Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Any races entered in the near future?

All her focus at the moment is on trying to stay with her fellow 2hr pacer in Wexford Half Marathon!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

belcarra wrote: »
    All her focus at the moment is on trying to stay with her fellow 2hr pacer in Wexford Half Marathon!:D

Enjoy the Wexford half, if ye to know anything about the town for staying or going out, give us a shout.

Enjoy the Wexford half, if ye to know anything about the town for staying or going out, give us a shout.

It'll be a down on the morning, return after the race type of day for me but thanks for the offer of info anyways AR!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

It'll be a down on the morning, return after the race type of day for me but thanks for the offer of info anyways AR!

+1 :)

Harsh J, very harsh!
    Competitive? Me? I'll just kick you in the shins and cross the line before you! :cool:

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Competitive? Me? I'll just kick you in the shins and cross the line before you! :cool:

I'll be promoting the fact that my initials are JC...just so you know in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Training going great jcsmum :)

I'll be promoting the fact that my initials are JC...just so you know in advance!

MrSlow's radar must be broken - thought he'd be in here like a shot with all his old person quips! :rolleyes:

Saturday Feb 23
    Hill session in Tymon park. As per last week reps of 200 meter hill, walk halfway back down, jog down to the bottom - 30 mins non stop. Happy to say that I was one whole second faster on the reps this week. :D And I did an extra rep - did not want to be outdone by the speedy guys.
    Am really enjoying this session.
    With w/u and c/d - 9 miles covered.

Headed over to the track in Tallaght in the afternoon to watch JC compete in the U10 relay. I had to laugh, he was second to run and he was down on the track at his marker with a hat, gloves & coat on him :rolleyes:. I made JCsdad run down to tell him to take off a layer or two of clothes! They didn't qualify in their heat but the little man ran well.
    Met the Queen of the Universe aka MS in the carpark on our way home - we were honoured to be in the presence of greatness.

Sunday Feb 24
    Decided to go on the group run with the club for the first time. The Sunday group runs were a year old yesterday and a group of the Sunday runners had organised some tea and cake after the run. The meeting point was covered in balloons and signs. (that's just the kind of club we are :)) Many, many photos were taken before we all headed off in our different groups. I had company for 8.5 miles which was great. 10 miles total 8:36 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Sunday Feb 24
    Decided to go on the group run with the club for the first time. The Sunday group runs were a year old yesterday and a group of the Sunday runners had organised some tea and cake after the run. The meeting point was covered in balloons and signs. (that's just the kind of club we are :)) Many, many photos were taken before we all headed off in our different groups. I had company for 8.5 miles which was great. 10 miles total 8:36 pace.[/Quote]

You should have come down for some cake!

• Advertisement

Deedee2012 wrote: »

You should have come down for some cake!

I had to let somebody go golfing after the run, but it looked like a yummy spread!

Monday Feb 25
    Hadn't planned on a rest day but I was shattered after work and as my Monday running buddy from last week had already had his run, I decided to sit on the couch instead.

Tuesday Feb 26
    Hill session with the club. Run from meeting spot up to the hill, up over the hill and down the other side (which counts as 1 rep :p). 5 reps then of running up the hill (over 500m) and jog down the other side of the road. These are tough tough tough. I've never bothered to time a rep as I just want to make it up in one piece and stick with a few people of similar or slighly faster pace. I don't need to know how fast I'm doing these - I know I'm working hard!
    6 miles total.

Wednesday Feb 27
    Day off work, so decided to get a semi longish run in. Was meeting a friend for lunch in Rathgar so decided to run there and home. Tacked on a few miles over there to make it up to 7 (pace 8:22) - Luckily I have the nicest friend who ate with me in spite of my sweaty, dishevelled appearance. After a yummy lunch, I ran the direcct route home, 4 miles (pace 8:21)

Had a physio session last night - my calves were in dire need of some TLC. I blame those hill sessions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow :) I hear you were telling some awful untruths about my Boston goal time to a certain CF!! For the purposes of clarity, I will be happy with a PB if I can even manage that on the day :-/

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow :) I hear you were telling some awful untruths about my Boston goal time to a certain CF!! For the purposes of clarity, I will be happy with a PB if I can even manage that on the day :-/

Don't mind C, he's a messer that one! :rolleyes:

Thursday Feb 28
    Easy run with the club. We had to cut this one short to celebrate our club member's victory at the indoor 400 meters!
    4.5 miles @8:45 pace

