Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    20 miles, pace 8:11. I'm absolutely delighted with this run.

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Tuesday May 14th
    Club session
    10 x ca. 415m (0.26 miles), 70-90 sec rec (thanks TBB :) )

The 5 reps slightly uphill and into the breeze were on average 1:37 and those the other way were 1:31. I always wonder if I could be working harder on these, they were tough but my comfort level was okay. I kept an equal pace on all the reps which is always the main aim for me and I kept in my group albeit the tail end of the group for the session - that's always a plus.
    With w/u and c/d 5 miles covered

Wednesday May 15
    Easy-ish morning run. Again, no plan but just to run. With the Firhouse road breeze, my eyes were streaming and I nearly crashed into a club member out walking her dog :rolleyes: Lovely morning, nothing much to report. 5 miles, 8:05 pace

they were tough but my comfort level was okay.

:)

Can't wait to hear your Cork result boss, pity there's no tracking :mad:

Mr Slow wrote: »

Yep, a damn shame! :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Get a bike and cycle beside her...if you can keep up that is!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »

If last year is anything to go by, he'd crash into me 200 meters from the finish line and destroy my sub 3 finish! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Wednesday May 15
    Easy-ish morning run. Again, no plan but just to run. With the Firhouse road breeze, my eyes were streaming and I nearly crashed into a club member out walking her dog :rolleyes: Lovely morning, nothing much to report. 5 miles, 8:05 pace

Fair play being able to get out the morning after intervals. Thats hard core. I shuffled out of bed like an old man :)

To quote Digger 'You should have been a comedian instead of an as5hole' ;)
    If last year is anything to go by, he'd crash into me 200 meters from the finish line and destroy my sub 3 finish! :rolleyes:

Would you like me to post the pictorial evidence? tongue.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's one of the things he's receiving treatment for :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That's one of the things he's receiving treatment for :D

Sorry, I meant to thank you for the referral. :D

• Advertisement

I leave my log for 10 minutes ........................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Don't say it like that!!:eek:

Sorry, I meant to thank you for the referral. :D

You're welcome, the GP had never encountered someone with three veg :D

Jeez, now I know why your hubby goes to play golf.... It's to get some fresh air! :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You're welcome, the GP had never encountered someone with three veg :D

He told me, they call you tripod on all the forms :p

GET OUT! :mad:;)

GET OUT! :mad:;)

This is a private conversation, hello?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Be glad that neither of them is doing Cork. Or are they? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Not long to go now jcsmum! You're in great shape for another savage pb :) Happy tapering!

Thursday May 16
    Club hill session. This is our usual 1 mile loop, 3 uphills, 3 downhills and flat bits scattered in between. We do 3 reps with 2 min recovery (the speedier guys do 4 or 5 :eek:). I set off in the second group with 5 or 6 others. Being honest, while they are tough I found yesterday's session pretty okay. My breathing can be a bit insane during the reps (well I feel it is), but once I finish them, I'm good to go again. My first rep was 6:28, second was 6:24. For the third and final rep, coach decided we would take it handy for the first half and build up speed for the second and try to get a similar rep time. The time was 6:26 for this one, so happy days. If asked, I would have done a fourth.
    Can't believe I'm not covered in bites today - the midges were out in full force!
    w/u 2 miles and c/d of 1 mile, so 6 total.

Friday may 17
    Rest day

• Advertisement

That's great that lately you're feeling stronger and recovering quicker! ;-)

Cork will be a walk for you.

Saturday May 18
    I hadn't planned on racing again until after Cork, but I got a free entry to the Sportsworld 5 miler and it would be rude not to accept :). With this in mind, I had to alter my weekend training schedule, I was under strict instructions not to run any great distance or speed on Saturday. 8 easy miles were the order of the day, pace 8:50.

Sunday May 19
    Despite telling myself that I didn't need to go flat out and race this and also feeling that my PB of 34:04 from a few months ago would be hard to beat, I was a bundle of nerves the morning of the race. I think I wanted a good race to boost my confidence for Cork. I parked the car in Tesco in Rathfarnham and jogged down to Terenure College. Met up with some clubmates - so many people from the club were running it was great and we had a lot of support on the course.

I lined up maybe 8-10 rows back, which once again turned out to be too far back. The first half mile was a bit conjested and I seemed to be doing a bit of dodging and weaving to get into a decent rhythm. My first mile was my slowest at 6:55. To be honest I only looked at the garmin at each mile and my pace was pretty consistent each time. I felt really good all the way round, couldn't believe how good I felt. Lots of shout-outs along the route were brilliant. Thank you A! I couldnt' believe the number of people I was overtaking....all the time. Confidence was high, breathing was decent, the legs were holding up too, although they did begin to tire on the last mile. The heat wasn't too bad but I was glad we weren't running any further than 5 miles.

My running buddy from the club was out on support duty and he roared at me '1000 meters to go, dig in'. So I did, I just kept the head down, legs moving and positive thougths flowing. With maybe 200 meters to the line, a guy in a white tshirt stopped up dead, I pushed him on the back and roared 'come ON' and he muttered 'okay, thanks'. Then he took off like a bullet, overtook me and finished ahead of me! Charming :rolleyes::D Throughout my entire spint finish I could only hear one voice, cheerleader supreme, Marthastew! She was in full voice and it was wonderful to hear! Crossed the line to a gang of club supporters, garmin read 34:00.

I think that this race has been the best race for me tactically. I didn't start off too fast, I eased myself into a decent pace, held it throughout the race and speeded up for the last mile. I felt comfortable throughout and the overtaking just upped my confidence all the way around.

Grabbed some water and fruit and sat on the grass with a bunch of people from the club. With all my yapping, by the time I went in for a cuppa, all the sandwiches were gone :( It was a brilliant organisation by everyone at Sportworld, everything ran really smoothly.

My chip time was 34:02, a 2 second PB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super stuff. Well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done K. Super result from a super spell of training. Is it 2 weeks to Cork now?

I felt really good all the way round, couldn't believe how good I felt.

:D

Well done boss! ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

I spotted the Oylgate t-shirt on Sat while corralling the kids into Rathfarnham Church for Communion mass - easy 8, followed by a 5 mile PB - nice work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am in awe of your race times. It's seriously impressive how you are racing and training so consistently and hitting all your goals. You must be chomping at the bit for Cork now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB, looks like everything is set for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thrilled for you K, a very well deserved result..... Cork here she comes:D:D:D
    You also forgot to mention that you looked cool, calm, collected and cute on the finishing straight:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great running on a hot day

Looking very good for cork. Whats the target?

Advertisement