Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Monday 11th March
    I'm at day 2 of the plan and already I've changed it around :rolleyes:. I'd say it will be a regular occurance! Had the opportunity to run with one of the guys from the club and running in company is so much nicer. We had decided (well probably I had decided) to take it more at a recovery pace, we felt we were running faster than we actually, was surprised to see the garmin was 8:40ish - it meant for once I was running at the right prescribed pace.
    6.5 miles at 8:45 pace. Love running in the cold!

Tuesday March 12
    Club hill session. 1.8 miles up to Stocking lane, up one side of the hill and down the other side to the starting point. 4 reps up, cross the road and back down the other side (each uphill measuring .3 of a mile). Coach must have been feeling a bit woozy after his 20+ miler the day before and miscounted so we ended up doing a rep less than our usual 6 (I see nobody bothered on the night to correct his mistake! :D)
    Took the long route back to base, so a total of 7 miles covered for the session.

Wednesday March 13
    A tempo run (of sorts) bright and early this morning. My plan was to run 1.5 at a comfortable (8:30) pace, 2 miles at 7:30 and then comfortable 8:30 pace again for 1.5 miles. Bearing in mind that I wasn't going to be a complete slave to the garmin, if I did this pretty accurately, my average pace should be around 8mm.
    Really happy how this went, I had no problem picking up the speed and more importantly maintaining it and it was slightly faster than planned - probably the hardest mile was the last one home.
    5 miles @ 8:00 exactly :D

Thursday March 14th
    Circuit training with the club. We had more participants this week, so more fun activities included in the circuit! I'm still rubbish at most of them, my only saving grace is that I can skip. Need to work on my core big time and my tuck jumps :o
    A great session though with lots of laughs - we were all mostly laughing at each other! (or maybe they were all just laughing at me!)

Friday March 15
    When I got help to put together my marathon plan, it was suggested that I do a pace run (5 x 7:30) before some of my LSRs. I didn't have time to do 5 at pace and include a w/u and c/d but decided that I could probably manage 4 of them (IF I could manage them). Half a mile w/u and then picked up speed, happy to see 7:23 after the first mile, 7:27, 7:29....I started to tire on the last mile but because it was the last one I just kept pushing, delighted to see 7:18 on the watch after that one.

Saturday March 16
    LSR - plan was a 15 miler with the last 4 at MP. This run went really well, it was a perfect morning and I just stayed local doing loops and loops and more loops. The first 11 miles went by without a hitch, pace 8:27 and it wasn't too much effort to pick it up for the last 4 pace 7:45

Sunday March 17
    Recovery run - had to be home by 8:45 :rolleyes: (stooopid golf), so an early 7:45 start for me and what a horrible morning it was! After a mile, picked up one club mate and after 2 miles we picked up another. The pace was perfect for me as my legs were tired after the previous few days. Did manage to pick up the pace for the last mile or so. 6 miles 9.07 pace.

Monday March 18
    Diverted from the plan for this one. Coach was doing another of his 20 mile LSRs locally so I decided to join him for some of this. Was quite conscious that my legs were still tired and I didn't want to be holding him back (he was doing 8-8:15 pace). Thankfully everything was feeling good in the morning, so the pace was not an issue. The miles whizzed by due to the great company and I hardly looked at the watch. 10.5 miles 8.00 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

That's a lot of work for a bank hol weekend, do you ever rest :-)

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    That's a lot of work for a bank hol weekend, do you ever rest :-)

It's a labour of love.... ;)

• Advertisement

Tuesday March 19
    Rest day. Was due to help out at the kids training at the club but due to the weather it was cancelled (that's the second time that's happened, are they trying to tell me something or what?!?). Was half tempted to head out for a few miles, but tiredness won the battle and I stayed put.

Wednesday March 20
    Tempo run 50 mins. Up early for this one, plan was 2 w/u miles (8:30), 2 miles at pace (7:30) and 2 c/d (8:30). I stayed pretty much on target for this apart from the 2 pace miles being too fast 7:09, 7:19.

6 miles average pace 8:05

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great training jcsmum, you don't hang around :D Speedy paces going on in this log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great pace for an early run this morning! Looking forward to seeing what the race pace really is in a couple of months.. ;)

And Im still having issues trying to understand this love you have for running in the cold?!! Its been horrible the last while. my poor fingers and toes don't even know what blood flow is anymore!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

claralara wrote: »
    Great pace for an early run this morning! Looking forward to seeing what the race pace really is in a couple of months.. ;)

I'd say your Berlin time could be in danger come September :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

jcsmum wrote: »
    Tuesday March 19
    Rest day. Was due to help out at the kids training at the club but due to the weather it was cancelled (that's the second time that's happened, are they trying to tell me something or what?!?). Was half tempted to head out for a few miles, but tiredness won the battle and I stayed put.

