Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I see a sub 20 5k in your not so distant future. Also, you'll go on a journey with a tall man to a foreign land, a clock will feature heavily and there will be beer, lots of beer.:)

Nothing with winning lotto numbers, no? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    Nothing with winning lotto numbers, no? :(

That's my future. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If u want a sub 20, go to Bob Hefferean run on 21st of May. Its a Tuesday night. I was planning on giving it a shot but I am on the beer all Sunday before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great work being done here as usual, and you're in for another great marathon pb in Cork :)

Saturday April 27
    LSR 20 miles. Despite the rotten 20 miler I ran a few weeks ago, I was feeling pretty confident about this one - can't happen twice right? Plan was 13 x 8:30 with the last 7 at MP.
    Was up earlier than expected so headed out shortly after 7:30am - perfect weather conditions despite being a little bit breezy. Decided to break the run up into 2x 10 milers.

Miles 1-10. This was one big loop and everything was ticking along nicely. I felt pretty good & enjoyment level was high. Pace for these 10 was 8:20.
    Being a garmin freak and all :rolleyes:, my watched beeped 10 miles just as I got back home for my pit stop of a few mouthfuls of water and half a gel.

Miles 10-20. This was going to be an out and back run (I didn't want to run a single step more than I had to :)). I ran over towards Marlay - which brought me to mile 13, which was my cue to up the pace (the last 7 were mostly flat and a bit downhill :cool:). I ran past Marlay over towards Ballinteer and kept going straight (running along that road parallel to the M50). Watch beeped for 15 miles and I turned back for home.
    I find LSRs are all about the mind & staying strong mentally. I think the last 5 miles while tough with a very tiring last 3 were managable because with every step I was heading for home.
    My splits for the final 7 miles were 7:56, 7:53, 7:48, 7:49. 7:58, 7:47 and 7:43.
    Average pace was 8:11

Sunday April 28
    Rest and 'recovery' (and I don't mean recovery after running! :)) Heels & cocktails after a 20 miles LSR, maybe not the best idea.

• Advertisement

Monday April 29
    Joined my clubmate for what was supposed to be an easy/recovery type run. :rolleyes: I checked the watch after a few miles, pace said 8:30 - I thought we were motoring a lot quicker than this - especially as our route involved running through Tallaght village :eek:
    I purposely ignored the watch after that until we had a mile to go and it was 7:45 pace - looks like we were all over the shop.
    Legs felt a bit sluggish & heavy and I know I would definitely have gone slower if I was on my own.

Anyways, 7 miles covered, pace 8:18

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Monday April 29
    Joined my clubmate for what was supposed to be an easy/recovery type run. :rolleyes: I checked the watch after a few miles, pace said 8:30 - I thought we were motoring a lot quicker than this - especially as our route involved running through Tallaght village :eek:
    I purposely ignored the watch after that until we had a mile to go and it was 7:45 pace - looks like we were all over the shop.
    Legs felt a bit sluggish & heavy and I know I would definitely have gone slower if I was on my own.

Anyways, 7 miles covered, pace 8:18

Am I being blamed for not keeping you on pace??? I was all zen like running by feel and not by watch- anyway it must have been all that talking about chippers and chips that played havoc with the pace.
    I hear you are baking a lovely cake for Thursday after the race....... everyone is looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Long overdue catch up for me around these parts! Your training is really going great. You must be feeling confident about Cork now :) How many more long runs before taper? Are you sick of them yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Long overdue catch up for me around these parts! Your training is really going great. You must be feeling confident about Cork now :) How many more long runs before taper? Are you sick of them yet?!

Well, I saw her flying up and down the tunnel this evening. Her and about another 50 grass trackers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well, I saw her flying up and down the tunnel this evening. Her and about another 50 grass trackers :D

Grass or not, at least they have a track

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »

Sick of LSRs? Never ;)
    digger2d2 wrote: »

Lucky none of our female members spotted you and your guns - that would have meant a lot of collisions in the tunnel! :)
    And it was more like 80! :cool:

Tuesday April 30
    Fartlek session with the club. Run over a mile down to the club, warm up of a mile (ish), then 30 minutes of fartlek running. Again I'm only guessing measurements, 300m sprint, 100m recovery..... Didn't bother to measure the distance or pace - just kept my eye on the countdown from 30 minutes. That helped me big time, because I was able to judge how many more sprints I had to do and keep me focused on keeping an even pace and finishing strong. (which is coach's mantra!)
    Huge crowd running tonight so it can get a bit like an obstacle course with us all running up and down past each other. My aim is to try not to get lapped by the elite group! Some day...... :rolleyes:
    With w/u & c/d - 6 miles covered

Wednesday May 1
    Nothing like a nice early morning run to start the 'Summer'. As the legs were a bit tired after yesterdays session, 5 easy paced miles were the order of the day.
    Was a bit bored towards the end so did some sprints in the last mile - I'm guessing 200m x6. The legs didn't fall off so that's a good sign. :)
    Pace 8:30

Thursday May 2
    So much running going on here, you don't post for 24 hours and the log ends up in oblivion.

