Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

jcsmum wrote: »

I can't say I'm not nervous at the start line these days, but definitely far less so. I suppose each race that goes well for me, just gives me that extra bit of confidence for the next one.
    How are you doing?

Ah sure at some points I feel like I'm making progress, like early last week, but then other times I'm left frustrated. I did a 4 mile run last Thurs and haven't been able to loosen the achilles since. I'm thinking its a but like an irish train in that it's operating to a timetable that's a mystery to everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on the win at the weekend, you're in flying form at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

ncmc wrote: »
    I was afraid you were going to say that :eek: That's my target too and I am miiiiiiiiiiiiiles behind you :eek: (and I mean that literally come June 3rd :D)

Not at all, your training is going great.
    We both know anything can happen on the day, and I have a date with the 25 mile marker in Cork where I fell apart last year. I'm out for revenge! :cool:

Ah sure at some points I feel like I'm making progress, like early last week, but then other times I'm left frustrated. I did a 4 mile run last Thurs and haven't been able to loosen the achilles since. I'm thinking its a but like an irish train in that it's operating to a timetable that's a mystery to everyone else!

I'm sorry to hear that S. (and don't be comparing yourself to CIE :rolleyes: - you couldn't be that unpredictable!)

DigiJem wrote: »
    Well done on the win at the weekend, you're in flying form at present.

Thanks J, hope the recovery is going well and you're enjoying the rest. What's next on the agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

What's next on the agenda?

Will start Berlin training towards end of May, hope to do a few shorter runs before then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Will start Berlin training towards end of May, hope to do a few shorter runs before then

Didn't know you were doing Berlin J, great stuff.

Whooo hoooo another one on the Berlin bus! :D I'd no idea you were signed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I feel sometimes that i'm the only one not doing Berlin. Oh to be young and not kinda creaky with aches and pains:D

Good job on the win K, i knew ya before you were famous. Are you still pacing Limerick for 2 hrs?

chinguetti wrote: »
    I feel sometimes that i'm the only one not doing Berlin. Oh to be young and not kinda creaky with aches and pains:D

Good job on the win K, i knew ya before you were famous. Are you still pacing Limerick for 2 hrs?

Yes I am, are you?

And M, I'll never forget my friends :cool:

• Advertisement

Tuesday April 16
    'Ladder session' with the club at Cherryfield. It involves running around numerous fields, GAA pitches & some very diverse terrain - paths, grass, rabbit holes, scrubland & in and around bushes/trees. Our new 'leader' for the night miscalculated the distance on some of these so we ended up working a little bit harder. This session consisted of 600m, 1k, 2.2k, 2.2k, 1k & 600m (2 min jog in between each).
    I started off so sluggish but as the session wore on I was picking it up a bit. On the first 2.2k my calves were screaming at me, especially my left one. It felt like I was dragging my feet the whole way around. Of course I had the option of dropping the second 2.2k and just doing the 2 shorter distances, but no I couldn't do that :rolleyes:. One of the girls came with me on the promise that we would do it slower - from my garmin, we did it quicker the second time :rolleyes:. The last 2 laps 1k and 600m were tolerable.
    I like this session but last night my level of comfort was low because of my tired weary legs. Mentally I was really up for this, so hopefully next one will be better. Nice relaxed c/d around the fields afterwards, bringing the miles up to 6 for the evening.
    Spent the best part of an hour last night foam rolling and eating chocolate - I won't do one without the other. :)

Wednesday April 17
    Wasn't sure if today should be a rest day or a 'just take it easy run and see where you're at' day. Headed out early this morning. The calve had improved big time but I took it nice and steady all the same. I think it's nothing more than tightness which I can hopefully work on and get rid of before tackling the kclub 10k on Saturday. Also I'm mindful of my pacing responsibilities in Wexford on Sunday.
    6 miles at 8:40 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good stuff RJ, you're flying :D. Thought it was about time I checked in here again!

Good stuff RJ, you're flying :D. Thought it was about time I checked in here again!

Not only am I flattered, I'm extremely honoured. I'm not worthy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Tuesday April 16
    'Ladder session' with the club at Cherryfield. It involves running around numerous fields, GAA pitches & some very diverse terrain - paths, grass, rabbit holes, scrubland & in and around bushes/trees. Our new 'leader' for the night miscalculated the distance on some of these so we ended up working a little bit harder. This session consisted of 600m, 1k, 2.2k, 2.2k, 1k & 600m (2 min jog in between each).
    I started off so sluggish but as the session wore on I was picking it up a bit. On the first 2.2k my calves were screaming at me, especially my left one. It felt like I was dragging my feet the whole way around. Of course I had the option of dropping the second 2.2k and just doing the 2 shorter distances, but no I couldn't do that :rolleyes:. One of the girls came with me on the promise that we would do it slower - from my garmin, we did it quicker the second time :rolleyes:. The last 2 laps 1k and 600m were tolerable.
    I like this session but last night my level of comfort was low because of my tired weary legs. Mentally I was really up for this, so hopefully next one will be better. Nice relaxed c/d around the fields afterwards, bringing the miles up to 6 for the evening.
    Spent the best part of an hour last night foam rolling and eating chocolate - I won't do one without the other. :)