Friday March 1
    Got out of work early so decided a 6 or 7 miler might be nice before I picked up the kids, seeing as it was such a glorious evening. Things were ticking nicely for the first mile or so, then my legs turned into two big lumps of lead. It felt like I was literally dragging them along the ground. I seemed to be plodding along eventhough the pace was pretty decent. Started to panic a bit. Had just over 5 (horrible) miles done by the time I had a pit stop at the PO. After a few mins of waiting there and a stretch, I set off again and it was like everything was right in the world again. 2 miles to pick up the kids and these 2 miles were great.
    7 miles, pace 8:17

Sat March 2
    Rest day

Sunday March 3
    Ballycotton 10 miler. After a spate of racing disasters I just wanted to run well, finish strong and most importantly enjoy this. Because I didn't put any pressure on myself (a goal time or otherwise), I was really relaxed going into the race. Travelled down to BC with a bunch of laid back club mates and the atmosphere down there is just great. We arrived in BC 2.5 hours before the start of the race but with alot of female faffing around, we didn't have time to do a warmup or even have do a stretch of any kind :rolleyes:

I was totally unprepared for the mayhem of the starting area. I was so far back, it took 1m30s to get to the starting clock and I spent the first 2 miles ducking, diving and weaving from side to side - all on narrow country roads. I was hoping for a sub 75 but with the slow start I was a good bit down on this after the first few miles. Then again, maybe the slow start worked to my advantage - it meant that I was relaxed, maybe too relaxed.
    I'm not going to do the mile by mile analysis - all I can say is that miles 1-10 passed by without a hitch. I was overtaking for 99% of the race. I felt comfortable, strong and really happy. I know I could have pushed the pace a bit more but I was conscious of the hill for the last mile and a bit. I needn't have worried, the hill wasn't an issue for me and once I saw the 1k marking on the road, I just went for it.
    Chip time 74:30 - chuffed to bits!
    Fabulous day out with the club - enjoyed the journey down and back no end! :)

Now if I can only bottle this positivity and use it for all future races!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

:D:D:D.
    Well done you, it can be hard to get the mojo back after a few unsatisfactory races and running is much, much more than just PBs so I'm thrilled for you K, very well deserved result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Marthastew wrote: »
    Well done you, it can be hard to get the mojo back after a few unsatisfactory races and running is much, much more than just PBs so I'm thrilled for you K, very well deserved result.
    +1
    Brilliant K. Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Marthastew wrote: »

++1
    Well done, sounds like a lovely relaxed sunday run:D thats great for a race with such a fab finishing time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good stuff K, glad you're enjoying racing again, and a great time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running. Nice to see the positivity!

• Advertisement

A great run in Ballycotton jcsmum, sounds like you really enjoyed it too :)

Monday March 4
    Ran with one of the guys from the club (who is faster than me), so pace was pretty sprightly for this one (probably should have ran slower after Ballycotton - but the legs were feeling okay).
    Total of 6.5 miles pace 8:18

Tuesday March 5
    400s x12 with the club along the Firhouse Road. Thought I would be sluggish at these 2 days post race, but somehow the legs held up again. I timed each rep, not so much to see the speed of each one, but just to make sure I was giving even effort each time. Another lady who ran BC and I lead our group and there is always the pressure to run strong, so I was happy to be able to do this comfortably enough. Glad to say that the session was really good for me and again confidence is really good.
    6 miles covered

Wednesday Mar 6
    Early run this morning as I won't get out after work. Tried to keep the pace steady and not push myself too much. 6 miles, pace 8:42. Really enjoyed this - I feel like I'm running a little bit differently if that makes sense. More in control I think.
    (also trying to force myself to run using Ray's straight back method - I'll get there!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thursday Feb 28
    Easy run with the club. We had to cut this one short to celebrate our club member's victory at the indoor 400 meters!
    4.5 miles @8:45 pace

Friday March 1
    Got out of work early so decided a 6 or 7 miler might be nice before I picked up the kids, seeing as it was such a glorious evening. Things were ticking nicely for the first mile or so, then my legs turned into two big lumps of lead. It felt like I was literally dragging them along the ground. I seemed to be plodding along eventhough the pace was pretty decent. Started to panic a bit. Had just over 5 (horrible) miles done by the time I had a pit stop at the PO. After a few mins of waiting there and a stretch, I set off again and it was like everything was right in the world again. 2 miles to pick up the kids and these 2 miles were great.
    7 miles, pace 8:17

