Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I don't think there's any doubt it's making you stronger (physically & mentally) and not to mention quicker.
    In GAA terms you'd be considered to be 'wintering well'!!

You gotta love those GAA terms! :)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    She's definitely 'Weathering' :)

Down with that sort of thing! :rolleyes:

Wednesday Jan 16
    Really pushed for time and didn't get out until nearly 9.30pm :eek: so kept this one short and .....
    4 miles at 7:52 - this didn't feel great, threw in a few hills/inclines and it was drizzly and windy.

Thursday Jan 17
    Club session 'easy' run. I had intended on taking it easy, 8:30 ish pace but ended up running with one of my xc team mates and we pushed the pace ever so slightly. 5.5 miles 8:15 pace
    Wouldn't say I enjoyed this one either. Legs do not feel great.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

How was the club session this eve - hope you gave them socks :)

How was the club session this eve - hope you gave them socks :)

Sob sob, I couldn't even get that right. :( My volunteering with the kids training last night never happened as their training was cancelled due to the weather. Wasn't well enough to train with the grown ups!
    At least I got to feel like some bit of a runner as JC called me 'coach' all day yesterday. :)

Hoping to head out this afternoon for an easy one. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

jcsmum wrote: »
    Sob sob, I couldn't even get that right. :( My volunteering with the kids training last night never happened as their training was cancelled due to the weather. Wasn't well enough to train with the grown ups!
    At least I got to feel like some bit of a runner as JC called me 'coach' all day yesterday. :)

Hope you are feeling better and managed to get out K:)
    I've been so worried about the Officer and the manflu....I neglected to check in on you, sorry.
    I imagine you've been feeling unwell because like all of us you are so worried about digger;)

• Advertisement

This afternoon, do you do no work at all :p. As long as you don't start watching Midday or Dr Phil like other people who shall remain nameless ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Hope you are feeling better and managed to get out K:)
    I've been so worried about the Officer and the manflu....I neglected to check in on you, sorry.
    I imagine you've been feeling unwell because like all of us you are so worried about digger;)

Don't you worry about it O. Now that digger is back running again, I was able to stop worrying, concentrate on getting better and managed my first run last night. :)

This afternoon, do you do no work at all :p. As long as you don't start watching Midday or Dr Phil like other people who shall remain nameless ;)

Okay okay, I meant evening.

Wednesday Jan 23
    AFTER work I headed out for my first run in 6 days. Surprisingly it went much better than expected. Had planned on 4 or 5 steady miles, but everything felt so good that I managed 6, pace 8:22
    (made the mistake of coughing on the last mile, thought I'd cough up a lung before I got home)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great to see that you are feeling better jcsmum!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

You racing on Sunday? My PB is feeling a little threatened!

• Advertisement

Having had a rubbish week of minimal running and trying toget over my cold, all eyes were on the Raheny 5 mile. I did have a slow/steady group run with the club on Thursday and then an easy 3 mileraround the Tallaght track while the little man was training with the kids fromthe club.

One of the club coaches offered to pace me around the course,a guy who had come second in Raheny in the 80’s with a time of 23:4x, a formermarathon winner and so all I could think of was PRESSURE and of course on theflip side, being totally flattered. I wouldbe an idiot to refuse and he kept assuring me that sub 35 (even sub 34) wascertain. Me, I wasn’t quite so sure.

I’m not going to go into the whole race description, becauseI’ve been trying since I crossed the finish line to put it firmly to the backof my mind never to be relived again. While my time was 35:56 (a PB forme) and looks pretty good on paper, I had a nightmare race. I started too fast and just had a meltdown.Still have no idea how I got to the finish line.

I am struggling a bit with racing despite everything going wellfor me in training. I just need to getthe enjoyment (which I did have before DCM) back into my racing again. Next target race is Ballycotton and I mighttry and ‘RUN’ a few xc races before then. I’mgoing to take a step back from boards for a while, until I sort myself out andfigure out what is going wrong for me – be it physical or emotional. Of course I will still be nosing around inother people’s logs. I will be trainingaway, doing club sessions, racing and hopefully will get to where I want to be.

