Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

jcsmum wrote: »
    Tempting! I know another person (non-running) who will be there and might like some cake too.

:D what a fantastic idea since I know you won't be bringing me anything :p

RQ please acknowledge and action this suggestion :)

As for your log K, you know it's been a while since I read it but flaming hell where are those paces coming from. You go girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Saturday Dec 1
    8 miles at 8:21 pace. Nothing much to say about this atall.

Sunday Dec 2
    Ladies meet and Train XC Swords.
    The night before at the Christmas party, I has no team organised for this, so had decided to run solo. By the end of the night I had 3 very enthusiastic :rolleyes: volunteers to run as a team thanks to the persuading powers or our most improved club athlete 2012 Ray :cool:. I spent most of Sunday morning ringing everyone, googling directions, organising the kids (one of whom was seriously not well, but hey mommy's running comes first!). Picked up another club member before 10am and off we set. Met up with the other 2 at Fingallians HQ. 4 mammies who decided to run because although we were all partying the night before, sure we would be up with kids anyway and why not!
    Met my childminder Shaz over there - seriously did I not tell you that wiping snot and bringing the kids to the toilet was included in the job!?! :D
    Did a half hearted warm up, had about 2 mouthfuls of water and lined up. I was pretty happy with the pace, nothing too strenuous. I ran alongside JC's teacher for a while (rival club boo!) but she said she would never hear the end of it in the classroom if she didn't beat me, so off she went. I overtook about 5 people overall and only on the last stretch before the finish line I was overtaken by 2 people (hate that :(). I had totally misjudged where the finish line was! Delighted with 14th place. In hindsight could/should have pushed a bit more, but I'm finding xc difficult to judge... also it would help if I wore spikes.
    Anyway a nice cuppa in the clubhouse afterwards and my 3 volunteers were all delighted with themselves, so that was brilliant!!

Wasn't happy with a 2 mile Sunday, so headed off out later on that evening. 5 miles covered, pace 8:18. Legs felt heavy so was suprised at the pace when I got home.

Monday Dec 3
    Didn't even give myself a chance to hit the snooze button at 6.30 this morning. Out the door before my brain could engage. A nice blustery 4.5 miler this morning, pace 8:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Nothing much to say about this atall.
    I has no team organised for this, .

You can take the burd out of Kerry......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I had totally misjudged where the finish line was! Delighted with 14th place. In hindsight could/should have pushed a bit more, but I'm finding xc difficult to judge...

I had no idea where the finish line was which really did not help.

Well done yesterday, you weren't far behind me judging by the results. Very impressive with a hangover. :)

Tuesday Dec 4
    Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get to the club training session last night :( Didn't get out until well after 8pm. The legs were like lead for this, haven't felt like this in a long time, was half relieved I had missed the club hill sessions - this run felt like hard work, plus a massive big dog, like a huskie (on a long lead) tried to jump up on me and scared me half to death.
    Had a 7 mile route plotted out and while I felt sluggish, I kept going. Couldn't believe that my pace turned out to be 8:11 :confused: That was kinda nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

plus a massive big dog, like a huskie (on a long lead) tried to jump up on me :)

You need to go to confession ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You need to go to confession ;)

That's the 'Tallaght' coming out in you again. :rolleyes:

That's the 'Tallaght' coming out in you again. :rolleyes:

:D

Wed Dec 5
    Rest day

Thursday Dec 6
    Late for club training session (again :(), my group had just left. Tried my best to catch them, had to run like an absolute maniac. Then due to tiredness & being unwell, combined with the wind on the Firhouse road, I gave up after 2 miles. Did a few more loops on my own to bring the total to 6.5 miles.

The run was bloody awful - :mad: at being late & not being able to catch the guys, combined with the wind & heavy uncoperative legs, I was not a happy camper. The pace was 8:02 but really hated this one.
    I think the thoughts of racing anything at the weekend are gone. Might head out for a few easy miles tonight and see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

When the young lads are allowed set the pace the relaxed run goes out the window. We finished in around 7.20 pace average so they weren't hanging around. I find it really hard to make it on time to the sessions and have started to ring PV for the route so that I can intercept them if I'm late. That way I can get in most of the session......
    Are you going to Novices??? I'm going to do BHAA instead, I think the men's team for Novices won't be as "published" (2 of the originals have dropped out- Ray may have been up to his old tricks again.... ) You couldn't pay me enough money to run the novices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My old tricks?:eek:
    Dave and Shane are out, Peter is in, Aidan, Conor, Eoin and me are the rest of the team.

(for Thursday sessions it would be good to have a route in advance and a pace, because they're supposed to be easy runs not tempos. We can discuss it at the meeting in January but you guys will have to enforce it :))

RayCun wrote: »
    My old tricks?:eek:
    Dave and Shane are out, Peter is in, Aidan, Conor, Eoin and me are the rest of the team.

(for Thursday sessions it would be good to have a route in advance and a pace, because they're supposed to be easy runs not tempos. We can discuss it at the meeting in January but you guys will have to enforce it :))

Pacing that run is NB- as I understand it was not meant to be a tempo session rather a bridge from Tuesday to a tough Sat session. E is setting up a killer Sat morn session for us that will probably ruin the weekend for us with its exhausting/draining/mind boggling toughness :eek:

Good luck tomorrow Ray- do you want the tent?

Nah, don't think there's any point tomorrow. But I'll get it from you during the week if you need to unload it. That Saturday session sounds great, pity I have the track at the time...

