Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Marthastew wrote: »
    Security we need a fire extinguisher for this log......jcsmum is ON FIRE:D

2 PBs, 2 prizes AND a super LSR and a family weekend break, I'm thrilled for you K, very, very well deserved after all your hard work this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm delighted for you K, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Wow, that's some running, where did you get time to eat your easter eggs :confused: :pac: Congrats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Welcome back K. Seriously great running going on here. Whatever it is bottle it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on a super weekend of pb's, there's no stopping you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

What a great weekend of training and racing and placing and bringing home the goods!! As a certain metrosexual Digger would say..."YOU GO GIRL!";) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jcsmum wrote: »
    chip time 34:04.
    *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    What a great weekend of training and racing and placing and bringing home the goods!! As a certain metrosexual Digger would say..."YOU GO GIRL!";) :)

:confused:..... I suppose at least I'm moving in the right direction from what you used to call me!

The above comment is used in jest and no inference should be taken that I perceive a metrosexual is in any way better, or more worthy, for instance, than a homosexual. It should be noted that my own coach, by his own admission, is himself Bi, although some would say that's pure greedy, not me mind as I believe both bi and greed should themselves be treated as equals. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Tuesday April 2nd
    I helped out with the kids at training - 4th time 's a charm! Was happy not to be doing the 880s (!!) on the Firhouse road with the adults, the legs needed some sort of rest after the weekend. I did run down to training and ran home adding a few miles to the homeward journey. I was frozen at the training and never warmed up at all until I got inside my front door.
    5 miles 8:53 pace.

Wednesday Aprill 3rd
    Ran with my clubmate for this one. We were both happy enough to keep this at an easy pace. He had worked hard on the reps the night before and I was still in recovery mode. With all the banter and reminising about 80's films (all inspired by Tom Cruise's visit to Dublin), we hardly noticed the miles flying by or the pace creeping up.
    Lovely run, 7.5 miles at 8:29 pace

Thursday April 4th
    Club session called 'Speaker Connolly hills' x3. I've only done these with the club once before and they involve a hill circuit a mile long. There are 3 sharp inclines on the circuit (with 3 sharp declines) and also some flat bits scattered in between. They are super tough, but super satisfying when you're done. Worked hard on these, but maybe could have pushed myself a bit more.
    w/u 2.5 m, 3 circuits, c/d 1 mile
    6.5 covered

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :confused:..... I suppose at least I'm moving in the right direction from what you used to call me!

The above comment is used in jest and no inference should be taken that I perceive a metrosexual is in any way better, or more worthy, for instance, than a homosexual. It should be noted that my own coach, by his own admission, is himself Bi, although some would say that's pure greedy, not me mind as I believe both bi and greed should themselves be treated as equals. :D

You sure put a lot of thought and effort into that post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Club session called 'Speaker Connolly hills' x3. I've only done these with the club once before and they involve a hill circuit a mile long. There are 3 sharp inclines on the circuit (with 3 sharp declines) and also some flat bits scattered in between.

Is that the ''around the block'' loop from the Speaker heading up toward Tallaght or down toward Mortons and back up your own way?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

a little hill across from the pub that you run up and down and up and down and up and down
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216171379

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

You described the Speaker Hill session well, I was wondering how to explain it. I think to cut down on typing on my log, for the club sessions I'll put see jcsmums log, with the caveat of course that you're going twice the speed I am
    :-)

Friday April 5
    rest

Saturday April 6
    Headed over to the Marlay parkrun. My clubmate was running with her daughter and JC was going to join them, I was left with minding 3 smallies. She in turn was going to mind mine while I got my LSR done. Some super performances by so many club people (including coach! :)). After chatting to a few people from the club and boardsies, figured that I really should do my motherly cheering duties at the finish line. Next thing I see the little man sprinting up the field overtaking left and right and sprinting for home. Apparantly he abandoned his carer after a mile and ran the last 2 by himself! His official time is 28:43. Super proud! All he wants to do now is better his time - I've created a monster.

Now, back to mommy's training. I had a 20 miler to do. Will have to admit I wasn't feeling 100% before this one, just a sniffle mind. Also I'm better just leaving the house to do a run, I take what I need and go. JC had drank my entire bottle of water after his run :rolleyes:, managed to find an old bottle in the car with a few mouthfuls left, I couldn't find my headphones which had fallen between the car seats, so no music - already I was in the horrors!