We had our first internal 5k club race of 2013 yesterday evening (2 lap course of grass & paths, a few icky ups and downs, some uneven terrain to say the least, the possibility of crashing into dogs, their owners, kids, footballers, footballs, skooters etc...... were all in store) Headed down to the club with the entire family as jc was training with the kids, hubby as temporary club photographer and the little lady was on cheering duty. Hubby said I was the sourest runner he's ever photographed - charming :rolleyes: I felt the course was tougher than Marlay so wasn't too hung up on a time but obviously under 21:30 would be great.

A delayed 7:30 pm start due to a busy registration table and then we were all sorted into our groups with varying handicaps. It was me against the clock, other people's handicaps are irrelevant really. Mine was 21 mins, based on my recent Marlay time of 20:56 (couldn't complain about that) and I was let off with 3 others, a guy from the club, a teenager who trains with the juveniles and a lady from a neighbouring club.

The lady took off and I was happy to let her set the pace, which she did for the first lap. Maybe 500 meters into the second lap the teenager made to overtake and she beckoned him on. Taking this as a sign that she was slowing down I overtook her too and I ran with the teenager for a few hundred meters. Then I took the lead and just held that place. Around this time, I started to overtake people from the first groups and this of course was great for keeping me going and giving me a lift. There were certain people I had in my sights, people from the 2 groups in front of me and it was great having a target which pushed me on. After lap 2, we had to circle 2 playing fields and here I just tried to put the foot down and keep overtaking. I was overtaken too by a few of the speedier guys, but no matter. :) All the kids were finished their training and they and their coaches were out in full voice on the home straight.

Super buzz at the finish line and all the club members who were marshalls and volunteers on the night were brilliant in their support & encouragement. My garmin read 21:08 so really really pleased with this. My comfort level was a lot higher than in Marlay so that was great too.

Home for a quick shower and then down to the Spawell for the prizegiving and cake eating. The food on display was incredible, lovely way to end a great evening for the club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You're club sounds brilliant! I am definitely going to join a club after CCM, for the running and also the social side, it sounds like you get a lot out of it.

Well done on a brilliant 5K time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Thursday May 2
    So much running going on here, you don't post for 24 hours and the log ends up in oblivion.

We had our first internal 5k club race of 2013 yesterday evening (2 lap course of grass & paths, a few icky ups and downs, some uneven terrain to say the least, the possibility of crashing into dogs, their owners, kids, footballers, footballs, skooters etc...... were all in store) Headed down to the club with the entire family as jc was training with the kids, hubby as temporary club photographer and the little lady was on cheering duty. Hubby said I was the sourest runner he's ever photographed - charming :rolleyes: I felt the course was tougher than Marlay so wasn't too hung up on a time but obviously under 21:30 would be great.

A delayed 7:30 pm start due to a busy registration table and then we were all sorted into our groups with varying handicaps. It was me against the clock, other people's handicaps are irrelevant really. Mine was 21 mins, based on my recent Marlay time of 20:56 (couldn't complain about that) and I was let off with 3 others, a guy from the club, a teenager who trains with the juveniles and a lady from a neighbouring club.

The lady took off and I was happy to let her set the pace, which she did for the first lap. Maybe 500 meters into the second lap the teenager made to overtake and she beckoned him on. Taking this as a sign that she was slowing down I overtook her too and I ran with the teenager for a few hundred meters. Then I took the lead and just held that place. Around this time, I started to overtake people from the first groups and this of course was great for keeping me going and giving me a lift. There were certain people I had in my sights, people from the 2 groups in front of me and it was great having a target which pushed me on. After lap 2, we had to circle 2 playing fields and here I just tried to put the foot down and keep overtaking. I was overtaken too by a few of the speedier guys, but no matter. :) All the kids were finished their training and they and their coaches were out in full voice on the home straight.

Super buzz at the finish line and all the club members who were marshalls and volunteers on the night were brilliant in their support & encouragement. My garmin read 21:08 so really really pleased with this. My comfort level was a lot higher than in Marlay so that was great too.

Home for a quick shower and then down to the Spawell for the prizegiving and cake eating. The food on display was incredible, lovely way to end a great evening for the club. :)

Good report and a fun race. Its a tough course (almost cc) imo, so in real terms got to be a better performance than the marlay race.

Dont think I caught you? I was breathing too hard to recongise anyone :)

ncmc wrote: »
    You're club sounds brilliant! I am definitely going to join a club after CCM, for the running and also the social side, it sounds like you get a lot out of it.