Wednesday March 20
    Tempo run 50 mins. Up early for this one, plan was 2 w/u miles (8:30), 2 miles at pace (7:30) and 2 c/d (8:30). I stayed pretty much on target for this apart from the 2 pace miles being too fast 7:09, 7:19.

6 miles average pace 8:05

Holy Merde, a tempo run early on a wet wintry morning, very impressive indeed:) Well done K, you're flying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Marthastew wrote: »

Holy Merde, a tempo run early on a wet wintry morning, very impressive indeed:) Well done K, you're flying

giving her confidence is one thing but lets not give her a big head! these kerry women...I see one from kerry wants to be first irish woman in space...

in fairness she is in the zone but we still have to mind her a bit

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I'd say your Berlin time could be in danger come September :cool:

Maybe in a parallel universe or in the twilight zone :rolleyes:

Says the PB smashing, race winning, 40 foot swimming, yoga & spinning master! :p
    PVincent wrote: »
    giving her confidence is one thing but lets not give her a big head! these kerry women...I see one from kerry wants to be first irish woman in space...

in fairness she is in the zone but we still have to mind her a bit

duly noted boss!

Thursday March 21
    am Easy run. 5 miles before work 8:40 pace. Not much to report on that. Glad that I got the run in this morning when I saw how the weather changed.

pm circuit training at the club. I'm getting slightly better at some of these exercises, so obviously enjoyment level has gone up too. Glad to be indoors!

Friday March 22
    Spent a few minutes at 6:30 this morning opening and closing the blinds and looking at the trees to see how bad they were really blowing & guaging how loud and heavy the rain was... until I finally said 'oh just go out and run for goodness sake'. :rolleyes:
    Actually once I got out it wasn't too bad, my first mile was over the M50 so pretty breezy and unsheltered so I tried to pick more sheltered road after that, like they were easy to find :rolleyes: :). My training plan had said pace run, so I figured that running in those conditions was challenge enough and just tried to keep a steady quickish pace.
    5 miles 7:50 pace. Really happy with that.

Thursday March 21
    am Easy run. 5 miles before work 8:40 pace. Not much to report on that. Glad that I got the run in this morning when I saw how the weather changed.

pm circuit training at the club. I'm getting slightly better at some of these exercises, so obviously enjoyment level has gone up too. Glad to be indoors!

Friday March 22
    Spent a few minutes at 6:30 this morning opening and closing the blinds and looking at the trees to see how bad they were really blowing & guaging how loud and heavy the rain was... until I finally said 'oh just go out and run for goodness sake'. :rolleyes:
    Actually once I got out it wasn't too bad, my first mile was over the M50 so pretty breezy and unsheltered so I tried to pick more sheltered road after that, like they were easy to find :rolleyes: :). My training plan had said pace run, so I figured that running in those conditions was challenge enough and just tried to keep a steady quickish pace.

I spent the same few minutes at 6.30 looking out trying to gauge the weather, except I went feck it I'm not running in that!
    Which is why you get brilliant times and I don't :-)

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I spent the same few minutes at 6.30 looking out trying to gauge the weather, except I went feck it I'm not running in that!
    Which is why you get brilliant times and I don't :-)

:)
    Thankfully there were a few other crazies out there this morning too! Made me feel slightly less crazy.
    Have to say, felt great when I got home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Friday March 22

Hope you stayed away from the ''tunnel''!? ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hope you stayed away from the ''tunnel''!? ;)

I know better than that!
    I did hear on the news earlier that a few runners went in there this morning and were never heard of again! ;)

I know better than that!
    I did hear on the news earlier that a few runners went in there this morning and were never heard of again! ;)

No, I think that was Tallaght ;):D

Saturday March 23
    LSR 17 miles. Plan was 12 at 8:30 and 5 at 8:00. Had a semi late night, so didn't head out until about 10ish. Again, decided to stay local and loop back to the house for a drink around the 12 mile mark. The weather wasn't too much of a hindrance but probably not the most ideal.
    Nothing much to report on the run really. The pace was a little quicker than maybe it should have been and I tried to slow it down as I was determined to do the last 5 at MP and I didn't want to be out of steam. Can't say I wasn't tired on the last mile (uphill) home but job done.
    12 miles at 8:15 and 5 miles at 7:41 (overall pace 8:09) :)