Sat March 2
    Rest day

Sunday March 3
    Ballycotton 10 miler. After a spate of racing disasters I just wanted to run well, finish strong and most importantly enjoy this. Because I didn't put any pressure on myself (a goal time or otherwise), I was really relaxed going into the race. Travelled down to BC with a bunch of laid back club mates and the atmosphere down there is just great. We arrived in BC 2.5 hours before the start of the race but with alot of female faffing around, we didn't have time to do a warmup or even have do a stretch of any kind :rolleyes:

I was totally unprepared for the mayhem of the starting area. I was so far back, it took 1m30s to get to the starting clock and I spent the first 2 miles ducking, diving and weaving from side to side - all on narrow country roads. I was hoping for a sub 75 but with the slow start I was a good bit down on this after the first few miles. Then again, maybe the slow start worked to my advantage - it meant that I was relaxed, maybe too relaxed.
    I'm not going to do the mile by mile analysis - all I can say is that miles 1-10 passed by without a hitch. I was overtaking for 99% of the race. I felt comfortable, strong and really happy. I know I could have pushed the pace a bit more but I was conscious of the hill for the last mile and a bit. I needn't have worried, the hill wasn't an issue for me and once I saw the 1k marking on the road, I just went for it.
    Chip time 74:30 - chuffed to bits!
    Fabulous day out with the club - enjoyed the journey down and back no end! :)

Now if I can only bottle this positivity and use it for all future races!

When you keep aiming for times and put pressure on yourself, your mojo can easily go, or even worst you can over trained.

Just try and go out and enjoy the run as u will run your best when relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done in Ballycotton. I'd love to to it some year. I believe the start is fairly congested, so you'd get an even better time at a race with a bit more freedom to push ahead at the start (As opposed to going out too fast like some people) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on Ballycotton.... Now, keep that PMA right through the Summer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done on Sunday K. I'd say your back only you never went away. As for the training the 3 days since, we'll that's just ridiculous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done on Sunday but even better news that you felt like it was a good day at the office. Nothing like running in your own province:p

Thursday March 7
    Circuit training: One of our esteemed athletes gave a circuit training class on Thursday. We did a bunch of squats, lunges, sit-ups, planks, skipping etc.... We then did some core work and some stretches.
    This was a real eye opener for me - I have the worst core ever and really need to work on it big time. It was great to add some diversity to my training so I hope to do this class every week. (if I can get a place!)
    3 miles to/from the gym.

Friday March 8
    Rest day
    (things hurt today after yesterday, especially my upper arms :o)

Saturday March 9
    Hill session Tymon park. Thought I would be on my own at this as everyone seemed to be heading to Marlay (parkrun) or Maynooth (BHAA). Another of the ladies arrived after I had done a few reps and I was glad of the company. We matched each other on each rep and while they were a second or two down on last week, we maintained even effort. Lots of energy left in the tank after the session was over.
    8 miles covered

Sunday
    LSR 13 miles. Due to a mini mini pub crawl on Saturday, I missed the group run on Sunday morning by an hour but it wasn't too shabby heading out just after 10am. Was too lazy to plot a 13 mile route, so headed over towards Marlay, did 2 loops of St Enda's park onroute (if only to get some shelter from the breeze) and then did various loops of Marlay.
    10 miles averaging 8:40 (ish) with 3MP miles to get me from Marlay to home (semi downhill and wind to my back :)) My MP miles were a bit too quick, 7:36, 7:46 and 7:42 but it felt nice and comfortable.
    13 miles average pace 8:30

I have officially begun marathon training for Cork (12 weeks from today). I spent a lot of time devising a training plan and got a lot of constructive advice and feedback from numerous people. I suppose it's nothing different from DCM training only that some LSRs will be done after hill sessions/pace runs and I'm going to include a weekly pace run & some core work. I hope to do my LSR using HH's formula of 3:1, 3x LSR pace and 1x at MP.
    My garmin is the basic model so I can't get too creative on designing 'fancy' sessions which suits me just fine. I don't want to get too hung up on looking at the watch all the time.
    I'm just really excited and really looking forward to getting stuck into the plan and getting that sub 3:30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm just really excited and really looking forward to getting stuck
    into the plan and getting that sub 3:30

that will be no problem to you and will probably be a good bit faster too the way you are running & training at the moment :D

• Advertisement

You'll have absolutely no problem going sub 3.30! :)

Advertisement