Seeing as I was in Marlay I decided to stay there and do some loops and laps of the park. Bad move - I was headwrecked by the end trying to mix it up a bit and it seemed like I was up and down the same trails and paths ALL the time.

Miles 1-13. The pace was to be 8:30 for the first 13 miles and this I managed okay. Some of my miles were too fast, 7:50's and I know I paid for this later. I did two big loops of the park in and out of trees - I just wanted to make the loops as big & diverse as possible. Got back to the car for some water and a gel.
    The pace was 8:18 for these miles.

Miles 13-20. My intended pace for these 7 was 8mm
    The first few miles were slow and sluggish, 8:15, 8:20 - I just couldn't seem to go any faster. I got quite disheartened and I started to feel super tired. By mile 15 I was beat, absolutely exhausted, I couldn't believe how tired I felt and how much I was hating this run. The pace did creep up, but mentally I was all over the place.
    The last 7 miles were bang on 8mm but by the time I got back to the car I didn't care. I just wanted to lie down and sleep.
    It's probably the first horrible training run I've had in preparation for Cork. It's done now, miles in the bag but it was not pretty.

20 miles pace 8:14

(nice to see Emer around the park too on Saturday, looking all cool in her shades :cool:)

Picked up the kids (thanks C! :)), a zillion housework related things to do and LSR firmly forgotten about!

Sunday April 7
    Joined the club group run at 9am for this one, which would be well and truly a recovery one for me. It was lovely to run along and chat. 8.25 miles at 9:15.

Monday April 8
    Decided to do a tempo run this morning, if the legs were able. Out on the roads at 6:30 and raring to go. Two 8:30 w/u miles. It wasn't a problem to pick up the pace, first mile 7:19, second 7:28. Then 2 slower miles home 7:57 and 8:15
    6 miles total 8:05
    Really glad how this one panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

K - you were probably standing around for well over an hour during the Parkrun so that may have made the legs feel more tired towards the end of the LSR?
    Regardless of how you felt afterwards, getting a 20 miler in at this stage sets you up nicely for the first weekend in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the super races last week end.
    You are doing great training...don't mind Saturdays run, its 20m in the bag and you know what they say about running on tired legs;).....it will come back to reward you in Cork as you got the pace to where you wanted it to be regardless of how tired you were feeling. so a good run!

Super work as usual jcsmum! 20 is never easy, and that was a super pace you ran :)

Tuesday April 9
    Club fartlek session. This was my first time doing this session with the club, so not sure what it was going to be like or what I was letting myself in for.
    I joined 81 :eek: other brave souls on the Firhouse road and after some muffled instructions off we took. I'm guessing 100 meter jog, 300m sprint (someone might correct me on this), jog, sprint, jog etc.... for 30 minutes. non-stop.
    I did work hard in my little group but something didn't click, I didn't feel as in control as I would have liked.
    I should probably have timed the session myself as I'm better when I have a target or a time/distance limit. I didn't know if we had 1, 3 or 8 more reps to do so my efforts were a bit all over the place at the end. Only for coach pulling me around, I'd have slowed down a lot more too!
    I think because there were so many people on the paths, there was a good bit of ducking and diving going on - not the easiest when you're tired but in other ways the big group helped as we were passing each other all the time and I figured the more people running the more people in pain :) not just me!

Tough session but I think with a bit more control, I'd enjoy it more. With jog down to the session and home 6 miles covered.

