Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Two good runs - especially the 7 miles at marathon pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

2 laps of Marlay park, 4 miles in 33.30, pace of 8:23

As I had limited running time, I decided 'short and fast'. The first mile or two were okay, my legs were fine, but my breathing was a bit laboured. Mile 3, I was not enjoying things. At 3.1m (5k), garmin read 26 mins - I was not amused :(. With nothing to lose really, I really went for it in the last mile.

I'm just not a short distance runner, I don't enjoy them, but i do feel that they are a good challenge.

Gimme a 10 miler any day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »
    'short and fast'.

That's what my Wife refers to me as........:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »

Oh the pain:eek:, must resist the gimme's;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

2 laps of Marlay park, 4 miles in 33.30, pace of 8:23

As I had limited running time, I decided 'short and fast'. The first mile or two were okay, my legs were fine, but my breathing was a bit laboured. Mile 3, I was not enjoying things. At 3.1m (5k), garmin read 26 mins - I was not amused :(. With nothing to lose really, I really went for it in the last mile.

I'm just not a short distance runner, I don't enjoy them, but i do feel that they are a good challenge.

Gimme a 10 miler any day. :)

33.3 isn't bad at all....
    I think you are being slightly harsh on yourself.
    I'm hoping to do Dunboyne 4miler in a few weeks and would be happy enough with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In one of the early Marathon Talk podcasts they explained the difference between short and long running as the difference between pain and suffering. Short distances - you should feel as if your lungs are going to explode
    Long distance - you should feel as if your legs are going to fall off
    Otherwise you just aren't going fast enough! :D

digger2d2 wrote: »

You know when I was typing those very words yesterday, I was expecting a smart alecy comment from you today! How right I was. :D

RayCun wrote: »
    In one of the early Marathon Talk podcasts they explained the difference between short and long running as the difference between pain and suffering. Short distances - you should feel as if your lungs are going to explode
    Long distance - you should feel as if your legs are going to fall off
    Otherwise you just aren't going fast enough! :D

That is good to know Ray, good to know! :)
    I'll expect some lung explosions so on Sunday!

Down to business

16 miles in glorious conditions, 2:33, pace 9:37. It usually takes me 4 or 5 miles to get into the swing of things, not today though, everything clicked from the off....
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Down to business

16 miles in glorious conditions, 2:33, pace 9:37. It usually takes me 4 or 5 miles to get into the swing of things, not today though, everything clicked from the off....

Gotta love those days, nice going on the pace.

• Advertisement

Menopause is on at me to run Cork........I'm tempted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    Menopause is on at me to run Cork........I'm tempted!

Do it!

Do it!

Road trip 2? I'll decide later.....:rolleyes:

Road trip 2? I'll decide later.....:rolleyes:

go on go on go on go on go on......
    You know you want to!
    We'll have our own personal 4 hour pacer! ;)

Anyway I'm still feeling a bit sore since Wednesdays long one. Hope to get out for a few miles after work.

You seem to be flying, I wouldn't be surprised to see your goal revised in a few weeks.

Did manage to get out yesterday evening, 6.14miles in 56.02, pace of 9:08.
    My legs were sore before I headed out, but while I was running I hardly noticed. :)

What plan are you following? Higdon?

Does the race start at 8am????:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If we could manage 8.30am in Barca (7.30am Irish time) you can manage an 8am start in Cark bai! :pac:

8 miles today, 9:02 pace it took 1:12.
    Am really tired to be honest, not sure how I'll perform tomorrow. Maybe the adrenaline will get me going, plus my BIL is running too - I have to beat him!

• Advertisement

Having 2 small kids, isn't that early morning start part of your world now. It's part of mine. :rolleyes:

If we could manage 8.30am in Barca (7.30am Irish time) you can manage an 8am start in Cark bai! :pac:

I suppose half the race will be over by the time I'm fully concious!
    Having 2 small kids, isn't that early morning start part of your world now. It's part of mine. :rolleyes:

There's a hell of a difference between being bleary eyed pouring cornflakes and lining up to run a marathon!

Like I said before, I'm not a fan of the shorter races, gimme a half marathon any day, so I wasn't looking forward to yesterday's 5k atall. My PB is 23.40, which I felt I wasn't going to beat. I had run a good bit during the week, so I felt I was a bit tired and achey.... but it's such a great race I had to sign up.

What a glorious morning, perfect conditions. My BIL and his girlfriend were also running it, her first race so they were going to just enjoy the run. Met RK before the race and then headed off to line up. I positioned myself not too far from the front but yet as per usual the number of walkers up the front was silly. I nearly ploughed into one in the first 200 meters. :rolleyes:

Unlike others I don't look at the watch atall during the race, I just try to keep the head down and keep on running. I find I need to concentrate more, I need to motivate myself a lot during a 5k, will myself on.....
    Can't say I enjoyed the race, it was tough, but I managed a time of 23.46, which I'm thrilled with.
    Very well organised race, definitely one I'd recommend.

Like I said before, I'm not a fan of the shorter races, gimme a half marathon any day, so I wasn't looking forward to yesterday's 5k atall. My PB is 23.40, which I felt I wasn't going to beat. I had run a good bit during the week, so I felt I was a bit tired and achey.... but it's such a great race I had to sign up.

What a glorious morning, perfect conditions. My BIL and his girlfriend were also running it, her first race so they were going to just enjoy the run. Met RK before the race and then headed off to line up. I positioned myself not too far from the front but yet as per usual the number of walkers up the front was silly. I nearly ploughed into one in the first 200 meters. :rolleyes:

Unlike others I don't look at the watch atall during the race, I just try to keep the head down and keep on running. I find I need to concentrate more, I need to motivate myself a lot during a 5k, will myself on.....
    Can't say I enjoyed the race, it was tough, but I managed a time of 23.46, which I'm thrilled with.

Well done K!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done jcsmum! That was great running.

I'm with you on the distance thing, I much prefer longer races. The thoughts of doing a 5K make me want to puke :o

Are you heading to Mallow at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on a great time - did you beat the BIL :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Decent time especially considering you aren't training for it,
    With you on the walkers thing!

RubyK wrote: »
    Well done jcsmum! That was great running.

I'm with you on the distance thing, I much prefer longer races. The thoughts of doing a 5K make me want to puke :o

Are you heading to Mallow at the weekend?

I'm not heading to Mallow... family stuff to do. I've no race lined up before Cork, might just focus on that to be honest. Will try to do as many long runs as I can (or I'm able) I'm up to 16 miles so I'm happy with that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Will try to do as many long runs as I can (or I'm able) I'm up to 16 miles so I'm happy with that. :)

You certainly are flying with those long runs, fair dues to you. Keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done in the 5k missus, that's brilliant going! And your Cork training is well on track, fair play to you for getting stuck in. I'm jealous of all this cork banter....:rolleyes: Keep up the good work. :)

Advertisement