Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Just catching up with your log K, great running going on. Congrats on the BHAA xc race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thursday Dec 13
    Club session, tempo run. Ended up running with another runner who is a similar pace to me and one of the coaches. We were going at a nice pace, around 7:30 ish and he pushed us for one mile mid way. Pace was 7:15 for this. Was tough in parts, but managed to have a conversation all the way around so it can't have been too bad. Pace overall was 7:47

Friday Dec 14
    Rest day

Sat Dec 15
    Parkrun in Malahide. Was supposed to do this run the week previously, but my sidekick Shaz and I were both suffering with colds and coughs so I felt that I wouldn't be giving this my best shot. Fast forward a week and I was in the car at 8:30am Malahide bound. My realistic goal was sub 21, figured it would be a nice way to end the year.
    Hopped out of the car, met S, a quick stretch or two, 10 second race briefing, jog down to the start line and before I knew it we were off. Like literally... I was busy chatting to somebody, the gun went off and I had a mad scramble trying to overtake people. (that'll teach me! :rolleyes:)
    The course is pretty decent a few inclines (one that you endure 3 times). My aim was to go out fast (not too fast) and just try to hold on. The first mile again was too fast 6:20, not sure what I can do about that though.
    The only thought that was getting me around was that it would all be over in 21/22 mins or so and that there was a scone and coffee with my name on it in Avoca! Forgot to stop the garmin at the finish, but I was judging that I was about 21:03. I won't lie, I was a bit disappointed to have missed out again, but was determined that I would be back and that I would do better.
    Delighted to get a text on Saturday afternoon with my proper time of 20:59! So sweet! :)

Sunday Dec 16
    'Recovery' run of 7 miles. Pace was 8:14. Should have run slower, especially as I met my coach during the run and he hinted that I should be taking it easy.

Monday Dec 17
    Day off yesterday so before I hit the shops to buy Santa presents, I needed to get a run in to get me focused! :cool: 3 miles over to Marlay, 2 laps there and then home. 10 miles covered pace 8:25. Really comfortable run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant running jcsmum, congrats on the sub 21! Training is going really well, what's the next target for 2013?

RubyK wrote: »
    Brilliant running jcsmum, congrats on the sub 21! Training is going really well, what's the next target for 2013?

Actually I've a few xc races & Raheny 5 mile in January. Lots to keep me busy. What about yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

jcsmum wrote: »
    Actually I've a few xc races & Raheny 5 mile in January. Lots to keep me busy. What about yourself?

Don't know how you do those XC's :o Fair play to ya :D

Me, there's the Baldy Man Beach Run on 30/12, then Dungarvan 10 miler end of Jan, will try to get a half mara in early March, before London Marathon on 21st April. Enough to keep me focused for a few months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thursday Dec 13
    Club session, tempo run.
    'Recovery' run of 7 miles. Pace was 8:14. Should have run slower, especially as I met my coach during the run and he hinted that I should be taking it easy.

The coach has some cheek, because Thursdays are not supposed to be tempo runs :rolleyes:
    (and on a tempo run, you shouldn't be chatting :);))

RayCun wrote: »
    The coach has some cheek, because Thursdays are not supposed to be tempo runs :rolleyes:
    (and on a tempo run, you shouldn't be chatting :);))

Wrong coach, it was E I was referring to on Thursday. P on Sunday. :)

Wrong coach, it was E I was referring to on Thursday. P on Sunday. :)

E! He must have thought you were slacking on Tuesday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on the sub 21 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 21 :D
    +1......jealous.com :D

• Advertisement

+1......jealous.com :D

I'd say you won't be jealous for long!

Tue Dec 18
    Club session (prep for Raheny). The plan was 1 mile at race pace (3 min recovery jog), 2 miles race pace, recovery, 1 mile race pace, recovery, 1 mile race pace.
    We started this session late, with the jog down to the start point and the chatting that goes on beforehand :). I was about to launch into my 5th mile when somebody told me that it was 2 mins to 8oc - the kids training ends at 8 and I was over a mile away :eek:.
    Up to then the session had gone really well for me, everything fell into place & while it was tough going, I was keeping it under the 7 min mile each time. A great confidence boost for Raheny (even if it was only 4 miles and with the recovery jogs!). The 800s of last week are a distant memory.

4 miles plus legging it back to the kids :)

4 miles plus legging it back to the kids :)

He was the last man standing - and covered in muck :rolleyes:

:pac: so I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

He was the last man standing - and covered in muck :rolleyes:

That'll be that Kerry blood running through his veins. :D

Happy Christmas btw!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That'll be that Kerry blood running through his veins. :D

Happy Christmas btw!:)

Says a Limerick man :rolleyes:.

Happy Christmas btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Says a Limerick man :rolleyes:.