Wednesday April 10
    Met up with my 'sidekick' for a run late last night. No set plan for pace or distance - just ran. We figured we would be taking it easy, me 'recovering' from Tuesday's club session and him recovering from a super sub 26 minute 4 mile at the weekend. Before we knew it, the pace was a sprightly 7:50 and we decided to slow the pace down a bit. I think it kept picking up again despite our best efforts. :rolleyes:
    A loop over to Marlay, down to Nutgrove and over to Rathfarnham and back to Knocklyon gave me a nice 8.25 miles, pace 8:08. Great run

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tuesday April 9
    Club fartlek session. This was my first time doing this session with the club, so not sure what it was going to be like or what I was letting myself in for.
    I joined 81 :eek: other brave souls on the Firhouse road and after some muffled instructions off we took. I'm guessing 100 meter jog, 300m sprint (someone might correct me on this), jog, sprint, jog etc.... for 30 minutes. non-stop.
    I did work hard in my little group but something didn't click, I didn't feel as in control as I would have liked.
    I should probably have timed the session myself as I'm better when I have a target or a time/distance limit. I didn't know if we had 1, 3 or 8 more reps to do so my efforts were a bit all over the place at the end. Only for coach pulling me around, I'd have slowed down a lot more too!
    I think because there were so many people on the paths, there was a good bit of ducking and diving going on - not the easiest when you're tired but in other ways the big group helped as we were passing each other all the time and I figured the more people running the more people in pain :) not just me!

Tough session but I think with a bit more control, I'd enjoy it more. With jog down to the session and home 6 miles covered.

You find in fartlek that you probably enjoy longer sprints better than the short. We usually do fartlek based on random calls for 40 mins. So some one might call 30 secs and i would struggle, but some one could call 3 mins and i be flying.

They are great sessions though.

• Advertisement

Thursday April 11th
    Tempo run with the club. This involved a pace run for 2 miles in one direction, a few mins rest and then 2 pace miles back.
    Not much I can say about it - 7:20 average for the 4 miles. Felt pretty good. With w/u and c/d over 6 miles covered.

Friday April 12
    Rest day

Saturday April 13
    I'm forever chopping and changing my marathon plan and instead of my LSR I decided to run over to Marlay (3 miles), do the parkrun and run home. I felt that I wanted to see where I was at as regards my 5k and also to check out the course. Met a few clubmates beforehand, lined up towards the front and before we knew it, we were off. My plan was to go hard and just try to hang on...which is what I did.
    At the start, a huge group took off and I tried to follow suit. After the first half k the field spread out and I got into a rhythm. I felt I was running like my life depended on it. Down through the trail part (between km 1-2) I overtook a few people but that was really the extent of the overtaking. Then we came to the hill - a hill I know ever so well, between that and the wind I'm sure I slowed down big time. I was not interested in checking the watch, I was too busy chanting 'I'm not doing this again, I'm not doing this again.....' Once I got to the top of the hill, I was okay again and just tried to pick up the pace. I kept plugging away, no idea of time or pace. I knew I was the first lady so that kept me focused on keeping my place. A few clubmates were out supporting on the last k and that was great. Around the loop by the front of the house, the breathing was laboured big time and I was coughing (or trying to) up a storm. A mini sprint for home - 20:53 on the garmin. Can't say I was too thrilled with the time. Met up with a bunch of clubmates again at the end and you'd swear I had won the olympics - so nice :). Met Emer and KC (men's winner). Like I said on his log, will be printing off the course winners page from the parkrun site and framing it as I'm sure I'll never be a winner beside him again! :cool:
    Was on mothering duties so had to dash off afterwards. On the way home I tried to get my thoughts in order. I found the course tough and it won't be the course when/if I get my sub 20. The wind didn't help matters and I'm sure I can do a better time in Marlay. I will use it as a practice course and just keep chipping away at my time. I'd hope for a sub 20:30 there at some stage.
    Great experience and obviously delighted to be first lady. My official time was 20:56

Sunday April 14
    LSR - the plan was for 17, 10 at 8:30 pace and last 7 at 8 mm. Since when did I ever stick to a plan? :rolleyes:
    Did the first 8 on my own, looping around Knocklyon and Ballyboden. Despite the windy conditions, my average pace for these was 8mm :eek: Did I not learn anything from last week.....obviously not.
    Met up with 2 clubmates for the final 10. Our plan was to run 5 miles over to the reservoir in Bohernabreena and back home again. I've never run that route but knew that it involved a good few hills on the way there, but I was up for the challenge despite being asked numerous times if I was still on for the route! The wind was insane, at times it was laughable, uphill and into the wind, we actually had to work hard not to keep crashing into each other. During the 12th mile I think there was a short sharp hill. I refused point blank to run it - my endurance has it's limits. It involved walking for 20 seconds and the pace for that mile was about 8:20 so no harm done.
    Was thrilled when my garmin beeped at 13 miles, we could finally turn around and head downhill for home and even more thrilled to see 7:30s on the watch!
    Left my co-runners with about half a mile to go and of couse had to run up the miles to bang on 18. Not sure what happened but my garmin lost the run details, luckily one of the other guys was able to give me the splits for the last 10
    Chuffed with how this run went. :)

Monday April 15
    Recovery run this morning 5.5miles, pace 8:59. Just what the legs needed and really it was all they were fit for.