Well done on a brilliant 5K time!

It's great, I'd definitely recommend joining a club.

It's the best thing I ever did apart from marrying OH, kids...........um, actually now I think about it, it's the best th....... ;)

Good report and a fun race. Its a tough course (almost cc) imo, so in real terms got to be a better performance than the marlay race.

Dont think I caught you? I was breathing too hard to recongise anyone :)

No you didn't - I was up til the small hours in the photography editing room studying the finish line pictures! :D
    Were you let off last? If you were, that was a fair amount of overtaking by you. Some of the handicap guessing was funny! :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

No you didn't - I was up til the small hours in the phography editing room studying the finish line pictures! :D
    Were you let off last? If you were, that was a fair amount of overtaking by you. Some of the handicap guessing was funny! :rolleyes::)

Yeah I went last. It was a full lap before I caught anybody. Began to have irrational fears about trudging in last to see everyone stuffing their faces with ake on the grass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Yeah I went last. It was a full lap before I caught anybody. Began to have irrational fears about trudging in last to see everyone stuffing their faces with ake on the grass :)

Another one of the green and gold on Boards!
    I have you narrowed to one of two (orange shirted) people that passed me- both of you were running well and finished very strong.
    I tried to stay with both of you but couldn't, however the trying meant my last mile was around 6.16 pace which I was happy with. It was a great race and all the juveniles cheering us home was fab. My little ones were out spectating and I struggled to the finish line carrying the younger and holding the elder's hand-normally I'm eyeballs out trying to PB so it was nice to be able to have them participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Jeez K, I'm knackered just reading the last few pages of your log. Well done, you will be in great shape for Cork.

• Advertisement

Friday May 3
    Rest Day

Saturday May 4
    After my volunteering stint at the parkrun, I just stayed in Marlay and did some laps there. I had a tempo run in mind, but my garmin was on kilometres after Thursdays race and as I don't DO kilometres :rolleyes:, I decided to run for an hour solid. I spent the first 50 mins at a decent pace probably between 8.00-8.15 and decided to crank it up for the last 10 mins. I did about 10 sprints of 30-45 seconds with probably 30 second recoveries.
    7.5 miles covered pace 8:02

Mad dash home to get showered, changed and packed for my mini-break to Limerick. :)
    I had a lovely quiet afternoon of lounging in the hotel, a 40 minute walk :eek:(who gave me rubbish directions into town?) and then dinner/drinks with some of the boards crew.

Sunday May 5
    Great Limerick Run - half marathon (2 hour pacer).
    After a lovely leisurely breakfast with my semi-roomie Marthastew where we soaked up the peace and quiet of our surroundings having abandoned husbands and children in Dublin - it was SO quiet! :D

Decked out in our new pacer gear, we headed off into town for our pacer debriefing. I was pacing with Ger and chinquetti. We had a very large group of followers so one of the lads tended to lead the group, one in the middle and I was back of the pack. My 2 fellow pacers are brilliant - not only are they extremely encouraging and helpful 'mind the bollards', 'left turn ahead', 'parked car on the right' :D but they are LOUD - I didn't have to do any shouting at all! I was chatting to a few people in the first few miles and was chuffed to see them again in the last mile or two. We lost a lot of people about half way and then again in the last few miles - it was very warm and the hills really hurt some people in the latter stages of the race. Then again we probably picked up some people who had fallen behind the 1:50 pace group, so we had a good few people with us for the last stretch. I lost my balloon at mile 10, so I probably looked like some crazy runner egging people on!
    One guy stopped up with about 1.5 miles to go, so I just gently pushed his back. I could see he was struggling big time, his breathing was quite laboured. You do run the risk of people giving you death stares or 'leave me alone' grimaces, but this guy started running again when I urged him on. I ran with him all the way to the finish line and he was delighted with himself. I had another race buddy, a guy in a black t-shirt too and a lady with a stripy top - it's funny how certain people will just become known to you during the race and you feel genuinely delighted to see them staying with the group all the way around. It was really great to see them on the other side of the finish line.
    13.17 miles, chip time of 1:59:19. The 2 lads came in maybe 10-20 seconds after me doing a lot more shouting! :rolleyes:

Thanks to M and G for their company during the race, it was lovely pacing with you both. Thanks to M for the chauffeur service, Meno for sorting out the pacing bags and MS for her lovely company.

Monday May 6
    Rest day

Tuesday May 7
    Unexpected rest day

Wednesday May 8
    Now back in Dublin, so marathon training continues. Having some twinges of guilt over 2 non running days :eek:, I headed out a little bit earlier this morning into the wind and rain. Had no plan for this run, just ran.....
    8 miles pace 8:12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ok, once again. You took the wrong turn on the way in from the hotel. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the lovely huge ice cream on the road down to Limerick. Yum yum :D

Was mightly impressed how you ran for at least half a mile with your hand on the back of that lad. He would have stopped solid if you haven't kept him going so a good job done.