Have had a lot of encouragement and support and great advicefrom numerous people since yesterday, so I’m definitely not lacking in thegood running buddies department. I havea lot to think on.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sorry to hear the race didn't go to plan K but if you were under the weather during the week I wouldn't be looking too much further for excuses. You are more or less at full tilt from the start in a 5 miler so if you are slightly off your bound to feel it and it may hit you harder than you think.

There is no issue with the training you put in thats for sure so chin up. Good to have a quick catch up before the race yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the race didn't go to plan K but if you were under the weather during the week I wouldn't be looking too much further for excuses. You are more or less at full tilt from the start in a 5 miler so if you are slightly off your bound to feel it and it may hit you harder than you think.

There is no issue with the training you put in thats for sure so chin up. Good to have a quick catch up before the race yesterday.
    +1. See my report of Dungarvan for further gruesome details :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sorry to hear about that, as you know I had you down as a cert for sub 34 so I was surprised to see the result.
    I can only imagine your sickness played a big part in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah K, I feel your pain. I've found cross country a great release from the stress of road racing. Concentrate on your training, it'll come together in races.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Sorry to hear you didn't get the rewards your training deserved. But you will get the rewards, that there is no doubt

Maybe there was no scones or cakes waiting for you at the finish line????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Hope it all gets sorted out, keep plugging away in training and it will come together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm so sorry the race didn't go to plan K, you really deserved a good race with all the hard work you've been putting in. As everyone else has said the fact that you had been unwell will have played a huge part in how you ran.

This is going to sound cheesy but I really think that we learn a lot more about ourselves as runners from a bad run/race than we do from a good one (although the good ones are great:)). While it is important to figure out why your race didn't go well on Sunday it is even more important to take the positives from the day..... you may have had a meltdown but you finished and you got a PB. And you are still a great runner:)

Sorry to hear your race didn't go as planned, no doubt you'll rectify that in no time :) (it was still a supertime, one I could only dream about ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Having had a rubbish week of minimal running and trying toget over my cold, all eyes were on the Raheny 5 mile. I did have a slow/steady group run with the club on Thursday and then an easy 3 mileraround the Tallaght track while the little man was training with the kids fromthe club.

One of the club coaches offered to pace me around the course,a guy who had come second in Raheny in the 80’s with a time of 23:4x, a formermarathon winner and so all I could think of was PRESSURE and of course on theflip side, being totally flattered. I wouldbe an idiot to refuse and he kept assuring me that sub 35 (even sub 34) wascertain. Me, I wasn’t quite so sure.

I’m not going to go into the whole race description, becauseI’ve been trying since I crossed the finish line to put it firmly to the backof my mind never to be relived again. While my time was 35:56 (a PB forme) and looks pretty good on paper, I had a nightmare race. I started too fast and just had a meltdown.Still have no idea how I got to the finish line.

I am struggling a bit with racing despite everything going wellfor me in training. I just need to getthe enjoyment (which I did have before DCM) back into my racing again. Next target race is Ballycotton and I mighttry and ‘RUN’ a few xc races before then. I’mgoing to take a step back from boards for a while, until I sort myself out andfigure out what is going wrong for me – be it physical or emotional. Of course I will still be nosing around inother people’s logs. I will be trainingaway, doing club sessions, racing and hopefully will get to where I want to be.

Have had a lot of encouragement and support and great advicefrom numerous people since yesterday, so I’m definitely not lacking in thegood running buddies department. I havea lot to think on.......

Have you changed your training plan lately, as something new is good. Also did you take a break after Dublin? A break is the best thing to get your enjoyment back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    as you know I had you down as a cert for sub 34 .