It wasn't my fault that the 1.6km lap was 2.2km- I was only following the coach's instructions..... besides when I met him at the end he said it would do us good!
    I got the splits for the group and we were consistent enough except for the last one where we went a bit nuts:
    600m (actually 692m) 2.46
    1000m 3.56
    1600m (actually 2200m) 8.45
    1600m (actually 2200m) 8.50
    1000m 3.59
    600m (692m) 2.32
    I was wrecked last night after the session and had to take to the bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Not only am I flattered, I'm extremely honoured. I'm not worthy. :p

Glad you publicly acknowledge this :D

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    It wasn't my fault that the 1.6km lap was 2.2km- I was only following the coach's instructions..... besides when I met him at the end he said it would do us good!
    I got the splits for the group and we were consistent enough except for the last one where we went a bit nuts:
    600m (actually 692m) 2.46
    1000m 3.56
    1600m (actually 2200m) 8.45
    1600m (actually 2200m) 8.50
    1000m 3.59
    600m (692m) 2.32
    I was wrecked last night after the session and had to take to the bed early.

What's this 'we' business - yes, I may have started off in your group.... :rolleyes:

Thursday Apil 18
    Easy run with the club - as we've had a lot of tough sessions over the last few weeks, an easy run was on the schedule for yesterday. Naturally it suited me as the legs are still a bit on the tired side plus I'm hoping to race the kclub tomorrow.
    Set off into the rain and wind with a group of 5 others- nice steady conversational pace for 5 miles. One of the girls wanted to run 10k so I did a few laps of the fields with her to get her mileage up. With running to and from training, 8 miles covered - probably too many but they were nice pace, so no harm done.

Friday April 19
    Rest day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Most likely we'll see you at the K-Club although unlikely I'll be running unless I opt for a trot around. Make sure you have time to stay for breakfast afterwards as the spread is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Thursday Apil 18
    probably too many but they were nice pace, so no harm done.

Friday April 19
    Rest day

Hardly a surprise-
    See Friday- more of that required I reckon

Saturday April 20
    BHAA 10k Kclub. Despite the legs feeling below par during the week, I decided that I was going to give this race a whirl. The aim was sub 43. Travelled down with 3 ladies from the club, met a load of other club members and boardsies down there, including the 'glamour couple' CL in her Boston bling bling & career_move aiming for something similar to myself.
    Lined up at the start with Ro* and her Donore buddies. I don't think I've ever been more relaxed at a start line in my life. Despite the conjested start line, I got into a rhythm quickly enough. The first mile was a little bit on the quick side but it didn't trouble me. Second mile 6:50, all was well. Then the calves started to hurt and get worse as each minute went by. Unfortunately I felt pretty strong and my breathing was controlled but I knew the legs wouldn't hold out at the pace for the rest of the race and I wasn't happy to jog around. I was due to pace the half in Wexford the following day and there was no way I was going to let people down so late in the day nor did I want to be hobbling around there for 2 hours. I knew that I had to make a decision pretty sharpish as I didn't want to start on the second loop of the course and have to walk all the way back. At the 5k marker I spotted dig dig and a club member on support duty so I just pulled up there. Naturally I was disappointed but it was an easy decision to make. There will be other 10k opportunities and I think I'll refrain from racing until after Cork. Eyes on the prize and all that.
    I must be getting sense in my old age.
    I had spent the previous few weeks telling the clubmates about the spread in the Kclub having heard about it from other people. It certainly lived up to the hype. I'm not ashamed to say I brought home some cookies for the kids!
    5k in 20:56 (same time as last weekend)

Sunday April 21
    Wexford Half marathon 2hr pacer
    Travelled down to Wexford with my clubmate Clare who was hoping to break 2 hours. We were both questioning our sanity on Sunday morning what with the early start and pouring rain all the way to the sunny South East. Met up with belcarra and Aimman (my fellow pacer), donned our time keeping bibs and off we went to the start line. Met a few other boardsies Dilbert and Upthe19th who were on cheering duty. Before we knew it, we were off and the skies brightened and the rain stopped.

