Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »

Also in my state of despair last week, I got my bloods taken - I got the results last night and I am borderline anemic so a course of iron tablets for the next 6 weeks will hopefully help.

Claralara take 2! :) Sub 3 in Berlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Claralara take 2! :) Sub 3 in Berlin?

None of that if you please. :rolleyes:
    Also where the hell is your log? I got to page 4...... no sign. Everything okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm on the iron too, couple of days and you'll start feeling the benefits:D
    good to see you back and you're flying!!

None of that if you please. :rolleyes:
    Also where the hell is your log? I got to page 4...... no sign. Everything okay?

Just so that it doesn't look like I'm ignoring you.

Throat Infection, antibiotics, misery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Did a very wise person not tell you lately to drink Guinness before a race :D...obviously I was thinking of the infamous iron content ;). See you should have listened!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hope the iron does the trick - powerful stuff that :D
    (does it count as PED?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

There'll be no stopping you when that iron kicks in :eek::D

Thursday Feb 7th
    Easy group run with the club - over 6 miles covered, 9 min miles

Friday Feb 8th
    5 miles in the afternoon, the pace was all over the place for this one, some fast miles, some not-so-fast, average pace 7:59 (legs a little bit tired for this one)

Sat Feb 9th
    Tymon park hill session with 6 other club members. Found this one easier than last weeks, so that was positive. 15 reps done in total, 2.5 miles warm up, 1.5 miles cool down, 8 miles total covered.

Sunday Feb 10th
    Action replay from last week, with a slightly tweaked route. 14.5 miles covered, pace 8:31 - lashed rain from start to finish. Again, started to lag in the last few miles - couldn't feel my hands or legs, it was difficult to undo my laces when I got home. Delighted to get it done though.

Monday Feb 11th
    Got the first opportunity to run to work this morning, so took it. :) What a glorious morning too :rolleyes:.
    6.63 miles covered, pace 8:38 (yes, should have been more of a recovery pace, but I really just wanted to get indoors and get some coffee into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good to see you found out the problem and hope you have the solution to it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I think we passed you on Sunday morning as we were heading south for our LSR - at about 8:30 running over the M50 bridge towards Marlay?! It was soooo horrible out! Ugh. Lovely to see we're all as sadistic as each other! :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    I think we passed you on Sunday morning as we were heading south for our LSR - at about 8:30 running over the M50 bridge towards Marlay?! It was soooo horrible out! Ugh. Lovely to see we're all as sadistic as each other! :)

Yeah that was me alright. I'm never alone in the crazy runner department! That was some session on Sunday that you both did - and after a week of skiing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great training jcsmum, what's next on this racing calander for you? :)

RubyK wrote: »
    There'll be no stopping you when that iron kicks in :eek::D

Must resist 'getting your iron' jokes :P

RubyK wrote: »
    Great training jcsmum, what's next on this racing calander for you? :)

Um, I don't know ;)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Must resist 'getting your iron' jokes :P

:rolleyes:

Tuesday Feb 12
    Hill session with the club. A nice 1.5 mile jog up to hill, over it and down to the bottom. 5 reps of running up (500 meters or so), cross the road and jog back down. About 70+ of us in total, all suffering together. I was in the second group with about 7 and it definitely helped me running in a group. I find I am constantly having to talk to myself though on the ascent, trying to stay positive & calm, trying to control my breathing.
    It didn't help that the speedy guys were talking and joking on the way up the hill - obviously not working hard enough :rolleyes:
    Anyway a nice tough character building session. 6 miles covered

Wednesday Feb 13
    Run from work to home. Looked out of the window before I left and figured that I might just get home before the rain which unfortunately I didn't. Rain, I can handle but the wind was against me the entire time which made it a very tough run. Ran around my estate a little to round it up to 7 miles, pace 8:29

Time to log a few more runs

Thursday Feb 14
    Easy run with the club. Joined a group of 7 others for 5 miles at 8:30 pace. A really nice enjoyable run with great company.
    With run to/from meeting spot 6.5 miles covered

Friday Feb 15
    As I was taking Sunday (my LSR day) as a rest day, I took the opportunity to run to and from work to hike up the weekly mileage.
    Home to work: 6.75 miles, pace 8:02. This started off a big sluggish, but after a mile or two I got into a decent rhythm and towards the end I was bounding along at 7:40 min pace. A sharp incline of about 400 meters soon put a stop to that, but then it was downhill all the way to the office.

Work to home: 6.64 miles, pace 8:12. This run was like an action replay of this morning, again a mile or two to get going.

Saturday Feb 16
    Tymon park hill session with 5 other club members. 2.5 mile jog down, slightly faster than I had planned as I thought I was going to be late. 14 reps up a 200 meter (ish) hill, walk down half way, jog down to the bottom. I hadn't timed myself on the reps the last few weeks. One lady who was a second or two ahead of me last week, said we were in the late 40's. Happy to say that 95% of the reps on Saturday were 46 seconds. Happy to have increased the speed a little and also to be maintaining a consistent pace.