Sunday March 24
    Had to get this done bright and early on Sunday. Was happy to be going recovery pace for this - calves feeling a bit tight, especially left one.
    6.33 miles 8:42 pace
    I have to say it's lovely to get the club member shout-outs from cars on my runs, especially when it's cold, wet and windy. :)

Monday March 25
    Tempo run 50 mins. 2 miles at 8:30, 2 at 7:30 and last 2 at 8:30. Pretty much stuck to pace, but the 2nd fast mile was 7:16 (probably could have slowed it down a bit on this one, as I was exhausted by the end of that mile).
    6 miles covered, pace 8:04

Tuesday March 26
    3rd time volunteering with the kids, 3rd time it's been cancelled. :rolleyes: Headed off with the group to the lovely Stocking lane, 6 hill reps. I'm not one to shy away from doing my runs in bad weather, but the combination of snow and wind on the ascents had me definitely questioning my sanity. Was in a group of 7/8 and this helped with morale big time. The reps weren't too bad but was still conscious of my left calve. A lot of stretching and foam rolling afterwards.
    Took the long way home as c/d with a few others. 7 miles total covered.

I have to say it's lovely to get the club member shout-outs from cars on my runs, especially when it's cold, wet and windy. :)

QUOTE]

pvincent still out and about touting for membership business? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3rd time volunteering with the kids, 3rd time it's been cancelled.

We have to find some way of using these powers - send you off to observe another club's training sessions maybe?

digger2d2 wrote: »

pvincent still out and about touting for membership business? ;)

A, if you want to join our club, all you have to do is ask! ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    We have to find some way of using these powers - send you off to observe another club's training sessions maybe?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A, if you want to join our club, all you have to do is ask! ;)

ah come on now, we have some standards to maintain!

RayCun wrote: »
    ah come on now, we have some standards to maintain!

I said he could ask, I didn't say he could join! ;)

Wednesday 27th March
    6 mile easy run with one of my club mates. He was running slower due to injury and I was happy to run slow as I had racing plans at the weekend.
    Really enjoyable run in the snow. Pace 8:53

Thursday 28th March
    Circuit training class with the club. Really enjoyed this again.

Friday 29th March
    Killarney Good Friday 5 mile run.
    I did this race last year and really enjoyed it so figured that I would be down home again for Easter so made sure to put it in my racing calendar. After the disaster of Raheny in January, I was very apprehensive going into this race. I know I feel more confident now and am training better but...... I wasn't sure how it was going to go. With that, I only told 4 people (including my Wednesday running buddy)

Headed to Killarney with hubby, kids and my brother. Quick registration, nice little goody bag complete with Easter egg, a 10 minute warmup and positioned myself about 3 rows back. The course was 2 and a bit laps of the town, pretty flat. It was so cold waiting at the start line and there was a 10 minute delay. Should have practiced my tuck jumps to keep warm!
    My aim which was my Raheny aim a sub 35.
    Not a lot to report from the race itself. I rarely checked the garmin and just ran by feel. The watch did say 6:22 after half a mile, so I just slowed it down. Any time I looked at it after that, it was reading 6:50 ish and this pace was quite comfortable for me. I did want to be in the top 15 women and based on last years times felt that this was a possibility. The group that I seemed to be running with had 2 ladies (lady with plait and lady in purple). We seemed to be overtaking each other every so often so overtaking the two of them was in my mind all the time - I suppose this kept me occupied. I wasn't finding the route too difficult either, although there was one stretch which was quite windy. At the 4 mile mark the guy who I happed to be running beside for quite a few miles upped his pace slightly but I just couldn't go with him. I just wanted to keep it steady.... I figured a mile to go, anything could happen. With half a mile to go I could feel the tiredness coming on, but I managed to keep the pace consistent. I overtook lady in purple here. Around a corner, onto the main street and I knew the finish line was down another street, but how far down I had no idea. Would I start sprinting now? No, better wait til I can see the finish line. I turned the corner and it was 400 meters down I reckon. I just gave it everything on that final stetch, I could see the clock in the distance 33:53...... Big shout outs from my 4 man fan club, chip time 34:04.
    :D To say I was chuffed to bits would be an understatement. What I was most delighted with was the level of comfort I had going around & obviously it has given me oodles of confidence.
    Pos: 68 (out of 482)
    Female Pos: 11
    Age Category Pos: 2 :D (a prize is coming my way!)