It's in the shed so there's no need to take it unless you want to marvel at it

Friday Dec 7
    Took this as an extra rest day, I was tired and a bit under the weather

Saturday Dec 8
    When I woke up, I wasn't feeling great but after breakfast I decided to head out on some type of LSR. I was thinking 7 or 8 miles if everything behaved itself. What a difference a rest day makes - everything was ticking along so nicely, I ended up doing 12 miles, pace 8:22 and it was relatively effortless.

Sunday Dec 9
    Had decided to run my first BHAA xc race in Marlay on Sunday morning, despite being out the night before at a certain fabulous 40 year old boardsie's party!!! I really need to run a xc race without traces of alcohol in my system. Everything ran really smoothly at Marlay for registration, met up with some club members who were running, 4 of us in total. I had no idea of the standard for this race but figured a lot of the serious xc runners would be in Adamstown. There was a distinct lack of women too and I had no idea where to place myself at the start line. I was also debuting my new pink :rolleyes: spikes - didn't have time to break them in, so fingers crossed they would do the trick.
    We had to do 3 laps of some playing fields which were relatively flat. My first lap was the toughest I felt, I was trying to get into a rhythm and just file in behind people who were doing my pace. I seemed to find a pace and more or less stick to that. I think after people found their places in the first half lap, I wasn't overtaken too much and managed to do a bit of overtaking myself. The spikes were a huge help as there was a huge muddy patch at the far side of the field.
    Found the race pretty okay, never struggled too much and managed a sprint finish albeit a short one. A €15 prize for first F35 was the icing on the cake and I was delighted with a time of 22:14 :D

Monday Dec 10
    Up bright and early this morning, 5.5 miles covered at a relatively slow pace of 8:44 (some icy patches on footpaths had to be negotiated, but arrived home unscathed!)

Well done, that's a very decent time for a cross country race and you can't complain about a category win :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done missus. You've more sense than to go into these races completely sober. :D

Well done missus. You've more sense than to go into these races completely sober. :D

To be honest, I'm not sure if that weird beer makes you drunk or not :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To be honest, I'm not sure if that weird beer makes you drunk or not :confused:;)

Considering I had a very animated conversation with the taxi driver about fantasy football on the way home, I can confirm that it does :pac:

Saturday Dec 8
    When I woke up, I wasn't feeling great but after breakfast I decided to head out on some type of LSR. I was thinking 7 or 8 miles if everything behaved itself. What a difference a rest day makes - everything was ticking along so nicely, I ended up doing 12 miles, pace 8:22 and it was relatively effortless.

QUOTE]

I saw you as I was driving out of Woodfield, I beeped and waved, you ran on and ignored. Ah, things have changed since the famous milkshake (it's cathartic for me to bring that up now and again :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats on the category win! That's a super 5K time for XC also.
    No where are the photos of the pink shoes?:D

I saw you as I was driving out of Woodfield, I beeped and waved, you ran on and ignored. Ah, things have changed since the famous milkshake (it's cathartic for me to bring that up now and again :D)

Had to Google that:
    ca·thar·tic (kschwa.gif-thärprime.giftibreve.gifk)adj. Inducing catharsis; purgative.

n. An agent for purging the bowels, especially a laxative.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on the category win, I can see a lot more of these happening for you in 2013 ;):)

My humblest apologies! :)

So a common denominator for your last 2 good XC performances is alcohol the night before and you want to remove it...yeah that's not work :rolleyes: Stick with the alcohol carb loading methinks :D. Oh and as RQ wisely points out, why would you want to run them sober!!!

Tuesday 11 Dec
    Club session. This one was supposed to be on the footpaths but we had to abandon this idea due to the frost. We all headed over to a green area for some reps - some people did 400s and I joined the group doing 600s. We were to do 4.
    First one (okay), second (tough), third (I need to lie down), fourth (I'm seeing stars). The pace got faster for each one. The fourth rep I pulled up after 400 meters, I thought I was going to die, took a few seconds of a break and then just charged the last 200. (turns out this was my fastest rep). Was really annoyed with myself so did a 5th one. :(
    A bit disappointed with the session, it just felt like like hard work - I know they're supposed to be hard, but I just found it tough tough tough. All I know is that I'm going to have to do a lot more of these to improve my shorter distance races.

Wednesday 12 Dec
    Had the morning off so I ran over to Marlay, did a loop there and back. 8 miles total, pace 8:13. The first 4 miles felt sluggish, but the last 4 were quite effortless.

A loop of the green is 600m, you guys were doing 800s and the other group 600s. The first one of these sessions is always tough, because you don't know how to pace yourself. You go out too hard on the first rep and it catches up with you later. Next time you do them you'll rein in the effort on the early reps - probably too much, and you'll be fastest on the last rep. It'll take a few weeks before you can do them all fast and all at the same pace.
    But it will really help you in the shorter races, you'll know how hard to go in a 5k with some practice at these.

RayCun wrote: »
    A loop of the green is 600m, you guys were doing 800s and the other group 600s. The first one of these sessions is always tough, because you don't know how to pace yourself. You go out too hard on the first rep and it catches up with you later. Next time you do them you'll rein in the effort on the early reps - probably too much, and you'll be fastest on the last rep. It'll take a few weeks before you can do them all fast and all at the same pace.
    But it will really help you in the shorter races, you'll know how hard to go in a 5k with some practice at these.

I really need to start listening at the club sessions! Nobody listens and then everyone is saying 'what did he say, what are we doing'. :rolleyes::)

Nobody listens and then everyone is saying 'what did he say, what are we doing'. :rolleyes::)

Typical gaggle of wans then? :pac:

• Advertisement

Great run today and well done on the sub-21. You should come to the northside more often :p

Advertisement