Travelled over to Santry on Sat and Sunday to cheer the little man on in his races, 500m on Sat and 60m sprints on Sunday. My son is a little ball of energy, but (like his mother) he has a lot to learn about pacing! Saturday's race for him was a bit all over the place but yesterday he came 4th in his heat - he was chuffed. He like all the other kids running over the weekend have the best attitudes!
    Amazing running by the club over there. Brought me back..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

200 meter (ish) hill

I have 5.88km for 15 times up and down, works out at 196m for one rep. Garmin would measure that short, so I reckon it must be very close to 200m.

Do you have a previous life on the track?

RayCun wrote: »
    I have 5.88km for 15 times up and down, works out at 196m for one rep. Garmin would measure that short, so I reckon it must be very close to 200m.

Do you have a previous life on the track?

Not on a track, we weren't that sophisticated.... GAA fields only! Just reminded me of when I used to run for the local club when in national school. Ah memories.....

Monday Feb 18
    A run with one of the guys from the club last night. Had planned on 5 or 6 miles, but ended up doing 7 (the OCD in me had me circling the estate!). Found this run tough in patches (thanks to the windy Firhouse road & really tired legs despite a rest day on Sunday), but managed to chat all the way around and we averaged a pace of 8:18. Was lovely to have the company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

(thanks to the windy Firhouse road)

Thankfully we ran down this for a change.. There is some weird eco system going on there! :D

Monday Feb 18
    A run with one of the guys from the club last night. Had planned on 5 or 6 miles, but ended up doing 7 (the OCD in me had me circling the estate!). Found this run tough in patches (thanks to the windy Firhouse road & really tired legs despite a rest day on Sunday), but managed to chat all the way around and we averaged a pace of 8:18. Was lovely to have the company.

Sorry are we supposed to be surprised you managed to chat all the way around :p.

Good running K, keep it up.

Tuesday Feb 19
    800s x6. The last time I did these with the club (which was also my first) was pretty horrendous. My times weren't bad but I gradually got slower and more disheartened with each one. Not good memories, so was not looking forward to these last night. After a w/u over to the green and a lap of a warm up, we got stuck in. Some of these I did as a group, others I fell behind the first part of the group or surged ahead of the second part but each time I felt in control. I wasn't trying to catch anyone in particular but there were a few people I wanted to stay close to. I was working hard but by the end of each rep I was ready for the next one.
    My times for each one are 3:15, 3:17, 3:19, 3:21, 3:22 and 3:16. Am delighted with the last one, worked in a group with 2 others and while we were dying at times, we just pushed each other on and I finished quite strong. It's good to know the times are pretty consistent and if I was told I'd have to do a few more reps it wouldn't have killed me! :)
    Cool down 1.5 miles. Total miles covered 7.

Wednesday Feb 20
    Rolled out of the leaba at 6am and am I glad I did. Beautiful morning and a really nice run. Thought the legs would be suffering a bit from last night but they were moving pretty nicely - 8:19 pace. 6.5 miles covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

God you're a glutton for punishment- running again less than 12 hours after last night's session- fair play.
    My HR didn't return to normal for a few hours after the 800s- I'm in a heap here today so am glad it's a rest day.

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    God you're a glutton for punishment- running again less than 12 hours after last night's session- fair play.
    My HR didn't return to normal for a few hours after the 800s- I'm in a heap here today so am glad it's a rest day.

I won't get the chance to run this evening, so it was this morning or nothing. I had intended a recovery type run thinking the legs would be shot, but was happy to be able to pick up the pace.
    Actually this morning felt a lot easier than Monday's run and the pace is the same. :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What duration recovery did ye have in between intervals?
    Actually this morning felt a lot easier than Monday's run and the pace is the same.

I think everything is relative in a situation like this. Because your legs were moving so quick last night a relatively slow recovery run the next day is still pretty quick and easy!

belcarra wrote: »
    What duration recovery did ye have in between intervals?

I think everything is relative in a situation like this. Because your legs were moving so quick last night a relatively slow recovery run the next day is still pretty quick and easy!

I don't think we were given an official recovery time but I reckon about 2 mins max. There were about 80 of us there all in different groups so it was really each man for himself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You're flying it.....great stuff :D:D

Thursday Feb 21
    Easy group run with the club - 6 miles covered total. Wasn't bothered about pace for this one, just nice to run in company.

Friday Feb 22
    Early one this morning, wanted to up the pace for this so figured I'd be happy with 8 min miles. 5.5 miles covered pace 7:50 :) Can't say I didn't find the last mile tough though, but happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Any races entered in the near future?

Advertisement