Congrats on the win jcsmum! That was some run you did yeterday after the race! Great work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yep, congrats on the win! From last weekend I thought that hill was a sneaky fecker so I feel reassured that both yourself and Krusty think likewise!
    A couple more runs on that course and you'll be well set for sub 20 on a flat course. There seems to be lots of people talking about Bob Heffernan 5km in May as the course to PB. Not sure of the date but I'd say you should be able to fit it in before Cork.

belcarra wrote: »
    Yep, congrats on the win! From last weekend I thought that hill was a sneaky fecker so I feel reassured that both yourself and Krusty think likewise!
    A couple more runs on that course and you'll be well set for sub 20 on a flat course. There seems to be lots of people talking about Bob Heffernan 5km in May as the course to PB. Not sure of the date but I'd say you should be able to fit it in before Cork.

Thanks J. Am gutted after hearing about your Rotterdam experience. :(
    Hope you're alright and already planning your next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Bob Heffernan 5km Tuesday 21st May :D
    Congrats on the win at Marley K and great run yesterday too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi jcsmum, It's funny, I was going to print out the page too, as it may be the only time I will make the podium alongside you! When we met briefly, I didn't realize you were jcsmum, so apologies for not making the connection or congratulating you on your well-earned victory (which neither Emer nor I knew of at the time (you're far too humble!)). Congrats on a great run in tough conditions. I ran 20 seconds faster for 5k just two weeks earlier, so it's probably safe to assume that better conditions (without the hill/head-wind combo) would result in a good chunk off of your time on Saturday, so it was more like a sub 20:30 performance. Next time you should be aiming for closer to sub-20. No pressure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am just in awe of your running! That LSR yesterday is just incredible in those weather conditions.

What is your target for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Congrats on the win K! You are really motoring these days

Apart from the fast times, the other thing I've noticed from your reports on races, there is none of the pre-race doubt or dread when you're at the start line. Maybe you're not just typing it up, or else you're getting a bit more confident in your running or trusting in your training. Either way it's good news. You'll pick up plenty more PBs this year with the way you're going.
    Jealous? Moi?!!

Hi jcsmum, It's funny, I was going to print out the page too, as it may be the only time I will make the podium alongside you! When we met briefly, I didn't realize you were jcsmum, so apologies for not making the connection or congratulating you on your well-earned victory (which neither Emer nor I knew of at the time (you're far too humble!)). Congrats on a great run in tough conditions. I ran 20 seconds faster for 5k just two weeks earlier, so it's probably safe to assume that better conditions (without the hill/head-wind combo) would result in a good chunk off of your time on Saturday, so it was more like a sub 20:30 performance. Next time you should be aiming for closer to sub-20. No pressure. :)

:D (but thanks!)
    ncmc wrote: »
    I am just in awe of your running! That LSR yesterday is just incredible in those weather conditions.

What is your target for Cork?

3.29.59 :)
    Congrats on the win K! You are really motoring these days

Apart from the fast times, the other thing I've noticed from your reports on races, there is none of the pre-race doubt or dread when you're at the start line. Maybe you're not just typing it up, or else you're getting a bit more confident in your running or trusting in your training. Either way it's good news. You'll pick up plenty more PBs this year with the way you're going.
    Jealous? Moi?!!

I can't say I'm not nervous at the start line these days, but definitely far less so. I suppose each race that goes well for me, just gives me that extra bit of confidence for the next one.
    How are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

3.29.59 :)
    I was afraid you were going to say that :eek: That's my target too and I am miiiiiiiiiiiiiles behind you :eek: (and I mean that literally come June 3rd :D)

Advertisement