon and while I felt bad for the walkers I overtook from mile 16 onwards, it gave me such a boost. I was NOT going to walk a single step....no sireeeee'.

Another work colleage at Fosters Avenue and he ran beside me for a while. I didn't feel that I was able to push on at that stage, I just wanted to keep it nice and steady. Along by UCD, across the flyover and down by RTE.....steady does it. At mile 23 the legs started tiring big time, now was the moment, could I hold it all together. Again, head down, counting steps, overtaking, trying to savour the crowds, trying to muster as many positive thoughts as I possible could. Knowing that MrS and MrC would be at mile 25 was huge incentive for me..... two guys who would love to be running yesterday. Plus there was no way I was going to be struggling while passing them :rolleyes::D A big huge wave to the two of them (which I think cost me 30 seconds! ;)) and I was on the final mile. The final mile which seemed like it would never end. The crowds were going mental......and really helped pushed me on. The club members were stewarding the last 800 meters and the thoughts of that pushed me on even more. Finish line up again, it seemed so far away. One foot on that blue carpet and I was finally able to savour my moment. Across the line in 3.36.36, a whole 9 minute PB :D
    The garmin reads 26.4 miles, 3.36.36, pace 8.12 (48 in my category!)

I have a whole loads of emotions today about it all. Firstly I am so happy to have run it all and put the past few marathon experiences behind me. I know now that I can do it and do it right! I know too, that I can do better and that I will do better.
    Secondly the support from boardsies is so invaluable, okay some of you are so demanding in your expectations, but I wouldn't have it any other way :):rolleyes:
    Thirdly the running club members were incredible. The number of texts and FB messages of support were phenomenal. The support on the route was overwhelming and from the club stewards on the home strait. One guy from the club was on his bike and he popped up 4 times with bags of jellies and words of encouragement. I was especially touched by members that maybe didn't have the race they wanted yesterday but were so genuine in their delight for me and other club runners. I can't express what that meant to me.

Great to meet up with so many people yesterday, I'm like a cheshire cat in work today... yep you read that right 'work'!! :cool:

(on a side note, I took 4 gels yesterday at miles 6, 12, 16 and 20, but the last few miles I felt very weak again. I think I could have done with some food (not jellies, tried those but they didnt' do anything for me). Not sure what I could have eaten to give me a boost towards the end)

Thats a great run and fair play to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats next?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Incredibly delighted for you! Sounds like you ran a very smart race, and your prep was dead on. Well done!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fantastic race, brilliant time - well done, chuffed for you :)

Advertisement