You left out the bit where runners wanted to take our photo for pacing them around at the finishing line. Now that was kinda cool, if a little odd.

You'll be grand for Cork as the running karma will be on your side and you deserved the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I didn't have to do any shouting at all!

All change from Wexford so, huh??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good to meet you at the weekend jcsmum! Great job and I'll likely see you in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

You should hear me when I have a few jars. Sunday was mild :).

Well done on the pacing it was spot on and good luck in Cork.

I hope there is real chocolate in the goodie bags next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on another great pacing job. And you kept the other two guys on their toes for the whole thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Aimman wrote: »
    And you kept the other two guys on their toes for the whole thing. :D

She never shouted once, twas quite scary Aimman:eek:. And she was behind Ger and I all the way which made it worse:eek:.

Aimman wrote: »
    Well done on another great pacing job. And you kept the other two guys on their toes for the whole thing. :D

I did miss you though.... and your jokes! :( It just wasn't the same.....

Thursday May 9
    Easy run with the club. Well it was supposed to be easy, but we ended up running 8 mm pace which was fine by me. A group of 8-10 of us took off together on a 6 mile loop. The conditions for the first few miles and the last mile were so blustery, I could hardly hear the person beside me.
    However I find when running in company, the miles just zip by and the pace was super comfortable last night.
    With a mini w/u and c/d 6.5 miles covered, pace 8:01

Friday May 10
    Decided to get my run done and dusted this morning - more of a rest between now and tomorrows LSR. Took it pretty easy for the first mile or so, then upped the pace in the middle and easy again on the few miles home (into the wind). A tempo run of sorts, but without any garmin checking. Found the wind very challenging this morning especially for the last 1.5m.
    6 miles, pace 8:14

• Advertisement

Saturday May 11
    LSR 20 miles - final one before Cork, I have had one awful 20 miler, one great one, so I really wanted this to go well. I decided not to get too hung up on doing any PMP miles, I just wanted to get them done. It looked like I was going to be running solo for this one, but I got a late night text from my club running buddy late on Friday offering company for some of the run, he and another guy from the club arranged to meet me at 10. :) I left the house after 9am having scrapped my original route and just ran locally until I was due to meet the 2 club mates. Whatever addition and multiplication tables I was doing in my head, I got my pace, time and distance all wrong and had to practically sprint to the meeting spot - okay maybe sprint is a slight exaggeration, but I was ready for some easier miles by the time I met them. :o I had just over 6.5 miles done at this stage.

We set off to Tymon park, I was probably close to 9 miles by then - so far so good. One of the guys took the lead which I was happy with, I find it better not to know where I am going, I just keep imagining that at some stage he will find a downhill somewhere :rolleyes:. He had us running cross country and up lots of delightful hills. At one stage we were in an open unsheltered field in the lashing rain and blustery winds. My eyes were really sore and it was difficult to see where I was going - did I mention we were in a field and one with many many rabbit holes. I'm not sure how I didn't twist an ankle (and it wasn't even taper time!)! If that doesn't stand to me in Cork, I don't know what will! ;) We ran about 5 or so miles in Tymon and then back out on to the roads again.

One of the guys was suffering a bit with an injury so at mile 15 we (heartlessly) left him as he decided to walk the last mile home. At this stage the pace was pretty steady, I think we kept a pretty steady pace throughout and it was pretty okay comfort wise - I think we managed to up the speed in the last few miles which was a great morale booster for me. We parted ways for my last half mile and when the watch beeped for 20 miles I was 100 meters from my front door - I'm such a garmin freak! :D

20 miles, pace 8:11. I'm absolutely delighted with this run. Conditions were tough in places and the wind was a challenge on some of the miles but having company for most of the run kept my mind off of any discomfort I was experiencing.
    Now, taper all the way - roll on the next 3 weeks! :)

Sunday May 12
    As our Holy Communion Mass was on at 11, an early morning recovery run wouldn't be that crazy of an idea, would it? :rolleyes: Was out after 8am and the legs were feeling pretty ok so I fell into an 8:40 pace which felt super good. My enjoyment level was sky high for this run for some strange reason, I don't know if it was something to do with how quiet the roads were or how comfortable I felt or maybe it was just me looking forward to the day ahead and starting it off one of the best ways I know how. 6 miles covered.

Monday May 13
    Early morning 6 mile tempo run. 2 miles at 8:30, 2 at 7:30 (7:24, 7:21) and 2 miles at 8:00.
    Again, a nice morning and a decent run.

Advertisement