We had a large group with us from the start and most of them got their goal time. E as per usual kept people's spirits up with his own brand of encouragement and humour :cool:. I lost Clare for a while mid race, but was happy to see her bounding up to us around the 15k mark. Despite having to keep the steady pace I was always mindful of where she was and was delighted to see her running steady maybe 200 meters behind the group. With about 3k to go we were about 30-40 seconds up on time, so we let most of the group go on ahead and we kept some people who were struggling or people who were ahead but flailing slightly. Despite their tiredness they were so lovely and appreciative of the encouragement E and I tried to impart. On the home straight, so many of them picked it up and sprinted for home, including Clare who ran a PB of 1:59:11 :D. It is true, I did yell at some people before the finish line but only because I care! :) I'm okay with getting death stares and muffled grunts as they passed me by!
    E and I crossed the line with about 25 seconds to spare. The day went really well, can't fault the organisation at all.
    I would say that we should have opted to carry the balloons provided as well as the pacer bibs as some people didn't see us at the start line and for that I'm sorry. Lesson learned.

Part of me was berating myself for not racing this one prior to Cork as I can't do the Kidlare half and there aren't any others in May that suit. Having paced the course, I'm glad I didn't race it.... it was tough!

Monday April 22
    A nice recovery run of 6 miles with a club mate. The calves had held up no problem in Wexford, but after a mile last night, they were starting to hurt again :( They did improve as the run went on and I stretched like crazy when I got home.

*On a footnote, big contrats to Ro (who used to be a boardsie in a previous life) on coming 3rd in the Lord Mayor's 5 Alive Challenge. Due to an oversight by the administrator there, they never counted her St Patrick's day race and awarded 3rd prize to another competitor. I just wanted to acknowledge her achievement and her amazing running since coming back from injury last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Wow, busy weekend for you! Sounds like you made a wise decision to pull up on Saturday, you’d be raging if you injured yourself at this stage, especially when you had the pacing gig on Sunday. Sorry I didn’t get to introduce myself, with the miserable weather at the start, I wasn’t hanging around as much in advance as I usually would. I’m glad to hear you thought the course was tough too, I thought it was just me! I think it’s because it was marketed as flat, if we’d known in advance it was challenging, maybe it wouldn’t have felt so tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hope you only had a 1/2 portion of food in the K club :rolleyes:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hope you only had a 1/2 portion of food in the K club :rolleyes:

as if! :D
    Did you not read the bit where I took some cookies home?!? :o

ncmc wrote: »
    Wow, busy weekend for you! Sounds like you made a wise decision to pull up on Saturday, you’d be raging if you injured yourself at this stage, especially when you had the pacing gig on Sunday. Sorry I didn’t get to introduce myself, with the miserable weather at the start, I wasn’t hanging around as much in advance as I usually would. I’m glad to hear you thought the course was tough too, I thought it was just me! I think it’s because it was marketed as flat, if we’d known in advance it was challenging, maybe it wouldn’t have felt so tough.

It sure was tough plus the sun didn't help. I hope you're feeling better about it - it's still a great time that you got!

Tuesday April 23
    Club session 500s x 8 (or they could have been 480m, not sure). Massive big turnout again down in Cherryfield and the schedule was changed slightly from 800s on the road to 500s on grass.
    The reps into the wind were about 1:44 and the other ones average 1:36. I've no idea if that is good or bad - a few of my regular pacers weren't running last night (including coach who ran a super 3:25 in London, but was at training encouraging us all). I did work hard but again I'm sure I could have pushed it a bit more - the legs held up no problem which I'm delighted with. All that stretching must be paying off.
    With w/u & c/d - I'd say around 5 miles covered.

Wednesday April 24
    Was thinking of doing 6 at a comfortable 8:30 pace, but again the legs were feeling good, so decided to go with a tempo run instead. 2 x 8:30ish min miles to start, mile 3 was 7:17, mile 4 was 7:38 (couldn't do any better, slight uphill and into a pretty strong wind), 2 miles c/d 8:08 and 8:37
    6 miles total average pace 8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

There was a massive difference in my splits for the 'up' and 'down' repeats too. The 'up' one was a killer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

E as per usual kept people's spirits up with his own brand of encouragement and humour :cool:.!

LOL, not sure if that's a good thing or not :eek:, mind you, I had to change some of my jokes, seeing as someone in our group was in my pacing group last year. :rolleyes:

Aimman wrote: »
    LOL, not sure if that's a good thing or not :eek:, mind you, I had to change some of my jokes, seeing as someone in our group was in my pacing group last year. :rolleyes:

Yeah I was wondering why she was booing alright! :D;)

Thursday April 25
    Hill session with the club. 1 mile loop x3. (90 second recovery) I definitely know I worked hard at these - they are so tough. Was in a little group of 4-5 doing these - it makes it way more doable. The splits for each mile were 6:27, 6:32 & 6:29 (could not have gone a second faster!)
    With w/u and c/d 6.5 miles covered

Friday April 26
    Easy 5 miler this morning early. Was not prepared for how cold it was, my hands were like icicles when I got home. Pace was 8:41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The splits for each mile were 6:27, 6:32 & 6:29 (could not have gone a second faster!)

I see a sub 20 5k in your not so distant future. Also, you'll go on a journey with a tall man to a foreign land, a clock will feature heavily and there will be beer, lots of beer.:)

Advertisement