Saturday March 30th
    LSR - 18 miles. Now back to business, no slacking off in marathon training land. Headed back to Killarney on Saturday morning. The family dropped me off at the National park at 9:30am. The plan was 12 miles at 8:30 pace and the last 6 at 8:00 pace. Wasn't sure how the legs would hold up and the routes around the park have steep inclines and declines, so decided to try my best but not to get too disheartened if things didn't go to plan.

Miles 1-12, heaaded from Killarney town out to Muckross and back into town again. There was quite a breeze on the outward leg and a few sharp uphills (and downhills) to contend with, but I seemed to be able to keep to the pace without an issue. A mini pitstop at 11.5 miles where I had stashed a bottle of water and a gel and off I went again. The first 12 miles were on average 8:18 pace.

Miles 12-18 a few loops of the national park in the town. Picking up the pace was okay for the first mile or so and then tiredness seemed to set in and I glanced at the watch which read 8:15. I can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed, I didn't want the last 4 miles to be 4 tired, weary ones. I had been enjoying the run up til then. Somehow, things picked up and the last 2 miles were speedier ones.

On my last stetch, I could see the family waiting for me ahead. The kids were getting all excited and running towards me. My first concern was 'ah crap, I am only at 17:85 and I have to finish' and then I thought 'they are going to jump on me, my poor legs'. I ran past them, practically running in the ditch, shouting 'I'm not finished, I'm not finished', don't jump on me, don't jump on me..... (I had the headphones on :o). To any passerby, I looked and sounded like such a mean mommy or a demented runner or BOTH.
    Anyway delighted with how the run went - another one in the bag!
    The pace for the 18 miles was 8:12

Sunday March 31
    Rest day aka 'eat as many Easter eggs as you can day'.

Monday April 1st
    Jack O'Keeffe 4 mile road race (north Cork)
    The night before I had decided to run a local 4 mile run before heading back to Dublin. I figured, the two kids were going to be doing the kids races at 1pm, it was on the way back to Dublin and there seemed to be prizes for 'everyone in the audience' ;). Again, no pressure on me, if I felt tired, then I could just slow down and use it as a pace run. Based on Friday night's race, I thought that a sub 28 would be possible if the legs held up - naturally a sub 27 would be super too! :)
    Jumped out of the car at 2:50pm, a 10 min warm up in Baltic conditions and then just itched for them to start the race. I knew there were prizes for the first 6 women but saw at least 5 or 6 of them in the leading bunch at the start line so figured that ship had sailed and put it out of my mind. The route was from one village in north Cork to another (Boherbue to Kishkeam), I wasn't familiar with the road but had heard that it was downhill for half a mile, slight uphill to 2.5miles, then downhill to 3.5 and flat to the finish.
    Again not much to report from this, just kept a steady pace throughout. The field consisted of maybe 130 runners and was quite spread out. I seemed to be running on my own for most of it, although there was one guy beside me up until mile 3. Unfortunately there were no markers on the road after the 3rd mile one, so I had no clue how far away the finish line was. With dips and bends in the road, I wasn't sure if I was near the entrance to the village and how far inside the village sign the line actually was. I did see some bunting hanging over the road and a few supporters at a turn ahead. I took the turn and I was slap bang practically on top of the finish line. I think my sprint finish lasted 5 seconds :(. Was annoyed with myself that I didn't check the garmin as I had plenty left in the tank and my finishing time was 27:09 (could have shaved 10 seconds off I think). Oh well, next time. We runners are never happy are we!? :rolleyes:
    Pos: 46 (out of 134)
    Female Pos: 8
    Age Category Pos: 2 (but as the first F35 was in the top 6, I got the first prize, a €75 Supervalu voucher for a local shop, the mammy will be pleased!) :D

Brilliant weekends running, you must be delighted. I am tired just reading all that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Security we need a fire extinguisher for this log......jcsmum is ON FIRE:D

2 PBs, 2 prizes AND a super LSR and a family weekend break, I'm thrilled for you K, very, very well deserved after all your hard work this year.

Security we need a fire extinguisher for this log......jcsmum is ON FIRE:D

2 PBs, 2 prizes AND a super LSR and a family weekend break, I'm thrilled for you K, very, very well deserved after all your hard work this year.

I think one of the flames spread from your log! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Fantastic work K. Well done :D

Advertisement