How much did you lose in the side bet? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    How much did you lose in the side bet? ;)

Nobody was willing to be against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

K, sorry you didn't get the time you & your training deserved, but you did get a fab time and a PB. You hadn't run in 6 days and you were recovering from illness and you might have been feeling pressure from your "superstar" pacer....
    But if you're not happy with your time this wont make any difference to you (IYKWIM)...Keep the chin up and keep going with your great training and it will come together in the next race...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Hope you get the enjoyment back into your racing K. We've all had races that just left us head-wrecked and frustrated...keep at it, the next one will be better (honest :)), mind yourself.

Thanks everyone for all the words of wisdom. Is a week long enough of an abstinence? I need somewhere to throw up my training runs (that's the OCD in me) - won't be racing for a while so I guess it's safe enough to just log these....

Monday Jan 28th
    5 head clearing wild and blustery miles pace 8:46

Tuesday Jan 29th
    Rest day

Wednesday Jan 30th
    Didn't get out until after 9pm (not a fan of running late), so 4 miles pace 8:17. Legs feeling better.

Thursday Jan 31st
    Club hill session. We ran up to the hill over the top and down the other side: I was tired at this stage and the session hadn't even started yet. The plan involved 5 reps of running up one side, crossing the road and jogging done the other side. Tagged on to the back of the first group who left a few stragglers for dead after seconds. There was one guy just ahead of me and one guy behind so I was determined to keep my place. The first rep was really awful, lots of self doubt 'why didn't you go in the second group, there's no way you'll do 5 of these, your legs are too tired from Raheny.. blah blah blah'. I'm thinking there's a theme here :rolleyes:. Glad to say I got stronger with each rep and was maintaining an even effort each time. The wind and hailstone which luckily were on the descent only added to the experience. Really positive session for me. 6 miles covered.

Friday Feb 1
    5 miles around the block. Can't remember the pace but I think the legs were tired for this one.

Saturday Feb 2
    Joined Ray and some other club members for a hill session in Tymon park. Jogged down to the park with another of the ladies. Plan was run up a 200 meter hill, walk down half way, jog the rest of the way down, run up.... 30 mins, no rest breaks. It meant everyone could do their own quantity and pace and we were constantly passing each other so it was never lonely. Lost track of the number I did but again, even effort and a great workout. Home by 9:45 am. Super start to the day.

Sunday Feb 3
    Havn't done an LSR in a while, so headed off at 8:30 for this one (was under instructions to be home by 10:30 ish :)) I wasn't sure how the legs would be faring after the hill session and after a creaky mile or two, the pace picked up a little and all was well. I decided to do one big loop, so I ran over to the Grange Road, to Dundrum, under the luas bridge up to Churchtown, up the Braemor Road and into Terenure and then towards home. Wasn't keeping much of an eye on pace and felt it might not be so great. The last few miles into a windy Firhouse road nearly finished me off, but the thoughts of home and food kept me going! Arrived home at exactly 10:30 14 miles covered at a really pleasing pace of 8:36 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You did 15 uphills, same as me (even though I told you to stop :) )
    The sessions are good on their own, but they're also good for wearing you out so that the long run the next day is on tired legs - great marathon training.

Welcome back ;)

Good to see you back :)

Monday Feb 4th
    Rest day

Tuesday Feb 5th
    Club session 400s x12. I think there were about 80 of us doing this, in our various groups. Was looking forward to this session as I have enjoyed it in the past. Found it pretty tough last night but managed to keep the reps at a pretty even pace. I think there was about 8 of us in the group and we just seemed to spur each other on by sticking together. The legs were tired from the weekend, so I was happy when the final rep was done.
    Nearly 6 miles covered

Wednesday Feb 6th
    Out at 6.30am. Delighted to see the absence of frost on the ground and the fact that it was semi-mild. Though I'd be suffering all the way around for this but thankfully 6 miles done pace 7:58 :) (not sure where that came from!)

Also in my state of despair last week, I got my bloods taken - I got the results last night and I am borderline anemic so a course of iron tablets for the next 6 weeks will hopefully help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great to get a diagnosis. Lots of red meat and green veg and those tablets should sort you out.

Advertisement