Happy Christmas btw! :)

I could get into this but I won't suffice to say there's more muck than concrete in both Kerry and Clare. :) (Don't start me on the man from Sixmilebridge who had the arranged marriage to the goat)

I better update this as I'll probably have all the runs forgotten if I leave it go any longer (old age and all :rolleyes:)

Thursday Dec 20th
    Club session run
    6.35 miles pace of 8:20 (not much to be said about this really)

Friday Dec 21
    Rest day, work lunch and drinks.... lots of really good food and drink!

Saturday Dec 22
    Run over to work to collect my car. Beautiful morning, wore way too much clothes. Wind was at my back the whole way but I did include a few nice hills (Ballally up to Sandyford), so it wasn't all 'cheating' :) 7.65 miles pace 8:08

Sunday Dec 23
    After a lovely boozy lengthy ladies lunch in town on Saturday, it was great to get out again yesterday and work off all those many many calories.
    7 miles, pace 8:25.

Monday Dec 24
    4 miles @ 7.46

Wed Dec 26
    8 miles (the last 4 in lashing rain) pace 8.23

Thur Dec 27
    6 miles pace 8.14

• Advertisement

Time to update this log eventhough there isn't much to report on

Saturday Dec 29th
    Down in Kerry for the new year so no running done apart from this day. Decided to make it count so 10 miles at 7:57 pace. Ran around Muckross which has a few nice short sharp inclines. Literally sprinted the last mile and a half as I had thought that the road down to the car was lit up...... which it wasn't. It was so dark, could have crashed into a deer or something!

Wed Jan 2
    Yes, THREE whole days rest. Can't say I enjoyed the rest, I just itch to get out running. :rolleyes: 7 miles at 8:33 pace. The legs were pretty dead for this one, maybe the hills from Sat were still in them.

Thursday Jan 3
    Had the day off so decided to go for an LSR in the morning. 13 miles covered, 8:30 pace. Enjoyed this one, legs felt grand again.

2012 was a great running year for me - joining the running club, staying injury free, covering 1,879.6 miles (most of them decent) with a good few PBs thrown in.

So much to accomplish in 2013 - the two main goals are a sub 3.30 marathon which I am confident about and a sub 20 5k which I am less confident about. Looking forward to working on my speedwork with the club and getting some of those shorter race times down and also looking towards a marthon in Cork (possibly) and Berlin (definitely). :)

Friday Jan 4
    Got out of work early so took the opportunity to go for a run. 5 miles pace 8:34. Legs felt a bit heavy for this one.

Saturday Jan 5
    BHAA xc Tymon Park, 2 miles. At times I question why I'm doing xc, but I know they are useful in building up some stamina in my running. Met a few club mates, 3 other ladies from the club running (all first timers I think), started too many rows back. I really need to listen to Ray more :rolleyes:(sorry Ray), spend the first few 100 meters tripping my way to get into a position and a rhythm. The course itself wasn't too bad a few inclines/declines but very little mud to contend with and the weather was really nice. Again, started too fast and made the mistake of bringing the garmin as everytime I looked at it, I couldn't believe how little distance I had covered. :rolleyes: Died a death in the last quarter of a mile and lost 3 places :( My time was 14:04 and I was position 25 out of 79. To be honest I'm not entirely happy with that, I feel that I'm struggling to pace myself properly. This xc sure is a learning curve! I'll get there.

Sunday Jan 6
    Didn't get out til late as OH was golfing. Had planned on a recovery run, thought I might have trouble holding myself back but I needn't have worried, the legs were delighted with the slower pace, they were still a bit tight. 5 miles covered, pace 8:58

Monday Jan 7
    Early 6:30am run. Felt very awake and enthusiastic for this one :), so decided to do some sprints. Warm up of a half mile and then for the next 3 miles, I did 8 fast reps (2-3 mins) with 2 min recoveries. I wasn't really measuring this accurately, it was just about doing a bit more speedwork and trying to keep each rep with the same effort. 5 miles covered, 8:23 pace.

I really need to listen to Ray more

I think everyone could learn from this :cool:

I was muttering this as I nearly tripped and fell into the ditch on Saturday. And I hadn't even 100 meters covered. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Monday Jan 7
    Early 6:30am run. Felt very awake and enthusiastic for this one :), so decided to do some sprints. Warm up of a half mile and then for the next 3 miles, I did 8 fast reps (2-3 mins) with 2 min recoveries. I wasn't really measuring this accurately, it was just about doing a bit more speedwork and trying to keep each rep with the same effort. 5 miles covered, 8:23 pace.

I was out at 6:27 and actually wondered would we cross paths! Unfortunately I wasn't feeling as hot as you were!!

You had a pretty good 2012 yourself - long may the hard training and good results continue! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sunday?

Sunday?

Sunday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sunday.

I wasn't asking you. I'd expect you out supporting your team though.:p

I've told everyone Donore are supplying cake afterwards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Indeed Mr Chairman. Seems like we will have to do a lot of that listening for the next while......better than listening to me anyway......

Advertisement